Chapter 12

Realization
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Huh?” Seulgi asked in bewilderment. Did she hear right or did Irene just say that she’s going on a date with Wendy?

“Wendy’s been taking care of me so I asked to take her out to show my appreciation. Just wondering if there are any good places that you know,” Irene said.

Ok, so it’s just an appreciation dinner, not a date.

“Or any date course that you would recommend,” Irene continued. Seulgi’s heart thudded loudly against her chest. So it is a date. She could only shake her head to signal that she doesn’t have anything to recommend.

“Oh, ok. I guess I’ll just google it later.” Irene was about to walk again, but was suddenly pulled to a stop by Seulgi’s hand.

“A-Are you and Wendy together?” Seulgi carefully asked.

“Well, not yet. To be honest, she confessed to me a while back. And even when she knew that I liked you at the time, she said that it was alright and that she would try her best to win me over.”

“At the time? Do you not like me anymore?” Seulgi looked at Irene.

“I— Seul, you rejected me, remember? And you were with Jong--”

“Don’t go,” Seulgi cut her off.

“Huh? Don’t go where?”

“Don’t go on a date with Wendy.”

“Why not?”

“Because… Because I love you,” Seulgi confessed. “I realized that it’s always been that way but I was too scared to admit it. I thought being with Jongin would make me forget about my feelings for you but no, it only further reinforced the fact that I’m in love with you.”

“Seul, stop it. Will you please think about my feelings for once? You rejected me when I confessed to you, and now you suddenly say that you like me? What the hell, Seul!” Irene violently freed herself from Seulgi’s grip. “And while I was hurting, Wendy was there for me all along. She was there for me when I cried, when I screamed, and when I was sick. And after she kissed me, she didn’t leave. She stayed. Grounded. Rooted. She stayed next to me. So why should I continue to ignore someone who loves me unconditionally and keep chasing someone who put society's judgements over my feelings?”

Seulgi was at a loss for words. As much as she would like to refute Irene’s argument, she knows she has no rights to. Wendy has done so much for Irene, so it’s only right for the older girl to start shifting her gaze from Seulgi to Wendy. Seulgi know she lost. She lost the chance given to her.

“Just— just forget it. I’m sorry I lashed out on you, but I’ve decided to give it a shot with Wendy. She’s been waiting for me, it’s time I acknowledge her sincerity.”

Silence filled the air, with only the sound of the wind brushing against their frail figures.

“I’m going home now, it’s getting cold. Bye Seulgi,” Irene said quietly.

Irene was mad. She was frustrated. Why must Seulgi do this now? Those were the exact words she wanted to hear a month ago, so why did Seulgi have to wait till now to say it. But more than being mad at Seulgi, Irene was mad at herself. She’s wavering. Seulgi’s words are breaking her resolution to move on and to finally give Wendy the chance she deserves.

---

The loud slam made Sooyoung turn from her laying position on the couch and saw a disheveled Irene sliding down with her back against the door. Sooyoung rolls her eyes as she thought about how her sister’s life is so much like a drama. She loves drama, but surely does not like being a part of one.

Dropping an arm and her head off the couch, Sooyoung asked, “What did that dumb bear do this time?”

“She— she confessed to me,” Irene said, blankly staring out the window.

“That’s it! Where does she live? I’m going to go and punch some sense into her! What the hell is up with that girl?! Does she think it’s fun to toy around with your feelings?” Sooyoung exploded and stood up from the couch.

“Sooyoung, calm down. That’s not going to help with anything. And if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t accept.”

“Well it probably made you rethink your decision to give it a try with Wendy, didn’t it?” And by the way Irene is staring speechlessly at her, Sooyoung knew she was right. “Ugh, no unnie, you can’t do that! That’s not fair to Wendy!”

“I know, S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter