Chapter Two

Chameleon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the previous chapter, I forget to say hi. So... "Hi."

“So, which one you choose as your roommate?” Park Kahi asks. “We need to make arrangement today because the show will be start tomorrow.”

“Choi Sooyoung, age 25. Born February 10th, 1990. The youngest member of her family,” Jessica answers.

“Potential victim or potential suspect?”

“Both. She travels a lot since 3 years ago. And this Chameleon is start killing people around that year too,” Jessica explains. “I think she is easily making friend. She took many pictures with different people. In my opinion, The Chameleon female’s task is digging information from the potential victim. She is the one who makes sure which one is the rich girl from the show. Easily making friend is one of the conditions she should have, right?”

“I can see my detective did her homework last night,” Kahi looks satisfied. “But how about…”

“Im Yoon A, born May 30th, 1990. Same age with Choi Sooyoung. Also the youngest member in her family,” Jessica interrupts. “She’s an observer or maybe she has awkward personality. She’s typical of princess style. Although she looks kind, at the same time she looks unapproachable. It’s like she lives in higher place than most people in the world. She’s more potent as victim than suspect.”

“Why you choose fifty-fifty suspect than potential victim?”

“Copying the quote, ‘keep your friend close, but enemy closer’,” Jessica smiles. “And you said it yourself, I like challenge. In fact, I’m not just like it, I really love it.”

“Great answer,” Kahi agrees. “I think you already prepared yourself, huh? I heard you asked Detective Hwang to take care of your sister.”

“Even walls can’t keep secret from you, huh?” Jessica answers. “I know my sister can take care of herself, but I prefer she stays safe when I’m not around. I just trust my partner for that job. Do you mind?”

“Not at all,” Kahi said. “She can take your sister if she needs to take a shift to observe you if your sister doesn’t mind of course.”

“Thank you for your understanding,” Jessica bows and excuses herself to leave that room.

“Why I should hiding in your secret door when she talks to you?” Tiffany asks. “I’m her partner. I think she doesn’t mind if I listen to the conversation too. And I think you push her too far, Boss. You know how her relationship with her sister is. That incident…”

Kahi raises her hand to stop Tiffany from blabbering. “I know. I just want to have face to face conversation with her. That’s all.”

“You think I will help her to answer the question?”

Kahi shakes her head. “I think she will asks your help to answer the question she doesn’t want to answer. I need to corner her for her honesty.”

Tiffany nods. “So… it’s tomorrow, right?”

Kahi only nods.

*

Twenty-four hours isn’t a long time for Jessica Jung. After bid farewell with her sister with a little saying about missing each other a lot, she leaves her house. Nothing special happens that morning except a limo picks her up to a new unknown place.

It’s not really that unknown place for Jessica actually because yesterday she already observed this area with Tiffany. Her partner told every secret camera that she placed when Jessica need a back up.

It’s an online camera so Tiffany still can observe Jessica even she’s not in the location. One of them placed is her sharing room with Choi Sooyoung. The other one near the kitchen and the last one is in the park, outside the house.

For emergency situation, Tiffany also shows her the secret place inside Jessica’s closet, where she puts a gun and a cell phone.

“Don’t do stupid thing in there. You’re not playing hero. If you must run, just run, okay?”

Jessica suddenly remembers again what Tiffany told her when they went back to the office station. It makes her giggles somehow. It’s funny that Tiffany is the one who pushed her to accept this undercover job but she also the one who told her to run if the situation goes wrong. It’s typical mama Tiffany who gets worry in the last minute, as always.

Opening of the 'reality show' will be held tonight. It’s an opportunity for Jessica to know more about her new roommate, Choi Sooyoung. When she arrives, the tall girl is already waiting for her. FYI, they named the closet just in case Sooyoung took Jessica’s closet which has a gun inside.

“Jessica, right?” Sooyoung greets her. “I know your name from your closet. I’m Choi Sooyoung, nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, Sooyoung,” Jessica replies. “You arrived early.”

Sooyoung nods. “My place is nearby. Only like… an hour drive, I guess. I haven’t finished one chapter of my book when I’m arrived here.”

Jessica nods. “Are they naming the bed too? Or do you have preference?”

There is only two bed in the room, one near the window, where the other close to the door. If Jessica can choose, she prefers near the window. Because she can observe the outside, while paying attention from what may comes from the door.

“If you don’t mind, I want to take the bed near the door,” Like reading Jessica’s mind, Sooyoung takes a good choice. “I was a little scared with a view of the outdoors when I was in a foreign place.”

“Great! I like the window,” Jessica half ignores the rest of Sooyoung’s statement. Maybe she just feels a little excited with the result.

“So… we have no schedule until tonight?” Sooyoung asks again.

“I think so too. The driver told me we can go downstairs to eat our lunch,” Jessica starts unpacking her things. “If you’re hungry, just go there and someone will be there to serve your meal.”

There’s no answer from Sooyoung makes Jessica frowns. She glances at the tall girl who looks… uneasy. Something is wrong here.

“What’s a matter?” Jessica shoots the straight bullet.

“Err… can you… join me?” Sooyoung pleads. “I… never eat alone. It’s kind of habit in our family. When I need to go travel somewhere, my sister will go with me so I won’t eat alone. So…”

Jessica smiles to see the opportunity to dig more about Sooyoung. “Let me finish this first. You can read your book to waste your time, perhaps?”

“Un!!”

Jessica only shakes her head when see the excitement in Sooyoung’s eyes. Somehow… it makes her doubt for the potential suspect side of this younger woman. But Detective Jung knows better not to put her guard down.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter