Chapter 3

Realization
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As much as Seulgi hates to admit it, she wish Irene was here right now. The girl had to go to office hours to ask her professor for help so it’s just Seulgi and Wendy having lunch together right now. The whole time, the two were just having a staring contest with their food, only looking up occasionally to smile awkwardly at each other, both feeling the importance of Irene’s presence now.

“So,” Wendy starts, “how long have you known Irene for?”

“Uhm, for about 5 years. She and I were neighbors when she moved to Seoul.”

“She’s not from Seoul??” Wendy asked in surprised.

Seulgi was caught off guard by Wendy’s response. So Irene didn’t tell Wendy about that. She felt a sudden sense of relief wash over her, knowing that there are things Wendy doesn’t know about Irene. She felt a bit mean to feel that way, but was still happy nonetheless.

“Yeah, she’s a Daegu native. You should hear her satoori, it’s gold,” Seulgi revealed.

“Hmm my curiosity is peaked now,” Wendy said, and the two of them shared a giggle. “You know, I find it kind of weird that we’re the same year and have the same major, yet we only have one class together,” she continued.

“Yeah, I don’t think I ever got a chance to talk to you much. That cabbage always talks the most, so I just end up listening.”

Wendy raised her eyebrows again at the comment, and Seulgi is starting to think that those eyebrows of hers have a life of their own.

“Cabbage?” Wendy asked. And once again, that prideful feeling of being the person that knows Irene best resurfaced in Seulgi.

“That’s Irene’s nickname.”

“Uhhh why?”

“What’s her Korean name?”

“Bae Joohy-,” Wendy stopped mid-sentence and formed an O at the realization. “Ohhh, hahaha so childish!”

“Well, it’s only fitting for someone who acts like a child,” Seulgi said. And right at that moment, Irene walked into the cafeteria. Both Wendy and Seulgi looks at her before Seulgi continued, “And is short like one too.”

And that did it. Both girls doubled in laughter, earning a questioning look from Irene as she approaches them.

“What’s so funny? I want to laugh too!” Irene said before sliding into the booth, next to Wendy. Seulgi frowned a bit at the action, but was more surprised when she caught what looked to be a blush stemming from Wendy’s cheeks.

“Nothing. It’s not funny anymore because you’re here,” Seulgi stated.

“Wow, I’m very happy to see you too, Seul.” Irene gave Seulgi a pout then turned to greet Wendy, “Hi Wendy!” she waved enthusiastically.

“Hi, how was office hours? Did it help you in any way?” Wendy asked.

“Professor Old Fart didn’t even answer my questions and just kept telling me to read the book. Like, does it look like I paid tuition to learn from the book? Ugh so useless!” Irene ranted.

Seulgi found it quite peculiar how Wendy laughs at everything Irene says. She just rolls her eyes at the rant, but the other girl is straight up laughing for some reason.

“Did you actually call him Professor Old Fart?” Wendy giggled.

“I wish I could, but nah, my grade is still very dependent on him. Anyways, when are you guys free to go watch Pitch Perfect 2? It won’t be in theater for long, we should go soon.”

“I’m free after 5 every day,” Wendy said.

“I’m done by 4 on Friday,” Seulgi replied.

“Okay, do you guys want to go at 7 on Friday then?”

“Yep, sounds good!”

Seulgi only gave a thumbs up without saying anything.

---

Irene likes to be punctual so she showed up at exactly 7:00 and was surprised to see that Wendy was already there.

“Hi Wendy! Well you’re here early,” Irene greeted.

“Hey, and you’re exactly on the dot,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter