Girl Next Door

Over The Picket Fence

"What the did just happen?" Irene turns on the maknaes as Wendy steps away from the window.

                                          

"That girl was flashing our Yerim! Our precious Yerim!" Joy starts screaming, pacing back and forth in the room, muttering under her breath. "The girl next door is a ert! We were too late to protect our Yerim."

 

"What are you talking about, Sooyoung? They're both girls." Irene says. "And will you stop moving so much? You're making me dizzy!"Joy ignores the leader and continues her pacing.

 

Wendy sighs and moves close to the youngest, draping an arm over her shoulder. Yeri still seems to be a bit shocked but she looks up to Wendy's warm smile anyway.

 

"Yeri-yah, can you tell us what happened?" She says, her voice gentle.

 

"Well, I... I walked in this room to see if I would like it better than the other room when..." The maknae's face gets redder and redder with each word she says.

 

"Go on." Irene coaxes her, trying to hide the fact that she finds Yeri very funny and very cute right now.

 

"She... I see her walk in her room. Then out of nowhere she takes her shirt off." She blurts out.

 

"See? She was totally flashing the maknae!" Joy speaks up again.

 

"No, unnie. I don't think she was. She looked surprised to see me looking. I mean, it's not that I wanted to look! She was just there and I was too surprised to look away." Yeri explains. Irene and Wendy hold back their laughter at the sight of the maknae being all innocent and flustered.

 

"Is that what happened?" Irene asks, biting back her smile. Yeri nods at her. "Okay. Just stay away from this room for the time being. Room with Joy until we can settle the matter with the next door neighbor." Irene pats Yeri's head and the younger girl just smiles at her.

 

Joy still looks upset as she eyes the three other girls.

 

"Oh, let it go, Sooyoung. Irene unnie said she will take care of it." Wendy walks toward the tallest and tries to put an arm around her to console her but ends up patting her on the shoulder instead because she was too tall for her to reach.

 

"Hmph. I wouldn't be so trusting if I were you. I'd still keep an eye out for her." Joy crosses her arms over her chest and marches out of the room. She yells for Yeri to follow her once she's in the living room.

 

"Thanks, unnies. I better go after Sooyoung unnie." Yeri runs after Joy, leaving the two older ones.

 

"Do you think the girl was flashing her?" Wendy asks Irene. Irene chuckles and shakes her head.

 

"No, I think Yerim just happened to walk in on the girl dressing or something. She probably doesn't know that we've moved in today." Irene replies. "I'll try to talk to her tomorrow, you know, if I don't get too shy."

 

"Is this your way of asking me to come talk to her instead?" Wendy raises an eyebrow at her. Irene just shrugs but smiles at her still.

 

"Maybe. Maybe not." She says in a sing-song voice.

 

--

 

Seulgi fails to realize the gravity of what had happened until the next day when she receives a call from her mom telling her to drop by the house next door to get acquainted with their new tenants.

 

"What do you mean drop by and give them some tea? Mom, I don' want to!"

 

"Just give them the tea your dad got from Japan. Macha or whatever. And don't give me that tone, Kang Seulgi. Do what I tell you to. If you don't want to then you should go back to the university so I won't have to worry about what to do with you." Her mom's voice was stern, the loving kind.

 

"That's not fair, Mom." Seulgi whines, flailing her arms around even though her mom couldn't see her.

 

"What isn't fair? You're just going to drop by, introduce yourself, and leave the tea there. That's not so hard. And from what I've heard, they're all girls so it shouldn't be awkward for you."

 

How ironic.

 

She doesn't say anything, a thousand possibilities of meeting the neighbors floating in and out of her brain, somehow all of it ending up with her being embarrassed, leaving her no choice but to flee the country and change her name. She's just thinking of writing her goodbye note to her mom when her mom starts talking again.

 

"Aish. Stop being a brat and just do it, Kang Seulgi!" The line is cut and Seulgi has to pull the phone away from her ears because the said ears are ringing.

 

It takes her three hours to muster the courage to finally do what was asked of her. She grabs a canister of tea leaves from the kitchen cupboard, marches to the door, pulls it open and is met with a pretty pair of eyes smiling at her. Seulgi is so surprised she slams the door in the girl's face.

