Valediction

Divination

“You will be leaving by boat from the Summer Palace on the banks of lake Cumulus. From there we will travel by boat along the Celestial river into the Eastern kingdom.” Myungsoo read the travel plans aloud to Xiumin who sat staring off into space.

 

“Your majesty?” Luna leaned and whispered.

 

“Ah yes?” Xiumin sat up.

 

“Is everything ok, your majesty?” Luna frowned.

 

“I am fine. I just have a lot on my mind.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“We can stop for today if you’re tired, your majesty.” Myungsoo frowned and closed up the scroll.

 

“That would be wonderful, Myungsoo.” Xiumin nodded. “I want to go out to the garden.” Xiumin stood up from his throne.

 

“The Empress is going to the garden.” Dongwoo announced to the servants.

 

Xiumin descended to the steps and walked to the end of the hall to the open doors. Seulgi, Heeyeon, Dongwoo and Luna followed close behind. At the top of the steps of the Palace of the Moon he could see the gardens stretched out before him. He stopped and stared out at the sprawling gardens.

 

“How long has it been since I have seen the outside of these walls.?” Xiumin asked out loud.

 

“It should be almost half a year now, your majesty” Dongwoo answered.

 

“Half a year. How much can the world change in that time? Is everything different than I remember it?” Xiumin pondered.

 

“Things don’t change so quickly, your majesty.” Luna chuckles.

 

“Everyone else might have not changed but I have. Everyday I seem to remember less and less of who I was before coming to the harem.” Xiumin said with a bittersweet smile.

 

“You majesty.” Heeyeon frowned.

 

“Let’s go, The flowers are calling to me.” Xiumin said cheerfully shaking off the sadness from before and ignoring the worried looks of his entourage.

 

At the bottom of the steps the Able consort was passing by and stopped when he noticed the empress’s approach. He stopped and bowed.

 

“Greetings your majesty.” Baekhyun looked away hoping to not make eye contact. Xiumin was quiet for a second and smiled.

 

“Rise, Baekhyun. I was hoping I would see you soon. I wanted to talk to you before I leave.” Xiumin walked next to baekhyun and hooked their arms together. “Walk with me.”

 

Baekhyun followed along reluctantly but he knew he wasn’t in the position to say no to the monarch. After his sad attempt to hold the emperor's attention when the two had a falling out he hadn’t wanted to show his face around the harem.

 

“What is it that you wanted to speak to me about, your majesty?” Baekhyun kept his gaze down cast.

 

“You and the fourth prince of the south.”

 

“Excuse me, your majesty?” Baekhyun looked up at the empress.

 

“I think it’s not good to give up yet. The mistakes of the past are well...they’re in the past. It wouldn’t hurt to try.” Xiumin stopped and looked into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“Try? What me and the prince had has been broken into pieces. There  is nothing left to try with.” Baekhyun argued.

 

“Broken, hardly! I think your relationship is simply a little cracked. And do we throw out precious pottery just because it’s a little cracked, no. We simply say ‘It’s been through so much.’ and repair the crack so we can continue to use it and love it.” Xiumin explained.

 

“But that’s not the biggest issue. I’m married to the emperor, your majesty. I could never betray him.” Baekhyun looked shocked.

 

“Marriage...is a small issue. Marriage and love are mutually exclusive.”

 

“You and the emperor have love in your marriage, your majesty.” Baekhyun frowned.

 

“Yes but we didn’t get married because of that. We would have gotten married whether we loved each other or not.” Xiumin shrugged.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t deny that the empress was right. Marriage and love didn’t really go hand in hand. Baekhyun had been fighting for so long to create love in his marriage when maybe it was never possible. Even the empress says he was simply lucky to have it.

 

“Do you really think Chanyeol and I could love each other again.” Baekhyun said in a small voce. A smile slowly crept it’s way on Xiumin face.

 

“Of course I do. I wouldn’t have brought it up if I thought other wise. You’ve played enough games with me to know, I never gamble unless I know I will win.” Xiumin laughed.

 

“May I be excused, your majesty?” Baekhyun stepped back a bit.

 

“Go ahead, Able consort.” Xiumin nodded and watched as the Baekhyun disappeared into the gardens toward the Hall of Sunbeams.

 

“Not that I mean to question you, your majesty but are you sure it’s ok to support affairs in the harem?” Luna stepped up behind the empress.

 

“I have been thinking recently that maybe what makes this place so terrible is that no one here feels loved. Even for all the ceremony and celebration that goes into marrying into the harem, love seems to die the minute it comes here.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“What got you thinking about this, your majesty?” Myungsoo looked shocked.

 

“When I saw all those young children and spoke to those three young beauties, I realized that they still believe that they can come here and find love. They are so young and have never been loved before. I don’t want them to lose that, so maybe if I can create a place where love does exist they won’t have to end up like the consorts and the concubines, bitter and spiteful towards everyone and everything.” The empress explained.

 

“That’s very kind of you, your majesty.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“Kind but hopefully not my undoing.” Xiumin chuckled to himself.

 

 

 

 

Yifan groaned and he slammed down another proposal. He looked up when Yixing entered his study.

 

“At last someone who isn’t looking for me to approve a new policy or start a new building project.” Yifan smiled at his friend.

 

“I wouldn’t speak to soon, your majesty.” Yixing laughed.

 

“Oh no, not you too.” Yifan slumped sighed.

 

“I’m just here to ask to sign off on the security detail for the the empress’s trip.” Yixing approached the desk and handed the parchment to the head eunuch who brought it to the emperor.

 

“I can do this happily.” Yifan took the document and read it over quickly before putting his seal on it. “This reminds me, I haven’t seen my little bird all day.”

 

“No one would have guessed that you and your empress would be such a good match, your majesty. You are both so in love.” Yixing mused.

 

“I mean the minute I saw his painting I knew it had to be. I mean no one in this world as beautiful as him or as strong. I have not been the perfect husband but he still cares for me and for that I love him even more.” Yifan smiled brightly.

 

“I completely understand, your majesty.”

 

“The Palace is really full of love isn’t it.” Yifan laughed.

 

“I agree, your majesty.”

 

 

 

 

“If anything is out of place I will hold every single servant in this palace accountable.” Princess Sooyeon snapped as they continued setting up the grand hall.

 

“I am sure everything will be perfect for tonight, sister.” Soojung laughed.

 

“Make sure the Noble Consort’s spot is close to the empress and clean.” Sooyeon instructed one of the maids.

 

“Trying to make a good impression on the Noble Consort? She will be the head of the harem now, I suppose.” Soojung noted.

 

“The Noble Consort is not an easy sell, she’s very proper and strict. She will be running this harem very differently than the empress does.” Sooyeon sighed.

 

“Does that worry you?” Soojung frowned.

 

“Partly it will be nice to see the harem members have a quick reminder of their places. The empress is less concerned with how the lower levels organize themselves and more concerned with them understanding that he is above all of them. Taeyeon is the type to manage things more strictly and actually she has been.” Sooyeon explained.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, The empress gave the Noble Consort the task of handling disputes between harem members awhile back. The Noble Consort believes that the system is perfect and should be followed to a tee. Tradition should not be broken for any reason.”

 

“So why are you nervous?”

 

“Because the system isn’t perfect and needs to be broken to get things done sometimes. The empress is willing to put aside tradition if it advantageous for him and the harem, the Noble Consort won’t do that.”

 

“I see.” Soojung nodded. “I guess we should start getting on the Noble consorts good side now. It’ll be a month or two before the empress returns.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Another thing I worry about it the Crown prince’s marriage. The Noble Consort will no doubt speed up the process, seeing it as improper that he’s been unmarried up until now.”

 

“What about mine?” Soojung asked nervously.

 

“Your will be treated the same. The empress has put some thought into both your marriages but decided the issue should be settled when he gets back. Hopefully the Noble Consort upholds that. I don’t want this to be rushed. Your partners need to be selected perfectly.”

 

“I don’t want it to be rushed either.” Soojung sighed.

 

“Hey, don’t put that there.” Sooyeon yelled and left her sister’s side. Soojung slipped away to talk to her brother.

 

 

 

 

Xiumin arrived back at the palace of the moon and was shocked to find Yifan inside. He rushed over to the emperor.

