Chapter Four

Chameleon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Boss, how we make contact with my partner if Sooyoung keeps following her everywhere?” Tiffany asks after leaving the morgue. “Jessica finds new puppy in there.”

“Let me see…” Kahi taps her chin. “Jung Ah is speaking about a little briefing earlier. Maybe I can do something in there. I’ll call her first.”

Tiffany nods and waiting when she sees her boss reaching for the phone.

“Jung Ah, when will the briefing starts? I need to make a contact with my detective,” Kahi says.

“At 4 pm, Unnie. Why? You will come?” Jung Ah asks.

Kahi glances at the clock. It still 3 pm but it take an hour to reach the location. “Yeah, I do. But I think I’ll be a little bit late. Is that okay?”

“I’ll do my best to control the situation. No worries, Unnie,” Jung Ah says before cut the line.

“Let’s go now. We only have an hour to be there,” Kahi commands. “By the way, where is Krystal? I thought you need to watch her.”

Tiffany shakes her head – catching up her boss to their car. “She’s a grown up women, Boss. She’ll be fine. Besides, she has a photo shoot session this afternoon. She’ll join us later at night.”

“You sure you don’t need to be there?” Kahi asks.

“When Jessica is here, she never really monitoring her all day. Krystal knows how to take care of herself,” Tiffany answers calmly. “Besides, she has a assistant who will do anything for her. I also heard her assistant knows how to kick people. She has a license in taekwondo.”

Kahi only nods when she starts the engine. It’s time to go.

*

The person Tiffany mentions as Krystal’s assistant, her name is Choi Sulli. Although this person is actually trustable to keep Krystal safe, Jessica doesn’t like her. The only reason is because Sulli has a big crush on Krystal. Tiffany knows that also the reason why Jessica chose her to stay with Krystal when she is away. Jessica doesn’t want Sulli to come along.

“Tiffany Unnie said she’ll be away until noon. She wants me to stick with you until then,” Krystal says after read the message Tiffany sent her.

“She’ll pick you up later?” Sulli wonders. “She’s your sister’s partner, right?”

Krystal nods. “My sister is away for a mission. She’ll be the one who taking care of me until then.”

Sulli nods. “What you want to do until noon?”

“Do I have schedule after this?” Krystal asks. “If not, I want to go home and take a bath. I need to attend something later at night.”

Sulli checks Krystal’s agenda and shakes her head. “I think you’re free now. But what you will attend later? Is it something related with detective Hwang picks you later?”

Krystal nods. “Yup, but I can’t tell you. Sorry.”

“It’s okay. I don’t want to know either if it has connection with the detectives,” Sulli replies. “Let’s just get out from here. I’ll drop you at your house.”

“You just drop me? You don’t want to come in?” Krystal asks.

“Er… you know… if your sister plays the detective card and find my presence in there…”

“She will kill you,” Krystal cuts her.

Sulli is speechless. She’s only thoughts Jessica will mad or scold her or something similar with it – not kill.

“I’m kidding,” Krystal chuckles, Sulli’s arm gently. “I told you she’s away. When she’s coming back, she’ll understand why you there. I’ll explain. Promise.”

Sulli glances at Krystal’s hand that squeezes her arm gently. “She still hates me, does she?”

“I think she just needs time. She used to take care of me by herself. It’s hard for her to share,” Krystal assures while linking her arm with Sulli’s. “Just try to get her trust.”

 Sulli sighs. “May I ask one question?”

“Sure, what’s it?” Krystal asks.

“What makes her overly protective over you? Something happened in the past?” Sulli asks carefully. “But… you don’t need to share if it brings bad memory…”

Krystal gives her a tiny smile. “Let’s just leave this first place. I’ll tell you in my place.”

Sulli only nods and escorts Krystal to her car.

*

“Boss, this is stupid question, but how I make contact with Jessica if all suspects are in one room with her?” Tiffany asks while she arrives in the location. “We won’t just barge in and blow her cover, right?”

Kahi giggles. “Of course not, silly. She’ll be the one who contact us. Remember the phone we left in her bathroom?”

Tiffany nods – feel a bit embarrassed. Sometimes she forget things when she eager about something else.

“Just wait here until she calls you, okay?” Kahi orders.

Tiffany gives thumb up when Kahi walks to Jung Ah’s direction. She chooses to go to the trailer, listening from there.

*

“Are you nervous?” Jessica stares at Sooyoung who keeps walking back and forth near the mirror. Sooyoung keeps checking her appearance in there – Jessica notices.

“Are you?” Sooyoung asks back.

“It’s just a briefing. They’ll tell us what we’ll do later at night,” Jessica replies. “Just calm down.”

“But… you know…” Sooyoung takes a sit near Jessica in Jessica’s bed. “The show becomes more real with that. I don’t think I’m ready for it.”

Jessica frowns. “You will. Don’t worry.”

“What if I fall in the stairs? What if I stutter while speaking? What if…”

Jessica puts her index finger on Sooyoung’s lips to stop her. “Breathe. Or you will suffocation. Your face turns blue,” she giggles.

“Oh I wish I can be you…” Sooyoung sighs. “You’re gorgeous – every inch of you.”

“Are you flirting with me?” Jessica smirks. “Save it for the prince charming later.”

“I’m not even sure if I want to meet him,” Sooyoung mumbles.

“What?” Jessica actually can hear what Sooyoung said but she just wants to make sure her ear doesn’t fool her.

“Never mind,” Sooyoung gives a thin smile. “I think I need to use the bathroom. Excuse me.”

Jessica frowns going deeper when Sooyoung disappears behind the bathroom door. Her roommate is really… strange. Yep, that must be the right word to describe her.

When Jessica knows Sooyoung won’t return any time soon, she starts to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter