TRIPPING DOWN MEMORY LANE

Suga, you ain't that sweet!

The morning sunrise embarks, shining in the warm orange rays in through my bedroom window, hitting my bloodshot eyes. I’ve been up all night, excited and too happy to sleep, replaying the vivid scene from last night over and over again in my head like a drama. An uncontrollable smile creeps onto my face, making me squeal like a dolphin.

*GHRUTU* My dad, with his one leg sneaking out from underneath the blanket, is snoring on the floor beside my bed. Afraid Yoon Gi would sneak into my room in the middle of the night, dad hasn’t left my room since. ‘I must be crazy,’ I think as I stare at the molding patterns on the ceiling. Staring at them long enough, the dots connect to create Yoon Gi’s delicate boyish yet hint of a man’s face. ‘But why? Why would Yoon Gi kiss me?’ I rub my cheek, still feeling his soft and tender touch. *GHRUTU!* Another snore. I meticulously place a foot on the wooden floor, cautious not to wake my dad up.

“Who’s there?!” Dad shoots his weapon of defense at me: fully equipped water gun.

“DAD!” I screech as water squirts onto my crouch. “DAD!”

“Tae Hee?” He mumbles in his husky voice as he rubs his eyes and puts on his glasses. Seeing me stand there with watered pants, he comments too casually, “Tae Hee, I thought we were over the phase where you needed my assistance in the bathroom.”

“You’re the one who did this!” I stomp, scratching my head furiously. “ARG! REALLY! I CAN’T DO ANYTHING WITH YOU HERE! GET OUT!!!” I say, pushing the baby panda sized man out of my room. “AND LEAVE ME ALONE!!!” I slam the door shut in my dad’s face.

 

I’m standing in front of Yoon Gi’s front screen door. Like most days, his house is an open invitation. I lean in closer with one ear, wondering if anyone’s home, but can only hear crickets chirping in the vegetable garden in their lawn. I hesitate intruding for a second, wondering what I’ll say to Yoon Gi when I see him. ‘I’ve practiced.’ I pat my heart to calm it down. ‘I’m going to slap him across his ugly face and tell him I’m not easy. I’ve practiced it! Get a hold of yourself, Tae Hee! Fighting!’ I slap myself lightly on my cheeks. I turn around to knock on the door but just then, Yoon Gi comes out. Both of us startled, look at each other blankly—not sure how to react after last night’s incident. Suga quickly avoids my glance, attempts to lock me out and pulls his door shut but my foot acts as a wedge. Suga’s yanking on the door for dear life. “OW! Yoon Gi, open the door!” I yell, trying to pry the door open. Suga won’t give in. Suddenly, I feel arms around my waist, helping me pull the door open—though it’s not very effective. I turn my head around and see V so close to me, holding tighter onto my chubby waist. He smells sweet, like baby milk. There’s an aura of childlike innocence in him; it’s both alluring and terrifying all at once.  I release my foot, making the door shut close, immediately.

V lets go and playfully pouts. “Darn. How am I supposed to get into the house, now?” His big smile melts me in the summer heat.

Failing terribly at trying to hide my smile, I bow to V—though he’s a year younger than me. “Good afternoon!” I command.

“Good afternoon,” he says, bowing slightly like how a prince would to a pauper. It feels as if he’s teasing me. We both stand straight now, looking at each other and smiling like two beaming idiots. It’s awkward but I don’t mind it. “What brings you here today?”

I hold out the bags in my hand that mom sent with my dad from overseas as present to Yoon Gi’s mom. “I just came to drop these off.”

“For me?” He asks, excitedly, and jumping once.

“Well, not exact—“ Yoon Gi swings the door open, hitting V on the back of his head. Hard.  

“Oh. Oops.” Unapologetically spoken. Yoon Gi’s smirking a bit behind his black cap.

“Yoon Gi!!” Yoon Gi walks off. I bow to V, again—don’t know why, exactly-- before I jog off to catch Yoon Gi.  

Each step I take, Yoon Gi’s stride gets longer and faster. Our steps progress from walking to jogging to running to sprinting through our past memory lane: the neighborhood market, neighborhood restaurant, game room, stationary store, fruit stand 1, fruit stand 2—and ending at a playground near our elementary school where we first became friends. Suga trips on a plastic shovel, falling onto the sand in the sand box. I grab tightly onto his red flannel shirt, making sure he doesn’t escape while I’m catching my breath. Both of us are panting like dehydrated bloodhounds on the verge of death. “Why. Are. You. Running Away. From Me?” I ask, in between my breathless pants. Suga tugs and shakes on his shirt, hoping i'll let go by force. “WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY FROM ME?!” I scream at him. Suga’s eyes widen and looks around, hoping we’re not attracting any attention. He muffles my mouth and drags me off to the purple playground tunnel where we’re hidden from the rest of the world. “What are you doing?!” Suga’s close to me, still, attempting to muffle me.

“Shh..” Escapes from his pink lips. He’s so close I could smell his warm yet refreshing aftershave that’s slightly covered with his sour scent from running earlier.

‘When did Yoon Gi grow up to use aftershave?’ I wonder as I stare at little stubble above his lips. Yoon Gi catches me looking but doesn’t turn away. Instead, he, too, takes the time to examine me. His glances move from my hair to my eyes to his hands that are placed on top of my lips. I hear him gulp. His lips are pursed a bit as he lets go of his hand, setting me free. He clears his throat, looking away, almost as if he’s embarrassed. I sigh through my nose and hold out the bag of presents. Yoon Gi stares at it. “From mom and dad overseas. It’s for your mom and dad.” I put it by his side before crawling on my knees to leave. Yoon Gi grabs my ankle and I look back at him. I flinch and crawl out faster. At the end of the tunnel, before going outside, I whisper but the tunnel echoes—making it sound louder and clearer. “Yoon Gi, I’m not easy and I will never be. Don’t ever treat me like I am.” I get out. As soon as I come out from the purple tunnel, I see V sitting on the swings, gently swaying back and forth. It’s as if he was waiting for me there all this time. He sees me and smiles as blobs of unexplainable tears roll down my face, destroying all my effort filled makeup from this morning.