Revival

Divination

Xiumin sat in the sun room watching his song birds fly inside their enclosure. They looked happy and Xiumin wondered if they really were. He also faintly wondered if he was happy. It might be his lingering illness causing his sudden sadness but something told him it was more than that. The songbirds must be happy, their home was so big. They had room to stretch their wings.

 

A cage is a still a cage no matter how beautiful and big it is. A palace is still a cage.

 

“Luna.” Xiumin beckoned the woman over in a quiet voice. Luna stepped forward from her place by the door. “Why am I dissatisfied.” Xiumin took Luna’s hand in his own. Luna stayed silent for a moment.

 

“What kind of dissatisfaction are you feeling?” Luna leaned down to kneel before the empress.

 

“I feel as if I lost something.”

 

“That’s seems a bit strange because did you not just gain what you wanted, your majesty. The harem is at peace-”

“But at what price.” Xiumin suddenly snapped and the two stayed quiet staring at each other in shock.

“It seems your heart is hurting.” Luna whispered.

 

“The fourth prince could be an innocent man.” Xiumin looked away. “How could I let myself forget that.” Xiumin stood a walked away from Luna.

 

“You did it for the greater good, your majesty. There will always be sacrifices.” Luna stood up but stayed in her place.

 

“I have said that to myself a thousand times but does that really change what I have done. A hundred more justifications will not change the fact I threw a man into the fire to burn alive. I let this happen. How could my heart not hurt? How do you really expect me not ache for him?” Xiumin shouted and the birds flew about and squaked in distress.

 

“I never realized how affected you were, I’m sorry, your majesty.” Luna approached the upset ruler.

 

“It is not your fault. Only now do I see how much of myself I have let slip away in order to become a better ruler. But does being a great ruler really mean giving up on your dreams and morals.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“There is still time, your majesty. You can always go back and try to mend what has been broken inside you. You do not need to let go of your good heart.” Luna assured.

 

“I can not be that wicked person I became. I can not do to others what I did to the fourth prince.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“Is that really all that is weighing on you, your majesty?” Seulgi interjected. Xiumin stood quietly and then looked at his caged birds again.

 

“I suppose I’m also a bit lonely, cooped up. The more the emperor worries the less freedom I seem to have. Has love always been so overbearing?” Xiumin looked to his servants.

 

“I suppose it is one of the many facets of love.” Dongwoo sighed.

 

“Your heart is so heavy, your majesty. Maybe we should pray and you might feel lighter.” Luna suggested.

 

“I agree, I have not spoken to the great mother in so long. Maybe she can guide me.” Xiumin took Luna’s hand and the two lead the way from the sunroom to the inner rooms of the palace.

 

 

 

 

“Tell me Myungsoo, how did the empress spend his morning?” Yifan watched the eunuch from his desk.

 

“His majesty had breakfast and then spent much of the morning with his songbirds, Then her grace, priestess Luna, recommended the empress spend some time in prayer.” The eunuch recounted.

 

“Prayer? Any reason she suggested such a thing?” Yifan frowned.

 

“Her grace, told me that the empress has become depressed due to his illness and that prayer helps lighten his heart.” Myungsoo explained.

 

“I see, should I send a physician in to see the empress? Maybe they can help with his sadness.” Yifan looked to Yixing who shook his head.

 

“The priestess has the right idea. The empress is a very spiritual person. Prayer is best for him.” Yixing advised.

 

“Very well, see to it that no one disturbs the empress. You may take your leave.” Yifan dismissed the eunuch.

 

“Yes, your majesty.” Myungsoo bowed and backed out of the room.

 

“Is this really best?” Yifan sighed.

 

“I think you should let up more. The empress is competent enough to take care of himself.” Yixing reassured.

 

“I know that but I need to know he’ safe and healthy. When he isn’t sick I will let up but for now I need to keep an eye on him.” Yifan resolved.

 

“You know best, your majesty.” Yixing bowed his head.

 

 

 

 

Xiumin rose to his feet and startled the still praying priestess. Luna stood up as well.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

“I need to see the fourth prince.” Xiumin stated.

 

“But why?” Heeyeon frowned.

 

“I need to know what I really have done. Have I hurt an innocent man or have I really done my duty as empress and protected this palace. The great mother wishes me to seek greater clarity.” The empress explained.

 

“Very well, I will have the sedan chair prepared.” Dongwoo bowed and exited. Xiumin left the shrine and went out into the main hall.

 

“The empress is departing.” the herald called. The maids in the hall all stopped and kneeled to the ground as the empress left. He exited the Palace of the Moon and went down the extravagant chair waiting for him. Dong woo helped him to the seat. There was a moment of silence as the procession of servant lined up and then the departed to the gates of the harem.

 

Through the walkways of the palace servants and officials bowed in the presence of the empress. Xiumin sat quietly, not acknowledging them as he passed finally they arrived at the gates of the Hall of Sunbeams.

