Chapter 11

Soulmate

Seulgi felt a hand clap her shoulder, taking her attention away from the view of one of the Busan rivers set before her. “What took you so long? The bathroom’s right there--” She immediately asked, whirling around to face Jongin, seeing two ice cream cones in his hand. “Oh.”

“Saw it on the way here.” Jongin said, with a warm smile, handing the cone he got for her. “Got you your fave.”

Seulgi stared at the light brown scoop she was certain was salted caramel as usual, but also found herself looking at the cone closer to Jongin. “What’d you get for yourself?” 

“Choco Mint,” Her boyfriend responded, lifting up the pale green scoop up in the air, tiny dots of brown on it. “My fave, this time. Since all we have in the loft is yours.” He teased.

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows at him, apprehensively taking the ice cream he bought for her but still staring at his cone. “Can I try it?” Jongin was just about to take his first when she asked.

He paused for a moment, a little puzzled. “Yeah, sure.” He said, stretching the ice cream closer to her for easier access. 

“Hmm,” Seulgi tasted the seemingly odd combination in . “That’s pretty good, why didn’t you ever let me taste that before?”

Jongin’s expression straightened. “Because all you ever insist we buy is salted caramel, and you make this face every time I request otherwise, and—“

“Okay, I get it, I’m a terribly person, yeah, sure, okay.” She waved him off, savoring the last bits of chocolate and mint in , subtly her bottom lip.

Jongin continually stared at her staring at her ice cream cone, sighing. “Fine, do you want it?”

“Really?” Seulgi beamed, immediately handing him her own cone with no second thoughts. “Thank you, my not-so-terrible person of a boyfriend.”

Jongin watched her practically devour the helpless scoop of ice cream once it was in her hands, chuckling to himself as he took a small bite of the flavor he’s been eating for what felt like the past decade of his life. “So,” He said, glancing at the scenery behind them, the sun just about to set at the far end. “Anything particularly special happen here?”

“Nothing really,” Seugli said the moment she swallowed, turning around after wiping with the back of her hand. “Just thought you’d like it here, considering how much you like the Hangang river back home.”

“Really?” Jongin said, whipping his head towards the direction of the people surrounding them. Everywhere they looked, there seemed to be a couple caught in an intimate moment or merely just being next to each other. “No special someone ever took you here? Seems like a Busan cliché, from what I can tell.”

Seulgi looked over to one of the couples Jongin’s gaze was on, the girl suddenly leaving a quick peck on the boy’s cheek. “Exactly.” She stated, irked at the utter public display of affection. “Cliché? PDA? Neither are things I’m particularly okay with.”

Jongin couldn’t find it in himself to disagree; knowing that the most affection Seulgi agreed to in public was holding hands. He also recalled how she blatantly refused to speak to him for a good whole week after he dropped her off at the airport a few years back, confirming to the entire world that they were dating with one stolen kiss smack in the center of quite a number of cameras. “So, where did your dates take you then?”

“No dates.” She answered with no hesitation, the last of her ice cream before biting into the waffle cone.

“None at all? Like zero?” Jongin gaped, practically dropping the cone in hand.

She nodded, attention obviously focused completely on the dessert she was seconds close to finishing.

“That can’t be true,” Jongin asserted, shaking his head. “I mean, look at you.”

Seulgi raised an eyebrow, pausing in her movements. “Dear god, please don’t say anything gross again.”

“I’m just saying,” He claimed, taking a bite of his own dessert before it all melted away. “If I were a high school boy, and I saw you, I’m pretty sure I would have asked you out.”

“That’s because you’re my boyfriend.” Jongin cringed, as Seulgi mumbled the words through her chewing, swallowing the last of her first taste of the wonder she now knew as Choco Mint ice cream. “And because, I just didn’t like boys in general back then. I mean, yeah there were a couple guys who asked me out but none of them were relevant.” She explained, the last remnants on her lips. “Sehun was my first, remember.”

“Was he, really?” Jongin speculated, as he took a few more bites.

“Really, Jongin?” Seulgi furrowed both her eyebrows at him, crossing her arms over her chest now that she’s finished her food. “Do you, of all people, want to bring up dating histories? How about you? How many were there, huh?-”

All irrelevant.” He cut Seulgi off, copying her tone earlier. “Except for one.” He claimed with a rather arrogant wink, reeling in closer and poking the tip of her with his free hand. Seulgi brusquely pushed him away before he got disgusting again, leaving the topic behind. A cold gust of wind passed by, making Seulgi loop an arm around Jongin’s. It still surprised Jongin up to this day whenever she chose to make the first move if it was intimate. But he finished his ice cream, and freely allowed Seulgi to comfortably lay her head on his shoulder and into the crook of his neck as they walked by the river.

