Over This Goddamn Picket Fence

Over The Picket Fence

One month later...

 

Joy is smiling in her sleep. She must be having a really good dream but Yeri can't wait any longer.

 

"Unnie," She calls, kicks the foot of Joy's bed to wake her.

 

Joy doesn't respond and Yeri tries again, kicks harder and even shoves Joy's shoulder. The older girl wakes up, glares at Yeri before ducking under her pillow.

 

"Unnie! Wake up!"

 

"Leave me alone, Yerim! Let me sleep." Her voice is muffled by her pillow. 

 

Promotions had ended and it's time to catch up on sleep. It's time to enjoy the break before they start preparing for the comeback in fall.

 

Yeri scowls.

 

"Sleep? It's past eleven! Get up!"

 

"No,"

 

"Fine. You enjoy your sleep while I'm out eating chicken with my crush!" Yeri spits. 

 

Joy sits up, throws her pillow away just in time to see Yeri walk out the door. She jumps off her bed only to be restrained by her blankets that have tangled up on her. Cursing, she frees herself and runs after Yeri. 

 

She sees her by the living room, opening a box of fried chicken on the coffee table. Her breathing gets heavy. Does this mean that Yeri had invited her crush to their house? She looks over her shoulder, continues to look around their house if there was anyone there.

 

Yeri sees her and she smiles at her.

 

"Finally!" She exclaims, motions for her to sit. 

 

Joy follows in a daze. She takes the plastic gloves and the chicken leg Yeri offers. For a minute, she just watches the younger girl eat. Yeri takes notice and asks.

 

"Why aren't you eating?"

 

"Y-you said you're going to eat chicken with your crush. Are we... expecting someone else or did you just say that to scare me?"

 

Yeri laughs, takes her time chewing before replying coolly.

 

"That's what I'm doing. I'm eating chicken with my crush." She smiles at the look on Joy's face, mouth slightly parted, eyes nevering leaving hers.

 

"Do you mean me?" Joy wonders if she's really awake. Maybe she's dreaming. She tests out this theory by using her free hand to pinch her cheek, hard, and that hurt like which could only mean that she's not. She's not dreaming!

 

"Well, you did tell me to cancel what I owe you and just eat chicken with whoever it is I like so..."

 

"Is it really me? What about Jeon Jungkook?"

 

"Don't like him." Yeri says, picks another piece from the box. "Eat, unnie. I bought this for you."

 

"Is this a confession of some sort?" The smile on her face is a little bit of everything - happy, smug, excited and somewhere between not being able to believe it all.

 

"Don't flatter yourself. It's an answer." Joy looks confused for a moment. Yeri only smiles at her. "What did you mean by 'wait for me and I will wait for you'?"

 

Three. Two. One. Comprehension dawns on her and it feels like she's been doused in ice water. How did she know about that? Could it be-

 

"You heard that?" She asks, her face taking on a deep red color.

 

"Hmm." Yeri nods, munches on her chicken. "And I like you too, you big Chicken." She says, smiles shyly.

 

--

 

Weeks pass and spring turns to summer. The cold turns to sweltering heat, but for one girl, everything remains the same. It's as if the only thing constant in this world is her. Time has left her, the season has left her, and Seulgi still hasn't come back. Is she ever coming back?

 

Irene sighs, leans against the doorway of Wendy's room as she watches the poor girl sitting on her chair, staring blankly out the window. It's been three months now since Seulgi left, left without saying goodbye, left without saying anything at all.

 

If Irene had known this would happen, she wouldn't have backed down for Wendy. She would have clung onto Seulgi. That way, only she would be feeling confused and hurt and lost and frustrated. Maybe Joy was right to dislike the girl. 

 

"Wendy, I'm going out to the convenience store. Is there anything you want?" She finally brings herself to ask, patienly waits for a sign that her question was heard.

 

Wendy takes her time to answer.

 

"No, I'm good. Thanks, unnie." She turns to face her for a moment, gives her a smile that only makes Irene sad.

 

"Okay. I'll be back." She mutters.

 

She walks down the stairs and passes the two maknaes on the kitchen. She decides to check up on them first before heading out.

 

"Did you break the egg? It's better if you don't." Joy says to Yeri.

 

"I thought you asked me to break it."

 

"I said don't break it."

 

"I heard you differently."

 

"Are you kids making ramyeon again?" Irene speaks up.

 

"Oh, hey, unnie. Yeah. We are. We made enough for all four of us." Yeri says. "Are you going somewhere?"

 

"Just to the convenience store. Is there anything you guys want?" Irene props her elbows on the counter top, leans against it as she watches the two.

 

"Can you get us hot bars? And that barley drink Wendy unnie likes!" Joy says.

 

"Yeah, sure. I'm sorry you guys have to make dinner for us again tonight."

 

"Pssh. It's okay, unnie. Wendy unnie's always done this for us. We can do it for her too." Yeri says, waving off her concern.

 

"Aren't you the sweetest little devils I've ever had the misfortune of meeting?" Signature smirk on her face as she teases the two. 

 

"Ouch." Joy pretends to be hurt. "These devils love you, you know."

 

"I'm kidding. Play nicely. No kissing while I'm gone. Yerim is still underage." She winks at the two.

 

"Hey!"

 

Irene runs fast, doesn't want to get beaten up for what she said. She's out the door and walking into the warm balmy night, smiling and thinking about how lucky Joy and Yeri are to be young and waiting together. 

 

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. They like each other and they're waiting for the right time to be together together. When Yeri understands how dating truly works, maybe when she's a bit older, that's when they'll make it official. For the time being, they'll spend it getting to know each other more. And that's really good. No pressure, no rush. Out of all of them, maybe the two have it the least difficult.

 

Irene gets to the store in no time. She's thankful that no else is around so she gets to leisurely shop for snacks, instant food, and Joy's requests. She's paying for her purchases when there's a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder outside. She curses under her breath. She did not bring an umbrella because she wasn't expecting it to rain. Oh, well. She would just have to run to get home.

 

She exits the store, steps into the downpour. She grits her teeth as she prepares herself to run but then, she's surprised to see a tall figure standing next to her. That's when she realizes that she isn't getting wet at all.

 

"It's you." She mutters, looking up at the girl.

 

"Hello, Irene unnie." 

 

"It's Soojung, right?" She asks and the girl nods. "Where are you off to?"

 

"Seulgi's house. Sulli and I are sleeping over to keep her mom company." The girl replies. "You don't have an umbrella so... we should walk together."

 

"Thanks." 

 

They walk in silence. Irene tries not to look at Soojung too much but she only notices now how pretty the girl is. Her long and thin fingers nervously holding up the umbrella. And that shy look on her face. Irene couldn't help but want to get to know her.

 

"You're in college, right? What's your major?" She asks to break the ice.

 

"Me? Oh, music." Soojung replies. "I major in music."

 

"Really? Seulgi's into that stuff too." She mumbles.

 

"Yeah, you know what they say. Birds of the same feather." Soojung smiles shyly.

 

"You do have a lot in common." Irene bites back a smile. She looks up and notices that the umbrella is quite unique. "This is a pretty cute umbrella."

 

"You really think so? I got it off kickstarter. It's something like polyvinyl but it's UV treated and waterproof. The handle is bamboo and it's wind stable. Cool, right?"

 

Irene lets out a giggle. She wasn't expecting an answer like that. She only thought that the silhouette kind of looked like a .

 

"Can I ask you something personal, Soojung?" She sounds hopeful, a little. She hopes Soojung doesn't notice.

 

"I'm not sure..." The younger girl hesitates as everybody else would but Irene just goes on because if she doesn't, she knows she'll regret it later.

 

"What's going on between you and Sulli?"

 

Silence. And then Soojung snorts.

 

"Me and Sulli? Nothing. We're good friends." She replies in a light voice that has Irene suddenly feeling giddy inside.

 

"Just friends? You're not going to realize that you're in love with each other at some point, right?" She presses on, spitting out words in a fast pace to match their steps.

 

"Eww." Soojung's face takes on a look of disgust. "That would be like . And besides, she's in a serious relationship. Why are you asking?" Irene shrugs.

 

"Can I ask you one more question?" Soojung shrugs. They're already past asking uncomfortable ones. "Can I have your number?"

 

--

 

"Say kimchi!"

 

"Kimchiiii!!!" 

 

The camera flashes has Wendy momentarily going blind. Her eyes sting and water and she has to excuse herself to wipe it dry while her members socialize with their seniors.

 

"Congratulations on your comeback, sunbae!" Wendy hears their Sooyoung talking to Girls' Generation's Sooyoung. Which is kind of funny because Sooyoung is talking to Sooyoung. She's just coming to terms with this when Taeyeon joins her in her corner.

