Inception

Divination

The Northern Dragon kingdom is one of the four great kingdoms under heaven. It is ruled by the old Kim dynasty. The elder emperor is the father of two sons Kim Junmyeon and Kim Xiumin. Xiumin, the youngest, is the mirror image of his late mother,  the empress. She was a princess of the tribe in the mountains of the Great North, where the cold is so deep and so endless that it is a place where no life can thrive besides the ancient ice dragon tribes. The ice dragons live no where but the Great North, so after his mother’s death Xiumin was the only ice dragon who lived outside of it and the lonliness has plaqued him. Xiumin’s power is unbridled because the soul of an ice dragon is made of winter and wind and nothing can contain it. Where he steps ice follows and when his emotions go unchecked snow begins to fall. It is for this reason and because of his rare beauty that his Father, following his mother’s death, had Xiumin hidden away. They feared he would be coveted and gawked at like an animal in a menagerie and not treated like a person, like a prince. So Xiumin was forced to live his days in the quiet Hall of Twilight inside the depths of the Imperial Winter palace.

 

For Xiumin the love of his maids and his family was always enough. Marriage was a far off idea. He always just thought he would live in the palace under his father and then his brother. Locked up in his quarters for his own good. But when his brother came to visit him one day he brought news Xiumin never thought he would hear.

 

"Me? Married to an Emperor!" Xiumin frowned.

 

"Yes, aren't you happy. You won't be locked up in here any more." Junmyeon smiled.

 

Xiumin never thought of himself as locked up. The Hall of Twilight was beautiful and quiet. Everything he ever wanted was here or could be brought here. A pretty garden and sun filled rooms were all he dreamed of as he spent his days among the sound of his song birds and the rustle of servant's dresses. The giggles of his favorite maids echoed through the rooms as they played board games to entertain him or composed music to pass the time. But when Junmyeon says ‘locked up’ it was less like paradise and more like a gilded cage.

 

"This is no cage to me. I can do what I want in here and besides I would be an empress. What freedom would I have? Everyone's eyes always on me as they whisper and point at me like I am some kind of attraction. Look at the ice dragon they’ll say. I’ve never seen one before. Isn't that what I've been hiding from all these years." Xiumin sighed.

 

"I never thought of that.Oh, is there no good place for you. If only mother was here" Junmyeon groaned.

 

"Yes, if only mother was here. But even then there is no place for me. Ice dragons belong in the Great North. There no one fears you for not being able to control your powers. No one treats you like a priceless prize to be caught. In the Great North I would be normal" Xiumin looked away to painting on the wall. He had one made of the snowy peaks, to remind him of his mother’s home. He had never been there but there was no doubt he could feel in his soul. It screamed to be there and dragged him there every night in his dreams. He needed the painting to remind him that he wasn’t alone in the world.

 

"Why must an ice dragon’s power be so overwhelming. Why can it not be fully under control?" Junmyeon stood up from the table.

 

“It is the curse of Nali. The sorceress cursed all ice dragons to be so cold that no one could approach them even if they were beautiful, even if they were loved. She was jealous of them and they fled to the Great North where they could live in peace.”

 

“Damn Nali.” Junmyeon shouted.

 

"Please don't say things like that brother." Xiumin took the older young man's hand. "I'll be ok. I'll persevere. Being empress will not be so bad. Hopefully the emperor is kind." Xiumin assured.

 

"You are my precious brother. At first I thought this would be good but if you will just be locked up again and treated like some pet then I would rather you be locked up here under my supervision. At least here you are not some sideshow, here you are a prince." Junmyeon held the other's hands tight.

 

"I trust you brother. You will do what's right for me. Father will too." Xiumin smiled.

 

After Junmyeon left, Xiumin sat lightly pulling at the strings of his zither. He was lost in thought imagining the west. He couldn't create an image in his mind. He had not seen the world but he knew who has.

 

"Seulgi, Heeyeon!" Xiumin called. The shuffle of feet followed and the two young girls appeared before him.

 

"How can we help your highness?" Seulgi bowed and spoke first.

 

"I want you two to take Dongwoo and find me books about the west. If I am to live there I want to know something." Xiumin instructed.

 

"Right away your highness." Heeyeon smiled and the two rushed out. Xiumin settled into his trance again and waited for their footsteps to return.

 

The west was a whole new world. Now he knew how his mother must have felt all those years ago. She had to leave the Great North and go south. But was his fate the same as his mother's or would his destiny be brighter.

 

 

 

 

Wu Yifan was the emperor of the western kingdom. Young, powerful, and vibrant. He ascended the throne after the death of his father. He was the sole ruler with no mother or grandmother to instruct him. The kingdom was his and now he wanted an empress. The inner court and harem had been ruled by his sister for too long. It was in fact his sister who suggested he go to the north to look for a bride. Untapped potential she called it. The west and the north have never interacted and seeing as they are the only neighbor the west has to help protect against the badlands in the far west an alliance with them is wise.

 

"What better alliance than a marriage." Yifan said out loud.

 

"What better alliance indeed." Yixing laughed. Yifan frowned as he looked up from his book at his head advisor and best friend.

 

"If it is such a good idea why am I so unsure." Yifan sighed.

 

"Well, your majesty, you've never met the boy so that could be part of your trepidation." Yixing sat down.

 

"That's true. There must be a way to learn more about him." Yifan stood up and paced the room. He snapped his fingers. "I've got it. I will request a painting of him to be sent to me. Then I will know what he looks like."

 

"That sounds effective but what about-"

 

"Call for the scribe and send my letter to the northern emperor!" Yifan ordered, cutting Yixing off.

 

"Of course your majesty." Yixing sighed.

 

 

 

 

Xiumin lounged in the sun with Dongwoo, Seulgi, and Heeyeon surrounded by the books the servants found.

