Chapter 2

Soulmate

Getting up in the morning was ultimately the only issue Seulgi had as an idol. Especially with Jongin in Japan for work and not available to nag Seulgi to wake up, the issue became more of an issue. The rest were things she never allowed herself to laze over. Once she arrived at the studio or whatever location they were required to be at, it was as if an internal switch was instantly flicked and there wasn’t any percentage of sloth left in her.

At the moment, they were at the filming of their upcoming music video. Today, they were focusing on the dancing and one of the major stations were visiting to shoot the behind the scenes segments as well meaning they had to be conscious of their every move not knowing which ones could be included in the final edit. But unlike most idol groups, Red Velvet enjoyed being a mess on set. Especially with the arrival of their newest member, and their new maknae, Yeri, the girls couldn’t help but cause chaos.

With the exception of Seulgi who was completely serious. She smiled once in awhile if she felt the camera was on her, but that was it. Being the lead dancer and having the dance be the focus of their shooting, she knew much was expected of her—and she wasn’t one to disappoint and allow people’s expectations of her to falter.

“She’s always like this,” She heard Irene telling one of the cameras while she was having her individual filming. “She barely even acknowledges compliments, as if nothing ever meets her standards. Yeah, she can be a goof ball too, but when it comes to work— Seulgi works.”

“What a spoilsport, huh?” Joy added at the side. Yeri sniggered behind her, looping a hand through her arm.

Seulgi flashed one last pose and a glare at Joy as she walked towards where the girls were. “Is that true, Seulgi?” The PD asked.

“Well, uh,” Seulgi rubbed the back of her neck, coming up with an appropriate answer. “I love my job more than anything. And I personally still think of this career as a privilege and mediocrity should never be a person’s set standards for a privilege that other people could only dream of.”

Joy and Yeri clapped slowly, sarcastic smugs spreading on their faces. “All hail, Kang Seulgi.” Yeri praised, raising her hands up in a way to worship her unnie, Joy followed suit. Irene waved a hand to make them stop, subtly asking them to just keep practicing instead of teasing her best friend in front of the cameras.

“What’s in it for Seulgi in the next 5, 10 years then?” The PD added another question. “Is this how you wish to be? An idol?”

“I don’t know, who knows to be honest?” Seulgi shrugged, the question actually sinking in. “But I genuinely hope so.” She finished off with a small smile; Irene patted her back gently next to her.

“And how does President Kim feel about this? Is that what he would want too?”

Seulgi’s face blankened, startled by the sudden question. “Well, uh…” She stammered, unable to form a response. How does he feel about this? “Uhm…”

“Uh, sorry but Seulgi won’t be entertaining these types of questions.” Irene intervened, blocking her away from the camera. “Company orders.”

Thankfully the cameras were immediately put down and the PD no longer pushed any further. But Seulgi was left pondering on the question brought up, realizing that no matter how long she thought of it, she couldn’t come up with an answer to respond with.

-

“Anyhow, so Jongdae was saying I was being rude and insensitive all because I didn’t like his permed hair,” Wendy ranted. “When honestly it looked exactly like what we’re having for dinner right now; and that isn’t a good thing.”

“Ramyeon hair, huh?” Joy chuckled.

Ramyeon hair.” Wendy nodded, with a sigh.

“Seul, eat. Your food’s getting cold.” Irene ordered, pushing Seulgi’s bowl of ramyeon closer to her.

“You’ve been quiet all dinner time,” Wendy pointed out, slurping in her soup. “Everything okay?”

Irene was attempting to calm down Joy and Yeri who were flinging noodles at each other before looking over at Seulgi, knowing what was still floating around in her head. “Just tired.” Seulgi mumbled softly, leaning back on her seat. “And I’m not that hungry.”

“Still. Eat, even just a little.” Irene said with concern. “Come on, it has chicken.”

“And since when do you get tired this easily?” Wendy questioned. “And reject anything chicken? Or food, for that matter.”

