Prophecy

Divination

Xiumin couldn’t imagine what the emperor thought of his portrait. There had been no answer  and it had been a month since it was sent with the royal envoy. Getting an answer would be nice seeing as the day Xiumin is to leave is fast approaching. He thought the portrait was nice but who knows what the emperor thought. He looks nothing like the young men and women of the west. What worries him even more is the letter. Maybe the emperor thought his penmanship and intelligence were bad.

 

“Are you brooding over the portrait and the letter?” Junmyeon slipped into the room.

 

“Brother!” Xiumin got to his feet.

 

“Please sit.” Junmyeon shook his head. The two of them sat together.

 

“I’m just hoping he liked them or at least appreciated it. What if he asked expecting so much and I disappointed him.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“Don’t be silly.” Junmyeon cupped Xiumin’s cheek. “He’ll be blown away by your beauty.” Junmyeon smiled.

 

“I hope you’re right.” Xiumin pouted.

 

“Well, I think I may have something that will make you feel even better.” Junmyeon pulled something out for Xiumin to see.

 

“Is that a letter?” Xiumin took it.

 

“Yes, from your emperor.” Junmyeon chuckled.

 

Xiumin opened up the letter and read it to himself.

 

To My Beautiful Bride

 

I can not express how enchanted I was when I saw your portrait. You are simply exquisite and I am the luckiest man to have you as my own. After reading your letter I like to imagine how sweet your voice is. I imagine it like a little bird. Soft and elegant like a song.  With your writing skill you should be named the greatest poet in all the four kingdoms under heaven. Your words entrance me. I am struck by how far I have fallen for you through simply a painting and a letter. I believe it speaks to the beautiful future ahead of us. Together we will rule our kingdom in peace and prosperity. Our palace will flourish with such an intelligent and gorgeous empress at the helm. I wait in anticipation for the day you are finally in my arms, my little bird.

 

With Love, The Dragon Emperor of the West.

 

“Oh brother, I think I am in love.” Xiumin held the letter to his heart.

 

 

Yifan sat and read the prince's letter over and over as he gazed at the painting. He could do this for hours if time permitted.

 

"Why are you so pretty and charming and so far away little bird, just be mine already." The emperor sighed.

 

"Her Imperial Highness Princess Sooyeon has arrived." The eunuch outside the door called.

 

"Enter." Yifan answered. The doors opened and his sister entered.

 

"Greetings and Long Live the emperor." Sooyeon bowed.

 

"Rise, sister and come sit."

 

Sooyeon walked over and settled herself at the table next to the emperor. She looked at the painting and then back to her brother.

 

"I heard you moping, your majesty. I am sure that means my match was a success." Sooyeon smiled at her brother.

 

"Yes you have done very well, sister." Yifan smiled at the portrait.

 

"If mother were here she would be over the moon. A bride of imperial blood, refined manners, exquisite heritage, and good political ties. It's everything an empress ever wants for their son." Sooyeon praised.

 

"Yes, he is. I just want to meet the real boy soon. His letter was moving and witty. He is even more beautiful with a brain on his shoulders." Yifan complimented.

 

"Indeed! I am happy that the harem is no longer my burden but I will stay to assist the empress." Sooyeon informed her brother.

 

"Good and what about Soojung? I want her to come to live in the harem. I know she enjoys staying at our maternal uncle's estate but with an empress coming she must be here to assist and pay respects." Yifan put the letter down, sounding more serious.

 

"Of course, I have already sent for her. She is returning now." Sooyeon nodded.

 

"Good, my empress has expressed his nervousness over ruling a foreign harem. He will obviously have great skill but your insight will be invaluable to him." Yifan explained.

 

"Of course, no one would expect he would be well versed in western palace rules. He should not worry at all. Soojung and I will be with him." Sooyeon reassured.

 

"Good, I wish to be alone till have to attend my afternoon meetings." Yifan sighed.

 

"Very well, your majesty." Sooyeon stood and bowed. "Long live the emperor." She then left the room and Yifan sat staring at the painting again.

 

"The harem takes much work to maintain. You will be able to handle it with the help of my sisters but I wish you didn't have too. I wish you could simply sit with me all day and write me poems and play me songs, little bird. I wish you didn't have to be this nation's empress and just be mine." Yifan frowned.

 

 

"He's probably enchanted!"

 

"Probably head over heels!"

 

"But it was just a painting." Dongwoo and Seulgi looked at Heeyeon with a frown. "What?" The other girl shrugged.

 

"Just a painting?! Heeyeon that's the first impression the emperor will have of his highness!" Seulgi exclaimed.

 

"I suppose you're right." Heeyeon nodded.

 

"It's bound to be a good one now. That painting was magnificent!" Dongwoo gushed.

 

"Well, I hope I can live up to it." A warm voice interrupted them. The all turned and bowed to the prince.

