A Brewing Rebellion

300 Into the Future

 [-]

  The King had those sick people burned alive.

  There was a moment of silence between the princes and the soldier, with the addition of the girl by the gate as they all allowed this insane reality to sink in.

  All that because he was jealous of what the people were calling Dara?

  "I'm going back." The third prince mumbled, getting onto his stallion, his eyes wavering with a mixture of shock and fury. That crazy bastard cannot just attacked his people for no reasons. He didn't care what was going on to the rest of Dal precisely for the sake of keeping at least the Boseok City's people safe. But what right does Taeil have to slaughter his people when he had never crossed the latter's path?

  "The soldiers are still there, aren't they?" The Ice Lord asked quietly, and the reporting soldier nodded fervently. The Ice Lord exhaled and glanced towards the direction of the residence and Dara quickly shifted herself away from his view. "I'll be right behind."

  Donghae gave a solemn nod and rode off ahead.

  With a sigh, Jiyong made his way over to Dara, who had stuck her back against the wall of the gates inside the residence, looking despondant and devastated.

  "Hey," Jiyong called out and Dara looks up before opening to speak, but Jiyong cut across her immediately. "Don't even think about it, the soldiers are there looking for you. You're staying." He announced firmly, and Dara's hopeful eyes slackened.

  "Why did he have to do that? What on earth is wrong with him?" Dara asked softly. Not bearing to see her like that, the Ice Lord cupped her small face in his hands.

  "It's alright. You'll be alright." He assured her. But deep inside him, he knows that Taeil's insanity is going to pose as a threat to Dara's safety sooner or later. "Find Seungri and tell him what happened at Boseok; I haven't seen that imp in days. I'll be right back."

   Dara nodded dispiritedly, wondering if its her fault that all these things are happening. She recalls the herself jokingly telling the people to call her whatever they wanted. If only she had know that it would cost them their lives.

 


  The Boseok City was in chaos. Rolls of high quality, expensive silk lay strewn on the ground of the marketplace along with goods of all sorts. There was shouting and angry yells echoeing all over the town square where the people had gathered. Aghasted at the state of the country's second richest district, Jiyong pushed past the sea of people to the front where the charred remains of what used to be a makeshift hospital was. On the ground lay some over ten bodies that were covered by white sheets.

  Donghae, the governor of the town was nowhere in sight. The capitol's soldiers were lined up against the pushing of the angry mob. The people's cry about injustice fell on the deaf ears of the soldiers, although some of them that were on duty looked throughly uncomfortable with the entire situation.

  "If you're waiting for us to hand over the fairy, you can dream on!" A gruffy man yelled, and it was met with loud support and approvals from the crowd.

  Disturbed, Jiyong went off to seek for Donghae, whom he eventually found in his study, packing his stuff in silent rage.

  "I'm going to the palace." Donghae said in a pressed voice before his brother even spoke.

  "It's no use. Taeil doesn't allow anyone to enter the palace anymore."

  ", then am I supposed to leave things as it is?" Donghae slammed his table lividly, seething with wrath. Jiyong understood his reasons for being angry, but it was his first time seeing this brother of his as furious as he is now. Technically speaking, Donghae was never bothered with the rest of them. He was the first to move out of the palace, and he was never as close to Seunghyun Hyung as the rest of the other three brothers were.

  They remained silent for a moment. All that could be heard was the heavy breathing of the third prince.

  "You said the Northern sides are planning a rebellion?"

  "Hyung-" Jiyong said quickly. "You said that you weren't intending to-"

  "I know what I said, Jiyong." Donghae snapped. "But while I was saying that that crazy brother of ours were igniting my people and my properties." 

  "What if it flops?" Jiyong exhaled.

  Donghae gave a dry, sarcastic laugh, gesturing to the world outside the room.

  "It can't get any worse."

  "It can." The younger of the two said determinely, straightening up. "I can't do it. There's too much to lose for me. Take care of yourself, then."

  The Ice Lord turned to leave but was stopped again by Donghae.

  "Seungri would join." The latter announced.

  The leaving turned around with an irked expression. Seungri can't join. "He's not going to go around meddling in politics, hyung. You know that's the only way to keep him safe."

  "Seungri's not a child anymore. He has his own thoughts. You know how much he dislikes the rule of Taeil."

  "Those were Seunghyun hyung's wishes."

  "And what about the young one's own wish?" Donghae retorts.

  Jiyong clamped his mouth shut and glared at his third brother. He never really cared about them. Why is he so concerned about maknae's psychological wellbeing only now? They only think about Seungri while they have a use for him, completely disregarding the kind of danger that they will put him through for their own cause.

  "I'm going." Jiyong said finally, and without waiting for the Boseok governor's reply, he left.

 


[Dara]

  Soo Hyuk was right.

  He said that Taeil wouldn't stand for anyone being more respected than him in this place and it really happened.

  I sighed, pacing up and down the front yard with uneasiness. Those people can't really be dead can they? Surely there must be some hope, surely those soldiers, as people too, wouldn't blindly follow such an absurd and ridiculous order would they?

  Or maybe I should be occupied with being worried for myself first. He wants the Boseoks to hand me over. Is there a reason that I have to die for him to be satisfied? 

  On the other hand... Jiyong. He's not in Boseok slaying people again or cutting his way out is he? It makes my palms sweat just thinking about the possibility of them being outnumbered by the capitol's soldiers. But it can't be... definitely, definitely Donghae would've his own forces back there. He'll be alright... He'll be alright. If only Seungri was here...

  Speaking of Seungri, all I got from his residence was there he hadn't been home for days. Knowing the sort of person he is, this shouldn't be any headlines. But with the situation out there, everything seems worrying. There are people whose resentment for the King had extend out onto the entire imperial family, regardless of whether they live in the palace or not. Unless he's out doing something important, shouldnt he be back by now?

  All these queriness and uneasiness feels like waves of nausea. It's so disorientating. I clicked my tongue, settling myself down on the porch as I rubbed my hands together to ease the strange nervousness inside me. 

  "My Lord." Jisoo's distant voice greeted and I shot up immediately, rushing forward to the gate. Thank goodness that Jiyong returned himself in one piece. Flooded with relief, I tugged him closer speechlessly by the arms, eyes scantering around his body for any signs of hurt. Jiyong smiled a little, with the side of his lips curling upwards and he stretched his arms out by his sides to comply on my examination. 

  He's really fine. Now that one of my worries were put down, I immediately asked about the situation in Boseok. Jiyong's smile faltered, and he shook his head grimly.

  The King had really killed those people.

  Inhumane.

  "Where's Seungri?" Jiyong asked softly upon the horrified look of disbelief on my face. 

  "He's not home, the servants there said that he hasn't been home in days." I blabbered quickly after realising that I had almost forgotten to answer Jiyong as I stared at him with my mouth gaping, silently wondering how is he taking in the fact that it was none other than his own brother that had put these defenseless people to death...

  "He's not?" Jiyong frowned, his brows creasing together. "This git...."

  "What's wrong?" I asked.

  "There are people... the leaders of the other factions and districts that are keen on getting that kid on board their plans of starting a revolt..." Jiyong said slowly, looking as though he is distracted with the thoughts of wondering where else Seungri could be. 

  A rebellion. Whispers about a possible rebellion is spreading like wildfire among the people in town. Why would they want Seungri to join in if its his older brother they're planning to overthrow? But then if they had contacted Seungri, that means that....

  "You can't join a rebellion, Jiyong." The words shot out from my mouth before I know it. Jiyong blinked at my sudden burst of words, slightly stunned.

  "I-"

  "It's too dangerous." I said. I get the reason why these people wanted to rebel, and I think the King completely deserves it. I mean, how can a leader indulge in lavish enjoyments and expenditure when his own citizens are starving to death right outside his palace gates? When the disease spreaded and the poor cried for help, his doors remained shut and his ears remained close. Not to mention the fact that he's a tyrant that has zero regards for his people's lives. A leader like him has to be overpowered in order for the people to survive and the country to grow. I understand all that... but I just couldn't see Jiyong join in the bloodbath.. Nor Seungri. Who knows how much weapons did the King accumulate with that wealth and how strong is his personal military? 

  "Promise me." I pleaded, and Jiyong hesitated. I was right, he is considering their offer. "I know those people said that they need you, but I need you too." I whispered. 

  His chocolate brown eyes roamed my face briefly, his expression unreadable, before he pulled me into his arms. Wait! I don't need a hug, I need his assurance! "Don't join them, okay?" I tried again.

  "Yeah." He answered dryly.

  Somehow, that unsettling feeling did not leave at his promise. Somehow, his assurance didn't felt genuine. But I chose to trust him instead.

 

  But they were right. Promises were predestinied to be broken.

 

 

 


Almost.... Almost near the end now.