 

“Open the gates. The empress arrives.” The herald called and slowly the gates opened and the sedan chair was lowered. Dongwoo came around and helped Xiumin from his place. Chnayeol and Jongdae came out of the house and watched as the empress approached followed by a train of servants.

 

“Greetings to the empress, May he reign forever.” The servants of the hall bowed in unison. Chanyeol and Jongdae bowed as well.

 

“The fourth prince greets his majesty.” Chanyeol greeted.

 

“Rise.” Xiumin gestured “I did not wish to come uninvited but I have something I would like to speak to you about something.”

 

“Please come inside, your majesty.” Chanyeol stepped aside and Xiumin entered the sitting room. Chanyeol came after and settled down across from the empress. “How can I help the empress?” Chanyeol asked, gripping his chair tight.

 

“Chanyeol, we both know what happened was orchestrated. What’s done is done and I did regret having done it to an innocent man.”

 

“Thank you, your-”

 

“But I wonder if that man was really so innocent. I have a sinking feeling that you coming here is for unsavory reasons.” Xiumin frowned.

 

“Your majesty, I don’t know what-”

 

“Please no more placating or pretending. We are both past that.” Xiumin sighed. Chanyeol was silent for a second and then nodded his head.

 

“You are very keen, your majesty. I am not surprised you found out.” Chanyeol laughed.

 

“War is not a game.” Xiumin fixed Chanyeol with a hard stare.

 

“And my brother, does not treat it as such, your majesty.”

 

“Well, the way he just goes around starting wars for no other reason than he is bored and wants power, is convincing me otherwise.” Xiumin scoffed.

 

“The east needs to learn a lesson.” Chanyeol defended.

 

“The south needs to know their place!” Xiumin snapped and everyone in the room quieted. “You southerners always go farther than you should. Now I came here with the hope that my remorse for what was done was not misplaced but your defense of this horrible plan to ignite chaos is leaving me feeling I did the right thing.” Xiumin growled.

 

“I am sorry I am not the object of pity you were looking for, your majesty.” Chanyeol looked away.

 

“I suppose not.” Xiumin stood and the servants stood at attention. Chanyeol stood as well. “I can say I still feel bad for one thing.”

 

“What is that, your majesty?” Chanyeol looked back at the monarch.

 

“That it had to be Baekhyun to hurt you the most. Pain hurts most when it comes from within.” Xiumin turned away but did not walk. “Love can be so cruel.”

“What would you know? The emperor waits on you hand and foot.” Chanyeol mumbled but Xiumin heard him.

 

“Cruelty can disguise itself in many ways. Love is the most deceptive kind. Sometimes it is biting like a snake and other times in comes wrapped in gold.” Xiumin said solemnly. Chanyeol was in a stunned silence as the empress left.

 

“The empress departs!” The herald called.

 

“Long live the empress.” All the servants kneeled to the ground as he passed. Chanyeol slowly got down on one knee.

 

“Long live the empress.” He whispered to himself.

 

 

 

 

“The empress did what?” Baekhyun looked at his maid shocked.

 

“It seems he went to ask if the prince really supported the southern emperor’s plan to go to war. The fourth prince defended his brother and the empress was upset.” the maid explained.

 

“Nothing else transpired between them?” Baekhyun frowned.

 

“No, not that could be heard.” the maid frowned.

 

“That could be heard?” Baekhyun stood up.

 

“They exchanged some quiet words at the end that my friend could not hear but she did say that the fourth prince looked surprised and even bowed to the empress as he left.” The maid explained further.

 

“I don’t think I have anything to worry about.” Baekhyun sighed.

 

“Why is that your highness?” The eunuch asked.

 

“The empress is not about to ruin what he started. He went there out of remorse. He is still so soft but the fourth prince acted detestable enough to shatter that regret for the empress. We are safe.” Baekhyun reassured himself.

 

“Are you not worried that you will fall out of favor?’ The maid frowned.

 

“No, anyone falling out of favor means breaking the unity of the harem. The empress would never risk that.” Baekhyun explained. He sat back in his seat relaxed. “Everything is in it’s place. Life will be good.” Baekhyun reassured himself.

 

 

 

 

“Does your heart feel clear, your majesty?” Seulgi asked sitting by Xiumin’s bath side. The empress sat in the large pool surrounded by flower petals and herbs.

 

“I would say it is clearer than before. While I do not feel bad for the fourth prince any longer, I do  still stand on what I said before. I will not do those things again. The matter of my marriage is…” The empress trailed off into silence.

 

“A more complicated matter, your majesty?” Heeyeon offered.

 

“Yes, I can not just tell his majesty that I feel smothered and unhappy. It would break his heart.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“Maybe you should say it another way, your majesty. I am sure he cares for what you think.” Seulgi pouted.