 

“Your majesty, why didn’t you send someone to find me?”

 

“Because I wanted you to enjoy your home as long as possible. You’re leaving first thing in the morning. This will be your last chance to enjoy the garden in the light of day.” Yifan took Xiumin’s hands and lead him to the sunroom.

 

“Thank you for you thoughtfulness, your majesty.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“Anything for you.”

 

The two sat down together and Xiumin’s eyes drifted to the birds flying about in their cage. He thought briefly about the love he had said he was so lucky to have. He thinks it’s stronger now than it was in the beginning, he's even luckier for that.

 

“I think our love is more honest now.” Xiumin said suddenly.

 

“What do you mean?” Yifan looked confused.

 

“I was just thinking that before our love was more an infatuation but now we understand each other better.”

 

“How so?” Yifan sat back and looked interested.

 

“I know now that although it may seem you don’t trust me, that is not actually the case. You simply worry too much because you care so deply for me.” Xiumin explained.

 

“Well, I know that you are not a daredevil and that you were simply taking advantage of your sudden freedom. Being cooped up in the north can really make a person itch for excitement.” Yifan smiled

 

“You’re right. I know now that gambling, drinking, and shooting flaming arrows must all be done in moderation.” Xiumin laughed.

 

“Exactly. You’re right love is more honest after two people have had to repair it at least once.” Yifan nods to himself.

 

“We sound like an old married couple when in fact we haven’t been together for too long. Don’t become too infatuated with your new harem members while I’m gone. I’m still a fresh spring flower at the prime of my life.” Xiumin warned mischievously.

 

“I think I love you for more than that now.”

 

“Really has my novelty worn off already?” Xiumin said in mock surprise.

 

“Heavens no, you will always be a beautiful novelty but you are also a very capable empress and now a wise spiritual guide. My empress making sacrament, how prestigious.” Yifan looked proad.

 

“Thank you, your majesty.” Xiumin bowed his head and smiled.

 

“I should leave you to get ready. The night is falling and I’m not dressed for the banquet. If I came looking shabby my sister would surely have my head.” Yifan whispered. and Xiumin laughed.

 

“Go ahead, your majesty.” Xiumin rose and lead the emperor out.

 

 

 

 

“You look beautiful, Sungjong!” Seungwan smiled and she stood behind her friend in the mirror.

 

“We have to look our best for the going away banquet tonight.” Sungjong shrugged.

 

“Especially so we don’t shame the empress. We are his favorites after all.” Junghwa said proudly.

 

“Don’t go shouting stuff like that, Junghwa.” Seungwan hissed.

 

“What it’s true. We even got to lunch with him and the emperor. What other beauties can say they’ve done that.” Junghwa pouted.

 

"Let’s just try not to make waves tonight.” Sungjong implored.

 

“Fine.” Junghwa sat down on her bed.

 

“It’s time to leave, your graces.” A maid stepped inside and the three smiled at each other to follow her out to joining the rest of the young beauties.

 

The gardens were full of lanterns leading up to the great hall and all the beauties were giggling and rushing to the venue. The banquet was supposed to be grand and special because the emperor wanted to give the empress good memories to hold on his travels east. The three were near the back of the group and reached the line that was leading inside to greet the emperor and empress.

 

“This line is endless. The banquet will be over by the time we get up there.” Junghwa pouted.

 

“Just be patient.” Seungwan laughed.

 

The line started to go the stairs quickly and the three got closer to the entrance of the hall.

 

“See, once the higher up members are done, the lower levels greet in groups. It will go quickly.” Sungjong explained.

 

“We’re up next.” Junghwa looked up surprised.

 

The three entered at the head of their group. The Grand hall was beautifully decorated with candles and flowers. The concubines and consorts were seated on the empress’s side and the court officials on the emperor’s. The two monarchs sat together at the head of the room.

 

“Greetings to the emperor, may he reign forever.” They bowed to the ground and then got back to their feet.

 

“Greetings to the empress, may he reign forever.” They bowed again.

 

“Ah, the beauties you introduced me too.” Emperor smiled at the empress.

 

“Yes, they are your majesty. You three look wonderful tonight.” The empress compliments.

