Chapter Three

Chameleon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Am I too fast?

“Please be ready for briefing at 4 pm sharp at the library. Don’t be late.”

Jessica gets the announcement while taking the lunch with Sooyoung. She almost snorts if only Sooyoung wasn’t sit next to her at the dining table. Since earlier she tries her best not to think what kind of show she will be joining. Sometimes it makes her feel sick and somehow it makes her lose appetite.

“Something’s wrong?” Sooyoung asks in concern tone.

Sooyoung lightly touches Jessica’s arm but it a bit startles the brunette because Jessica isn’t cuddling type – except with sister.

“Oh, sorry… Did I scare you?” Apologetic is evident on Sooyoung’s voice.

‘She’s too nice to be a killer,’ Jessica thoughts. ‘But it is also a nice cover, right?’

“What did you say?” Instead of answering, Jessica chooses the wisest move when you don’t really know the topic – which is asking back.

“I asked if something is wrong. You look… bothered - or maybe distracted,” Sooyoung says. “I can’t read mind but I learn how to read face. And in my opinion, you look… uncomfortable.”

“Oh…” Jessica is a bit late to react. She needs to choose her words before answering. “I… miss my sister,” that’s the only one thing Jessica can say genuinely at this moment. She doesn't lie at all.

Sooyoung sighs deeply. “I feel the same. Hope our assistant can really help her. I’m afraid she will fall sick if she forgets to rest.”

“You have assistant?” Jessica asks in alert.

Sooyoung nods lightly. “My parents company has a lot of branches. I need a person who can make my schedule neat but not excessive. Sometimes I also need a break, right?”

Jessica nods nonchalantly. She is too busy learning about Sooyoung’s figure.

From the profile that she read about Sooyoung, Jessica knows this tall woman really close with her family. She travels a lot to some places – maybe the branches like she said. But what Jessica wants to know more is… what Sooyoung did when she takes a break? Did she take her assistant with her? Or will she goes alone?

“How about you? What you do for living?”

Jessica doesn’t like the fact that she also being interrogate – alright Sooyoung tries to be friendly. But she has a lot more questions than Sooyoung does. Jessica wants to solve the case before the show starts if that even possible. Since she sits in the dining table, she hasn’t seen the rest of the girls. Jung Ah isn’t joking when she said there will 13 more girls in this house, right?

“I’m an office…lady,” Jessica swallows thickly. The word ‘officer’ almost slips from her tongue. Thank God she has a good control of her body.

“Oh…”

Sooyoung looks amused with the answer. Jessica thoughts maybe Sooyoung just realizes she isn’t the target… or maybe something else.

“Why?” Jessica asks – tries best to look offended. “I know it isn’t a cool job.”

“No, no, no. I never mean to offend you or something but you just…” Sooyoung pauses for a moment. “You look really smart… your boss must be lucky to have you.”

“Really?” Jessica frowns. “I hope she notices that too and thinking to raise my salary because since three months ago I was thinking about quitting the job. Maybe marrying rich guy can be solution.”

*

Few kilometers from the mansion, Krystal is trying so hard not to laugh to hear her sister’s answer. Since earlier she really pays a real attention to their conversation. Although Krystal a bit sure that Sooyoung actually harmless but she likes to see Jessica’s reaction if she finds out that she was falling to Krystal’s trap – picking the wrong roommate. Krystal really can’t wait face to face with her sister.

“What’s so funny?” Tiffany asks placing a tray that seems to be Krystal’s lunch menu today.

Krystal shrugs. “All this time I never thought the word ‘marry’ will fall from my sister’s lips. The girl in that house isn’t my sister. She’s her doppelganger.”

Tiffany laughs. “That’s how detective does while doing undercover, sweetie. They act.”

“I know, but I never expected she will use it as her cover,” Krystal admits. “You sure you didn’t brainwash her before sending her to that house? To know that she will go for undercover also make me think she isn’t in her right mind.”

“Hahaha, nice try. But too bad, she’s still your sister,” Tiffany jokes. “But just between us, do you think she wants to puke right now?”

“Positive. It’s like right now. N.O.W.,” Krystal states.

Tiffany only laughs again as the respond. She just happy Krystal talks more than a word to her when it’s just the two of us. Now Tiffany can be sure Jessica is really trust her – not just because she’s her partner – to take care of her little sister. Besides, Krystal is not that hard to cooperate with.

*

Jessica closes her eyes to calm the shiver on her spine. The word ‘marry’ just slips from her tongue. She can be sure somebody is laughing in another place. If it’s not Krystal, it must be Tiffany. But the worst possibility is both of them. Jessica a bit sure she gets the last option.

“Is it true? Marrying guy is the last solution?”

Jessica frowns to hear the next question from Sooyoung. It feels like the younger girl is more asking to herself than Jessica. Should Jessica answer that question?

“Why? You join this show to find a prince charming, right?” Jessica asks. “If the love last, what is the last option? Marrying him, right?”

Again, Jessica feels the shiver down to her spine. Something must be possessed her. This isn’t herself, but maybe this also a good cover. She can be a girl who claims for money of the show.

Sooyoung shrugs. “I don’t know… I haven’t in any relationship in my entire life. I prefer to spend my free time with my family.”

“Then why you join this show?”

‘To kill someone?’ Jessica continues inside her mind.

“My sister fills the form. She didn’t tell me until a week ago,” Sooyoung tells. “Let me say… she is worry about my social life. Everyone that I know mostly related with job – not a real friend, she said.”

“But you don’t seem like a loner,” Jessica points out.

“Maybe I just late grow,” Sooyoung jokes. Jessica doesn’t laugh. “But I believe in true love or maybe… love at the first sight. I want to feel it. That’s why I agree to join this show.”

Jessica suddenly remembers her discussion with Tiffany. There was possibility female Chameleon was jealous to see the intimacy between Chameleon male and the victim – she killed them. But with Sooyoung’s statement, she suddenly realizes there is another theory…

“Thinking about your sister again?”

Jessica blinks her eyes. Sooyoung is observing her – she notices. But she can’t be sure what intention Sooyoung has. Is it pure concern or… she wants to know what she tries to hide. But Jessica’s profile isn’t suit with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter