Selfless

Over The Picket Fence

Breakfast in the dorm has never been this strained and awkward, Yeri thinks. She might as well be chewing on rocks instead of the fluffy pancakes on her plate because she knows there's a problem but her unnies are pretending that there isn't. Forced smiles and voices that are way too sugary? There's certainly something. Irene and Wendy are fighting and they're fighting over a girl.

 

"Finish your food, Yeri. We don't want you to miss your bus." Wendy says, pats her head.

 

"She doesn't want to. These pancakes are salty." Irene mutters under her breath. Wendy hears her, sends a death glare her way. 

 

"At least I made her food. All you ever do for her is iron her uniform." Wendy replies coldly. It's Irene's turn to glare at her. Yeri wonders if they're still talking about her.

 

"Unnies," 

 

"Stay out of it, Yeri." Joy says, looking calm - the scary kind. She balls her hands into fists under the table, tries to keep her cool but deep inside feels like her heart is going to explode if they don't stop.

 

"Yah, you!" Irene stands abruptly, her palm colliding with the tabletop.

 

"What about me?" Wendy looks at Irene, taking her glare head on.

 

That's it. Joy's had enough of their squabbles. She was hoping they've settled it by now - the two have been at it for almost three days already - but they didn't. And she's not going to sit quietly anymore.

 

"Are you elementary students? Huh?" She stands up abruptly, the back of her knees hitting her chair and making it skid backwards. She ignores the pain and continues. "At least have the decency to not fight in front of the maknae! Not in front of Yerim."

 

At the mention of Yeri's name, both Irene and Wendy are brought back to reality. They both look embarrassed, blinks up at Joy who towers over them.

 

"I... sorry. Wendy's right. Finish your food, Yeri. Excuse me." Irene stammers. She takes her leave and goes to her bedroom, somehow making the atmosphere even more awkward than it already is.

 

Wendy becomes silent. She avoids Yeri's gaze and asks to be excused not long after, leaving Joy and Yeri in the dining room by themselves.

 

Joy watches Yeri carefully as she sits back down on her chair. Yeri looks right back at her with her forehead crinkled and her lips in a pout. She pushes aside her thoughts of how cute the maknae is because there are more important things at hand.

 

"Unnie, umma and appa are fighting." Yeri starts, her voice broken. "I don't think betting over them is a good idea. We should-"

 

"No!" They can't call the bets off. Joy's life depends on it. "They're old enough to know how to solve their own problems. They'll come through, eventually." Joy replies, trying to sound convincing.

 

"But... what if... what if it gets so bad that one of them decides to leave the group? I don't want that!" Tears start to fall down Yeri's face and Joy runs to her, wraps her arms around her to console her.

 

"Shhh. It's going to be okay. That won't happen. Not if I can do something about it." Joy caresses her hair, ignores the sudden rise in her heart rate. She can't be like this. Yerim needs her now.

 

"Promise me you will." Yeri wipes her tears. Joy swears she's never had the urge to protect anyone this strongly so when she answers, it's sincere and it's everything Yeri can hope for.

 

"I promise."

 

--

 

The doors of the two upstairs bedrooms open at the same time. Its occupants' peeking through the gaps and then retreating inside upon seeing each other. 

 

Wendy leans against her closed bedroom door, thinks hard on what she should do. She knows she can't keep on avoiding Irene too. Avoiding one person is tiring enough for her already. She can't avoid two. And besides, Irene is her leader, her unnie. She can't be harboring feelings of hatred for her. Her hand is on the knob when a knock comes upon the other side.

 

"Wendy, can we talk?" She freezes, recognizing the soft voice from the other side of the door. "It's Joohyun."

 

She pulls the door open, her eyebrows in one fine line and in some sort of frown, torn between biting her head off  and taking all the blame for herself but Irene is looking at her with sorry eyes and she knows she can't stay mad at her.

 

"Can I come in?" Irene asks. Wendy nods, steps back to let her pass. 

 

Irene sits on Wendy's bed and starts twiddling with her thumbs almost instantly, a sign that she's nervous. Wendy clears and the older girl looks up at her.

 

"I'm sorry for what I said this morning. And for being a to you these past few days." She says.

 

Wendy doesn't say anything, just listens.

 

"You know, ever since I found out that you and Seulgi were childhood friends, I felt threatened. Because... you two have history and... you know, I really like Seulgi. I got all competitive seeing you two together. I'm sorry." Wendy keeps silent so Irene continues.

 

"I just don't want us to fight anymore. It's my responsibility to take care of you but I'm doing the exact opposite." And Wendy knows she's being sincere. She wonders if she can be as sincere as her.

 

"You're right, unnie. We shouldn't be fighting. I'm sorry too." She finally says. She's staring hard at the ground and she has her fists clenched. She takes a deep breath, decision made.

 

"I know you like her too. I'm sorry but I don't think I can back down-"

 

"I know." Wendy pauses, gathers all her courage. "That's why I want to tell you not to worry because I'm going to take care of my feelings."

 

"What?" Irene looks at her, surprised.

 

"I'm backing off. I can see that you and Seulgi are heading somewhere good. I'm not going to ruin that for you, unnie." Wendy musters up a smile.

