Chapter One

Chameleon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Cheer up, Jessie.  I think it won’t be that bad,” Tiffany says when Kahi and Jung Ah leaves the meeting room.

Jessica pouts. “Will you say the same if you’re in my position?”

Tiffany shrugs her shoulder. “I think it won’t be that bad because you can see a lot of cute girls, right?”

“Yeah, right?” Jessica snorts.

“But I know you have interest on this case, right? It has a lot of mystery. But I have one question for you, which one you’ll pick as your roommate?” Tiffany glances at Sooyoung and Yoona’s picture in Jessica’s hands. “You’ll choose to share a room with potential killer or potential victim?”

Jessica glances at Tiffany.  “In my opinion, the director is more suspicious. How she knows Boss Kahi?”

“That’s the biggest mystery for you?” Tiffany’s brows meet in the middle. “They can be high school friends or maybe her dongsaeng. She called boss, ‘Unnie’, right?”

“Like she said, the reality show is not always that real. This one isn’t the exception, right?” Jessica continues. “The director has the power to pick who will be there and who won’t. She can be Chameleon too.”

“Great observation, detective!” Kahi is clapping her hands, interrupts their conversation. “I know I’m not wrong choosing you for this show. Jung Ah’s answer is only to find out your reaction for this case. Sorry.”

Jessica and Tiffany exchange glances. They don’t comment anything for that.

“Kim Jung Ah is a real director. She’s my junior at high school,” Kahi continues. “This isn’t a real TV show. We created it to catch Chameleon. All contestants and that new cameraman are our suspects. Only one of them, Sooyoung or Yoona, is our potential victim.”

“Why it should be 2 potential victims? Why not choose one of them?” Jessica asks.

“Because we don’t know Chameleon’s taste,” Kahi explains. “We just know both of them are rich from their residence. I already tracked their financial if that what you’re thinking. All I can say, they both spend some money for charity. That’s what rich people do, but maybe it’s just a cover.”

“How about the actress wannabe? Any potential suspects?” Tiffany asks.

“Mostly average life,” Kahi answers. “Nothing pops up for now. But we’ll dig more.”

“Basically it’s a trap then?” Jessica continues.

Jung Ah shakes her head. “Yes and no. I may publish this show if nothing happened. So it can be like another TV show.”

“And the only person knows about this plan is us,” Kahi says. “Don’t let this information out of this room.”

“Yes, Boss!!” Tiffany and Jessica answers simultaneously.

*

Lieutenant Park Kahi, aka The Boss, is the leader of Seoul homicide division. She still young but her experience for solving murder cases has take her to her position now. Tiffany Hwang and Jessica Jung is part of few people that she can trusts on her division. Almost all people in their division knows, those detective team is her favorite and she never tries to covering it. No one dare to mess up because Kahi always standing right behind them.

Kahi always has a reason every time she gives assignment to her detectives, especially for Tiffany and Jessica. She will tell them but not completely. For this new case, she only points out about unknown serial killer with nickname Chameleon. But if she should be honest, this is more than that. One of the three victims is part of the reason, but we won’t discuss it on this chapter.

“Boss?”

Kahi looks up after hear a soft knock on her door. She can tell there are a lot of questions behind the smiling face that came behind the door. Without a word, she lets Tiffany takes a seat in front of her.

“Is it about your partner?” Kahi asks.

“It will be a lie if I said I’m not worry,” Tiffany admits. “But… there’s more than this, right? It’s… Jessica.”

Kahi smiles, she knows what she meant.

“Although Jessica has cold feature, she’s really warm inside. Is that what your point?” Kahi asks, Tiffany nods. “And that’s my reason why I picked her instead you, Detective Hwang.”

“I don’t want to take her position if that your point, Boss,” Tiffany puts her hands up. “I’m just… wondering.”

“I’m not accusing you for anything, Miss Hwang,” Kahi still keeps her smile. “I choose her because of her personality. I want to know which side she will share to us in this show, the cold or the warm one.”

Tiffany nods.

“I ever lead the operation when you did undercover and I know how great your acting is. You can be chameleon. And that’s a compliment,” Kahi continues. “But I also want to know how your partner will do it. She’s a great detective, I believe it.”

“But?” Tiffany demands for continuation.

“But as I remember, her world is only here and her sister. Am I correct?” Kahi asks.

“You know there’s a reason for that,” Tiffany pouts.

“And maybe, with join this show, she can see the whole world completely,” Kahi continues. “Black and white. Bitter and sweet. Up and down. Everything is there. It’s just how we deal with it. Right?”

“I see…” Tiffany nods. “What if s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter