I Choose You

Over The Picket Fence

 

Catatonic stares out of her bedroom window with her mind flying off to elsewhere is what keeps Irene busy today. Time. What an abstract concept. It's all we ever really have but even so, we never have enough of it.

 

She said she'll give Seulgi some time to think. But why does she feel like she's the one who needs time now? It's not about her feelings wavering or whatever. She's sure about Seulgi. She likes her in the way that she has never liked anyone else.

 

But she knows that Wendy feels the same for Seulgi. And Seulgi, she didn't want to admit it but, feels something for Wendy too. Maybe more than she will ever feel for her. 

 

Irene sighs as she moves away from the window and settles on her bed instead. She closes her eyes and everything replays in her head like a broken record. Seulgi and Wendy holding each other as they stood by the swings. Crying. Weeping.  

 

Odd as it may seem, all she ever felt when she saw them meeting secretly was shame. She's ashamed of herself, of how selfish she had been while Wendy was doing the exact opposite. She wasn't mad about seeing them together. Sure, it hurt to see the girl she likes holding someone else like that, but seeing how much their current situation has put Seulgi in pain, all she could ever reflect on is her actions. She shouldn't have insisted on what she wanted like that. 

 

She let Wendy get hurt. She let Seulgi get hurt. She stood in the way of their happiness. She'd be lying to herself if she says she hadn't seen it coming, Wendy and Seulgi's like for each other. She just thought that there could have been a chance if she tried hard but trying hard has thrown their lives in complete chaos.

 

Seulgi and Wendy deserve each other even if it hurts her. They do. They really do. Two people who have been so selfless and only thought of not hurting her even if they inflict pain on themselves upon doing so.

 

Irene sighs again. It's clear as a crystal. This time, it's her turn to be selfless. As if on cue, her phone vibrates on the table top, Seulgi's name flashing on the screen. She picks it up and takes the call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Unnie, I'd like to give you my answer now. Can we meet at the playground in an hour?"

 

The timing couldn't be more perfect.

 

"Okay. I've something to say to you too."

 

--

 

Deep breaths. Okay, this is it.

 

Irene nearly breaks down Wendy's door when she comes in. The said girl is sitting on her bed with a book in her hand.

 

"Can I help you?" She asks, looking surprised.

 

"Yeah. You're coming with me." Irene says, out of breath. She grabs Wendy by the hand and pulls her out the door.

 

"U-unnie! What's going on?" Wendy says. "Am I being kidnapped?"

 

"Something of the sort." Irene laughs.

 

"Aren't you supposed to meet Seulgi? Or is this the part where you tell me that you're in love with me?" Wendy jokes. Irene laughs again.

 

"Something of the sort." She says again.

 

"Unnie!" Wendy looks at froming an O and her eyes wide as saucers.

 

"I'm kidding. Just follow me." Irene smiles at her, squeezes her hand.

 

--

 

When Seulgi arrives at the playground, Irene is already there and she looks like she's been waiting for some time. She's smiling at her as she approaches her and it's eating at her heart. Can she do this? Can she be painfully honest with her choice? She swallows down her guilt and prepares herself to speak.

 

"Seulgi, before you say anything... will you let me speak first?" She looks a bit surprised but she nods to let Irene continue.

 

"I've been doing some thinking too and... I take it back. Don't go steady with me." Irene says, that smile never leaving her face. 

 

"What?" Seulgi asks just to check if she heard her right.

 

"I like you. A lot. But something doesn't feel right." She pauses, gathers the courage to keep on going. "I'll just get straight to the point, alright?" She laughs nervously.

 

Seulgi swallows again. Irene knows more than she lets on and she doesn't know how she should feel about it.

 

"I'm breaking up with you or whatever. You're supposed to be with Wendy." Irene finally says. "I knew that but I insisted on my own way because I really like you. I've never tried so hard for anyone but you." Irene clears , looks around the playground for a moment, and she sees Seulgi and Wendy by the swing set, crying again like that night. It's this memory that convinces her that she's doing the right thing.

 

Seulgi, however, misreads the situation and looks down on her feet, too ashamed to look up.

 

"You're going to choose her. I'm right, aren't I?" Irene gives her a smile, warm and genuine which hurts more than if she slapped her across the face.

 

"Hey, it's okay! I'm not saying these things to make you feel guilty." She tilts Seulgi's face with her finger.

 

"Unnie, I'm sorry." Seulgi looks back at her, really feeling sorry.

 

"Don't say sorry. In fact, I'd like to thank you. You made me really brave, Seulgi. I was happy getting to know you and spending time with you. You made me feel important and you made my heart race. I'm really thankful. Thank you, Seulgi." She closes the gap between them and wraps her arms around her.

 

"I'm still sorry though." Seulgi mutters, frowns.

 

"Don't be. It's enough for me to know that I made your heart flutter too." Irene touches her face and pulls at the corners of to make her smile.

 

"If she ever hurts you... come to me and I'll take it all back. I'll take you back." Irene says, looking very serious now. "For now..."

 

"Friends?" Seulgi asks, reluctantly.

 

"Friends sounds good." Irene laughs a little and then takes a step back. 

 

There's a beeping sound from her phone and she silences it.

 

"That's my cue. I gotta take my exit. Your scene, however, isn't over yet so just stay here." She turns on her heel and waves goodbye to Seulgi.

 

Seulgi wants to ask what she meant by that but Irene has already gone, climbed into their van. She watches the said vehicle for a bit, stiffens up when another girl gets off. 

