Chapter 9

Soulmate

Seulgi gripped tight onto Jongin’s hand one last time at the end of the staircase right before they turned towards the kitchen and the backyard where all the noise was coming from.

“Seulgi!” A warm smile, with a warm voice greeted the both of them.

Minah unnie!” Seulgi greeted back, rushing to her sister-in-law’s side and towards her embrace.

Minah tightened her hold on Seulgi. “It’s been too long.”

Too long.” Seulgi sighed, gesturing Jongin who was silently standing in the back with his hands in his pocket to come closer. “Unnie, this is Jongin. Jongin, this is Seunghoon oppa’s wife.”

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Jongin.” Minah initated a handshake, one Jongin appreciatively took. “I’ve heard a lot about you. The pictures she showed me do you no justice, my dear.”

“The pleasure’s all mine, noona. And is that so?” Jongin questioned, lightly elbowing Seulgi next to her to which Seulgi maturely responded by sticking her tongue out.

“Hmm, how’s my favorite sister-in-law doing?” Minah asked, untying her apron and hanging it on the oven behind her.

“Don’t be silly unnie, I’m your only sister in law.” Seulgi pointed out.

“Exactly.” Minah winked playfully. “But hey, you look like you gained weight. Finally.”

Jongin passionately nodded next to Seulgi, agreeing that his girlfriend looking healthy was something he fully supported. “Probably the dress,” Seulgi pointed out. “It’s so tight, I can’t breathe. I told you my own mother despises me.”

“You know that’s not true.” Minah chuckled quietly; lightly patting her sister-in-law on the shoulder before bending down to open the oven to get what they assumed was what she was waiting for to cook. “Seriously, it looks good on you.”

“Well, enough about me,” Seulgi waved her off. “How’s my favorite brother doing?”

“You have two brothers.” Minah winced, raising an eyebrow.

Exactly.” Seulgi said, mocking her tone earlier. “Seunghoon oppa, how is he?”

Minah laughed quietly, raising the silver tray up after putting on a pair of mitterns, a newly cooked roasted chicken settled on top of it sizzling in the heat, the fragrance filling the air. “My husband is doing quite well.” She replied, Jongin rushing to her side to help carry the noticeably heavy tray. “He actually just very recently scored another business deal-- you’d probably have a lot to talk about with him, Jongin-ah.” She said, gratefully smiling at Jongin who was now carrying the chicken before she lead them towards the backyard. “I’m sure you two would get along.”

“I hope so, noona.” Jongin responded, as Minah held the door to the back open for him.

“Where is that favorite bro of mine by the way, by the way?” Seulgi questioned noticing his brother wasn’t in the garden with the rest of the family who were all now settling down on the dinner table, except their mother who was probably busy preparing something else inside. The garden was lit with a few old Christmas lights, adding another source of light besides the full moon shining on them from up above. It wasn’t anything extravagant, but it looked like a home. It sure felt like a home, Jongin thought to himself.

“Right here, Seul.” Seungri interjected, flashing a cocky smirk and leaning back on his seat as if the answer was completely obvious.

Seulgi rolled her eyes and disregarded him taking a seat at the center of the table after waiting for Jongin to arrange the tray on the table, next to the rest of the infinite number of cooked dishes. Their parents seemed to have really went all out tonight. “Seunghoon went out to buy some dessert, Seulgi.” Their father responded, seated at his usual seat at the edge of the table.

“Can we eat already please?” Seungri whined, practically hopping on his seat while picking up his utensils and banging it on his empty plate impatiently. “Seunghoon’s going to take three years again.”

“I’m right here, hyung.” The door behind them thudded open, Seunghoon entering. Jongin immediately stood up out of respect (and paranoia). Seulgi snickered, still unaccustomed to his boyfriend acting the way that he was, as Seunghoon walked towards her.

“Oppa!” Seulgi squealed purposely. “I missed you, oppa!”

Seunghoon embraced his little sister and smiled, his eyes crinkling noticeably even behind the lenses of his glasses, the exact way Seulgi’s would, Jongin noticed. “I missed you more, superstar. How’s the idol life treating you?”

“I don’t know, ask my boss.” Seulgi joked backing away, tilting her head over to a frail Jongin on her side. “He’s practically Hitler, I’m one of his Nazis--”

Jongin’s eyes enlarged. “That—that’s not—true, I’m—“ Jongin stuttered, not knowing how to defend himself, surprised only to see Seulgi’s big brother laughing to himself.

“It’s okay, Jongin,” Seunghoon assured him. “If anyone’s a dictator in your relationship, it’s probably my sister.”

Yah—“ Seulgi cut herself off, remembering that she actually respected this brother.

“I’m Seunghoon,” Seunghoon grinned at him, stretching a hand out, one Jongin immediately shook and noticed the firm grip. He’s definitely a businessman, Jongin noted, remembering his many previous meetings with men with tones and handshakes similar to Seunghoon. “I saw your company’s numbers on the stocks this morning, quite impressive.”

“I have good employees under me.” Jongin modestly claimed, even pocketing his hands, Seulgi cringing at him from the side. “And even better idols.”

“That’s one good boss, you have Seulgi.” Seunghoon commented, nodding with approval. “How I wish mine appreciated us that much.”

