Chapter Six

Chameleon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten minutes before the show begins, Jessica already in the living room on the first floor – along with the other contestants – before the producer comes to introduce them with Prince Charming and starts the show. Jessica can see they’re really excited about this show. Neither they really wants to find a true love, being recognized by the producer about their talents on acting or simply targeting the money that Jessica believes actually the Prince don’t have. She knows the film production is the one who rent this mansion, but that’s not the main concern of Jessica now.

These ten minutes is what she needed to observe all the contestants without being notice while Jessica also memorized them by face.

Her focus first landed to three actresses Jung Ah rent for this show. Lee Sunny is part of them like her prediction – along with Yoon Bora - a 25 years old model - and Im Jinah who famous as Nana - a 24 years old weather forecast).

Jessica quite sure Jung Ah offers Sunny about singing soundtrack or something like that for this show. As Nana and Bora, maybe they just bored with their jobs and want to try new field. Who knows?

After little analysis for them, Jessica turns her attention to their roommates.

For Lee Sunny, she shares the room with Seo Joo Hyun aka Seohyun – a 24 years old yoga trainer.

‘Does everyone need a nickname?’ Jessica wonders.

In Jessica’s opinion, Seohyun’s job kind of didn’t match with her features. Because when Jessica hears the way Seohyun talks – she’s standing a bit closer to Jessica, she looks a serious type girl. Politician or law related job is more suits her. Could it be the job for pay the high amount money for law school? Jessica only can wonders about that.

The next person on Jessica’s focus is Kim Yoojin (aka Uee), a 27 years old wardrobe stylist, Nana’s roommate. Jessica admits the job is fit her well to see how she dress tonight. It’s not only show her assets but also makes her looks… glowing? It can’t be she puts a firefly inside her dress, right? Jessica is chuckling with her own lame joke.

“Something interesting that you want to share?” Sooyoung asks.

Jessica looks at her own roommate who sitting next to her in the long couch. She realizes since they’re here – in the first floor – the tall girl never leaves her side. And from the way Sooyoung keeps get rid of dust on her skirt that doesn’t exist; Jessica knows her roommate feels self-conscious about her look. Surrounding by lot beautiful girls, Jessica can’t blame her. Earlier the detective is also checking herself in the mirror. Just in case something is missing, she assures herself.

“Relax, you look fine. Trust me.”

Jessica doesn’t know why she tries to assure Sooyoung. Maybe because Sooyoung’s behavior is distracting Jessica from her actual job – which is observing other contestant – but maybe there’s something else. For the last option, Jessica feels no rush to find out.

“But look at that tanned girl over there,” somehow Sooyoung returns Jessica focus on Bora’s roommate. Her name is Kim Hyorin, a 24 years old graphic artist. “She looks… y and… appealing.”

Jessica nods in agreement. All this time Jessica thinks a graphic artist only sit on their desk doing graphic thingy, but this Hyorin has muscles. She looks strong like can lift a body. Hmmmm….

“Maybe she’s former athlete. That’s why she keeps her body on shape,” Jessica comments nonchalantly.

But at the same time, Jessica knows the real former athlete is Han Eunjung, 27 years old. As far as she knows from the background check, she’s now working as sport commentator. With the short hair cut, it’s really suits her. And she looks strong too.

On the left side of the former athlete, there is Park Hyomin, a 26 years old photographer. Jessica suddenly misses her sister. And it makes her changes her focus to the girl who sits across from her spot.

Her name is Han Seonhwa, a 25 years old novelist. Jessica hasn’t known the genre, but she’ll find out sooner or later. If needed, she’ll ask Tiffany to do it. But what takes Jessica’s attention is the notebook on Seonhwa’s hand. Maybe it’ll help her reveals her secret.

Jessica moves her attention to Seonhwa’s roommate after made a mental note. Her name is Goo Hara, a 24 years old beautician. She’s beauty, Jessica admits. But there’s nothing interesting from her for now. But this Hara looks busy talking with the girl next to her, Park Gyuri – a 27 years old script writer. For Jessica, the two doesn’t seem appealing for her… yet.

 Last but not least is Han Seungyeon, a 27 years old hair stylist. Jessica takes a notice that some of the girls share a surname. She doesn’t know if that a coincidence or some of them really has relation from one to another. Along with the show, Jessica hopes she’ll get the answer. Although the detective secretly wishes, this won’t take long than she expected.

When Jessica done with her analysis, Jungah’s assistant –she forgets her name – enters the living room and tell the girls the show will be start soon. Unconsciously Jessica releases a heavy sighs. She just notices it when Sooyoung grab her hand and makes a comforting gesture – a little circle with thumb in her back hand.

“I forget to tell you but… you look beautiful tonight,” Sooyoung whispers.

Jessica won’t admit that she’s blushing now. The rooms are too full of people may cause heat on her face. Yeah, it’s a bit hot here – along with the tension between the girls. But she doesn’t rejecting Sooyoung’s hand when the tall girl pulls her to join others.

 “How you would react if you meet your soul mate? Or he just a good catch?”

Jessica holds the urge to puke or simply rolling her eyes when Jung Ah deliberately dramatizes every word spoken. But Jessica knows she needs to compose herself because it’s the sign the show begins. And the only way to return her focus is making eyes contact with her boss who standing elegantly next to Jung Ah.

Jessica knows Kahi (and maybe also Tiffany) will join the show to communicate with her directly. But it still surprised her Kahi will join this close. Jessica thoughts Kahi will take like expert thingy as a cover, not an MC.

“Watch out, girls! Maybe you’ll find him in THE PERFECT MATCH!”

Jessica is already expecting for another dramatic sound effect when Jung Ah finished her line. It’s not like she’s the expert of reality show – she won’t admit she enjoys to watch it – but to hear the name of the show, it’s obvious. If only it wasn’t because her job… really… Jessica would walk out the door and never come back.

“I’m Im Jung Ah and this is my partner…”

“Park Kahi. We’ll be your hosts for the show,” Kahi finishes the line.

“Sixteen beautiful women will live in the Dream House with one goal...,” Jung Ah says.

“Who will stay? And who will leave?” Kahi adds. “Which one are you?”

“But… before we introduce you to the price, we also have some rules two follow,” Jung Ah continues. “First, you can’t leave this house until the show ended or you’ve been eliminated.”

“Second, kissing is allowed… but more than that should be off camera.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter