Chapter 3

Soulmate

Tonight was one of the few nights that Jongin and Seulgi were separated from each other despite both being in Korea. Tonight was boys’ night; something Jongin’s friends vowed to never forgive him if he missed any of them due to it practically being the only night all of them were together.

Practically all of them were now in their mid 20s, have already settled down and have surprisingly already grown out of their usual routines of hopping from one club to another, let alone from one girl to another, during their time together like when they were younger.  Boys’ night was spent indoors with buckets of chicken, cases of beer and rowdy company. It was the one night they let themselves feel young again; going through the night carelessly as if they had no commitments and responsibilities. Boys night had only three rules; no being late, no girls, and no leaving completely sober (a rule Jongin has pretended to not be breaking multiple times now—Seulgi hates it when he drinks, and he’s come to dislike it now too). Breaking any of the rules meant consequences ultimately decided by them themselves—no buts, no ifs.

Two out of three rules Luhan already clearly broke when the door of the penthouse loft Chanyeol and Baekhyun shared banged open.

“Hey!!!!!” Luhan yelled, one hand gripping onto a bottle of vodka and the other hand tugging onto someone’s wrist.

“You’re late.” Baekhyun blatantly pointed out, dropping his cards on the table and cutting off the game of poker they were just immersed in. “And you brought someone, hey Sehun—damn you’re asking for it, Lu.”

Luhan shut the door behind Sehun who looked more apprehensive than ever as he shook off Luhan’s hand. “I admit to being late, but the rules clearly state no girls,” He explained, forcibly taking Sehun’s hand again. “And Sehunnie here is clearly anything but that.”

“I’m not so sure about that considering the way you just said Sehunnie—gross, don’t do that ever again.” Chanyeol said, faking a barfing expression.

“Where have you been?” Jongin asked, noticing Sehun who was  obviously avoiding his gaze.

“Well,” Luhan smirked, side eyeing Sehun whose hair was as messed up as his was. “We actually arrived on time but I brought the Audi today and you know how wide the backseat is, wide enough for—“

“Ew, gross no that’s enough, no—" Baekhyun protested immediately, both he and Chanyeol turning his head away from where Luhan was standing, not entirely sure yet if whether or not they were ready to be comfortable with Luhan’s new “experimenting” as he called it.

“I think I should go.” Sehun muttered frantically, trying to face the door, Luhan quickly whipping him back with a hold on his wrist.

“No, don’t be silly, you’re here already.” Jongin interrupted, standing up and taking the bottle from Luhan’s hand. “Sehun, why don’t you come with me to the kitchen so we can get some ice and pop this open?”

Sehun seemed rather startled but followed regardless.

Jongin placed the bottle on the counter and headed straight towards the fridge after grabbing the bucket, which Baekhyun kept on one of the shelves. “The bottle opener’s right there.” Jongin pointed to the drawer Sehun was leaning against. They worked in silence as Sehun quickly found it as directed and ripped the seal of the vodka bottle open while Jongin filled the bucket with ice before walking towards Sehun.

“So, how have you been man?” Jongin casually asked. “Your latest album did really well, congratulations.”

“Thank you, and I’ve been fine, Sir--” Sehun replied, his voice cracking at the last word.

Jongin shook his head. “Call me Jongin here.”

Sehun stared at him blankly. “I’ve been fine… Jongin. Everything’s been fine.”

And the silence was back.

Jongin sighed. “Look Sehun,” He said, abruptly facing him. “I know our situation’s not exactly the most comfortable one per se.”

“You don’t say.” Sehun sarcastically mumbled.

Jongin’s lip quirked up. “Boss and your ex girlfriend’s current boyfriend, not comfortable at all huh?”

Sehun nodded hastily.

“But I would really appreciate it if we could keep those things in the past, and I know Seulgi’s important to you—“

“No, no, that’s not it.” Sehun retorted. “It’s fine, Seulgi and I are fine, that’s in the past. All in the past.”

“Then that’s good.” Jongin beamed. “But it’s not just that either. You’re… special… to Luhan.”

