Sick Day (1/2)

Over The Picket Fence

The walk home has Wendy drowning in her emotions. Should she tell Seulgi who she is or should she wait for Seulgi to say that she knows? Does she even know? She's dying to find out but she's scared to act now that she's aware of what she put Seulgi through when she left.

 

They're at the front door and Wendy slowly takes off Seulgi's coat, handing it back to her.

 

"Thanks again, Seulgi." She says, voice shaky. She slowly turns to the door, prays that Seulgi will say something and not let this go. God seems to hear her.

 

"I know, by the way." Seulgi says, taking a step forward. Wendy turns to face her. She sees the sureness in Seulgi's eyes and she feels like dying. "I know who you are, Wendy."

 

"Yeah? Who am I?" She asks, tries to keep her voice from shaking but fails miserably. 

 

"You're Seungwan. My Seungwan." 

 

It's as if time has stopped. Wendy is frozen in place and Seulgi is smiling so brightly at her she feels like she will go blind. Her heart is doing somersaults in her chest and her mind has gone blank. After days of waiting and some reinforcement on her part, Seulgi finally recognizes her.

 

"H-how did you-"

 

"It's a long story and we have a lot to catch up on. We'll talk tomorrow. You should get some sleep. Good night, Seungwan." She takes a step back and motions for Wendy to go inside the house. 

 

Wendy is hesitant but Seulgi gives her an assuring smile, somehow making her feel that all of this is real and will still be here when she wakes up in the morning.

 

"Promise?" She just had to ask again, just to have something concrete to hold on to, something that will get her through the night because she knows she won't get any sleep, not when Seulgi is looking at her like that.

 

"Yes, I'll be here tomorrow." Is all Seulgi says to finally convince the other girl to head inside.

 

--

 

The clock on Wendy's desk reads eight minutes past ten. Her entire body is rocked with jitters. Seulgi has never been late even one minute in the past week and a half that she has been working for them. Something's not right.

 

"You're overreacting, unnie." Joy says to her when she thought out loud as to where Seulgi could be. "She probably slept in or something. I wouldn't be surprised if she did. You gave her a month's worth of laundry yesterday!" Joy laughs and it makes Wendy feel guilty so she knocks on Irene's door, seeking comfort.

 

"I don't know either. I texted her already but she hasn't replied yet." Irene said.

 

"You're on texting terms?" Wendy asks, suddenly annoyed. Why doesn't Seulgi text her? But then again, she doesn't have her number.

 

"Yeah, I mean, she's basically our employee and the managers gave me her number." Right, leader duties. 

 

However, Irene seems to be surprised at Wendy's reaction. 

 

"Why is it so important that she comes on time today? You're not thinking of overworking her today again, are you?" Irene's tone is kind of accusing.

 

Wendy pouts at her. Has she really been that mean to Seulgi? She probably has. But that doesn't make things clear to her. Seulgi finally knows who she is and she promised that they would talk today but where is she?

 

Irene's phone vibrates on her bedside table and they both race to check what the message is about.

 

"It's Seulgi..." Wendy mutters.

 

"She's sick and she can't come over." Irene reads from her phone. She looks up and throws Wendy a glare. "You shouldn't have made her do all that work yesterday."

 

"I-I gotta go. I'm going to check if she's okay." 

 

--

 

"I'm coming! I'm coming! Geez, there was no need to ring the bell that many times-" Sulli stops midsentence having just realized who is at Seulgi's front door. Her jaw drops to the floor in shock.

 

"Hi. Is Seulgi there?" Wendy asks. She holds a thermos in one hand and is practically standing on her toes, trying to look past Sulli, who compared to her is a giantess, to see if Seulgi is around. "Can I please come in?" She pushes past the girl, not waiting for an answer. She can't give a damn about anyone else right now. She has to see Seulgi.

 

Wendy steps in the living room and sees who she's looking for, bundled up in blankets and lying with her head on an unknown girl's lap. She swallows hard. 

 

"Oh!" The girl acknowledges her presence and Seulgi stirs from her sleep, sees Wendy and sits up.

 

"Seungwan?"

