Four

Unexpected Encounters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I present the Sehun-centric chapter as requested.

 

Sehun began his morning feeling worry knot in the pit of his stomach when he read his girlfriend’s text to him.  

 

I’m coming over. We need to talk. 

 

It was short, curt, and those words just don’t have a good history upon news bearing. At first Sehun had thought he was overreacting and worrying over nothing, but the voice in his head wouldn’t shut up and his thoughts wouldn’t calm. He hoped there wasn’t anything wrong. 

 

Jongin left for classes quickly upon feeling the off-kilter mood, leaving Sehun alone with his girlfriend in the doorway. She looked beautiful as always, even with her messy hair, comfortable clothes, and her void bare of any signs of makeup. Taking her hand and giving it a light squeeze, Sehun guided her into his bedroom, the both of them taking a seat on his bed.  

 

“You’re so pretty today,” Sehun told her, meaning every word because she really was quite beautiful and Sehun loved telling her whenever he could.  

 

Lu Hua smiled meekly, grateful for the compliment, but still there was something eating her. Sehun watched as her soft hands ran along her pants and her eyes studying the lint in the bedroom carpet.  

 

“So, Hua,” Sehun began, not sure how to start the conversation. “Um, you said you had something to tell me?” 

 

“Um, yeah,” Lu Hua said, brushing a stray hair from her face. She took deep breaths but she still said nothing. She felt nervous and it didn’t help to ease Sehun’s worry.  

 

“Take your time,” he said, sensing her hesitance.  

 

She nodded silently and Sehun waited a few more minutes. Finally, Lu Hua sat up straight and cleared , ready to speak. “I…This is a little difficult for me to say aloud, so please be patient,” she said and Sehun gave her a look in understanding. “Um, I have had time to think on this for a while now, I’m ready to say it. You’re the first one I’m telling this to because you deserve to be the first to know, Sehun.” 

 

“Okay. I appreciate that.” 

 

“I would like it if you kept an open mind,” she added, her voice becoming quieter due to stress as she continued.  

 

Sehun nodded once more and just before she was about to speak more, he cut her off quickly as his eyes widened suddenly, “Wait, are you going to tell me you’re pregnant?” 

 

“What?” she squeaked in surprise, her eyes mirroring her boyfriend’s.  

 

“Hua, are you pregnant with my kid?” he straightforwardly asked.  

 

Lu Hua shook her head wildly, waving her hands in front of her to deny the allegation. “No! No! I’m not pregnant!” 

 

Sehun exhaled heavily, wiping his face in relief. “Okay, that’s good. We’re both too young for something like that.” 

 

Lu Hua nodded in agreement. Biting her lip as she gave a sideways glance to him. “Do you…someday would you like to have kids?” 

 

Sehun smiled, nodding. “Yeah, someday I would like to be a father.” 

 

Lu Hua looked down at her lap, clasping her hands tightly which Sehun immediately noticed. She looked to be even more uncomfortable than before.  

Scooting closer and wrapping an arm around her thin frame protectively, Sehun asked softly, “What is it, babe?” 

 

Swallowing hard, Lu Hua sniffed as she began breaking under pressure and Sehun held her tighter. “I…God, Sehun, you really don’t deserve me springing this on you like this.” 

 

“Are you going back to China?” Sehun asked, expecting the worse. He knew her parents had been thinking about it before, but that was months ago and she hadn’t brought it up since.  

 

“No, um…,” she said, taking a final breath before spitting it out. “My entire life, I’ve never felt like I was the person my parents wanted me to be; dressing in pretty clothes and having long hair. My mother and I used to argue about it and we’ve never really seen eye to eye.” 

 

“I remember that one time she made you wear that blue dress for your family portraits,” Sehun added, recalling when she’d called him, all upset about her mother controlling her.  

 

Lu Hua sniffed. “Yeah. I wanted to wear slacks like dad was.” 

 

“You would’ve looked perfect either way.” 

 

Lu Hua smiled in appreciation. Sehun noticed her eyes starting to tear up and her nose turn pink with each sniff. “I just never felt like the person they pegged me as. A pretty girl, you know?” She continued, her lips. Looking up at Sehun, she noticed that he didn’t seem to be catching on. “Actually, I’ve never actually felt like…a woman.” 

 

Sehun wasn’t sure what to think. He wasn’t sure if this is what she was planning on telling him, if this was it, but judging by the way the girl in his arms was trembling with anxiousness and near tears, it finally starting clicking in his head.  

 

Oh.  

 

“I’m not a girl, Sehun,” Lu Hua announced, voice shaking tearfully as Lu Hua said it. “I’ve never felt like one, I’m not one. Every time I look in the mirror, I feel so confused and disassociated by the person looking back at me.” 

 

Sehun took a deep breath, struggling to comprehend the information being given to him. Clearing his throat as he stared forward at the wall in slight confusion, “So you’re saying…you’re…?” 

 

“I am a man,” Lu Hua stated bravely.  

 

Sehun dropped his arm from her—his— shoulders and Lu Hua rubbed his eyes of the tears threatening to spill.  

 

Sehun did not know what to think. Hearing things like this wasn’t foreign to him, he’d read the articles and shared posts on Facebook, and while he never felt indifferently to it, he never thought he’d ever find himself in a situation to someone coming out to him. His girlfriend, nonetheless.  

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter