Chapter 7

Soulmate

“Turn left on the next block.” Seulgi ordered carefully, leaning forward so as to get a clearer view of the street signs and the town—her hometown, one she hasn’t seen in quite awhile but moving past all the old houses and landmarks she grew up indifferently passing through still felt like second nature. “Yes, right here.” She clarified, the moment she saw that familiar empty lot as Jongin followed, swerving the car towards the direction she pointed at. No one ever built a house there after all those years. She momentarily wondered why.

“Are we close?” Jongin asked, rather excitedly too.

“Not just close,” Seulgi said, a smile finding itself on the corners of as she unbuckled her seatbelt, head turning towards the window next to her. “We’re here.”

Jongin brought the car to a soft halt, as the white house Seulgi had her eyes glued to came into view. A small cement pathway in the middle of patches of grass, with what Jongin immediately recognized as tulips scattered around, leading up to a porch, and wooden doors. Seulgi stepped out, breathing in that purely Busan air she didn’t realize she missed so much until that very moment, feeling Jongin stand a few inches next to her as he grabbed their luggage from the trunk and locked the car.

The smile on her face widened, as she turned to her boyfriend who returned the smile once she did. “Ready?” Jongin asked kindly, stretching his empty hand out.

“Honey, I should be asking you that.” Seulgi scoffed, a chuckle leaving her lips in an instant.

Jongin, surprisingly, chuckled back. “Honey,” He mocked, quickly grabbing Seulgi’s hand even without her permission. “I’m Kim Jongin. And I am gah-reat with parents.” He said, with complete emphasis on the gah-reat.

“That confident huh, Kim Jongin?” Seulgi jeered.

“Believe me,” Jongin started walking towards the porch steps, Seulgi following naturally. “Once we’re done here, they’re going to want to start setting up your dowry. I mean hey, your mother’s already in love with me. Maybe, even your dad.”

Ha,” Seulgi laughed, somewhat cynically. “Wait ‘til you meet the rest of the family.”

Jongin completely stopped in his steps, jerking Seulgi back along with him just just before they reached the first step of the porch. “Rest of the family?” He echoed, face dropping. “I thought only your parents were in Busan.”

“Yeah, but haven’t you heard?” Seulgi questioned, raising an eyebrow as she straightened up on the step, currently as tall as her boyfriend. “My brothers are back in Busan for the month too.”

Jongin gulped, very visibly, eyes looking like they were prepared to jump out of their sockets.

Seulgi cackled to herself, giving Jongin’s hand a rather aggressive squeeze. “But hey, you have nothing to worry about,” She said. “You’re Kim Jongin, remember.”

She gave him a wink which Jongin was too busy sweating internally to acknowledge, along with the subtle pull Seulgi exerted to drag him up the rest of the stairs.

The door was opened in the middle of practically only the third knock of Seulgi’s fist on it, her father behind the frame not even taking a second to engulf his daughter in his embrace—something Seulgi was luckily pretty used to at this point.

“My baby girl.” Mr. Kang whispered as he laid his chin on top of Seulgi’s head. “I missed you so much.”

“Yeshimishedutudad”, was all anyone could remotely understand from Seulgi as Mr. Kang tightened his hold on her even more and quite frankly, ensured the lack of proper breathing on Seulgi’s end in the process.

Her dad, upon realizing this, let go of her. “Sorry,” He chuckled in apology, transferring his hands from around her to on top of her shoulders. “Daddy just missed his girl.”

“I said,” Seulgi let out a deep breath. “Yes, I missed you too dad.” She clarified, straightening out her hair before remembering who was standing behind her. She took a quick glance at her boyfriend who seemed to have managed to gather himself again after the scare. “Dad, you remember Jongin?”

“Remember him?” Her father gasped, as if it was a sin. “I practically adopted him into this family already, welcome Jongin. Please, please come in.” Mr. Kang insisted, voluntarily grabbing one of the bags Jongin was lugging around.

“Hello Sir, it’s wonderful to see you again.” Jongin, having recovered from the initial shock of receiving the news earlier, smiled wide and reached a hand out which Mr. Kang eagerly accepted and shook. “I heard Seulgi’s brothers are home, as well?”

“Seunghoon will be here by tonight.” He responded, shutting the door behind them. “Seungri, on the other hand, is giving his new girlfriend a tour of the city.”

“New one again?” Seulgi questioned. “Who’s the this time—“

“There, there Kang Seulgi. We do not say those words in this house.” Mr. Kang scolded, his daughter giving him an eye roll. “And you know, your brother’s just finding his way.”

“He’s 30.” Seulgi argued. “He should have found his way a long time ago.”

His father glanced over at Jongin who was busy taking in the interior of their house after having shrugged off his coat, deciding to let Seulgi off without a warning. “So, Jongin.” He said, clapping a hand on Jongin’s shoulder. “Nothing as extravagant as your mansion in Seoul but—“

“No, no Sir.” Jongin hastily shook his head. “It’s beautiful.”

Mr. Kang smiled. “Thank you,” He said. “My wife designed it herself. Speaking of—“

Kim Jongin,” A rather screechy voice entered the room. “How dare you enter my house and not announce yourself?”

Seulgi’s petite mother appeared, an apron tied around her waist and her hair tied up in a bun as messed up as Seulgi’s usually were, rushing towards Jongin.

Jongin bowed ninety degrees in apology, Seulgi cringing at him at his side. “Mrs. Kang, I’m sorry, we just arrived—“

“Non-sense, my husband must have been hogging you all to himself.” She contended, insisting he stood up and opening her arms. Mr. Kang simply scoffed at the statement. “Give your mother-in-law a hug.”

Seulgi rolled her eyes for the nth time. “Hello to you too, mother. It’s nice to see you too.”

“You’ve gained weight again, Kang Seulgi.”

Seulgi frowned. “Mom, a lecture now? Really?—“

“Good.” Her mother added, looping an arm through Jongin’s. “You’ve been looking like an anorexic stick recently, I’m guessing we have your boss to thank for you looking healthy again.”

“No ma’am, it’s all her.” Jongin shook his head again.

“Ah, humility.” Mrs. Kang breathed. “Best quality of a man. Rare.”

“Yah.” Mr. Kang interjected, suddenly feeling attacked by his own wife.

“Why don’t we show them to their rooms?”

Roomsss?” Seulgi’s rather thin eyes widened.

“You didn’t expect us to just allow you both to stay in one room, did you?” Mrs. Kang questioned, as Jongin stayed silent and looked for the handle of his bag once Mrs. Kang let his arm go.

Seulgi’s frown extended, suddenly transforming into a pre-pubescent teenager. “Mother please, we’ve been living in one room for the past years—“

“Not under my roof. You’re staying in your own room, young lady.” She concluded. “Let’s go Jongin, your room is this way—“

“But mom—“ Seulgi whined, watching as her boyfriend was dragged by her own mother, as defenseless and helpless as her. “Dad, do something.”

“Sorry Seul,” Her dad shrugged before he draped an arm over her. “But I’m with your mom on this one.” Seulgi pouted at him like the little girl her dad still saw her as, her dad chuckling in response as he grabbed Seulgi’s luggage from behind. “Come on, let’s take this to your room.”

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE

Good evening, everyone!!!! Oh my goodness, how long has it been? I MISSED YOU ALL, I MISSED WRITING, I MISSED SEULKAI SO MUCH HUHUHU hope you’ve all been doing well! And you enjoyed this short chapter. Trust me, there’s so much more to go and I can’t wait for you guys to see all I have planned for seulkai’s Busan trip.

Christmas is coming up, and that means my break is too, and that means more time to write. Aaaaah, I’m super excited. And I hope you guys are too.

Til’ the next chapter. ♡

PS. Thank you so much to all the new subscribers despite that hiatus. And to everyone who kept waiting. You all have very special places in my heart, be assured of that hihi. Love you all! Have a great night.