You Don't Deserve Her

300 Into the Future

Guess who's on time this week!


[Dara]

 

  Boseok City. The City of Gems.

  I sighed inwardly, putting the leafet of handwritten print- an equivilant to the newspaper for the rich here in Dal, down on the pavillion. Beside it lay the long opened letter from Lee Donghae, the governor in Boseok, which holds the request for me to go down to their town to help out the still infected people there. Accordingly, there are still hundreds of civillians showing signs of this dengue-fever like disease, making it the current worst affected city. Despite the prove that the illness isn't contagious and all they have to do is to clear the stagnant water around them to prevent breeding, the people there are still mortally afraid of leaving their houses, including the physicians. 

  To go or not to go? To help or not to help?

  I clicked my tongue in contemplation, eyeing that unreplied letter. The place is Lee Donghae's territory afterall... I shuddered a little at the reminder of the creepy and uncomfortable things he had said to me in Seungri's presence. Is he being serious or is he just a joker? What if he turns out to be someone like King Taeil? It's so strange that, absurd even, although all four brothers shared the same father, they all turn out to be nothing like him, nor each other, at all.

  But then again, these people will all die if they don't seek help. More will catch the disease if they don't rid their surroundings of the deadly insects, and they'll never recover like the other cities. Despite being the second richest city in Dal, these money isn't going to save them if they don't climb out from their blankets and listen.

  Gahhh. To go or not to g-
 

  "Dara."

  I frowned at my name and turned around. A considerably dressed down Soo Hyuk stood at the front gate of the residence. I inhaled sharply, barely masking my surprise at his appearance which seems to have hurt him as he shuffled his feet uncomfortably. Gone was his crown and golden colored armour. He is really dressed down, considering his new status which is hard to accept. 

  I closed my gaping mouth and looked around. What is he doing here? Inviting him in would be an act of insanity. I exhaled in resignation and pulled myself out.

  "I heard about the plague, Dara." Soo Hyuk said heavily, his brows knitting tightly together. I guess the Taeyangs must've found out. I eyed him suspiciously. He isn't the old Hyuk that I know, but the Taeyangs can't be lowly enough to take advantage of this situation can they?

  "What... do you want to know?" The words rolled out from my mouth slowly. Confusion flickered over Soo Hyuk's eyes as he searched my wary gaze, before he figured out my concern: What if he betrays my trust for a second time?

  A mixture of emotions flashed across his eyes as he withdrew himself and pursed his lips tightly shut. Anger, hurt, resignation, understanding, frustration and more hurt.

  But why else would he be here for?

  "This place isn't safe for you, Dara." Soo Hyuk breathed out finally, looking resigned and weary. I blinked in surprise, the wariness in me dissipating but not fully gone. He's worried.. about me.

  Guilt floods.

  "Come with me, Dara. It's safer in Taeyang."

  I swallowed at his offer. Not because I'm tempted to, but I couldn't understand why is he still being like this to me.

  "There's no floods there, or plagues, or tyrants for Kings." He tried again.

  I was speechless, my face blank, reflecting the direct opposite of the situation in my mind. Maybe my eyes had a tortured look to them, because Soo Hyuk frowned in frustration.

  "Take the Ice Lord with you if that's what the matter is. " He said quietly. 

   I drop my gaze to the ground. 

  "It's not that, Hyuk." I sighed out. He lifted his eyes in surprise at the way I addressed him. "I'm fine here."

  "Fine?" Soo Hyuk countered, looking at me as if I am merely a confused child that couldn't tell what's happening as he grabbed my shoulders. "People are dying. Thousands of people. Why don't you get it, Park Dara? I know you cured some people, and now they revere you. I heard some of the names they call you, and it's not going to sit well with Kim Taeil. He's not going to stand someone being more respected in this country than he is, Dara."

