Five

My Baby Wu

“Hey Kris, your kid should be at home right?” the girl asked “Do you think she’s late?” she asked again as she look around the bedroom.

“What do you mean?” Kris replied through the phone “She should be back already. Is her bag there? Maybe she went to the park” he said though he sounded uncertain.

“Nope. No sign of her bag but her phone is here” she said when she found a phone lying on the bed.

“She left it this morning” he told her.

“That means there’s no way of getting in touch with her” she mumbled “wait, did you leave something for her to eat?” she asked when she thought that it was lunch time.

“Yeah. I left lasagne for her in the microwave. It’s for her lunch” he said and the girl quickly ran to the kitchen.

“Lin? What’s wrong?” he asked in panic.

Lin sighed “She’s not back yet” she told him.

“What?!” he screamed “What do you mean?!”

Lin turned around “The food you left is untouched” she said and rushed outside “I’ll go search for her at the park. Are you free? Go look for her at her school” she said in a hurry.

“Alright. I get it. I’ll search at her school” he said “clear my schedule. I need to find Amy” Lin heard and assumed that Kris was talking to his manager.

She was about to end the call when she remembered that she doesn’t know how Amy look like. “Kris! I don’t know how Amy look like” she said.

“I’ll send you a picture of her” he said and ended the call.

A few minutes had passed and she received a picture from Kris. “She’s so cute” she mumbled and shook her head “better find her quickly” she said and started running to the park nearby.

**********

It had been an hour and Lin could still not find Amy. She pulled her phone out and dialled Kris’s number.

“Did you find her?” she asked as soon as he pick up the call.

“No. My manager and I had been entering from store to store and the places which we think she might go but we found nothing” he sounded worried “did you go back to the apartment? Maybe she’s back” he said.

“I’m on my way. The last time I checked she was not there” she answered.

Kris sighed heavily “When was that?” he asked just to confirm.

“About 15 minutes ago” she press the password “one moment” she said and called out for Amy as she entered the apartment.

“Is she there?” Kris asked quickly. He knew that the answer is a no when he heard nothing from her. “Just continue looking for her” he said and ended the call.

Lin released a heavy sigh and muttered to herself “Where are you little girl?”

***********

It was around 5 minutes after the conversation Lin had with Kris when she saw a girl who looked like Amy walking towards the apartment building, holding a bag of what seemed like vegetables in her hand.

Lin rushed to her and grabbed her shoulder. The little girl turned around and cocked her head to a side.

“May I help you miss?” she asked with a questioning look.

Lin took in a deep breath and asked “Are you Amy?” as she stare into the girl’s eyes.

“Are you perhaps aunty Lin?” Amy asked her back and she nodded her head “Oh, you’re early!” she exclaimed and grab Lin’s arm with her free hand “Come, let’s go to my house” she said and dragged her to the apartment.

“W-wait!” Lin tried to stop her and when they do, she asked “What do you mean by early?” she frowned.

Amy blinked a few times “You said you’d come around 2.30” she answered simply.

“Your class ended at 1 right?” she asked for confirmation.

“Yes” she said as she nod “but today class ended early. I went home and saw that dad left lasagne enough for one and thought that there’s nothing for you to eat so I went out because there aren’t much in the fridge. I only realised that I left my phone in the room when I wanted to message dad to inform him that I went out in case you decided to come early” she explained.

There was a short pause “Let me have some time to process everything okay?” she said with a blank face “I feel like there are too many things in my brain right now” she admitted.

“Let’s just go home. You can think for as long as you want but I need to get back home and keep this in the fridge. It’s heavy” Amy said and dragged Lin with her.

“So… you… you went to buy food?” Lin asked as they walked to the apartment.

Amy nod as an answer “I thought you might want to have lunch too” she said.

As they enter the apartment, Lin received a phone call from Kris. “Shoot! I forgot about him!” she grumbled as she answer the call.

“Hey Kris, she’s here” she said before Kris could say anything.

“She’s back?! I’m on my way!” he said and cut off their conversation.

**********

Kris reached home within 5 minutes after receiving the news. “Amy?” he said as he rush to her room.

“Dad! I’m in the kitchen” she said so, he run to the kitchen.

“Oh, Amy!” he said and hugged her “Where were you? You made me worried. You weren’t home when Lin arrived” he told her.

Amy smiled “I went to buy some groceries” she said.

“For an hour?” Kris asked.

Amy nod and chuckled “I wasn’t sure what to buy so I end up taking a lot of time” she hugged Kris and said “sorry. I forgot the phone so I didn’t get to tell you. Sorry for making you worried.”

Kris shook his head and kissed her forehead. “Did you have lunch?” he asked to change the subject.

“I was about to eat when you arrive” she said.

Kris lifted her up and placed her on the chair. “Go and eat your lunch” he said.

Amy nodded and took a spoonful. “Daddy should eat too. I bought a few packets of lasagne just now” she said “I made some for aunty Lin. We should eat together” she suggested and looked around.

“What are you looking for?” Kris asked.

“Where’s uncle manager?” she asked “We should ask him to join us” she said.

Kris smiled at her statement “Alright. I’ll call him to join us” he said.

 

A/N

Done! I hope the next chapter won't take that much time.