 

"Hello there, Wendy." The blonde woman grins widely at her, pats her back. "Thanks for the cookies by the way."

 

"It's nothing, sunbae. I wish you luck on your comeback." Wendy smiles back, kinda wishes the older woman would walk off to talk to the other members but she doesn't.

 

"Hey, how's Off Limits?" She asks, wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. 

 

"You mean, Seulgi?" Wendy heaves a sigh. It's that name again. The name that has her both feeling like she could fly to the sky and sink to the bottom of the ocean at the same time.

 

"Uh-oh. Lovers' quarrel?" Taeyeon asks, becomes serious all of a sudden.

 

"It's complicated." She says in a hollow voice, not really feeling up to talking about Seulgi at the moment. Or probably ever again.

 

"What did she do?" Wendy thinks for a moment if she should answer the question honestly because, well, Taeyeon and her aren't really that close. But she decides to do it anyway.

 

"She left. Without saying goodbye." Her forehead creases. How many weeks, months has it been? She stopped counting.

 

"Hmmm. Did she? Then that probably means she's going to come back." Taeyeon says like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

 

"Sorry?"

 

"People come and go." Taeyeon pauses. "Some say goodbye. Others don't. But in your case, I know she didn't say goodbye for a reason." A smile plays on her lips. She puts an arm around Wendy and pulls her close.

 

"She didn't say goodbye because... it isn't goodbye." She finishes.

 

Wendy swallows, so reluctant in believing the older girl. How can she make it sound so simple?

 

"What makes you think so?" She asks, desperate for anything to hold onto because she honestly doesn't know what to feel anymore.

 

Taeyeon chuckles lightly. Wendy thinks she should feel offended for having her struggles laughed at but she doesn't because she knows Taeyeon's intention is to cheer her up.

 

"I've seen the way she looks at you. There's no way that girl is ever going to let go of you." Taeyeon says with so much conviction, like she's speaking out of experience that Wendy can't help but to believe her.

 

"Do you really think so?"

 

"I do but.. I also think that you should give her a really hard punch on the nose when she shows up." Wendy is finally able to laugh and Taeyeon just smiles at her again.

 

A staff member comes in and asks Girls' Generation to be ready for their performance. Another staff member ushers Wendy and Joy to their reserved seats to watch the comeback stage - Irene has MC duties and Yeri's at school.

 

The two of them stick close together because of the thick volume of people in the auditorium. There's no doubt that the national girl group's comeback was anticipated. They blend in well with the crowd, holding pastel pink heart-shaped balloons and wearing matching headbands along with everyone else.

 

"I wish Yerim was here with us." Joy thinks aloud, hand gripping the hem of Wendy's shirt so they won't get separated.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yerim really likes the Girls' Generation sunbaes. Especially Yoona sunbae." Joy explains.

 

"You're not jealous, are you?" Wendy asks, genuinely curious.

 

"I'm not. Why would I be?" Joy says coolly and Wendy knows she's telling the truth.

 

"Amazing. Just amazing." She comments as they settle down on their seats.

 

"Shh. It's starting." Joy points to the front.

 

A million screams resonate in the auditorium as the music starts to play. Fans yell out their chants in perfect synchronization, Joy joining in with so much enthusiasm. Wendy, however, is somewhere else, wondering. Always wondering.

 

She's thinking about what Taeyeon said, thinking about Seulgi, thinking about how things will go from here, thinking about how Joy and Yeri had it easy, well not really easy, but still not as chaotic as her and Seulgi. Is there even a her and Seulgi? A them? An us? What has become of them now? 

 

She thinks about this thing called love and this little girl who held her hand on the walk home, who made drawings for her, who listened to her talk about how scared she was of her parents pending divorce, who hugged her when she cried, who understood without her having to say a word, who cried when she left, who was devastated when they parted, who had hoped they would meet again, who had waited for her.

 

Did Seulgi really mean what she said or was it all an elaborate joke so she would know how it feels like to be left behind? Does Seulgi really like her enough to come back? Why did she leave without saying anything? What is Wendy supposed to feel now?

 

There are a million questions running amok in her head, leaving her speechless and clueless. And that's when she hears a voice, that one voice that could and will always float above the pandemonium of screaming fans and loud speakers, a voice she'd be willing to trade anything for just to hear it again.

 

"Seungwan?" 