  He's not going to stand someone being more respected in this country than he is? What does that mean? But then again I didn't ask for all these hoo-ha, I just did what his physicians failed at. So he's going to hunt me down for a remedy that turns out better than his? I've seen his eyes and I know he's probably capable of doing just that. But there wouldn't be a place that's safer than here. I know Jiyong wouldn't let him-

  A scream escaped from my mouth before I could realise what was going on. Soo Hyuk landed on the ground with a dull thud and his assailant straightened up, revealing himself to be just the one whom I had just thought of. I stared, mortified, at Jiyong who had appeared out of nowhere that is now yanking Soo Hyuk up by his collar. 

  I thought I heard Seungri but I was too frozen to turn around and confirm that. 

  "Stay the away from her." Jiyong snarled, slamming Soo Hyuk to the brick fence with such force that I staggered backwards in alarm. 

  Soo Hyuk groaned and reopened his eyes with the same amount of fire and could that be.. taunting?

  "Are you this insecure, Ice Lord?" Soo Hyuk mocked with a bloodied lip.

  "Shut up already, Hyuk!" I squealed in panic, knowing how far Jiyong can go when he's pissed off. But it was too late, his words had infuriated Jiyong further and he swung his fist straight at Soo Hyuk.

  Soo Hyuk ducked and Jiyong's punch landed on the brick instead. He barely even winced. Taking the moment, Soo Hyuk kicked Jiyong off him. I almost sighed in relief as they seperated but there was a loud scratch of metal and something glittered against the setting sun. 

  They had both drew their swords.

  This is getting out of hand. My screams and pleading for them to stop seem to have fallen on deaf ears. 

  "Do something!" I shrieked at Seungri, who was indeed watching the entire scene unfold with shocked eyes as the first clang that indicated the start of the duel sounded. 

  "What happened to your princey role in Taeyang, Lee?" Jiyong snapped, deflecting a blow from Soo Hyuk's blade. 

  "I'm taking her with me." Soo Hyuk growled. Jiyong's eyes widened with fury at this and raised his sword again, this time aiming for his opponent's throat.

  They're going to kill each other before the sun sets.

  Seungri launched forward, grabbing his older brother by the back of his shoulders in attempt to drag him away from the fight, but it didn't take 5 full seconds for the younger one to be flung away onto the ground. Soo Hyuk advanced again and this time, the steel missed Jiyong's heart by inches.

  "Soo Hyuk!" I screamed, my own heart skipping a beat. He almost killed him.

  They remained deaf under the deadly exchanges and the sparks that were generated every time their weapons made contact.

  Gritting my teeth and praying for the best, I stepped forward and attempted to stop Jiyong, my heart mad with the fear of the possibility of being accidentally stabbed or sliced into two. He completely ignored me, his eyes focused on his opponent with hatred that seems to blind him from anything else. It was a terrifying gaze. Why is he being like this?

 

[-]

  The fervent pleading from the girl for him to stop seems to be fueling his irritation and fury further. He couldn't tell if she's saying that for his sake or trying to protect that darn bastard anymore. All these pent up frustration from their relationship that's slowly becoming rockier and rockier erupted at the sight of his hands on her. He lied to her. He ing made use of her. How dare he show himself infront of his woman like that again and again?

  But he knew it doesn't work in a one-way direction. She must've forgave him. Ofcourse, she's so stupidly kind hearted that it annoys him sometimes. He didn't thought the new crown prince of Taeyang deserved her forgiveness but she probably didn't think the same way as he does. Doesn't she see whats ing wrong with this punk? He had just declared that he's taking her away and she's stopping him from hacking the life out of him!

  Jiyong flung his arm away from his girl and swung his blade at Soo Hyuk, who deflected it with a harsh growl. But something was wrong as the latter's eyes fell on the connected blades that was shaking with the energy exerted on both side. His eyes widened just as the same moment the Ice Lord's did.

  There were droplets of crimson on the reflective metal of Jiyong's weapon.

  Horrified, Soo Hyuk pushed Jiyong off him and started towards Dara, who was clutching her forearm with silent tears. There was a long, shallow cut on her porcelain skin, shining with scarlet. Dara seemed to have given up, sitting defeated on the ground, weeping quietly, shedding tears that dripped from her long lashes onto her wound, making the blood run from her arm.

  The Crown Prince of Taeyang shoved the frozen Dal general and bent down beside the girl, who refuses to look at him.

  "That's how he treats you?" Soo Hyuk asked in a disgusted voice, glaring up at his opponent, who was staring at them with a blank face.

  "It was an accident, Crown Prince." Seungri snapped immediately, but he too, flashed his stoned brother a reproaching look.

  "Come with me, Dara. I can do better than this bastard. I can take care of you too." Soo Hyuk begged softly.

  Jiyong's eyes shifted to her wound and winced, his throat dry, his inside squeezing in an unbearable pain. He cut her. He hurt her.

  Seungri stared at his speechless brother with disbelief. The crown prince just made his move! Why is he standing there as silent as a statue? Does he not want to keep her? Why is he such an idiot? At least apologise!

  Dara looked at Soo Hyuk's hand that was stretched out for her without lifting her head, tears still glistening in her eyes. Somehow, her chest seems to be hurting more than her arm. Her chest seems to be bleeding more than her arm. 

  "Leave me alone." Dara said hollowly, getting to her feet unsteadily while pushing Soo Hyuk's helping hands away. They weren't so keen to listen to her when she was begging for them to stop. 

  Dara lifted her eyes to Jiyong, her gaze filled with resentment and disappointment, her lips twisted with pain. She gave him so many chances but he lets her go again and again. She's too tired to continue trying. Jiyong's face was scribbled all over with regret as he held her gaze, his own eyes pleading for her to stay but she couldn't see it anymore.

  "I don't need any of you." Dara whispered, her glare stuck on Jiyong's face without sparing Soo Hyuk a glance, and she walked back into the residence on her own. 

  Soo Hyuk clenched his fists as Dara disappeared out of sight before pulling Jiyong by the collars and glowered at him. The Ice Lord remained limp without any more fight left in him. Deciding that it's not worth it, Soo Hyuk growled.

  "You don't deserve her. You don't even know how to treat her." 

  With that, he ed the Ice Lord away from him and left, returning the glare that his younger brother was showing him.

  Seungri flashed his eyes to his brother, dissatisfaction written over his features. He understands Dara's dismay now. How can he remain this silent???

  "You're an idiot, hyung." Seungri sighed and abandoned his brother at his spot, looking forelorn and emptied.

 

  Now completely alone, Jiyong's gaze flickered to his blood stained sword and pursed his lips together, his insides tearing apart bit by bit,by the words she left and by the blood he caused. Aching and not knowing how to stop it, he hurled his sword away from his hand and stared at the dimming sky. I'm insane. He thought, running his hand through his hair. Why is he like that? Why did he hurt her? Why can't he tell her what he feels like the way Lee Soo Hyuk is able to? Why is he so miserable?

  He ran his hand through his hair, messing it up as he shut his eyes.

  Maybe he had been so happy. So unrealistically happy with her that the fear of this mad, crazy euphoria would disappear into thin air is slowly eating him away. So afraid that he would be broken beyond repairment should this foreign contentment with life be snatched away from him. So scared with the possibility of losing her that he ceased to speak for fear of saying something wrong. Too happy that he's  terrified. Too terrified to be happy.

  But now this fear is becoming reality.

  There was a shuffle by the gates and Jiyong looked down from the sky to see the girl who's on his mind re-emerged from the house, her arm now cleanly bandanged, with her straw woven bag slung across her chest. The feeling of uneasiness welled up in him as she treaded past him with an empty expression, her eyes stuck on the ground.

  Before she could go any further, Jiyong hastily grabbed Dara's wrist. She halted.

  "Where're you going?" He asked hollowly.

  With lifting her eyes to him, Dara reached into her pockets and pulled out an opened envelope. Jiyong plucked the letter from her fingers and she wriggled her hand free from his pale hand.

  She left without another word and without goodbye, and Jiyong stared at her retreating figure until it disappeared into a dot in the distance before glancing down at the yellowish envelope.

  It's the invitation that Boseok City had sent for her to help. 




Enjoyed writing this chapter.

I was thinking about ending the story around chapter 40. What do y'all think?

Meanwhile, I have some new ideas to share with you guys, stay tuned!!!