 

"Hear this!" Xiumin gathered them as he read. "Harem fashion in the west is extravagant. Hair is worn high and full of ornaments. Dresses are bright, vibrant colors full of golden designs. Look at this picture." Xiumin showed the the drawing.

 

"Extravagant? More like gaudy!" Seulgi exclaimed.

 

"Why do they wear their hair so high? Are they building a ladder to heaven with it because I hate to tell them that their hair is probably what’s stopping them from getting there." Dongwoo rolled his eyes.

 

"I will look like a fool. And all these rules they write about. How does anyone breath?" Xiumin lamented.

 

"They have pretty gardens though." Heeyeon tried to be optimistic.

 

"What good is a garden if you have to have a whole ceremony to view it." Seulgi huffed.

 

"What will I do? Even worse what will I do if this emperor is cold and loves his concubines more than me. There are so many!" Xiumin sighed.

 

"Please look on the bright side, your highness." Heeyeon begged.

 

"I will try."

 

 

 

A few days pass and the end of the week came. The northern emperor received the correspondence from the other ruler.

 

"A painting?" The crown prince frowned.

 

"I'm happy he is taking an interest in Xiumin." The northern emperor smiled.

 

"It is encouraging." Junmyeon nodded.

 

"Bring the best painter in the kingdom and tell him to paint a beautiful portrait of my son. I want the western emperor to be in awe of his empress-to-be." The northern emperor ordered his advisors.

 

"The letter also asked Xiumin to write something. Xiumin will like that. He is a beautiful writer, almost a poet." Junmyeon smiled.

 

"Wonderful! I have made a good choice to make this alliance. The western emperor seems to be a good man." The old emperor chuckled.

 

"Maybe things are looking up." Junmyeon mumbled to himself.

 

The message was relayed to the Hall of Twilight causing Xiumin to panic and cause and early winter in the hall. The blizzard was calmed and the proper arrangements were made. The painter arrived the very next day.

 

"Put together my finest outfit. I don't want to look plain especially considering what this emperor is used to." Xiumin instructed Seulgi.

 

"Of course, your highness." Seulgi rushed to the closet to fetch the clothes.

 

"Greetings and long life to your imperial highness." The painter arrived with his assistants and they bowed before the prince.

 

"Rise." He commanded. "Thank you for coming. My attendant will give you a tour of the Hall and you may decide the best place to do the portrait." Xiumin waved to Dongwoo to leave with them. The painters bowed again and left with Dongwoo.

 

"We are ready to dress you, your highness," Seulgi approached. Xiumin stepped behind the screen and stood as Hyeyeon and Seulgi got him ready.

 

"A painting and a letter. What a strange request." Xiumin sighed.

 

"It might be a good sign. It shows he's interested." Seulgi smiled.

 

"But what if he doesn't like what he sees." Xiumin frowned.

 

"Have more confidence, your highness. Ice dragons are the most beautiful. He is lucky to get to marry you. There's only one of you." Heeyeon giggled.

 

"That is something I am also worried about." Xiumin whispered. They finished dressing him and they followed another attendant out to the northwest courtyard.

 

"The waterfall garden is a good choice." Seulgi hummed.

 

"A very good choice." Heeyeon agreed. They entered the courtyard and the painters were ready.

 

"Let us begin your highness." The painter bowed.

 

"Yes, let us." Xiumin nodded.

 

 

 

 

A month passed before the envoy from the west could return with the painting the emperor ordered. The painter took his time and perfected it. It was a masterpiece according to the painter. The north just hoped it pleased the western emperor.

 

“The royal envoy enters.” The herald called as a group of men entered. Yifan sat up on the throne and looked alert.

 

“Greetings to your imperial majesty. May you reign forever.” the envoy and his men bowed.

 

“Rise. Welcome back, how was your trip north?” The young emperor asked.

 

“It was splendid and we were able to return with what you requested.” the envoy bowed.

 

“Good, bring it here.” Yifan was eager to see what this prince really looked like. The envoy called to the men outside and the brought in a sizable painting and stand. they set the stand and put the cover painting.

 

“May I present to you the second prince of the northern dragon kingdom.” The drape was pulled away and Yifan felt his heart stop. He doesn’t think he’s ever seen anything so breathtaking. He got up off the throne and walked down to the painting.

 

“Are his eyes really blue?” The emperor asked.

 

“Yes your majesty. I was informed that ice dragons do in fact have blue eyes.” The envoy nodded.

 

“Here we have the letter you also requested.” Another man hand a parchment to the emperor. Yifan looked confused.

 

“I asked for it, your majesty. I hope you don’t mind.” Yixing stepped forward.

 

“Of course not but who wrote it? And to whom?” Yifan asked.

 

“Your intended wrote it to you. I added the letter to the request. He believed that you had asked for him  write it to you.” Yixing explained. Yifan turned back to the painting and looked at the letter in his hand.

 

“Take the painting to my private quarters.” Yifan ordered. Servants rushed to have it done. He went back up to the throne and faced the men in court. “We are done till tomorrow. I dismiss you all.” He commanded.

 

“Long Live the Emperor. May he reign forever” they chanted at the made their final bow. The throne room emptied and only Yixing was left.

 

“I will go now and let you get to know your empress a little better.” Yixing bowed deeply and left. Yifan looked at the letter in his hand one last time before exiting followed by his servants to his quarters.

 

 
 
Author's Note
First Chapter! Always love a new chapter but don't worry to anyone who reads Rooftops I still love that story too. I'm a big fantasy person so this is kinda extra fun for me. I'm going for a lofty fantasy epic with this one so strap yourselves in this is going to a wild ride! I will most likely post the second chapter tonight as well. Please read, comment, and subscribe!