 

“He does but he still has his pride. He wants to do what is best for me, so if I tell what he is doing is not the best then how will that make him look?” Xiumin explained.

 

“Oh my, how precarious.” Heeyeon groaned.

 

“I am feeling better so soon I will continue my duties again. I simply need patience and maybe a hobby.” Xiumin shrugged.

 

“A hobby, your majesty?” Seulgi sat up in her spot.

 

“I used to enjoy horseback riding but I have not done it in awhile. Ask Dongwoo to bring a horseback rider that can help me.” The empress ordered.

 

“Yes, your majesty.” Heeyeon bowed and ducked out of the room.

 

“Are you really going to do this?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Yes, it might help the ache in my heart. Horseback riding makes you feel like you’re flying. What’s more free than that?” Xiumin smiled and continued with his bath.

 

 

 

 

Dongwoo went to the stables the next day and found the horse master brushing down one of the horses. He approached and knocked on the stall to get his attention.

 

“Dongwoo, What can I help you with.” The older man smiled at the fellow guard.

 

“The empress wants someone who can teach him how to ride well and who also can be a good riding companion. Do you know anyone?” Dongwoo leaned over the door.

 

“Actually I know someone but she’s a bit rambunctious.” the Stable master frowned.

 

“The empress likes energy and personality. She would be a perfect fit.” Dongwoo assured the man.

 

“Her name is Liu Yiyun. She’s the younger daughter of old general Liu, she’s a great rider just like her father.”

 

“Perfect, summon her to the palace. The empress will want to meet her.” Dongwoo stood up straight.

 

“I will send word right away. Anything for his majesty, the empress” The stable master smiles fondly. Dongwoo nodded and promptly left the stable.

 

Dongwoo excited and ran into the general Yixing. Dongwoo bowed quickly.

 

“Dongwoo greets the general.” Dongwoo said with his head bow.

 

“Stand, what are you doing here so early in the morning?” Yixing looked into the stables behind the imperial guard.

 

“I am running an errand for the empress, sir” Dongwoo informed.

 

“What kind?”

 

“The empress wants a talented riding partner. His majesty wishes to take up the hobby again and asked me to find someone. The stable master suggested Liu Yiyun, sir.” Dongwoo explained. Yixing nodded and stayed silent for a minute.

 

“A good choice, she is a good rider and a proper companion for the empress.” Yixing approved.

 

“I am sure his majesty will agree, sir. I’m sorry but I must be on my way. The empress expects me back soon.” Dongwoo apologized and bowed.

 

“That’s fine, don’t keep his majesty waiting.” Yixing waved the guard away and watched as he disappeared past the gate in the palace corridors.

 

“Riding? I should tell the emperor.” Yixing whispered to himself.

 

 

 

 

“The empress has a hobby already.” Yifan said sternly.

 

“It seems he wishes to take up a new one, your majesty.” Yixing shrugged.

 

“Why riding? He only just recovered. Couldn’t he have settled for his less dangerous ones like writing music or painting.” Yifan paced the floor.

 

“I’m sure the empress already has some basic skill in riding. Up north it’s very popular.” Yixing reasoned.

 

“I want to talk to him.” Yifan said resolutely.

 

“You might upset him if you don’t let him have this. He will be riding with Liu Yiyun. She is extremely skilled.”

 

“And extremely unpredictable. Wild even.”

 

“The empress seems to value those who are bold.” Yixing said more to himself.

 

“I am departing for the palace of the moon.” Yifan called.

 

“Yes, your majesty.” The servants bowed and readied the chair.

 

At the steps of the palace, Myungsoo and the other maids chatting outside bowed to the floor at the sight of the emperor.

 

“Greetings to the emperor. May he reign forever.” They chanted.

 

“Rise, I am here to see my wife.” The emperor gestured for the doors to be opened. Myungsoo turned to the guards urgently and the doors were opened for the emperor. He entered the main hall. It was empty spare a few maid milling about who immediately got down in front of the emperor.

 

“Seulgi!” Yifan called to the head maid at his right. Seulgi was the only to rise.

 

“Seulgi greets his majesty.” Seulgi stepped forward bowing again.

 

“Fetch the empress.” He ordered.

 

“Yes, your majesty. Take his majesty to the sunroom and ready food.” She hissed to the younger maids before leaving for the shrine where the empress was praying.

 

Yifan was lead to the sun room and admired the songbirds as the servants hectically put food out for the two monarchs. Yifan watched the small birds chirp and fly around the large enclosure. He smiled to himself thinking of the happiness this room must bring his empress. His prized song birds and the fresh brightness of the sun.

 

“Greetings, your majesty.” Yifan turned to see the empress bowing at the door. Yifan quickly walked over and stopped the empress.

 

“Rise, my love. My empress need not bow.” Yifan said warmly. He lead Xiumin to sit down at the table covered in sweets.

 

“I am sorry for the rushing around. My people were not prepared for your visit.” Xiumin frowned.

 

“It is fine. I did not announce it so it is partly my fault.” Yifan held Xiumin’s hand in his. “I actually came to ask you about something I heard earlier.”

 

“What can I help you with, your majesty?” Xiumin leaned forward.

 

“Yixing has told me you are summoning Liu Yiyun to the palace to ride with you. Are you interesting in riding?” Yifan frowned.

 

“Oh my, you found out before I was able to tell you. I was hoping the hobby would get me out more. The fresh air is good for me. I want to try it after I fully recover. Are you displeased, your majesty?” Xiumin looked sad all of a sudden.

 

“No, not all. I am just concerned that Liu yiyun is too energetic to be your companion. Maybe someone less carefree.” Yifan suggested.

 

“But riding is supposed to be carefree and the stable master said she was the best choice. I don’t want to make you unhappy though, your majesty.” Xiumin looked down.

 

“Does Liu Yiyun really please you so much? Do you really prefer someone so bold?” Yifan said cautiously.

 

“I tend to like those more outgoing than me. I feel I am able to live more freely through them. I am too reserved. Not much fun.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“No, you are so charming, little bird. I enjoy our time together. But if it really pleases you so much to have that influence than I can not refuse. Liu yiyun is very skilled and I would be a fool to think you would not be in good hands with her.” Yifan laughed.

 

“You could never be a fool, your majesty.” Xiumin rest his hand on the emperor’s cheek.

 

“I am always a fool for you.” Yifan smiled and Xiumin pulled away, blushing. “Now let’s not let these sweets go to waste. Bring out tea as well.” The emperor ordered. Myungsoo waved away a group of maids to fulfill the command.

 

“Right away your majesty.” Myungsoo bowed.

 

 

 

 

Across the borders in the heart of the eastern palace. Kyungsoo reads the empress’s letter for the hundredth time. He was in awe of the fact the western empress had even accepted his request let alone write him such a kind message. His heart fluttered at the thought.

 

“Are you reading that again, darling?” Jongin walked into the gazebo smiling at his fiance.

 

“I can’t help it. It’s hard to believe it’s even real. The western empress, the imperial child of the great north is giving me sacrament for my wedding. Never in all my years have I dreamed of this. I mean I am so plain but him, he’s magnificent.”

 

“How do you know that, you’ve never seen him.” Jongin laughed as he sat down.

 

“But see how he writes. He’s like a scholar or a poet. Only great people write like this.” Kyungsoo insisted.

 

“I believe you, darling. His majesty, Yifan, would only pick the finest to be his empress.” Jongin held Kyungsoo close.

 

“Brother! Brother!” The two heard the princesses’ voices ringing through the garden. They saw the two girls running with their maids and eunuchs looking panicked behind them. Jongin laughed and Kyungsoo hid his smile.

 

“Slow down you two. Act like princesses.” Jongin chided when the princesses came close.

 

“Sorry brother.” Yerim giggled.

 

“What is so urgent that you came running?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Her majesty, asked for you two in the throne room.” Sooyoung jumped in.

 

“The emperor? That’s strange.” Kyungsoo frowned.

 

“Hopefully it’s good news.” Jongin sighed. “Let’s be off.” He called to all the servants. Kyungsoo and him lead the group with the princesses close behind. The throne room was quiet as Hyoyeon sat on the throne with the empress to her right.

 

“Greetings to the emperor. May she reign forever.” The servants all bowed.

 

“The crown prince greets the emperor.” Jongin bowed.

 

“The crown princess greets the emperor.” Kyungsoo followed.

 

“You two are simply glowing.” Hyoyeon chuckled. “Luckily the news I have to give will not destroy this wonderful mood. I have gotten word from the priests at the high temple of the mount that the western empress’s sacraments are highly auspicious and that the great immortal Kalsam is pleased with your choice. A descendent of Kalsam’s most favored wife is nothing short of the finest to bless your wedding.”

 

“This is wonderful news.” Jongin looked at his fiance.

 

“I could not ask for anything better.” Kyungsoo agreed.

 

“Do well to pray often so that Kalam's favor stays with you. Also give prayer to Sylia. It would not hurt for her to hear you as well.” Miyoung, the empress, reminded.

 

“Of course, imperial sister.” Jongin nodded.

 

“That is all the news I have for you. Oh actually one more thing. Yerim, Sooyoung princesses do not run about the castle playing tag with the maids. Please be more refined.” The emperor warned. The two princess looked away, acting innocent. “You are dismissed.” The emperor stood and left the room.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol sat in silence and stared off into space in almost a trance like state. Jongdae came in quietly and saw the prince sitting alone.

 

“Your highness, I have received a letter from your brother.” Jongdae put the paper down on the table. Chanyeol turned and sighed.