“I meant that, you know.” Jongin whispered, the further they got. “Every gross thing I say, I always mean it--”

“I know.” Seulgi mumbled simply, snuggling closer to him for warmth as the night arrived and the cold craved more attention. Jongin let her. “Hey.” Seulgi suddenly called out, rising from her position. “Let’s take a picture.”

“Hmm?” Jongin hummed in question, turning his head towards her.

“We haven’t taken a single one during your visit here, let’s take a picture.” Seulgi demanded more of requested, as she rummaged inside all her pockets. “Where’s my phone?”

“Check your back pockets.” Jongin suggested, watching her silently.

“It’s not here.” Seulgi groaned.

“You must have left it at home.” Jongin said, taking out his own phone. “We can use mine instead if you really want one.”

She gratefully grabbed the phone and lifted it up in the air after switching it to the front camera. Jongin quickly draped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, resting his chin on her shoulder, smiling his best smile at the camera.  Seulgi did the same. It honestly didn’t take much effort though, all they felt like doing right now was smile.

Seulgi clicked it a few times until she was satisfied, Jongin just quietly smiling. She put down the phone to inspect their already taken photos, more than content at that point, smiling to herself with Jongin doing the same from behind. Until a few water droplets fell right on top of the home screen of his phone. They both looked up, realizing it was starting to drizzle. And it didn’t seem to be getting any weaker. Seulgi instantly returned Jongin his phone and he hastily shoved it inside his coat’s pocket. He grabbed her hand and started to run, but Seulgi stayed put, still staring at the rain which was obviously about to pour hard. Everyone else in the area was already running away, looking for shade.

“Hey, come on, let’s go,” Jongin insisted, lifting the hood of his coat up over his head with his free hand and tugging on hers. “You’re going to get sick again.”

But instead, Seulgi did the exact opposite of what she was supposed to do and definitely the exact opposite of what Jongin was expecting. She stepped closer, stood on the tips of her toes, throwing her hands over him again and kissed him full and hard. Jongin was caught off guard for a moment, before Seulgi carefully backed her head away. Jongin let his eyelids flutter, droplets of rainwater falling from his bangs. And once he completely opened his eyes, he saw his girlfriend smiling up at him despite how strong the rain was gradually becoming, and despite how soaked she’s obviously become under it. And Jongin thought the sight was familiar but above everything, he still found her absolutely breathtaking.  “I always loved that certain cliché,” Seulgi let him know, grin reaching the heavens. And Jongin couldn’t help but return the smile, and kiss her again.

They ended up running pass what seemed like was already a typhoon, thanking whatever supreme being was watching over them that Seulgi’s house was just close by. They left their shoes outside, shoved off their coats, entering what was obviously an empty house and ran up the stairs towards one of their rooms as rapidly as they could, leaving their wet footprints all over the wooden floors of the house. Seulgi leaned on the guest bathroom’s sink after sliding off her extremely soaked sweater leaving her in her tank top, flicking away the water that she could from her face and watched as Jongin rushed to get towels from the one of the cabinets. Jongin stood up, directly in front of her, and wiped down the sides of her face all the way down to her now bare arms. And Seulgi just continued to watch him, the scene oddly feeling quite familiar.

“There.” Jongin announced, dropping the towel back to his side. “All dry--”

“I love you.” Seulgi blurted, staring directly at him. “I love you, so much.”

Jongin’s head jerked up, surprised. His girlfriend seemed to be full of surprises today.

She gently smiled at him. “I just thought I’d let you know.” 

Maybe, it was time he surprised her, Jongin decided once he stepped closer and pressed his lips similar to the way she did earlier, but more tender this time. She quickly caught on, reciprocating his every move. “Where are your parents?” He questioned beneath the kiss.

“Out.” Seulgi practically moaned as she felt Jongin’s hand slide under her wet shirt. “Won’t probably be home soon because of the rain.”