“Please don’t say it like that.” Sehun begged, clenching his eyes shut in disgust.

“Sorry,” Jongin chuckled. “It’s just that Luhan’s one of my best friends, he has been for as long as I can remember. And if you’re important to him, regardless of anything I say you’re going to have to be a part of my life—of our lives. And I don’t want you to feel in any way unwelcome around here because you are.”

Sehun finally turned to his side to face Jongin.

“And yeah technically I am your boss, but we’re of the same age, we have a lot more in common than I think we both are aware of. And if it’s fine with you, I’d like for us—for all of us—to be friends.” Jongin said, before adding and stretching his hand out. “At least outside of work.”

It took a moment but Sehun shook his hand in response and finally smiled. And for the first time in a long time, maybe even ever, Jongin was sure it was genuine.

---

Supposedly, all the girls should have had their eyes following the final credits, which were once again rolling up the screen that faded to black as the mvovie came to an end. But all they could keep their gazes steady on was Seulgi sniffling tears and coughing into an over used sheet of tissue.

“Landon gave her everything,” Seulgi stammered to say, one hand balled into a fist and rubbing her sore eyes. “What better way is there to die than being fully committed to the love of your life—beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.”

The rest of the girls stared at Seulgi in bewilderment (and a little terror) as she emptied out yet another box of Kleenex. Wendy cringed at Seulgi, mouthing a “what’s wrong with her” to Joy next to her, Joy shrugging in response. Irene waved them off as she shut off the television, and walked away to get Seulgi some water.

“Didn’t you say this movie was stupid?” Yeri, the maknae, bluntly questioned.

“I take it back.” Seulgi retorted. “I was stupid—I’m stupid—that may be the greatest love story there ever was, even better than Romeo & Juliet and Casablanca combined— A Walk to Remember is brilliant. Nicholas Sparks is brilliant.”

“Unnie, I don’t mean to intrude on your cryfest but did you drink anything before you got here?” Joy asked. “Like something alcoholic or…”

Wendy raised a finger in acknowledgment. “Or have you been trying something new—like I don’t know, cigarettes or experimental drugs— it’s fine, you can tell us, we know the stress can get to even the best of us—“

“Oh, I know!” Yeri interrupted. “Is it your time of the month, unnie?--”

“That’s enough.” Irene ordered, whacking each of the girl’s with a throw pillow settled on their dorm’s couch after handing Seulgi a glass of water.

“What’s with the grilling, I’m fine--“ Seulgi inquired after taking a few sips, and placing it down on the side table. “And for your information, the answer is no. To all your questions. I’m offended you would even think I do any of that—well at least the first two or three.”

“It’s just that…” Wendy explained slowly. “You’re crying.”

Seulgi squinted in confusion. “And?”

“You. Kang Seulgi. Are crying.”

“It’s not even the crying,” Joy elucidated. “It’s the you crying.”

“What about me crying?” Seulgi asked, raising an eyebrow.

“It’s weird!” Yeri screeched. “It’s really, really weird!”

“I said, that’s enough.” Irene firmly said, glaring at each of the girls who were seated on the floor. “Let Seulgi be, it was an emotional movie. She can cry a little.”

“A little? She was bawling like a two year old who had a bottle of milk taken away from her.” Wendy disputed.

“For someone who sheds tears as much as that CEO dude Lee Soo Man’s idols get breaks.” Joy agreed.

“Look, I’m fine.” Seulgi concluded, settling back on her seat. “Maybe its just Jongin rubbing off on me finally. He cried thrice as much as I did when he made me watch this.”

Yeri snorted. “President Kim cries over chick flicks?”

President Kim is human.” Seulgi retorted. “And is probably releasing two percent more estrogen than any of us do.”

The girls broke into laughter, and the atmosphere lightened again.

“How are you two, by the way?” Wendy asked. “Might as well talk about our boyfriends if we’re having a girls night—I mean, you barely talk about him in general.”

“We’re fine.” Seulgi responded quietly, grabbing the last handful of popcorn in the bowl they left on the floor. “Everything’s fine—great, actually.”

