Nine

My Baby Wu

[Amy’s POV]

It took two weeks for the article to be forgotten by everyone. It took two weeks for me to see my dad again. It took two weeks for me to return home.

For two weeks, I had to stay with Aunty Lin. Her house was big. No, scratch that. Enormous. Yes, that’s the right word to describe her house. The place could fit all of daddy’s friends, his previous teammates and there are still space for more. There’s a swimming pool at the backyard and a pretty garden near it. Even with all that to entertain me, I still feel lonely without daddy around.

The last time I saw daddy was the morning when I answered the phone call from some weird guy. Aunty Lin sent me to school that morning and she was also the one who picked me up in the evening. She told me that evening that I have to live with her until the reporters are no longer after daddy. I protested at first because I don’t want to be away from daddy but then I remembered that I have to be more matured. I have to think of the bad things that I might cause to daddy so I listen to Aunty Lin.

I have been keeping updates on daddy’s news these past two weeks.  The first two days since the article become a hot issue, daddy had been giving the reporters the same answer. “She’s just an old friend of mine” daddy would say. The next few days, daddy had ignored all the questions given to him. Well, if it’s me, I would have done the same thing. I mean, come on, they have been asking the same questions over and over again. The reporters are not creative at all.

One week since the article was released, the fans have mostly believed in daddy but the reporters are still bugging him. The longer the reporters are with my dad, the longer we have to be apart so Aunty Lin decided to come to the rescue. She made a press conference, revealing herself as the CEO of a certain big company and also daddy’s old friend that was in the article.

“He’s just an old friend of me and we met that day by chance” she said to the reporters “since it’s been a while since we’ve met each other and probably can’t meet each other again because of our schedule, we decided to have some coffee. Unfortunately, there seem to be flies around while we were in the café” she called the reporters flies out of anger.

This plan of hers was a great success because the reporters believe in her and stop following daddy. Although there are some that are still trying to get the truth out of daddy, it didn’t take long for them to stop. Unfortunately for Aunty Lin, the plan had caused her to lose her freedom. She had to take the task of a CEO seriously and was burdened with tons of workload that she had ignored all those times.

Of course she tried to run away from it like how she did before. This time, she failed to do it because she have her father monitoring her 24/7. Even if she want to escape, the bars her father created this time is hard to break free from.

On the other hand, the bad thing that happen to Aunty Lin is a good thing to me. I might sound cruel but this way, Aunty Lin will not have time to babysit me so it will be easier for me to go for modelling later, if and only if I got chosen.

So, here I am. Standing in front of the door to my home after two weeks, waiting for daddy to open the door after ringing the bell twice. Once the door opened, I was greeted by a tall giant who seemed like he had just woke up from hibernating.

“AMY!” the giant screamed happily and lunged to hug me “I missed you so much!” his voice cracked and started sobbing.

“Daddy, I miss you too but you’re crushing my bones” I told him and he quickly released me from his hug.

“Sorry” he said sheepishly and open the door wider for me to enter “I didn’t know you were coming back today” he said while waiting for me to take off my shoes.

“Well, Aunty Lin said that it’s safe for me to return now so here I am” I told him “by the way daddy” I said as I walk in “you look like a giant who had just woke up from hibernating” I pointed to his hair “especially with your hair looking like a bird’s nest” I said and entered the living room.

I heard him grumbling and trying to fix his hair. I would have laughed and help him with fixing his hair but the view in front of me had me turn around and walk back to the entrance.

“Amy? Where are you going?” he asked when he saw me walking out of the living room.

“Uhh… I’m sorry sir, I think I went to the wrong house” I said while ignoring the giant.

He quickly grab my arm “What are you talking about? This IS our home. It’s the same place we were living in until two weeks ago” he said with worry in his eyes.

I shook my head “Sir, my home is clean. The living room I live in is clean and tidy. Daddy don’t like our home to be dirty. I think I went to the wrong house” I told him.

His eyes widen at my words “I’m so sorry Amy” he said “this is our home. I’m just. I… uh… how should I say this? I’m sorry the living room is a mess but uh… I wanted the house to be clean so that you won’t get sick but when you’re not here, I just don’t feel motivated to clean the mess I made” he explained.

I nod my head slowly as I take in what he had just said. “I don’t get what you were talking about but I guess ‘daddy is just lazy to clean the house’ is what you’re trying to say?” I said and saw him nodding his head quickly.

I smiled at him and told him to go lower. “Let’s clean the living room then” I said as I fix his hair.

He smiled and hugged me “I’m sorry” he said.

“What for?” I asked, feeling confused.

“For making a mess” he answered with a pout so I kissed him and said “Don’t worry, I still love you daddy” before walking back in.

I don’t know how long it took us to completely clean the living room but I can feel my back aching already. I left him for two weeks and the living room looks like it was robbed. With the messy hair daddy had when he open the door, you could say that he was hibernating and didn’t even realise a typhoon had destroyed his home.

I walked to the kitchen to wash my hands only to be met with the sink filled with instant ramen cups. I turn to daddy who was laughing nervously.

“Sorry, I forgot that I haven’t thrown those things away” he said while looking at his feet.

I look at the sink again to make sure that all of it are ramen cups. “Are those the only thing you eat for two weeks?” I asked him.

“No” he said so I sighed in relief. I was so worried that he’s only eating instant ramen. It’s not good for his health.

“I eat the vegetable ramen too. It’s quite delicious” he stated happily.

“Here I thought you eat something healthy” I mumbled and throw the cups in the bin. 30 cups in total. Great! He had instant ramen for every meal.

“Whoa! I eat a lot” he sounded surprised.

“Did you eat them for every meal?” I asked him for confirmation.

He shook his head. “I don’t eat breakfast. I just have them for lunch and dinner. Sometimes I would eat them at midnight” he said.

“You don’t eat breakfast?” I asked again “Why?” I look at him in the eyes for answer.

“It’s lonely eating breakfast alone” he said with a frown “why are you asking me all this?” he questioned me.

“From now on, you are not allowed to eat instant ramen without my permission and you have to eat breakfast” I said sternly.

He smiled at me before saying “Yes ma’am” while doing a salute.

I sighed and walked to my room. “At last, I get to be on my own bed” I muttered as I open the door to my room. I was greeted by a messy bed and dozens of untouched mail all over my study table. Some of the mails are even on the ground.

“Daddy! What happened to my room?!” I asked him, my eyes never leaving the mess in my room.

I heard him rushing from the kitchen “I’m sorry. I was sleeping here when you ring the bell and I knocked on the table which caused the mails to fall to the ground” he said as he quickly grab the pieces that was on the ground.

“Why were you sleeping in my room?” I asked him.

He turned to me and blushed “Because I missed you” he said softly.

“Have you been sleeping in this room for two weeks?” I asked him again. This time, I got a nod as the answer.

I sighed and hugged him. “Tonight, we’ll sleep in your room. Leave the mails on the table. Daddy wait for me in your room. I’ll clean this room first before going to your room” I told him to kick him out.

“Okay” he said as he walk out but then he entered the room again “Oh, my friend Luhan wanted to talk to you. Is that okay?” he asked.

“Yes” I told him and he walked out of the room. I picked an envelope open it. I smiled after reading the content. “Yes! I got it!” I whisper yelled.

The reason why I wanted daddy to be out is because I saw the letter and I was right in assuming that he didn’t read any of the mails he received. It was the letter from the magazine company that I went to audition. If it was not for that letter, I would have forced him to clean the entire room. After two weeks, I got accepted.