The Final Straw

300 Into the Future


[-]

  The candle fire cackled in the transparent greenhouse that is lit only by the faint moonlight outside. The tall,slim, and good looking Dal King carressed his mother's beloved porcelain flowers in between his fingers, his ears ringing with her mother's orders to have their prisoner killed. He gestured to one of his soldier, who nodded at the majesty's command and proceeded to splash the basin of icy cold water on the captured one that was unconscious with his wrists shackled on either side of two metal poles. 

 "So, which one of them is your spy?" The King inquired after his subject of interrogation awoke spluttering and coughing.

  Seungri stared up at his half brother through his hooded eyelids and damp fringe, revealing nothing but his deep hatred and disgust towards the one who had grew up with him. In front of him knelt four different palace servants and maids, shaking silently with fear.

  "Not telling?" Taeil commented pleasantly, smiling a little at his little brother. Oh. How adorable he looks being defiant like this, thinking that he'll actually make a difference. "Drag them out and kill them all." The King ordered to his soldiers, his smile gone, his eyes never leaving the ones of Seungri, which widened in horror.

  "No!" The fifth prince yelled, straining against the chains that held him immobile. It was futile. He watched as the innocents as dragged out of the greenhouse, crying in terror and begging for mercy. "YOU!" He spat, his eyes burning with fury that pierced straight into the King's eyes.

  The King wiped his hands on a piece of silver satin hankerchief calmly.

  "You know," Taeil started, strolling leisurely as if he didn't just have 4 innocent human lives slaughtered and as if he's speaking to a brother over teas and cakes instead of having him shackled up infront of him. "I liked you better, Seungri, when you were still that ignorant cassanova that cared about nothing in the world except for women and play. Well, even though I must admit, you were such a shame to the royal household even then. Dumb, undeniably, but much less of a trouble."

  "You killed Hyung." The youngest prince hissed.

  "Such accusations."

  "Accusations." Seungri repeated with a cruel, mocking laugh. "You killed Hyung because you knew without him you'd be next in line to be the Crown Prince. You killed Hyung because you knew you'll never shine with him around and you'll have to live under his shadow for your entire pathetic life."

  The King's hands stopped fiddling with the piece of expensive cloth. The area was radiating with a dark, pent up energy but Seungri continued manically.

  "And now? I guess you murdered father too. For what, I wonder? Too impatient to ascend the throne? What else could it be? Or maybe you're still insecure that he wouldn't pass down the throne to you even when you're already the Crown Prince?" Seungri laughed darkly.  "You're impatient for power because you feel inferior to even Jiyong Hyung." He finishes.

  Swiftly, the King grabbed the sword from the swordcase strapped on the waist of one of the soldier and held it by Seungri's neck.

  "Watch your words." The King warned, shaking with anger, his eyes glowing with a mad gleam.

  "But what's the use,Taeil... Hyung." Seungri mocked, smirking at the effect of him spitting out Taeil's darkest secrets. "So what if you're the King now? What's the use of the title if the people don't repect you? They loathe you. All you ever do is to stay in your broken palace, walloping your days away without giving any s about the people out there, dying, suffering and starving. They worship Dara, a mere girl, more than you, the King! Because she cared for them and bothered to find a way to mend them up. They look up to Jiyong hyung more than you because he actually puts himself out there with his sword to guard the people!"

  "ENOUGH!" The King bellowed, trembling. 

  "If you want to be a King this badly, Hyung, then at least do it right."  Seungri said quietly.

  Taeil shook his head, his eyes unstable and fleeting. Seungri understood why some people had claimed that the King is insane. 

 "No..." The King said to himself, still shaking his head feverishly. "They will never respect me with them around... I can never be a true King with Jiyong around..." He muttered with conviction like a madman. Seungri watched with silent horror at the wreck Taeil had let himself become.

  "They have to die." He whispered finally, enlightened. 

 


[-]

 

  Dara only agreed on returning to Fire with Jiyong when the last of the patients are well enough to take care of themselves. Jiyong thought that he was well trained in weights but he thought his arms were going to break right off the joints with the baskets and boxes full of cakes and fruits that the Boguk people had showered Dara with on her way out. She had declined the gemstones and rolls of fine silk, accepting only things that were edible.