Perfect.” He faintly growled, Seulgi holding in a gasp at the sound. His hands were caressing all over the place by now, hitting all the right spots, cherishing the smoothness of her skin and when she least expected it, his fingers twisted around the hems of her shirt and tugged it off of her effortlessly, removing his in the process as well. The need to just keep kissing her grew stronger upon catching sight of her bare skin, and so he satisfied that need. He satisfied it indeed. Seulgi felt herself being lifted up, but could only focus her attention on the inciting sensations simultaneously jolting all over her as Jongin’s tongue danced over her neck, once she felt a pillow beneath her head. Jongin moved down, hands wandering all over her, Seulgi’s fingers clutching onto the bed sheets, soft moans leaving her lips. But just when she was about to completely surrender to him, Jongin lifted himself up and rose back up to her face, leaning on his elbows to support his weight above her. Their eyes met, and his smile widened. “Beautiful.” He whispered, wiping a drop of water off her cheek, still trying to momentarily figure out how all of this felt like deja vu. “Absolutely beautiful.”

And for the rest of the night, Jongin let her know just how beautiful he thought she was. The way he thought and knew she deserved to find out.

---

The following morning, Jongin woke up, not to the smell of coffee, or to the sound of noise from downstairs, or the warmth of the sun. Instead, he woke up to the sound of still the continuous drizzling, silence and the warmth of the love of his life next to him. Well, at least he expected he would. He sat up, greeting the empty room before him. He sighed, a smile still on his face just merely thinking about the previous night, before pushing himself off of the bed to quietly grab the closest shirt he could find to put on above the only boxers he could find to wear. He could tell the house was still quiet, Seulgi’s family must have been stranded somewhere due to the rain like she assumed. He was just walking towards Seulgi’s room figuring she must have gone there just when she heard a long beep from downstairs.

He promptly walked down, realizing it was the house’ phone, Mr. Kang’s voice suddenly invading the silence. “Seulgi, Jongin,” His voice spoke from voicemail. “Sorry we couldn’t make it home, the typhoon was too strong and it was too dangerous to drive. But don’t worry about us, we’re all okay. All safe and dry. Hope you both are as well, we’ll be back soon.Beep. The call ended.

The silence didn’t fully return though as Jongin heard a few more beeps coming from the living room. He followed the beeps discovering it was Seulgi’s phone on one of the side tables, severely vibrating as notifications flared up on her lock screen. All Jongin managed to read was Irene’s name before he heard the sound of coughing. Not just regular coughing, but coughs so congested that they seemed to come from the core of the earth. Harsh ones, most definitely not anything normal.

He rushed upstairs, dropping Seulgi's phone back to his side, towards where the coughs were coming from knowing it must have only been coming from the other person in the house he was looking for. He ended up right in front of Seulgi’s bathroom, but once he arrived the noise already toned down and vanished. “Seul,” He knocked softly. “Hey, is everything okay?” 

He tripped a few steps backwards upon reading, and upon looking up, seeing his girlfriend on the floor, gripping onto the toilet seat, unknowns coming out of with her hand on her stomach. Completely horrified, Jongin was just about to rush towards her when to his surprise, the door slightly creaked open and he felt another beep from Seulgi’s phone, pulling it up out of reflex, and catching a glimpse of the first notification.

He unconsciously tripped backwards once he read even just a few words, the sound of the toilet flushing and the faucet being opened arrived. Seulgi stepped out of the bathroom, hastily wiping the bottom half of her face. She looked up, immediately seeing her boyfriend staring right at her, hurriedly dropping her hands to her side. “Oh hey, you’re up.” She said, forcing on a smile, coming up with the quickest explanation she could think of. “Sorry, did I wake you, my stomach was hurting-- must have been the ice cream—“

“What is this?” His voice was stern shocking Seulgi, as he raised up her phone, the notification crystal clear on the screen.

“Seulgi, please. Answer your doctor’s calls. I know it’s scary but it’s confirmed now, you can’t run away from this.”

Her jaw gradually dropped on its own. And for the first time in a long time, all she did want to do was run. Away from all her fears and everything that was finally catching up to her. Even, away from him. Most especially, away from him.

"Jongin." She rendered speechless, feeling her hands tremble at her sides. "You should sit down for this--"

"I don't want to sit down, I want to know what's happening to my girlfriend." 

Seulgi gaped at him, shaking her head. "It isn't that easy--"

"What's isn't easy? What could be so scary that you couldn't tell me, of all people?" He asserted, empty laughs leaving his mouth as he continually attempted to cover up his own fear. "What did your doctors say? How many have you been to? Is it bad? Because you do know, no matter how bad, we'll make it through it-- we'll make it through anything, we always do--"

"I think I'm pregnant."

 

 

Author’s Note

Happy Birthday to the most beautiful boy on earth, #HappyKimJongin2016. :)

Dun dun dun. Things are about to get very fun. *winkwink*