 

“Calling me and idiot and a failure no doubt.” He said as he opened it up. He read it and slowly his face became more shocked.

 

“What is it, your highness?” Jongdae tried to see the letter for himself.

 

“It’s seems my brother has not given up yet.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“What did his majesty say?” Jongdae sat down.

 

“He wants me to gather info that might help the west feel more incentive to go to war with the east. Anything is worth noting.” Chanyeol summarized.

 

“I see but how can we do that with our hands tied. We are under house arrest.” Jongdae frowned.

 

“I think I may know someone that may who can help us.” Chanyeol put the letter down.

 

“Who?” Jongdae leaned in.

 

“The empress.”

 

“What?!” Jongdae sat back in shock. “Pardon me but are you mad, your highness? There is no one here that hates us more, besides maybe the emperor.”

 

“A bleeding heart like the empress can’t ignore a man who has had his heartbroken. It’s not that he will get us information he will simply get us out so we can hear things ourselves. Think of all the information that is spilled to him everyday. He is at the center of everything.” Chanyeol explained.

 

“You can’t honestly believe that he will simply spend time with you out of pity, your highness?” Jongdae frowned deeply.

 

“Love is paramount in the empress’s life. He has felt pain and would comfort anyone who has felt the same. I need to find the right occasion for us to speak. I can not seek him out, it must be more natural.” Chanyeol stood up and began to pace.

 

“There is someone we can ask.” Jongdae stood up and left the room briefly and then came back with a young maid. “She has friends who work in the palace of the moon.”

 

“Have any of these friends of yours told you about the empress’s upcoming plans?” Chanyeol approached the girl.

 

“I am not sure I should be telling you this, your highness.” the girl paled.

 

“Don’t worry it’s just between us.” Jongdae reassured.

 

“Um, I did hear that tomorrow the empress will be out riding with Liu Yiyun, your highness.” The maid looked at her feet.

 

“Liu Yiyun?”

 

“She is the daughter of Grand general Liu. She is a very skilled rider and will be the empress’s riding companion from now on.” The amid explained.

 

“That’s perfect. I will go out riding and run into the empress.” Chanyeol nodded to himself. “You may go.” The prince dismissed the girl, who scurried out quickly.

 

“Tomorrow I will ready a horse and then maybe I’ll be able to get the information my brother wants.” Chanyeol sighed and retreated to his bed quarters.

 

 

The next morning Xiumin held meeting with his ministers and consorts for the first time since the emperor’s embargo on his work.

 

“The empress will now hold counsel.” Myungsoo announced.

 

“I am happy to be back to my formal duties. I am also surprised that the able consort would accompany me and the noble consort today. I am happy you are taking an active role in the harem.” Xiumin said from the throne to the two consorts seated on either side of him.

 

“The female Minister of the department of treasures enters.” Myungsoo introduced. The woman came and bowed before the empress.

 

“Greetings to the empress. May he reign forever.” She greeted

 

“Rise, you may now present your report.” The empress instructed. the woman began to speak. In the middle of the long story Seulgi leaned over to the empress.

 

“Are you really surprised that the Able consort came this morning, your majesty?” She whispered.

 

“Of course not. He has recently risen to some status after the success of his plan. He was to secure that place, so assuring I run things in a way that keeps him safe is only common sense.” Xiumin whispered back.

 

“Will you give in to him?” Seulgi frowned.

 

“He doesn’t mean much harm. I will correct him if I think he is stepping in too much. Like I said, I will not play his game anymore. Not after the incident with the fourth prince.” Xiumin assured and Seulgi moved back to her place with a smile.

 

“In summary your majesty, I believe the rule for the consorts not to keep important imperial headpieces in their private quarters should be more strictly enforced. It has caused gaps in our legers because the headdresses that were once housed along with the rest of the harem’s valuables are no longer there. It makes the department of treasures seem irresponsible when in actuality the pieces were never returned. I do not want to disrespect their highnesses, the consorts, but palace rule must be followed.” The Minister explained.

 

“I understand your stance and I agree. Palace rules should not be loosely followed. The order in the nation must first start with order in the palace.” The empress nodded.

 

“The empress is correct. Strict adherence is the only way.” Taeyeon nodded.

 

“How about the Able consort?” Xiumin smiled at the other consort.

 

“I believe we should recognize that the headdresses are power symbols that enforce the consort’s status in the harem. Strict hierarchy is the basis of society.” Baekhyun said evenly. Xiumin smiled faltered for a second.

 

“The Department of Treasures is also apart of that hierarchy and it is unfair to cause them to be seen as lazy when in truth the items under their care have not been returned. The consorts must keep status but they must also set an example for the rest of the harem.” Xiumin corrected the younger man. Baekhyun sat in silence. he didn’t show it on his face but his eyes gleamed with shock.