 

“I can tell you dedication to the empress by how wonderfully you dressed for him.” The emperor laughed.

 

“Thank you, your majesties.” the three bowed their heads.

 

Seungwan noticed the empress and the Noble consort make eye contact, the Noble consort looked at them and then nodded to the empress. Seungwan wondered what that meant. The Noble consort was going to head the harem while the empress is gone so hopefully it meant they would be under the Noble consorts care. Seungwan was worried everyday that the other members of the harem would harass them because of the empress’s favor. The three weren’t weak but they would like to avoid conflict.

 

“Reward these three with good wine. They deserve it for their devotion to their empress.” Yifan ordered.

 

“Thank you, your majesty.” The three bowed again and moved off to their seats.

 

“Now that everyone has arrived, I would like to give the empress his going away gift.” Sooyeon stood up.

 

“What would that be?” The emperor smiled excitedly.

 

“Well, if your majesties would step outside you’ll see.” Sooyeon smiled.

 

Yifan stood up and helped Xiumin up with him. The two walked down the hall to the entrance and looked down at the garden below. Lights began to float down the pond. Slowly it filled up and looked like a sky full of stars.

 

“How beautiful.” Xiumin exclaimed.

 

“This is a gift fit for an empress.” Yifan smiled wide.

 

“I say we should celebrate in the garden. A Banquet is nice but everyone should get to enjoy the view of the lanterns.” the empress suggested.

 

“Very smart.” Yifan turned to the banquet hall. “The empress has invited everyone to enjoy the view of the lanterns. Food will be served in the garden.” The emperor announced. The two monarchs lead the way into the garden and soon everyone was mingling around the pond.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun stood alone on one of the bridges looking over the pond full of lanterns. He has been thinking all day about what the empress had said. He had been mulling in his own bitterness since the fight between the empress and emperor and when his last chance to gain favor with the emperor had slipped away. He was angry because his chance at greatness had been taken away. He never cared about greatness when he was younger. . . but he never cared because he loved somebody and nothing was greater than that.

 

Footsteps on the bridge broke his train of thought. he turned and it was Prince Chanyeol.

 

“I’m sorry, your highness.” Chanyeol bowed his head and was about to walk away.

 

“Wait!”  Baekhyun stopped him. Chanyeol turned to look at him. “Can we talk?”

 

“What is there to talk about?” He frowned.

 

"Us. . . me.” Baekhyun offered.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I’m so sorry, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun started to tear up.

 

“You think sorry can fix this?” Chanyeol walked up the bridge and stood face to face with Baekhyun.

 

“No but isn’t that how you start? I know that what I did is probably unforgivable. I know now that what I was trying obtain was never going to replace-”

 

“The hole in your heart.” Chanyeol finished and Baekhyun looked up at him.

 

“Right, I was heartbroken after you let me go and the only thing I could think to replace it was power. Maybe that could bring me happiness but it didn’t. I had it and I felt just as empty.” Baekhyun turned toward the water.

 

“What brought this on all of a sudden. Why the change of heart?” Chanyeol stepped next to him.

 

“The empress said that our love wasn’t broken, just cracked. That there was still a chance for me to have love.” Baekhyun looked absently at the lanterns floating by them under the bridge.

 

“Do you believe that?”

 

“I want to but if you don’t then what can I do.”

 

“Love someone else. Like the emperor, you’re married to him.” Chanyeol suggested quietly.

 

“The empress also taught me that love and marriage don’t always go hand in hand.”

 

“I would have to agree with his majesty there.” Chanyeol chuckled.

 

“Is there a chance for us? I have nothing left Chanyeol and I don’t want to live bitter anymore.” Baekhyun turned to the prince.

 

“This could be dangerous, Baekhyun. You’re the Able consort and I’m a foreign prince.” Chanyeol warned.

 

“The empress gave us his blessing. I know he won’t let it slip.”

 

“I’m not surprised. His majesty is a true romantic.” Chanyeol smiled to himself. “So my Baekhyun was really still in there all along.”

 

“People change but that doesn’t mean the old them dies. No matter how hard they try to kill it.” Baekhyun sighed. He felt Chanyeol’s hand touch his face. It held his chin and turned him to look the prince in the eyes.