“You don’t seem too happy about that.” Irene pointed out, cringing at her best friend.

“No, no, I am.” Seulgi shook her head, as she leaned back on the couch. “It’s just. Weird, I guess.”

“Like you guys have zero problems?” Joy questioned. “Zero? Not even one?”

“Hm,” Seulgi thought for a brief moment, chewing on the popcorn before swallowing. “Other than the fact that all our refrigerator has is chicken, waffles and salted caramel ice cream, nope nothing.”

The girls nodded and chuckled in response. Irene and Wendy feeling rather envious of the seemingly ideal relationship of their boss and their friend. “Oh hey!” Wendy started. “How’s the…”

---

Jongin choked on his vodka for a moment, grabbing the nearest napkin he could get his hands on, harshly coughing in the process. “What did you just say?”

“I asked, how’s the ?” Luhan repeated, laughing at Jongin’s reaction.

“Lu,” Baekhyun groaned, throwing a chip at Luhan’s face. “You don’t just ask a person that. Even if you are drunk.”

Jongin nodded hastily in agreement, running the napkin all over his mouth and taking a sip of water while he was at it.

“Why not? We’re all guys here.” Luhan pointed out.

Jongin side-eyed Sehun who was busy getting more ice from the kitchen.

“What? Sehun?” Luhan huffed, gulping down another shot. “It’s fine—as if he could ever answer with anything other than nothing-as-great-as-Luhan now that we’re—“

“Stop right there, Lu.” Sehun firmly demanded, as he walked towards the table again and took his seat back next to him. “And keep your voice down, your people in Beijing can hear you, what more me from the kitchen.”

“That’s how he always is when he’s wasted, Sehun.” Chanyeol sniggered, shuffling the cards and fixing the rest of the chips to be distributed again.

“It was just a simple question, Jongin—I’m telling you, Sehun doesn’t mind. Don’t you, Hun?” Luhan wailed, elbowing Sehun’s side.

“He’s definitely drunk,” Sehun agreed. “But he’s actually right. I did tell you it’s all in the past, Jongin. I meant it.”

Jongin stared at him blankly.

“And honestly, I’m curious as to how you’ll respond.” Sehun chuckled, a little reluctant.

Jongin paused for a moment, choosing his words carefully to still be sensitive no matter how many times Sehun says he was fine. “It’s great.”

Luhan cringed at him. The others did too. “Really? Great? That’s how you choose to respond?”

“Great is your answer to ‘how was work?’ or ‘how’s that new burger place downtown?’, it is not your answer to how is with your girlfriend—“

“How do you suppose I respond then?” Jongin inquired. “Oh, with Seulgi’s the most incredible, she’s the best I ever had—“

“Why do you sound so stuck up while you’re talking about this?” Baekhyun questioned, raising an eyebrow at Jongin. “You’re never stuck up with anything--”

“It’s just that I don’t think my life with my girlfriend is in any way appropriate to be put up for discussion.”

The room became silent, surprised at how Jongin responded with more seriousness than they assumed he’d respond with. But despite being completely wasted, Luhan knew better than that. “You two haven’t had in awhile, haven’t you?”

Jongin’s head shot up, glaring at Luhan, and refusing to dignify his question with another response.

But everyone in the room already knew the answer.

And at the other side of Gangnam, a group of girls and one important girl knew it too.

 

 

Author’s Note

Dingdingding we found a problem in their relationship.

No relationship is ideal, not even in the world of fan fiction. Well, at least in my world HAHAHAH.

But hey, I’m back! And yay, a lengthy update. Hope you enjoyed that chapter! The losers known as Jongin's friends are back. And it looks like Sehun and Jongin actually have a shot at being friends, finally (yay cos sekai is important to me). Anyhow, please do leave comments down there in the comment box and click upvote if you think Soulmate deserves it at this point, thanks a lot for reading. Miss you guys. ♡ See you soon!

PS. I have a question!! What are your favorite parts or scenes of the entire Roommate trilogy? :) Just curious. So I’d know what you guys are into and what I should be writing more hihi.