 

"Wendy-" Irene wants to stop her now, doesn't want to hear more because it's tearing her apart to see Wendy like that.

 

"I've been thinking about this, unnie. You've sacrificed a lot for the group already - for me, for Sooyoung, for Yerim. I think it's time for you to get what you want." 

 

It's true and they both know it. The whole time Wendy has known Irene, she's never heard her complain not even once, never seen her do something for herself. She has always been so selfless, always putting others before her self. She's never wanted anything for herself, no one else other than Seulgi. Wendy can at least give her that.  

 

"Seungwan-ah," Irene stands up, walks toward Wendy who only shakes her head at her, gives her an assuring smile.

 

"You don't have to worry about me, unnie. Just be happy with Seulgi. I mean, it might take some time before I can truly say that I'm happy for the two of you but... I will do my best. Congratulations, unnie." Her voice is sure. Irene can tell that she's thought about this a lot.

 

Wendy's honesty and selflessness is cutting her into pieces. This isn't what she wants. She doesn't want Wendy yielding and raising the white flag. She doesn't want Wendy hurting while she's off being happy. But what can they do in a situation where only one of them can win?

 

She closes the gap between them and wraps her arms around Wendy, holds her tight because she doesn't know what else to do. Wendy is so brave and so kind. Something she wants to be.

 

"I'm being serious, unnie." She hears her say. 

 

"Is there really nothing I can do to change your mind? Maybe we can still compete without it being too personal?" She offers. Wendy laughs and it's easier to breathe.

 

"No, unnie. You got to her first. I respect that. There isn't anything you can do." Wendy replies and this time when she smiles, it reaches her eyes and Irene is convinced.

 

The door opens with a bang and Joy marches in, holding a thick, ten feet long rope. She looks at her two unnies hugging, smiles at the sight. She waits for them to break apart before talking.

 

"You guys made up?" She says. "That's good. I won't need this now." She gestures to the rope she's holding, shrugs, and then exits.

 

"Uh, what was she going to do with that rope?" 

 

"It's better if we don't know, unnie. Trust me."

 

--

 

"I'm home!" Seulgi announces as she kicks her shoes off at the threshold. 

 

She walks to the living room and wonders why it's eerily quiet. She knows that both Sulli and Soojung are around - their shoes were at the rack and so was her mother's.

 

So why was it quiet?

 

"Surprise!" Seulgi flinches as all three of them jump up from behind the sofa.

 

"What do you think?" Her mom proudly shows her her leg, no longer in the cast.

 

"They took it off?!" She nearly screams.

 

"Yeah, the doctors say it's a miracle that my leg healed so fast! I told them that it's the power of determination!" Her mom pumps her fist in the air.

 

 "Now I can go back to work. You don't have to clean those girls' house anymore." She smiles at Seulgi, frowns when she sees that her daughter isn't happy.

 

"For someone complaining about them nonstop for two weeks, you sure aren't happy with this news." She places her hands on her hips, raises an eyebrow at Seulgi.

 

"Ah, auntie, that's because Seulgi is basically dating one of those girls." Sulli says, a mischievous look in her eyes.

 

"Y-yah!" Seulgi warns. Her mother doesn't know a thing. How dare she out her like that?

 

"Dating one of those girls?" Seulgi closes her eyes, prays for salvation because her mom is probably going to kick her out of the house now for her dating preference. "I thought you and Soojung were dating."

 

"Auntie!"

 

"Umma!" Seulgi's relieved. Her mom is so full of surprises. She laughs it off before replying. "No, we're not dating. Besides, Soojung has a thing for Sulli here." She pats Sulli on the back, watches as Soojung blushes when Sulli winks at her.

 

"That was a 4th grade crush! I do not have a thing for Jinri. Yah, don't look at me like that." Soojung glares at Sulli and she drops the act.

 

"Ah, you wound me." Sulli shakes her head, pretends to be hurt. She sits down on the couch and turns the television on. Soojung  laughs at her, hits her with a throw pillow.

 

"But are you really going back to work? Shouldn't you be resting? What if you hurt your leg again?" Seulgi asks.

 

"Fine. You can keep on working. On one condition!" She smirks.  Seulgi swallows. "I'd like to meet my daughter's girlfriend."

 

Soojung and Sulli laugh darkly at the blank expression on Seulgi's face.

 

"But mom, we're not really 'girlfriends' yet. We just went on our second date." Seulgi says. 

 

"Ah, is that so? Then make it official." Her mom says as if that settles the matter.

 

------------------------

A/N: I really hate my self for writing this. Ugh. Wendy... I'm sorry TT.TT

Anyway, I feel like I've dragged this on long enough so I'm letting you all know that the last chapter will be chapter 22 - which is still a long way from where we are now.  OTL Sorry for the chaotic train ride. I might update more often 'cause I wanna finish this before the end of the month. So, yeah, thanks for staying with me for a really long time. I love you guys! Thanks so much! :)

P.S. I'm working on a new fic! Hint: it's RVxApinkxSoshi and more. I'll give you more details soon. 

- Bluekimchi