 

“The empress is right. The consorts will return all headdresses owned by the imperial family in the coming week so that the Department of Treasures may properly take inventory.” Taeyeon decreed.

 

“I make it the empress’s decree.” Xiumin ordered.

 

“The Female Minister is dismissed.” Myungsoo bowed to the older woman, who bowed once more a quickly left. “Next to enter is the Second Minister to the harem.” Myungsoo called. The woman entered and made her greeting.

 

“Rise. Tell me what have you come to speak about?”

 

“I have come to discuss the issue of the dressing of the harem for the upcoming Western Wind Festival. I would like to know if you would like to have the clothing to be more modest seeing as it is the first festival after the passing of the late emperor.” The minister asked.

 

“Yes, this is an issue I have been meaning to address. I believe it would be disrespectful to Dras if the members of the harem did not dress well enough for his day of birth but the late emperor must also be respected. I believe extravagance can be allowed but have everyone stick to light more demure patterns and colors. It will be a good balance to please all the ancestors.” The empress expressed.

 

“Pardon me for saying but should the emperor not first be addressed on the matter of his father’s memorial?” Baekhyun asked the female Minister.

 

“Oh, well I-”

 

“Able consort might I remind you that The Western Wind Festival is under my supervision. I decide how these issues are handled. The emperor does not need to be bothered by issues already delegated to others. The second Minister has been given permission to address me on this. Stand down, please.” The empress reprimanded sternly.

 

“I apologize, your majesty.” Baekhyun bowed his head.

 

“Proceed as ordered, Second Minister.” The empress dismissed the woman. “You may all leave I have other engagements today.” The empress rose and everyone left the hall.

 

“The Able consort was so bold today.” Heeyeon frowned.

 

“He was, much more than I suspected. I might have to find a way to calm him down.” Xiumin entered his private quarters.

 

“What will you do?” Seulgi helped the empress siti down.

 

“I’m not sure yet but something has to be done. Baekhyun can’t start to think he runs this harem just because his plan worked once.” Xiumin sighed. “Get my riding clothes ready. Liu Yiyun will be here soon.”

 

 

 

 

Xiumin rode out on to the field followed by his parade of servants who stopped at the edge of the riding ring.

 

“Greetings your Majesty.” Liu Yiyun bowed from atop her horse.

 

“Do not be so formal, I hope we can be friends. I know that my entrances can be a bit intimidating what with the parade of people who follow me around.” Xiumin laughed.

 

“I have always wondered if it is hard to bear for your majesty.” Yiyun asked openly.

 

“Not hard but sometimes tiring.” Xiumin chuckled. “Let’s ride casually on the trail today. Since we’ve only just met I think we should talk.”

 

“Of course your majesty.” Yiyun agreed.

 

The trails in the forest of the hunting preserve were beautiful and bursting with sunlight. Xiumin and the general’s daughter chatted as the slowly rode through the trees followed by Dongwoo and two other guard on horse back.

 

“Are you also good with a sword?” Xiumin asked, while the young woman was talking about her riding lessons.

 

“I think I am decent. Better than I am with  a bow.” Yiyun laughed. “Your majesty, is an expert with a bow and arrow, I’ve heard.”

 

“It was my favorite sport growing up. If you want to learn better than I can always teach you.” Xiumin offered.

 

“That’s sound amazing!” Yiyun exclaimed but then quieted when she realized her outburst.

 

“Don’t worry. I don’t want you to curb your excitement for me. I enjoy seeing other overjoyed.” Xiumin insisted.

 

“Thank you, your majesty.”

 

“Your Majesty, funny meeting you out here.” A voice called from down the trail. The empress looked ahead to find the prince Chanyeol riding towards them.

 

“Fourth prince, are you also out for a ride?”

 

“I am, Chanyeol greets his majesty.” Chanyeol stopped and bowed his head.

 

“I am Liu Yiyun, I am pleased to meet you your highness.” Yiyun greeted the prince.

 

“You are the daughter of General liu. That is a very impressive family you have.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“Thank you, your highness.” Yiyun smiled.

 

“Ride with us, Fourth prince.” Xiumin beckoned over. Chanyeol brought his horse around and rode on the other side of the empress. They all rode in silence until Xiumin spoke again. “Dongwoo is a very good rider and I have been curious to see if you could keep up Yiyun.”

 

“Keep up? Like a race because if so I can guarantee that I will win, your majesty.” Yiyun smiled.

 

“I like your confidence but I will still put my money on my Dongwoo. How about a fair race. To the lake at the end of this trail.” Xiumin suggested.

 

“I accept!” Dongwoo pulled ahead.

 

“I think I will put my money on Lady Liu.” Chanyeol added.

 

“Alright then. Stop.” Xiumin stopped the group. Dongwoo and Yiyun pulled in front. “Are you ready?...Go!” Xiumin called it and the two raced off into the forests.