 

Wendy stands up, looks everywhere, searching for the source. Joy looks up at her curiously. She becomes more frantic, doesn't even care if she's blocking the people's view of the stage. Finally, Joy pulls her down to sit, apologizes to the people and then turns back to the front again.

 

"I swear I heard her, Sooyoung. I heard her. She called for me. I heard her." She says, her entire being shaking with desperation. "What if she's here?"

 

Joy doesn't say anything, knows it's best if she just lets Wendy be but at the same time hopes things will get better soon. She doesn't want to admit it but she secretly hopes that Seulgi will come back to make things right or whatever. She doesn't even care anymore if she was right to dislike Seulgi, and she loves being right. She's willing to bet anything - okay, maybe not being with Yeri - just to get Seulgi to come back. She just wants Wendy to stop hurting. Why can't they all be happy?

 

They don't talk afer the performance, even when they head back to the waiting room to bond with their seniors. 

 

It's late when they get back to the dorm. Joy practically runs inside the house in her haste to see Yeri. Irene chuckles at her, teasing her for being so whipped over the maknae. She looks over at Wendy, expecting her to say something.

 

"Aren't you going to say your line, Wendy? 'I'm disappointed'." Irene quotes her, tries to get her attention. "Wendy?"

 

But she's somewhere else, like always. She looking out the window, squinting through the darkness. Irene follows her line of sight. So do Joy and Yeri, putting their reunion on hold. 

 

"Is that-" 

 

A silhoutte can be seen standing by the other side of the fence, facing the house. Wendy's entire being is overtaken by a strange feeling, hovering between excitement and fear. Could it be? Could it really be?

 

The entire lawn lights up without warning, a hundred tiny lanterns hanging in strips from one end of the lawn to the other, like stars painting the darkened sky. A girl stands where the silhoutte was, a pastel pink heart-shaped balloon in her hand, much like the one Wendy's holding right now. 

 

"It is. Unnie! What are you waiting for? Go!" Yeri says. Irene starts to push Wendy forward.

 

"Go, Wendy, go!" She adds more force to the push.

 

Wendy finally moves, albeit slowly. Her feet feeling heavy as she heads for the door and crosses the lawn. She slows down, hesitates. It's weird how she wanted nothing more than to see the girl hours ago and now, she's so afraid of seeing her. Is this happening for real? Maybe she fell asleep on the van and she's dreaming right now because that would make more sense than this.

 

"Seungwan," It's that voice again. Just like how she heard it at the studio earlier.

 

"Seulgi... is it really you?" She stops in front of her, holds the balloon up to her face, still not able to believe what is happening.

 

Seulgi smiles, raises the balloon to her face too.

 

"Where have you been? Why did you leave without saying anything? I... I-" Wendy's hands drop to her sides. She feels weak.

 

She's been waiting for this moment for months but she never really imagined it to be like this. She wanted to choke Seulgi for leaving her hanging without a clue but at the same time wanted to hold her gently because she missed her so. Right now, all she can do is spout out the questions that have crippled her during her absence.

 

"I went to Japan to be with my dad. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye... I knew that if I tried to, I wouldn't be able to leave."  Seulgi answers, eyes boring into hers and it's as if those eyes are the only thing she knows.

 

Seulgi takes a deep breath, drinks in the sight of Wendy in front of her. Her eyes are b with tears and sparkling like the light from the lanterns. Seulgi knows she has to explain. She owes Wendy that much.

 

"I want you to know that I wasn't trying to run away nor was I trying to get back at you for leaving fifteen years ago." She says when Wendy doesn't talk.

 

"So why did you?" Her voice shakes.

 

"I did it for you. I knew that I had to get my life together if I was to be with you. I had to be deserving of you. I didn't just do it for myself. I did it for you too." Seulgi replies.

 

"I didn't want you to love a mediocre college drop out without a purpose in life. I didn't want you to waste your time on a coward who can't take responsibility for the decisions she makes. You deserve better than someone like that."

 

"It may sound selfish but I left so I could find what I need for myself for you. I left because I love you, Seungwan. I'm sorry if my leaving hurt you but I love you."

 

Wendy stays silent for a long time. The atmosphere becomes heavy with Seulgi's words hanging in the air. She swallows, not knowing what to say.

 

"You've been gone for a long time-" She finally speaks.

 

"100 days." Seulgi interrupts.

 

"100 days?! You left me hanging for that long?" Her tone rises. She didn't know it was that long and it's making her angry. She should probably punch her on the nose like Taeyeon said.

 

"Yes, but not a day went by when I didn't miss you or think about what you were doing, if you were having fun at work, if you were getting enough sleep, if Irene unnie was taking care of you, if you're doing fine without me, if you would still take me when I come back."

 

Seulgi steps closer so that their bodies are only inches apart despite the fence (waist-high) between them.

 

"Still, I'm sorry for hurting you, Seungwan. I'm sorry." Seulgi doesn't sound like Seulgi. She sounds mature and changed. But most of all, she sounds sincere.

 

"If you can find it in yourself to forgive me, Seungwan, I promise to never leave you again. I promise that nothing will ever keep us apart. Ever." Her eyes are begging, Wendy in like it's the entrance to a different world, so inviting, so promising.

 

Wendy thinks for a moment. Oh, well. Who was she kidding? She can never stay mad at Seulgi for long. Not when she's looking at her like that. Not when her answers all revolve around her and how she cared about her. She really has no idea what to say now so she asks another question.

 

"Did you find what you were looking for? Because I need a guarantee that you won't leave again." Wendy says.

 

"I did." Seulgi smiles. "I've had to ride planes, climb mountains, and trek through forests but the biggest piece of the puzzle is and will always be you, Son Seungwan."

 

The space between them gets smaller and smaller until Wendy finally throws her arms around Seulgi's neck, pulling her close. Their lips meld together in a flurry of sparks and explosions, literally because Sulli's on the side, lighting up sparklers and figuratively because that's just how it is when you're in love. It matters not if they've been through a roller coaster of emotions, a tug-of-war of feelings. What matters is that they're together and there is no going back from that. 

 

They break the kiss only to have their foreheads rest against each others.

 

"I missed you so much." Wendy breathes. "I feel like there's so much to make up for."

 

"And we have all the time in the world." Seulgi replies. "We have so much time that even if you ask to leave and look for yourself, I'll let you go." Wendy holds her wrist tight, shakes her head at her.

 

"No. Don't ever let me go. Hold me tight and don't let me out of your sight. I don't need to look for myself because all I will ever be and all I will ever need will be here, next to you, over this damn picket fence." Wendy says, presses her lips against Seulgi's again.

 

"Whew. Are they ever going to break apart? I'm out of sparklers." Sulli says to Soojung who only shrugs at her. "Can you tell them to- Yah, I'm talking to you."

 

Soojung doesn't seem to hear her as she waves from across the yard to Irene who returns the wave shyly. Yeri teases the leader for that and Joy just keeps on blocking Seulgi and Wendy from the maknae's view.

 

"I'm not looking, I swear. You can stop now. You're making me dizzy. " Yeri says, tries to keep Joy from moving around so much.

 

"It's better to be sure." Joy says. Yeri rolls her eyes.

 

"If you don't stay still, I swear to God, I'm going to kiss you!" Yeri yells.

 

"Park Sooyoung, why aren't you staying still?!" Irene screeches.

 

Wendy pulls away from Seulgi, turns to her members in time to see Yeri stand on her toes to give Joy a peck.

 

"Seungwan, what- where are you going?"

 

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU, SOOTAN!"

 

"She kissed me! Yerim kissed me!"

 

"She provoked me!"

 

"DON'T PRETEND THAT YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT. I WILL KILL BOTH OF YOU."

 

"Oh my gosh. Soojung, you have to see this! Soojung? Aish. Really."

 

"Are you free on Wednesday?" 

 

"Should I pick you up here?"

 

"Yah, unnie! I need your help here!"

 

"Go away, Wendy. I'm busy!"

 

"Wah. I'm so disappointed."

 

Fin.

 

--------------------------

A/N: The end! Waaaah. After five months. Ohmygod. You guys stuck around for 5 months. That's like one whole semester. I'm cry.

But really, I want to thank everyone for all of the support this fic received. Thank you for reading, commenting, and upvoting! Thank you all so much! I never expected this to happen (the number of subscribers and the upvotes). I can never say thank you enough. *wipes away tears of joy*

I know it wasn't perfect and I still have a lot of room for improvement. So please expect more from me. And if it isn't too much to ask, I hope to also receive your support in the future.

I already have a couple of fics in the making. One is Seuldy (shout out to the Seuldy shippers out there) and I'm considering on writing a Seulrene one too. Please anticipate. 

So that's that. Thank you again. Till next time! *bows*

- Bluekimchi