“He better be one,” Seulgi murmured under her breath. “Or he’ll be sleeping on the couch.”

Jongin heard but was too in awe of Seulgi’s brother, instantly realizing why Seulgi adored him. So in awe that he barely noticed a little girl was nudging the cloth of his jeans on his knee. “Excuse me Mr, who are you?”

A smile spread on Jongin’s face, as he knelt down to match the young girl’s height. “I’m Jongin,” He cheerfully answered. “What’s your name, pretty girl?”

The little girl’s cheeks turned pink, hiding behind Seunghoon’s long legs. “Jongin, this is my baby girl,” Seunghoon replying for his daughter, Seulgi cringing at her niece, surprised at her reaction. “Momo, Jongin’s your aunt’s new friend.”

Momo,” He repeated out loud. “What a pretty name for a pretty girl.” Jongin said, still smiling widely at Momo whose cheeks were now evidently red. “How old are you, Momo?”

Momo shyly raised up one hand and one finger, apprehensively counting six with her eyes.

“I see.” Jongin nodded.

“Uncle Jongin’s a ballerino, Momo.” Seulgi let her know, sure that this was something her niece would be interested in, still quite astonished considering she was never aware of Jongin being fond of kids in the first place as she watched her boyfriend’s face beam. “She’s been taking ballet classes at my old school for the past two summers, Jongin.”

“Is that so?” Jongin’s tone noticeably lightened even more, wiggling his eyebrows at Momo who was obviously glowing at what Seulgi said too. “You must be the best in class.”

Of course, kid’s got my genes.” Seulgi exclaimed, sneering.

“And mine.” Seungri interrupted, his mouth now full of chicken, unable to wait any longer.

Momo suddenly stepped back from her dad’s legs and twirled on her little toes. “Waaaah,” Jongin did a round of applause, still squatted down. “Definitely the best.” Momo’s face brightened, confidently doing another pirouette; imperfect but completely and undeniably endearing.

“Okay now that everyone's well acquainted,” Their mother entered the garden, the steel door bumping against the wall behind it. “You all better start eating before everything gets cold.”

“Or before someone swallows even the table whole.” Seulgi whispered to Seunghoon referring to Seungri behind them who was unquestionably minutes close to consuming the entire meal prepared for them even before everyone took their seats. Everyone, besides Jongin who a certain little girl was now practically ogling over.

---

And for the rest of the night, Momo never left Jongin’s arms. And Jongin seemed to be genuinely out of complaints.

They were now back in the living room, all warm in front of the lit fireplace enjoying the hot chocolate Seunghoon purchased earlier. He just came from the kitchen to fill up his and Minah’s mug, walking back to the room noticing Momo snuggled up on Jongin’s lap on one of the couches. “Sorry Jongin,” He apologized for his daughter upon passing by, clapping a hand on his shoulder while squinting at his daughter. “Just let me know if you’re tired already, okay—“

“No, no hyung,” Jongin argued, shaking her head. “I’m enjoying her company as much as I hope she’s enjoying mine.”

Seunghoon smiled at him, grateful. “Seems so.” He said, just as Momo fed Jongin a marshmallow, which was supposed to be in her mug of hot chocolate already. Seunghoon chuckled to himself as Jongin willingly swallowed it before handing his wife her mug and walking back to his seat next to his sister.

“Your daughter’s hogging my boy.” She frowned, crossing her arms.

“Grow up, you have him for the rest of your life.” Seunghoon teased.

Seulgi stuck a tongue out at him, a habit she’s seem to have re-developed due to being back home and being the a maknae again after a long time.

“You found yourself a good one, Seul.” Seunghoon said, taking a sip from his mug but keeping his eyes on his sister.

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows at Seunghoon. “That’s what you said about Sehun last time.”

“That doesn’t mean I don’t mean what I said this time any less.” Seunghoon argued.

Seulgi kept silent, knowing her brother could be everything except insincere about the things he says.

“He’ll be a great father one day.” Seunghoon joked, wiggling his thick eyebrows at her; both of which resulted in an immediate punch from her younger sister. “Ow, god, you have got to stop working out and dancing and doing all that idol stuff, you can murder someone with that fist if you ever decide to do that again—“

“Don’t be a baby.” She scowled, cringing at him even more. “That’s my job.” Seulgi glanced at her boyfriend, the true baby known as her niece now falling asleep on his lap, looking completely content. Jongin momentarily glanced back, smiling at her silently while pulling the little girl closer to him. You found yourself a good one, Seul. She repeated the words of her brother to herself—wholeheartedly agreeing this time, deciding to ignore the vibrations of her phone on the table next to her and just enjoy this time with her family whom she’s missed so much.

 

 

Author’s Note

The equal balance of fluff, angst, and smu------ is coming. *winkwink*

Hope you enjoyed that chapter!

And I hope you’ve all enjoyed the year that’s passed. Thank you for being a big part of my 2015. Happy, happy, happy new year to you all! :) ♡♡

 

PS. I hope you’re all staying tuned to Vitus as well. Reya and I are slowly reaching the as well. It’s a great year for fan fiction, indeed. HAHAHAH.

PPS. And please remember January 27 is our official SeulKai day. (because it’s exactly halfway between Seulgi and Jongin’s birthdays—Jongin: January 14, Seulgi: February 10)