Dense

Over The Picket Fence

Seulgi draws the curtain by half an inch and peeks at the house next door through the gap. Seeing nothing, she backs away from the window and sits on the bed.

 

"So?" Her friend asks.

 

"Well, it's true! I think they're either psychos or from the Italian mob!" Seulgi exclaims.

 

"Your next door neighbors?"

 

"Yes, Soojung. How many times do I have to tell you? They don't want anyone to know that they're staying here, they're using English names, and I saw an amputated foot in their trash." Seulgi says as if that's enough evidence. Soojung rolls her eyes at her.

 

"You've gone crazy, Seulgi." Soojung sighs and lies down on Seulgi's bed. Seulgi pouts at her, feeling betrayed that she doesn't believe her. No matter. She's going to prove that she's right somehow.

 

"Did you bring what I asked for?" She asks, lying down next to her friend.

 

"Nope."

 

"Why?" Seulgi whines.

 

"Because I don't have one of those. Sulli has one, however." Soojung replies.

 

"Then ask her to bring it over."

 

"Way ahead of you." Soojung says in a confident voice. The doorbell rings as soon as Soojung finishes and Seulgi runs to open the door. She returns with Sulli in tow and makes her sit on the bed next to Soojung.

 

"Where is it?" Seulgi asks, almost demanding.

 

"Ooh, impatient, aren't we? What do you need this for anyway?" Sulli asks, handing Seulgi a pair of pink binoculars.

 

"She's spying on her neighbors." Soojung answers for her, seeing how busy she is, fiddling with the binoculars.

 

"Ooh, are they hot neighbors?" Sulli asks, a hint of playfulness just above the surface.

 

"I actually don't know. I haven't seen them. Seul just keeps on saying that they're probably psychotic mobsters or something of the sort." Soojung deadpans. Intrigued, Sulli walks toward the window and grabs the binoculars from Seulgi.

 

"H-hey!" Seulgi protests.

 

"Let me have a peek first, you little voyeur." Sulli mutters. She scans the area and becomes silent for a while, waiting for the neighbors to come into view and when they do, she gasps so loud and swears so hard that both of her friends jump up.

 

"Holy , Seulgi! These people are not mobsters or psychos. They're Red Velvet!" Sulli exclaims. Soojung jumps off the bed and takes the binoculars from Sulli.

 

"My god, they are. Seulgi, you little . You're neighbors with Red Velvet." She confirms. And Seulgi just stares back at them, lost.

 

"Red what? Can you say that slower?"

 

Sulli and Soojung groan at the same time.

 

--

 

"How can you not know Red Velvet?" Sulli's mouth hangs open, two hours later, still not done looking through the binoculars, clearly envious of her friend

 

"Are they really that famous? I don't watch television and I don't listen to mainstream pop music." Seulgi says, busy with the profiles of Red Velvet that Soojung is showing her.

 

"But even Soojung knows them and she's the real hipster here." Sulli points out.

 

"Seulgi's hopeless." Soojung says. "She knows nothing."

 

"Hey!" Seulgi says, offended, giving Soojung a pained look but she only sticks her tongue out at her.

 

"Life is so not fair. Why can't they move in next door to me instead? I'm a fan of theirs." Sulli puts the binoculars down, rubs her tired eyes.

 

"That's precisely the reason why they didn't." Soojung has to duck to avoid the pillow thrown at her direction. She laughs. "I'm curious to know what Seulgi would do now that she knows who they are."

 

"That's something I don't want to stick around for because knowing her, she'll be embarrasing as hell." Sulli comments. Seulgi blushes and Soojung sees her because she was watching her carefully.

 

"Aha! You already did something embarrasing, didn't you?" Soojung exclaims, moving closer to her. Seulgi backs away, spouting out whatever was on her mind in her defense.

 

"No. I. Yeri. . What? No! I did not mean it to happen." She feels small, wanting nothing more than to sink to the ground.

 

"You've seen Yeri ? You ert!"

 

"No, she's seen me half while I was undressing." Seulgi finally says, feeling defeated from the looks her friends were giving her.

 

"See? I'm right."

 

"Oh, Seulgi." Soojung shakes her head and clucks her tongue but starts to laugh when Seulgi pouts at her. "What are we going to do about you?"

 

--

 

Wendy exhales loudly through her nose while she watches Seulgi move to and fro their living room, cleaning up the mess that Joy and Yeri left behind. The former is currently busy with schedules and the latter is in school.

 

Dread settles in her stomach and she can't take it anymore. She has to confront Seulgi, has to know why she's behaving the way she is - ignoring and avoiding her, never allowing herself to be in the same room with her.  She marches over to Seulgi, standing in front of her so that she has no choice but to acknowledge her presence.

 

"C-can I help you?" Seulgi asks.

 

"Do you really have no idea who I am?" Wendy starts, hands on her hip so that despite her being vertically challenged, she actually looks a bit intimidating.

 

"Red Velvet's Wendy?"

 

Wendy shakes her head, glaring at Seulgi head on.

 

"Try again." Wendy says through gritted teeth.

 

"Red Velvet's Refreshing Smile, Wendy?"

 

Wendy stomps her foot, hands still on her hips as she puffs her cheeks out in frustration. Seulgi nearly jumps back in surprise because she swears she's seen that expression before, seen it a hundred times from someone else and the resemblance is so striking that it's almost haunting. She swallows the lump in and takes a step back.

 

"You're kind of dense, huh?" Seulgi thinks she should feel offended but she's too scared to say anything because for some reason, she feels like she should know who Wendy is but she doesn't.

 

"Yeah, I guess I am." She drops her gaze to the floor, defeated. Something breaks inside Wendy at the sight of Seulgi looking so broken. She takes a step back, an apology at the tip of her tongue but Irene makes an appearance and she can't bring herself to say it.

 

"Hey guys! What's up?" Irene smiles but frowns upon seeing the two awkwardly move away from each other.

 

-------------------------------------

 A/N: Yay! We're at 239 subscribers already. Thank you so much for the support, everyone! Thank you to fxsonegirl03, truebear, and idoherlaundry for the upvote! And I'm sorry that I don't get to reply to your comments but I really appreaciate and enjoy reading them. So please comment. :) Thanks for reading! - Bluekimchi