  Exhausted and having only just recovered from her own fever, Dara plunged straight into her bed once they reached home, knocking off the moment her hair touches the pillow. It's weird how this strange world had became home to her, and how her room in the Ice Lord's residence feels more familiar to her than anywhere else now. The servants hurried forward to move the gifts into the kitchen and Jiyong walked into her room, shaking his head at how she is snoring away. But then again, he finally got her home. He finally got her back. He didn't even wanted to think about that day he hurted her and made her leave. The home he knows doesn't feel like a home anymore if she wasn't around, following behind his heels in every mundane thing he does.

  He made himself a spot on the bed beside her with his face propped up on his arm, watching how her face seems so stress-free as if there is nothing that worries her in her sleep. The most amazing thing about being right by the side of someone you love means that no matter how messed up the world is out there, how loud the poeple are crying for a rebellion, a revolution, you could still be at peace, counting your own breath and hers. All he needed was literally just her, Park Dara.

​- - - - - -

  Dara groaned softly, scratching the tip of her nose before rolling herself over. She lifted her eyelids a little to see Jiyong lying beside her, his eyes gazing intently at her with a small smirk on his lips as he realised she's awake.

  "You've been looking at me like this the whole night?" Dara croaked, her eyes half closed. Jiyong nodded.

  "I'm such a creep." He said darkly. Dara chuckled  while being half asleep, immediately sending a smile on his face.

  "Its still early in the morning... Sleep..." She muttered, lifting her hand limply to push his head down on the bed but all it managed was to graze down his face, making him recoil in amusement.

  "I can't, you're snoring too loudly."

  Dara muttered a muffled protest in annoyance and flipped herself around to sleep in peace while facing the wall.

  "The negligence." Jiyong commented pointedly.

   No response.

  "I feel neglected." The boy tried again, this time clearing his throat before saying it. Again, she only lifted her hand slightly in answer. "You were the one that told me to tell you what I feel!" He complained grudgingly.

  "Not when I'm trying to sleep, Jiyong." Dara turned around and opened her eyes grogily, smiling at the sight of her scowling boyfriend. Reaching up, she pulled his face down to her with both hands which he complied without resistance and she planted a small kiss on his lips. Only that in her drowsy state, it landed on his jaw instead. "There." She muttered, grinning sleepily.

  "God, Dara, I swear..." Jiyong muttered hoarsely, something stirring inside him. Damn it, of all the spots she could've kissed... He didn't finish himself before he leaned down and took her lips in his again, this time properly.

   Dara squealed as he slipped his tongue into before on her lower lip, his hand gently pulling her hair back, sending that mixture of fired up energy and ecstasy inside her again.

   "Wait, I'm not done sleeping." Dara gasped as his hand gripped on her ribs.

   "You had enough sleep." He said huskily, his eyes clouded.

   "No wait," Dara sighed, pulling Jiyong away with a serious face. "I missed you."

   Upon the sincere look on Dara's face, Jiyong exhaled and gathered her in his arms instead.

   "I was scared that you weren't coming to get me back." Dara admitted softly, snuggling up close into his chest, taking in his scent. He stayed quiet, his heart squeezing at her confession, his thumb her back gently. "You have so many things bottled up inside you, Jiyong. What are you keeping in here?" She askes, jabbing the left side of his chest softly while glancing up at him, pouting.

  "You." Jiyong said quietly after a while. The girl smiled bitterly and he returned it. "There's only you in here, Dara Park."

  Seeming to decide that she was contented with just that, Dara buried her face into his neck again and he sighed in contentment of just holding her close to him mundanely on a day like this.

  But their intimacy was disrupted by a series of loud clangs outside. Dara climbed out of bed and with a groan of frustration, Jiyong followed suit.

  "I swear if it Seungri again, I'll shred him into bits..." Jiyong growled, ripping the doors of the room open to get to the front gate.

  But it wasn't. Instead, what greeted the couple early in the morning was an entire, full-scale wedding procession with at least 2 dozen men heaving racks of various betrothal gifts and a live marching band. Both in awe and horrified at the same time, Dara looked up aruptly from the crowd to the third prince who had chased her here all the way from Boguk. Donghae tilted his head slightly at the bewildered girl.

  "I told you I was serious about it." He smirked.

  Dara turned to look at Jiyong, who was gaping like she is at the unexpected 'guests'. With still parted in shock, Dara gestured to his half brother before raising her finger beside her temple to make small spiralling motions in the air.

  "He was a little irregular even when we were kids." An astonished Jiyong laughed dryly, "Come hyung, talk to me. Dara, wait in my room." He said exasperatedly, pulling Donghae away.