 

“I hope your man is as good as you say.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“You forgive and forget very quickly, Fourth Prince. They should call you Chanyeol the virtuous.”

 

“I am simply searching for a friend in my dark time. I think I am just as heartbroken as you said I am.” Chanyeol laughed bitterly. Xiumin was quiet.

 

“Love can be unforgiving that way.” Xiumin sighed.

 

“I do not want you to pity me. I was just under the impression you would understand.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“I do, love is a complicated game. A balancing beam that you could fall off of at anytime.” Xiumin started up his horse again.

 

“I know I did Baekhyun wrong but I never knew he would become so spiteful.” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“There is no wrath like that of a scorned lover. I had my reasons for going along with Baekhyun’s plan to sink you. Your motives were simply not acceptable but I had no inkling of Baekhyun’s true reason for using you.” Xiumin explained.

 

“Do you know if I could ever win him back.” Chanyeol looked at the empress as they slowly made their way through the trails towards the lake.

 

Xiumin was quiet as he thought about what the prince had asked him. Then it came to him, maybe this was what he needed to calm Baekhyun down. Love could calm the light dragon’s thirst for power. Real love, Chanyeol’s love. Just because baekhyun felt scorned now didn’t mean some strategic planning could get him to move back towards the prince. The fourth prince could once again come in handy.

 

“If that is what you want I can see to it that it happens.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, This is my harem and if I want something to happen it will. A consorts duty is one of politics in this harem not of heart. No one will mind if Baekhyun’s heart is with you. Not if I have anything to say about it.” Xiumin grinned.

 

“Are you really willing to help me?” Chanyeol looked surprised.

 

“I am, fourth prince. Think of it as my apology for the trouble you had to go through to come here and not get the war you wanted.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“I am indebted to your kindness, your majesty.” Chanyeol bowed his head.

 

“I will remember that for later. Now let’s see who won the race.” Xiumin pulled ahead towards the upcoming the lake.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol arrived back to his quarters with a smile on his face. Jongdae noticed the prince’s bright demeanor.

 

“I assume things went well with the empress.” Jongdae smiled.

 

“I’m in, Jongdae. At the end of the week, the empress will be here for dinner. He would have invited me to the palace of the moon but I am not allowed in the harem. He said he would help me get Baekhyun back.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“This is more than you could ask for, your highness. An inside on the info the empress gets and a chance to win the Able consort’s heart back.” Jongdae sat the prince down.

 

“I can’t forget that the empress might have his own agenda in helping me but for now i will accept his help. It’s strange how quickly loyalties can change in this place. No wonder Baekhyun is so paranoid. With fickle consorts, nagging princess, and an empress who will change his favor everyday if it suits one can only be ruthless to hold on.” Chanyeol sighed.  

 

“In the south the harem is quite stressful as well.” Jongdae frowned.

 

“Yes but the size of this harem makes it worse. Also add an empress who can what he wants when he wants because the emperor will simply croon and dote on him no matter what.” Chanyeol insisted. “This is as bad as the holy harem of Kalsam in the days of old.”

 

“I suppose you’re right, your highness.” Jongdae nodded.

 

Across the palace ground n the Empress's chambers,The empress sat at a table and Yiyun sat with him. The two had wine and food set before them.

 

“I am impressed to hear you and Dongwoo tied. I never knew someone could be a match for my dear guard. I am highly impressed.” Xiumin laughed.

 

“I am happy I was able to please you today, your majesty” Yiyun laughed.

 

“Your majesty, the pure consort has come asking for you.” A maid whispered.

 

“Yejin?” The empress looked confused.

 

“Her highness yejin is here?” Yiyun smiled.

 

“Do you know the Pure consort?” Xiumin turned to the young woman.

 

“We were friends since childhood, your majesty.” Yiyun explained.

 

“Bring the Pure consort in and bring more whine.” The empress smiled. The Pure consort enter and bowed to the empress.

 

“Yejin greets his majesty.” Yejin smiled.

 

“Rise and come greet your old friend.” Xiumin smiled. Yejin stood and ran over to Yiyun. The two hugged before Yejin was seated at the table.

 

“It has been so long since we have been able to see each other. Thank you for letting me see Yiyun, your majesty.” Yejin smiled.

 

“Of course, now what did you come to me tonight about.” Xiumin sat up and smiled.

 

“Well, I acquired a new board game that I thought your majesty would like.” Yejin took a box from her eunuch.

 

“You must teach us how to play then.” Xiumin insisted.

 

“I will, your majesty. the trader who gave to me actually told that this game is even more fun when you bet.” Yejin added.

 

“I am always up for a little gambling!” Yiyun exclaimed.

 

“A little gambling it is then. Let’s learn how to play.” Xiumin clapped his hands and the game was set up and more wine was brought out.