 

"W-wait!" She hears the girl say from the other side. Slowly, and very much reluctantly, she opens the door again to face the stranger. It was the blonde one who drew the curtains yesterday.

 

"Oh, good." The girl breathes in a sigh of relief to see Seulgi. "Hi, I'm one of the new tenants. My name is Wendy and you are?" Seulgi doesn't know what to say at first because one, yesterday's incident is still fresh on her mind, and two, she isn't expecting the neighbors to make the first move.

 

"May I know your name?" Wendy asks again.

 

"Uh, I'm Kang Seulgi." Seulgi finally says.

 

"Oh! N-nice to meet you, Seulgi." Seulgi doesn't miss the way the girl suddenly becomes shy and awkward and she immediately thinks that it's because of yesterday.

 

"I, uh, came by to introduce myself and um... to apologize for what happened yesterday."

 

Seulgi blushes deep crimson. She drops her gaze to the floor, too embarrassed to look at the girl in the eye.

 

"We're sorry for what happened. I mean-"

 

"I-I should be the one apologizing. It was careless of me to leave my curtains drawn while I was dressing. I don't know how to apologize enough-"

 

"Let's just put it all behind us, eh?" Wendy offers her a smile and Seulgi finally looks up.

 

"You look a little too young to be our landlady." Wendy says after a very long pause.

 

"Oh, I'm not the landlady. The landlady is my mother but she's not here so..." Seulgi awkwardly shuffles her feet and waves the canister she is holding to Wendy.

 

"Is that for me?"

 

"Yeah, my mom asked me to give it to you. I was actually on my way to your house." She trails off.

 

"Oh, really? Uh, thanks." Wendy takes the canister and hugs it, not knowing what to do or say. "Do you know who I am?" She finally asks after another awkward pause, hoping to shed some light into the situation whom only she is aware of.

 

Seulgi looks taken aback at the question but even more so when she sees the hopeful look in the girl's eyes and it's scaring her.

 

"S-see you around!" Seulgi backs away inside the house and closes the door again, not giving Wendy a chance to even say goodbye.

 

--

 

"Should we have chicken tonight?" Irene asks the two girls who were horsing around the living room, as she peeks at them from the staircase landing.

 

"Yes!!!" Both exclaim, Joy's voice a little bit louder and more enthusiastic than Yeri's.

 

"Okay. I'll order and you guys set the table."

 

"Will you be paying as well?" Yeri asks, grinning cheekily up at the leader. Joy eggs her on by cheering on the side.

 

Irene gives her a deadpan look before replying.

 

"No. Ask Wendy if she's willing to pay for your dinner, you little rascals."

 

"But why not?" Yeri whines, aegyo saturating her tone.

 

"Because I paid for last night's dinner even though I didn't get to eat much of it thanks to you devils." Irene replies, walking down the stairs so she can give the maknae a noogie.

 

Yeri bolts up from the couch and starts running for the door but before she can get there, Wendy marches in, face red and eyes b with tears. Joy, who was cheering Irene on this time, shuts up. Yeri stops in her tracks and Irene looks at Wendy, stares at her as she runs past them and up the stairs. They all think they heard a sob before the door to Wendy's bedroom slams shut.

 

A/N: Hi guys! So first of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their support to this fic. Thank you all, really, for reading and commenting (Shout out to the following: IrSeWeJoYe, Swag, Bellatuts, shyluv87, JangSeulBear, taeny_lover, ExoxoxoGG, Lilyloves_gg, IKpOpluv, kty_ktr, pikachuthunders97, sunnystawr, gorjessfanytastic9, patotie, krystaalllllll, green_roon, and musicxweirdo) and upvoting (Thank you naeunbiased, musicxweirdo, taeny_lover, IrSeWeJoYe, gorjessfanytastic9, and red_head). I don't know what I would do without you guys :) And so, I just couldn't resist updating tonight even though I have a final exam tomorrow. LOL. Well, I do hope you enjoy this update despite it being short. I'll update again once finals are over. Also, I am aware that my pacing is kind of slow but I'll be picking it up in the next couple of chapters so stay tuned. Thanks again, everybody! :)  

P.S. Almost everyone is rooting for Seulrene, huh? I'll try not to break your hearts. I'd like to hear more from you. Comment if you can. :)

- Bluekimchi