 

"S-Seulgi,"

 

"What are you doing here?" Her voice sounds weak, kind of raspy. Her complexion is pale and she can barely sit up. Wendy walks towards her, sits on the couch next to her.

 

"I brought some tea for you. I-I was worried when you didn't show up for work this morning and I'm even more worried when I found out that you were sick." Wendy places the thermos on the coffee table, side glancing Soojung. Seulgi notices.

 

"Oh, yeah. This is Soojung. She's my friend. And, Sulli is around here somewhere."

 

Wendy feels relieved upon hearing that she's just Seulgi's friend.

 

"She's at the door. Too starstruck to move." Soojung points at Sulli who is still frozen by the door, looking at Wendy with still agape. Wendy waves at her and she nearly faints. Soojung rolls her eyes at Sulli, gets up from the couch and pulls her to the kitchen, leaving Wendy and Seulgi in the living room.

 

"You were worried for me?" Seulgi says. Wendy pushes her on the couch to lay down again and wraps the blanket securely around her.

 

"Don't talk. Just sleep." Her eyebrows are knotting together. She feels bad because she knows that Irene is right. Seulgi is sick because of her, because she was too hard on her.

 

"If you're thinking that I'm sick because of over fatigue from work, then your wrong. None of this is your fault, Seungwan." Seulgi smiles weakly at her. 

 

"H-how did you know what I was thinking of?"

 

"We may have been apart for fifteen years but I know you, Seungwan." Seulgi yawns. "And it really isn't your fault. It was just too cold last night."

 

"And you still gave me your coat?!" Her voice rises and Soojung and Sulli peek at them from the kitchen. "Seulgi, that was stupid."

 

"No, it wasn't. If I didn't lend you my coat then you would be the one who's sick right now. I didn't want you to catch a cold." Wendy thinks it's pointless to stop the smile that's tugging at her lips so she doesn't.

 

"But... I still haven't forgotten how mean you were to me." Seulgi pouts at her and she has to resist the urge to grab the girl's face and do things to her.

 

"That's because I was mad at you for not recognizing me!" She counters.

 

"But you could have told me who you were." Seulgi sits up again, eyes boring into Wendy's.

 

"I didn't want to. I wanted to know if you haven't forgotten me." She lowers her voice, dropping her gaze to her lap.

 

"And I didn't forget you. I just wasn't able to recognize you. I mean, you've changed a lot. You're called Wendy and... you lost weight and... you have blonde hair for crying out loud." Seulgi says.

 

"You've changed too! You... you..." Wendy can't think of anything to say, anything that would not give away hints of how she finds Seulgi so attractive because, damn, puberty did her good.

 

"I'm sorry for not recognizing you, Seungwan." Seulgi says sleepily. She leans back down on the couch. 

 

"It doesn't matter now. I guess." Wendy replies. "You're here and I'm back is what's important."

 

"That's good to hear."

 

"Yeah. Now go to sleep."

 

"I will but you have to be here when I wake up, alright?" She yawns, grasps Wendy's hand weakly.

 

"Okay." Wendy tries not to pay attention to how soft and how warm Seulgi's hand is.

 

"You promise?"

 

"I promise." She says and Seulgi finally closes her eyes.

 

-------------------------

A/N: So, something interesting happened a few days ago. I was on twitter and I came across a retweet from an account called WTFAsianfanfics. The description of the account is "DM some of the weirdest stuff you've seen on AFF". I was curious so I checked it out and I was surprised to find a screencap of a part of Chapter 3 of OTPF posted there. So which one of you submitted it? Please don't get me wrong. I'm not mad or anything. I just find it funny. Also, I'm so damn curious. And, is that chapter really that weird? I thought it was funny. But then again, I'm weird to begin with. LOL. Please tell me who did it. I'll follow you on twitter, I promise! Hahaha. If anyone wants to follow me I'm @themicahdork. Sorry for the shameless plug. I've just been trying to find new friends to spazz with. (Joy on WGM. I'm crying)

Anyway, the last few chapters has mostly been fluff because I haven't really  got around to work on the humor stuff. Yeah. Thanks for reading! Comment and upvote or whatever. Hope you enjoy this chapter! - Bluekimchi