    - - - - -

     Creeped out, Dara quickly left the awkward looking bridal gifts marching team and hurried into Jiyong's room, wondering how on earth is Jiyong going to cure that crazy dude. She didn't understand why on earth is he so obsessed with her, when they don't even know each other? For starters she wasn't even that much of a beauty to begin with!

  She strolled around the room, biting on her nails nervously. Okay, this is getting a little out of hand. He was actually seriously serious about wanting her to be his bride. What if he uses his princey-authority on her to force her to oblige into this historically-most-absurd-marraige? She has seen the way Jiyong was bounded down when he was made to be engaged to Princess Kiko on royal orders. Thaatttt wouldn't happen to her righttttttttt? ​But again, other than Jiyong, who else, or what else is going to protect her from this clinically insane prince? Her Korean citizenship? GAHHHH

  As she paced the room waiting eargerly for the nonsense outside to clear away, her eyes fell on an opened envelope tucked under Jiyong's messily stacked scrolls of official documents. Curious, she dug it out and was surprised to found it to be mailed from the Queen of Pyul.

  The letter thanked him for visiting her to let her know of her daughters wishes against Princess Yuka's marriage to King Taeil.

  Guilt washed over Dara as she remembered how upset she was with Jiyong when he didn't explain what he was doing when he went to Pyul. She thought it was something related to the Princess instead.

​- - - - -

  "What are you doing hyung?" Jiyong hissed, releasing Donghae from his grasp.

  "I told you about Park Dara." Donghae frowned in annoyance.

  Jiyong clamped his hand on his forehead. Great, now that Lee Soo Hyuk is gone, his own brother is here to provide more ridiculous drama.

  "Don't you have more things to be concerned about?" Jiyong tried, "Look, the Northern side is growing more and more pissed off with the King. They're planning to rebel. I'm sure they had sent you an invitation to-"

  "You know I have no interest in commiting treason, Jiyong. And I advice you not to stand up against the King either, who knows what he-"

  "He's getting crazier and crazier. His soldiers are just beheading people on the streets now."

   Donghae stared at Jiyong, who paused. He seems to contemplate the reality of the state of monarchy in their nation for a moment, before exhaling heavily and turning away from his younger brother. "It's not in our authority to control that."

  They remained silent, distracted from the issue of the bridal proposal momentarily while they remained deep in thought about the offers that they were sure the leaders of the northern side of Dal had sent in secret to the other districts.

  "Taeil was never someone to cross." Donghae said finally, in a small but firm voice. He did not explictly mentioned the fate of their oldest brother but the latter understood his reference. "I won't stop you if you want to be the righteous warrior that you are, but if you are going to be one then let me have Park Dara. She'll be safer with me."

   Jiyong narrowed his eyes to retort at Donghae's suggestion but they were interrupted by a Boguk guard that was galloping towards them on his stallion almost at full speed. Before he halted his horse, the panicking soldier had leaped straight off. There were soot smudges at the side of his face as he ran up towards his governor.

  "Your Highness..." The soldier blabbered, sinking to a kneel. An omnious feeling immediately shrouded Jiyong and Donghae as they exchanged confused looks.

  "The Palace soldiers had...set fire to the hospital with the final recuperating patients inside....." He stammered.

  "What for? What is the palace forces during in my territory?" The third prince bellowed, the ferocity in his voice immediately halting the marching band's playing. Finally hearing nothing but peace outside, Dara poked her head out from the gates.

  "They- they- they said it was- it was a warning to the people that were calling Miss Dara a Celestial Fiary or the Heaven's Daughter.... That no one but the King is a child of the heavens... and they..." The soldier gulped. Behind them, Dara gasped inaudibly, clapping her hand to .

  "And they are demanding us to hand over Miss Dara or they will start slaughtering our people." He exclaimed hoarsely.

 


Slowly, slowly, driving the King to total insanity.

Hold on to next week for now!
(Shamelessly asking all of you who haven't upvoted yet to do me a huge favor by upvoting and letting me know your view down below~)​
 
Meanwhile, just some update for my regulars,
I have started a new story where I dramatize BIGBANG's music video that are sort of ambiguous (Or not) into a one shot story
and for now I have Tell Me Goodbye down so you might want to check it out and subscribe!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1088301/bigbang-mv-intepretations-bigbang