 

“I’m happy you didn’t succeed because the Baekhyun I know is the most beautiful light in the world.”

 

Baekhyun stood there in silence and without knowing it little balls of light started to fill the air and mingle among the lanterns on the water. the whole night was lit up and you could hear the court members in the garden gasp and cheer for the beautiful sight.

 

“Able consort! I see you wouldn’t be out done by the lanterns tonight.” The emperor’s booming vocie could be heard across the water. Baekhyun and the prince stepped away from each other immediately.

 

“I was wondering when we were going to see what a light dragon could really do.” Yifan said as the two monarchs approached and joined them on the bridge.

 

“Thank you, your majesty.” baekhyun looked away with a blush on his face. the light seemed to multiple and get brighter.

 

“They remind me vividly of fireflies.” Xiumin remarked. Baekhyun looked at the empress and he had a knowing smile on his face which caused Beakhyun's blush to get darker.

 

“This is truly a night to remember.” Yifan laughed.

 

“I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly, your majesty.” Chanyeol smiled brightly. Yifan looked at him skeptically.

 

“While I am still wary of you fourth prince, it does seem you and the empress have made a kind of amends.” Yifan sighed.

 

“We have. The fourth prince has become a good companion of mine.” Xiumin nodded.

 

“It is only because the empress is so kind and forgiving.’ Chanyeol bowed to Xiumin.

 

“Yes, my empress is somewhat of a saint.” Yifan said pleased. “I will consider lifting your house arrest.”

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked at each other excitedly and Xiumin had a warm smile on his face.

 

“Thank you so much, your majesty.” Chanyeol bowed deeply.

 

“Your welcome, now both of you should join me and the empress for a stroll.” The emperor walked past them with the empress and the two followed close behind them, off the bridge and into the gardens.

 

 

 

 

The empress was dressed in white robes for bed and sitting at his vanity as Heeyeon and Seulgi took down his hair.

 

“Tonight was truly beautiful, your majesty.” Luna noted.

 

“It was, wasn’t it.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“It feels like things are already changing. Your relationship with the emperor is strong, the Able consort’s bitter aura is no longer lingering around the harem, and the young members harem are still joyful and unjaded.”

 

“All according to plan.” the empress said proudly.

 

“Plan?” Dongwoo sounded surprised.

 

“I wanted to leave on a good note. Set the harem up to be happy and prosperous while I’m gone.” Xiumin explained.

 

“How smart, your majesty.” Seulgi complimented.

 

“By the way, Dongwoo. This new ‘bring love to the harem’ policy I've taken up, it applies to you as well.” The empress looked at him through the mirror.

 

“Excuse me, you majesty?” Dongwoo looked shocked.

 

“It’s fine if you don’t want to say but just know that I’m not opposed.” Xiumin smiled. This caused the three women in the room to start giggling and Dongwoo to blush.

 

“It couldn’t be the pure consort, could it?” Luna asked.

 

“I don’t know what you mean?” Dongwwo looked away.

 

“We’ve seen the way you look at her and she always laughs at your jokes, no matter how bad.” Heeyeon added.

 

“Let’s leave him alone. I’ll be going to bed now. Have a good night, everyone.” Xiumin stood up and all of them left the room.

 

When the room was quiet and he was alone Xiumin looked over to the statue of Sylia and Nali on the shelf. Maybe this trip and his time outside the palace will give him clarity on what Sylia has been trying to tell him. The prophecy of what could be a great war was still looming and with the south not likely to let up on their wish to start one, Xiumin was feeling more pressure to understand the meaning of the dream the Great mother had sent him. A young girl crying in a gazebo. He needed to know who that girl was and what had gone so wrong. Maybe stopping her tears would mean stopping the war.

 

 

Author's Note
I'm officially back from the dead! I have been gone so long I feel like my writing is rusty. Hopefully it's not and you guys still like it. I feel like this is  going to be a big shifting point in the story. It'll be a little less court drama esque and a little more adventure orientented. This is a long fanfic so we've still got alot to go! Thank you all so much for hanging in there while I was gone. Please continue to comment and subscribe and thank you for reading!