Kiss And (Can't) Tell

Over The Picket Fence

Wendy lied. She never called Seulgi to set their date. She hasn't even talked to her since that night and that's almost a week ago. Seulgi hates it because this isn't how she thought their reunion would be. Strategic avoidance and a lot of fighting don't even make the list of things she promised to do if she were to meet Seungwan again.

 

She thinks she should confront her soon because she can't go on another date with Irene while she's feeling guilty about Wendy. It's just not fair to the older girl. It's not fair to anyone.

 

One morning, the opportunity finally came for her to talk to Wendy. Seulgi's watering her mom's dying lilies while Wendy is walking around their own yard for some reason, probably exercising. Seulgi's lets her playful side get the best of her as she turns the water off, hops over the picket fence separating their yard from Wendy's, and pulls the hose along with her. She walks up to Wendy who has her back on her and aims the hose at her.

 

"Freeze! Put your hands in the air!"  Seulgi says it like how she hears it from the police movies. She suppresses her laughter when Wendy's shoulders rise in surprise. "Turn around slowly! Do it now!"

 

Wendy does as she's told but glares at Seulgi as she puts her hands up.

 

"What do you want?" She scowls at her.

 

"I've some questions for you, Wandookung, and you're going to give me answers. Otherwise, it's bath time for you." She almost cackles at how evil she sounds.

 

"Are you crazy? It's below zero today!" Wendy protests.

 

"That's exactly why you're gonna give me answers." Seulgi jabs the hose end at her threateningly. "First question, why didn't you call me?"

 

Wendy looks away. Seulgi grits her teeth in annoyance. She's being stubborn.

 

"Okay. Fine. Second question, are you avoiding me? Why?"

 

"That's two questions already! That covers the second and the third-"

 

Seulgi suddenly twists the hose end and Wendy screams really loud as cold water sprays everywhere, drenching her. She attempts to escape but Seulgi tails her. And so they're running around in circles on the yard,  Seulgi chasing Wendy with that hose while she screams at the top of her lungs. 

 

Her screams turn to laughter and pretty soon, Seulgi is laughing with her. With her guard down, Wendy takes the chance to snatch the hose from her and the tables have turned. Seulgi is now at Wendy's mercy.

 

"Yah! Son Seungwan! You stop now!" Seulgi warns. She's stopped running and is using her hands to shield her face from the water. 

 

Wendy only sticks her tongue out at her. Seulgi shakes her head once and runs forward blindly, catches Wendy by the waist, and tackles her to the ground. The hose is pathetically discarded to the side, whizzing out water from its mouth liking a slithering snake.

 

There's a grunt from Wendy that is quickly replaced with giggles. Seulgi starts giggling too. She sits up on Wendy's thighs, hands holding Wendy by her wrists so she can't escape. She lets go for a second to free her hand so she can brush Wendy's wet hair away from her face. 

 

Wendy looks into her eyes and she takes a deep breath, prepares herself.

 

"Now answer my questions." Seulgi says.

 

"You really want to know?"

 

"I'm all drenched at 9 in the morning on a below zero day. Of course I do!"

 

"Fine!"

 

"Fine!" Seulgi copies Wendy, laughs at her own silliness.

 

"I like you, you idiot!" 

 

The smile slides off her face and she's left staring at Wendy. 

 

"I like you and you're so damn oblivious. I hate you for not being sensitive to my feelings. And I hate you for dating Irene unnie instead of dating me. I hate you!" 

 

Seulgi's hold on her weakens and she's able to switch their positions, with her on top. She bites her lips, thinks for a few seconds before she grabs Seulgi by the collar, pulls her to sit up, pulls her all the way until their faces meet, until their lips meet.

 

--

 

Her plan has backfired and she knows it, knows as Wendy runs out of the room as soon she she steps in. She has somehow managed to push the girl yet further away from her.

 

Good job, Seulgi. Good job.

 

She sighs, starts picking up the dirty clothes on the floor and dumps it in the basket she's holding. She's by the kitchen when Joy calls her, hands her a jar of amber-colored liquid.

 

"It's honey." Joy says, seeing the dumb look on Seulgi's face.

 

"Why are you giving it to me?" Seulgi asks.

 

"I thought bears are supposed to like honey?" She sasses. "Eat it. It's good for you. We don't want you getting sick again now, do we?"

 

"I, uh, thanks." Seulgi smiles at her.

 

"Don't mention it. And really, don't." She deadpans. "Nice work today. With the hose and all." Joy finishes coolly.

 

"Y-you saw that?" Seulgi places the jar on the table in fear of dropping it because her hands are shaking too much.

 

"I saw everything. We all did." Joy winks at her, pats her on the back and leaves.

 

"," 

 

Seulgi doesn't even mind if her mom hears her cursing now. She can come over for all she cares and bury her alive because she just wants to die now. How can she single-handedly make this mess even messier than it already is? Wait, she didn't do it on her own. Seungwan's at fault too. For kissing her.

 

Seungwan kissed her. Seungwan ing kissed her. Seungwan likes her, hates her or both. But she likes Irene. She thinks she likes Irene. And Irene saw Seungwan kiss her, according to Joy. And she didn't do anything about it. They have a date tomorrow and she's not going because she's going to kill herself tonight. Yes, that's the only solution to her problem.

 

But as soon as she finds the crazy solution to her problem, reality catches up with her.

 

"Seulgi?" Irene walks in the kitchen and she jumps back at the sight of her. "Oh, did I scare you? Sorry." She's smiling. Seulgi's not sure if that's a good sign.

 

"We're still on for tomorrow, right?" Irene continues.

 

"O-of course! I mean, if you want to." Seulgi's very nervous now.

 

"Why would I not want to?" Irene asks. Seulgi wonders if she's playing dumb.

 

"You're not mad?"  She dares to ask.

 

"I'm mad. But not at you." She replies quickly, still smiling.

 

"It's not her fault!" Seulgi doesn't want her mad at her and most certainly doesn't want her mad at Wendy.

 

"It's not yours either." Irene shrugs. "I'm going to admit that I'm a bit jealous." She walks around the table, stops in front of Seulgi.

 

"But just because she kissed you doesn't mean we'll stop seeing each other, right?" 

 

"Of course not!"

 

She hooks her arms around Seulgi's neck so fast Seulgi wasn't able to react until she's pulled down down for a kiss. 

 

Seulgi's mind has gone completely blank, wonders why Irene is kissing her at first. She blinks, not knowing what to do, places her hand on the small of Irene's back when she finds the courage to return the kiss. Her lips tug at Irene's, trying to match the girl's intensity because she can taste her jealousy through the kiss and she doesn't want her to be jealous, doesn't want her to feel like she's not enough. She hopes she gets her point across and she thinks she does because Irene's hold on her becomes relaxed.

 

Irene pulls away, blushes when she steps back. She catches her breath before speaking.

 

"Okay. I just had to make that clear. See you, Seulgi."

 

Seulgi has no idea what just happened. However, it doesn't take long for her to find out because she sees Irene ram her shoulder onto Wendy as she passed by her. And She doesn't need to ask. She's sure Wendy's seen it all, like how Irene had seen her and Wendy kiss this morning.

 

---------------------

A/N: I didn't realize how short this was until I put it up here. Sorry. :( I'll just give the next update sooner to make it up to you guys.

Thanks for reading! And thanks for the upvotes, ddeulgi (I really like your writing. I'm a big fan of yours. Ack. TT), zombiejuhyun, Tarukun, and MEAsquared! 

I hope you liked this update. I had so much fun writing this. Thanks again! :)

- Bluekimchi