 

 

 

 

“He spent the night gambling and drinking with Liu Yiyun and the Pure consort?” Yifan looked at Myungsoo incredulously.

 

“Yes, your majesty. Her highness the Pure consort brought a game that she insisted was more fun when you made bets. Lady liu and his majesty were willing to play. They ended up playing till late.” Myungsoo explained again.

 

“I can not believe this. This is what I get for letting him spend time with Liu Yiyun. I knew Yejin could be excitable but it was only doubled by the presence of an old friend.” Yifan sighed.

 

“Would you like me to make sure the empress refrains, your majesty?” Myungsoo frowned.

 

“No, It was one time and the empress is entitled to a little fun.” Yifan sighed. “You are dismissed.” Yifan waved the eunuch away lazily.

 

“Yes, your majesty.” Myungsoo left the imperial study.

 

 

 

 

Two days later Xiumin was out on the riding field again with Yiyun. Chanyeol, Dongwoo, and Yiyun joined them on horseback. The group, including the able consort, had gotten closer over a few more nights of gambling and games.

 

“Why don’t we do some archery on horseback today. I am a little rusty.” Xiumin suggested.

 

“Even rusty I am sure you are the best, your majesty.” Yejin praised.

 

“I don’t know, the fourth prince is still a worthy opponent.” Xiumin smiled.

 

“I think my defeat on welcoming day says otherwise, your majesty.” Chanyeol laughed.

 

“Oh don’t be ridiculous. A man should not be measured by his failures but by his achievements instead.” Xiumin insisted.

 

“Thank you for the encouragement, your majesty” Chanyeol bowed his head in thanks.

 

“Let’s get shooting!” Yiyun cheered.

 

Chanyeol, Yiyun, and Xiumin took up bows. One at at time the would ride and shoot the large targets at the end of the field. Eventually the empress was up again.

 

“I think we could make this more interesting.” Xiumin frowned.

 

“How so your majesty?” Dongwoo asked.

 

“Set the arrow on fire.” Xiumin announced.

 

“Why your majesty?” Chanyeol looked confused.

 

“Because I guarantee I can freeze that fire when the arrow hits the target.” Xiumin explained.

 

“If you insist.” Chanyeol took the arrow and light a spark at the tip.

 

“I believe in you, your majesty!” Yiyun clapped.

 

Xiumin kicked his horse to start and focused on the target. He felt the heat of the fire on his face and he pressed the end to his cheek. He was quiet as he let the arrow fly. As it made contact with target ice spread from the end to the flaming tip and covered the now flaming target board.

 

“Amazing!” Yejin shouted.

 

“Spectacular, you majesty” Yiyun agreed.

 

“Flaming arrows are far more interesting.” Chanyeol surmised and Xiumin laughed. The sound other another horse riding by caught there attention. The looked to see the Able consort slowly approaching.

 

"You finally decided to accept my invitation Baekhyun!" Xiumin rode over beside the consort.

 

"I mean seeing how fun you all are on gambling nights I just couldn't pass up the chance to see you all on the field as well." Baekhyun smiled at everyone but his gaze never fell on Chanyeol only a few yards away.

 

"Let's continue the fun then. Fourth Prince why don't you show, The Able consort the game." Xiumin smiled to the prince who saw the chance the empress was giving him.

 

"Of course your majesty. Follow me ont ot he field, your highness." Chanyeol bowed his head and lead Baekhyun out on the field. Baekhyun rode on with the sinking susupision there was something going on.

 

 

 

 

“FLAMING ARROWS!” Yifan shouted and the eunuch shook in his boots.

 

“Yes, your majesty.” Myungsoo whispered.

 

“He spent the day shooting flaming arrows at targets while riding full speed on horseback.?” Yifan sat back in shock.

 

“Impressive.” Yixing said under his breath.

 

“Next thing you’re going to tell me is that the fourth prince was the one to light the arrows.” Yifan huffed. Myungsoo was completely silent and Yifan looked at him in astonishment. “No.” He shook his head.

 

“Yes.” Myungsoo frowned.

 

“What is going on.” Yifan ran his hand through his hair.

 

"You did say that empress should be allowed to have a little fun." Yixing commented.

 

"I did but this is too much. This has too far. I've let these reckless daredevils horribly influence my little bird . I'm putting my foot down. Ready my chair, I am going to see the empress." Yifan ordered.

 

 

 

Author's Note
Holy crap this is a monster and the craziest part is that it's the lead into another couple really hefty chapters. I'm not crazy right this is a long chapter right. You guys don't mind when they're long right? So things are moving along and it looks like our main couple might be hitting some rough waters in their relationship. Let's hope it works out. School is crazy so I really enjoy sitting down and getting to write for you guys. It helps me unwind. I make tea, put on music. It's very nice! So we've got some new characters so be sure to go check out the foreword because I've added pictures to the character list. Please continue to comment and subscribe! Thank you for reading!