 

It doesn't take a genius to know that this whole thing has been planned by the older girl. Her heartaches for Irene because she doesn't deserve any of this. She doesn't deserve to be caught up in her foolishness and indecisiveness but she's grateful to her, really grateful. 

 

Now, everything feels like a movie scene. It's as if Wendy is walking towards her in slow motion and some love song plays in the background even though she knows she's a jerk and she's not supposed to get a happy ending or whatever.

 

"Hi, Seulgi." 

 

Is all Wendy could say before Seulgi pulls her in, hugs her really tight and captures her face in both hands so that she has no choice but to look her in the eye.

 

"I choose you, Wandookung. I choose you." She whispers, feels like her heart would explode, feels like she's dreaming.

 

"You're stupid. And slow." Wendy scrunches her nose at her, frowns a little.

 

"I know." Seulgi replies, squishes her cheeks with her hands and giggles at how cute she looks.

 

"And I'm in love with you." Her face takes on a softer look and Seulgi smiles, eyes forming crescents.

 

"I'm in love with you too, Seungwan. I'm sorry it took so long for me to realize that." 

 

--

 

Irene looks happy and even sounds happy when she walks in the door. She immediately pounces on Joy and Yeri who are playing with the videogame console in the living room. Out of curiosity, Yeri pauses their game while Joy complains on the side.

 

"How did it go?" Yeri asks, very cheerful.

 

"It went really well. I thought we would cry and scream at each other like in the dramas but we didn't. It was surprisingly light and peaceful."

 

"Why would you cry and scream at each other? That sounds more like a breakup if you do." Joy comments. Yeri's eyes grow wide in shock.

 

"Yeah. It was a breakup. I broke up with Seulgi." Irene says, leans back comfortably on the couch as Joy and Yeri react somewhat violently.

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"It's a really long story but I think Seulgi and Wendy really do deserve each other." 

 

"You can't do this to me!"

 

"What? You sound like you're the one who went through a breakup." Irene says. Joy starts laughing.

 

"Just pay me back whenever you can, Yerim. My terms are quite simple." Joy smirks at her.

 

"Terms?"

 

"I'll let you know soon."

 

 Irene looks at her two dongsaengs, lost.

 

"What are you two talking about now?"

 

"Nothing." Joy replies in a singsong voice, presses the button to resume the game.

 

"Nah, I'm just kidding. Forget about it. Just... do whatever you want to do. Eat chicken with your crush or something." Joy looks hard at the screen, feels her heart pick up pace with every passing second.

 

"You won't object? You won't say I'm too young?" Yeri's voice is high. She sounds genuinely surprised, the good kind.

 

"It'll take some time to get used to but... yeah, go ahead, Yerim." She answers. Irene let go. Wendy let go. And they're both happy about it. Maybe she should too.

 

"That sounds like it's more for my favor." Yeri's forgotten all about the game, letting Joy win.

 

"It is. My terms are simple. I want you to be happy." Joy smiles, putting down her controller. 

 

For a moment, Yeri waits for Joy to say something more, anything but what she gets is a long and meaningful stare, no words. A smile plays on her lips.

 

"Cheesy." Irene comments.

 

They both blush, having forgotten that the oldest unnie is with them.

 

--

 

Seulgi zips her carrier close so loud that it almost echoes throughout her entire bedroom. Well, it's either she did it too loud or it's just too quiet in the room. She can practically hear the people holding their breaths.

 

"Seul, are you really sure about this?" Soojung looks at her with her eyebrows knotted together and the corners of dropping to a frown.

 

"Yeah, didn't you just un the mess you made? Why are you leaving?" Sulli asks. Seulgi just smiles at them. 

 

She lifts her bag off her bed and places it down on the floor.

 

"Don't look so sad. It's not like I'll be gone forever." She says.

 

"Hing." Soojung's shoulders fall to a slouch and she pouts, eyes filling up with tears. 

 

Seulgi sighs, walks up to her and wraps her arms around her.

 

"Aww, Ddoojungie's crying?"

 

"You're such an idiot, Seulgi!" She says, hits her on the arm over and over again. "You're making all the wrong choices."

 

"Are you mad because I'm leaving you alone with Jinri?" Seulgi jests.

 

"Yah!" Sulli reacts.

 

"Well, a little." Soojung admits.

 

"Ah, really! You guys are so mean." She puffs her cheeks out in frustration.

 

"Kidding aside, I'm gonna miss you both." Seulgi says in all honesty. She motions for Sulli to join the hug and the three of them just hold each other.

 

"We'll miss you too, Seul." Soojung says.

 

"Yeah, and don't worry about your mom. We'll make sure she's okay while you're away." Sulli assures her.

 

"What you have to worry about is what Wendy's going to do to you when she finds out." Seulgi just laughs.

 

"Does she even know?" Soojung asks. Seulgi shakes her head. 

 

"You heartless fiend!" Sulli gasps.

 

"I know. I don't think I'll ever be sorry enough." Seulgi smiles bitterly, swallows the lump in to say what will be her last words to her friends for a while. "I have to go now. I can't miss my flight."

 

Soojung and Sulli only cling tighter to her, starts wailing like babies and it doesn't make it any easier for her to leave.

 

---------------------------

A/N:  Sorry for the long wait. I wasn't expecting to be this much occupied with school work. And I really hate the fact that I'm writing lab reports instead of working on this fic (and my other fics) but whatever. I'd like to thank you all for still reading and upvoting and subscribing. You really make writing worthwhile. :)

I don't know when  I'll be able to have the next and last chapter posted. Please wait for it. Again, thank you for all your support.

 

- Bluekimchi