 

"Greeting your highness." They chimed.

 

"Please rise." Xiumin laughed.

 

"Your highness did the crown prince visit?" Seulgi asks.

 

"Yes he did." Xiumin sat down. "And he brought me some good news." Xiumin his up the letter.

 

"May we see, your highness?" Dongwoo asked. Xiumin handed him the letter and the three attendants gather around to read.

 

“I think I might faint. This is so romantic.” Seulgi giggled.

 

“Just from a painting. how amazing.” Heeyeon smiled.

 

“Your Highness, you truly are the greatest. Just a painting and a simple letter and the emperor already holds you on a golden pedestal.” Dongwoo shouted.

 

“I am just lucky. I mean the opposite could have happened. I just hope once I get there I won’t be a disappointing site.

 

“Then your highness will just have to wear the grandest wedding attire the north has to offer.” Seulgi suggested.

 

“Yes but whatever we consider lavish isn’t even half as lavish as what they wear in the west.” Xiumin fretted.

 

“No worries, it’s obvious the simplicity and humbleness your highness has expressed through the painting has touched the emperor. He’s bound to appreciate your highness being less flashy than the women in his harem.” Dongwoo reassured.

 

“I suppose you could be right.” Xiumin nodded.

 

A young attendant came into the room and bowed on her knees. Xiumin motioned for her to rise.

 

"There is a guest asking to see you. She says it's urgent." The maid informed.

 

"Who is it?"

 

"The Grand Priestess of the Great North, your highness." The maid said quietly. Xiumin was in awe it had been so long since any member of the tribe had visited him.

 

"Let her in. Clear out all of you." Xiumin dismissed all the staff. They bowed and went out. In the next minute the cold room dropped in temperature even further. The old priestess entered the room gracefully. Xiumin stood and went to his knees.

 

"High holy blessing grand priestess, let the great mother be with you." Xiumin greeted.

 

"Please come to your feet your highness. It is I who should bow to you." The grand priestess laughed. Xiumin got to his feet and lead the woman to sit.

 

"Oh no, I know how to properly greet the grand priestess. I am no stranger to being an ice dragon. No what do I owe this honor?"

 

"I got the news a month ago that you will be wed to the western emperor." She began.

 

"Yes, my father has been in such a good mood. I have recently gotten a letter from my betrothed. I think I may have a good life." Xiumin looked at said letter happily.

 

"I am happy to hear but I fear I have some ominous news." The older woman sighed.

 

"What do you mean?" Xiumin frowned.

 

"The ancestor have sent me a divination. They prophesied the coming of a great storm. The storm will come on the winter solstice of the 5th year of the ice empress's reign. The sinners shall be named and the dynasty of ice shall prosper holy under heaven." The old priestess said ominously.

 

"What does any of that mean? What does it have to do with me?" Xiumin leaned in.

 

"The ice empress is you, your highness. The last part is unclear but the storm is metaphorical. I fear it will be some much more fearful than winds sent from heaven. It will be war and it will find it's way within and shall the over turn palace. I beg you to be careful and keep close to those you trust." The priestess took Xiumin's hands.

 

"Do the heavens mean to curse me?" Xiumin almost cried.

 

"No, I feel that in the end you will stand strong but adversity will come before it." The priestess assured. Xiumin stayed silent.

 

"I will head heaven's words. The great mother sent this to you to warn me. Her kindness knows no bounds." Xiumin said bleakly, unconvinced by his own words.

 

"Rest assured that the great mother will always have you in her heart. Sylia loves you, your highness. You are favorite her child."

 

"If I am her favorite then why can I not live in the Great North where I would belong?" Xiumin begged.

 

"She meant for you to be great. You will be an empress soon and you will then be her imperial child, just like your mother. You have followed her chosen path. She will see you through." The priestess smiled.

 

"I trust you and the great mother. Thank you for your insight." Xiumin bowed.

 

"No, thank you your highness, for bringing honor to your mother's people." The priestess kissed Xiumin's head then rose to her feet. Xiumin escorted her to the door and then priestess departed. Xiumin stood in silence as the grand priestess walked a away. His nerves were on edge and he couldn't hold it in.

 

"Your highness?" Seulgi walked up to the prince. Quietly snow began to fall around them. Seulgi gasped and called over the other attendants. They lead Xiumin to sit down in bed and the snow only got worse.

 

"Please be calm, your highness. Don't start a storm!" Heeyeon pleaded. Xiumin looked to the girl and frowned.

 

"It's too late. The storm will come and we can't stop it." Xiumin whispered.

 

 

 

Author's Note
here it is, chapter 2! Things are picking up and our main couple will meet each other soon. In the next chapter I promise they will get to meet in person. Can you guys feel the foreboding of the prophecy cause I can. Please keep reading, comment and subscribe.