“Maybe cause it’s all our president makes her eat.” Yeri intervened. “Is our company failing—are we failing at our jobs that much for the only thing our CEO to afford be chicken?” The table broke out in laughter with the exception of Seulgi who just merely shrugged; it was yet another question she didn’t have a response to.

-

Seulgi came home to a dark apartment, even more exhausted than earlier. She dropped her duffel bag the moment she stepped in, not even bothering to hang it up. She just wanted a warm shower and a long slumber. She’s gotten used to Jongin being abroad and away but it was times like this; times that she felt more alone than she should have felt, times that she just needed her boyfriend more than she’d like to admit.

Times like this that the only thing that could put a smile back on her face was the surprise of seeing him behind his desk, the moment she reached the top of the staircase.

“Jongin?” She mumbled, as if checking if he was a hallucination.

He lifted his gaze; round spectacles perched on his nose. “Oh hey,” Jongin called out, a grin easily appearing on his expression. “You’re home.”

“Don’t you think I should be the one saying that?” Seulgi retorted.

“Oh yeah, sorry.” Jongin chuckled, putting away the papers he was holding. “Yup, I’m here.”

Seulgi walked over to where he was, almost dragging herself due to how tired she was. But her emotions were effortlessly ligtening at the sight of him. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming home earlier?”

“I only found out myself a few hours ago,” He shrugged. “A few of the shareholders are passing by tomorrow and they needed me here—“ Jongin cut off his own words, startled as Seulgi slumped down on his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck and leaning against the side of his face. He chuckled softly, letting go of everything he was holding to be able to hold Seulgi closer to him spinning his chair around at a more comfortable angle for the both of them. He felt Seulgi sigh before asking, “You okay?”

“Yeah,” Now that you’re here. “Just a long day.”

“Hm, let’s see, what did you have today,” Jongin wondered. “You had your MV shooting?”

Seulgi pushed herself back, raising an eyebrow. “You memorized my schedule?”

“Of course, I’m your boss, it’s my job.” Jongin pointed out. “Also, that way it’d be easier to figure out if you’re cheating on me.” He joked.

“Jongin, please.” Seulgi frowned. “If I was cheating on you, I’d be so discreet you wouldn’t even remotely find out.”

“Ha ha.” Jongin furrowed his eyebrows at her. “Funny, Seul. Funny.”

Seulgi sniggered before comfortably laying her head on his shoulder again. “I missed you.”

Jongin faked a gasp. “Must have been one heck of a long day for you to be saying these things voluntarily.” He laughed shortly, snuggling closer to Seulgi.

Seulgi simply nodded, sitting up once again and looking over at Jongin’s desk, a single lamplight shining on the scattered papers and folders. “You still have work to do?”

“Just a few contracts to read through and sign,” Jongin answered, pushing his glasses back up. “Go head to bed, I’ll follow in a few.” Seulgi nodded again as Jongin briefly pressed his lips against her temple, allowing her to stand up and obey him.

 

 

Author’s Note

Domestic SeulKai, I am in love.

Okay since some of you have been asking, here are a few exovelvet recommendations (obvs mostly seulkai-centric). All worth reading, I promise.

A Collection of Growing Pains (ohmygod the plot is... ohmygod. To all you sekai/seulkai shippers-- my god this is for you)

Freshmen Stay Fresh (EVERYTHING IS FUNNY AND AMUSING AND WENHUN IS ADORABLE TOO)

Under the Moonlight (A collection of one-shots-- and all of them are... sighs, i love seulkai)

Acquisition Costs (surene—my god Suho’s character is so onpoint and the entire fic is so humorous, I swear this is a must read)

Oh and thank you for all the birthday greetings. Only a year left and I’ll be two decades old, gross barfs gRoss.

Okay yeah. Keep voting for EXO on all the music shows and watching their MV, let’s help our boys get their 5th, 6th… win. Thanks for reading, see you all in the next update. I’m going to go try to write a Vitus update now.