To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 5

As Hyun Joong made his way through the crowded, dark hallway towards the meething room, scantily dressed es from all sides threw themselves up against him, trying to get his attention. But unlike with other men, they weren't after his money.

Not even glancing at them, Hyun Joong pushed through until he was past the door, where the Boss and a few others waited.

"You're late," someone said, but Hyun Joong didn't even acknowledge it.

With a wave of his hand, the Boss signaled everyone else out.

"Congratulations. You completed another job," the Boss complimented. "You did exactly what I wanted you to do."

"What are you talking about?" Hyun Joong questioned. He had obviously failed in killing the victim at the mansion.

"I just wanted to scare the man. I even told him you were coming." The Boss twirled around a pair of strange scissors in his hands as he spoke, sticking his tongue through it every now and then. "Now he'll definitely agree to the contract."

Keeping his calm, Hyun Joong didn't say anything. But now he understood. With one last death glare at the Boss, he turned and left the room. 'What a stupid meeting. He called me down there just to tell me that?'

Once in his car, Hyun Joong sped away into the night. What angered him the most was that he had scared Ha Neul by getting hurt on this stupid job. He'd even made her cry. He could still remember her face when she asked him what had happened. He'd caused her to worry for no reason and couldn't even give her an explanation. 'Useless.'

--

"Hyun Joong, do you want some hot cocoa?"

It had been getting colder and colder everyday, and today Ha Neul had wanted to come out. She said she loved the winter air.

They were parked by the river that ran through a small town, looking at the ducks floating by. "Sure," he answered, still leaning against the car.

"Okay," she said, "I'll be right back." Smiling, she skipped happily to the cafe across the street.

As he watched her prance away, he suddenly felt a burning desire to hold her hand. Would she even let him? Lately they've become closer. She would constantly make him laugh with her childish tantrums and he would about all the times she showed her true feelings towards him.

Unknowingly, she was fixing him, inside and out. To finally be able to laugh and smile naturally was an accomplishment for him. And living with her was fun. She was original and unpredictable, someone he wouldn't tire of. And fortunately, she seemed content being with him too.

So he could tell she liked him, but how much? Enough to...

"Where's the girl?" The sudden interruption caused Hyun Joong to tense up. He turned around to find a young man about his age standing beside him, seeming to be enjoying the scenery. Hyun Joong remembered him instantly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he lied. Silently, he prayed that Ha Neul would take her time and not come back so soon.

This person beside him was Kim Kyu Jong, the grandson of one of the richest men in Korea. Half a year ago his grandfather was killed and it was all over the news. No one knew who the killer was or where he went, not even Kyu Jong, but he would never forget the deformed face of his grandfather's murderer.

Somehow, Kyu Jong had found out that Ha Neul was the sister of the murderer, and although he knew she had nothing to do with it, he planned to capture her to force the killer to reveal himself. He was the one who'd shot her two months ago, but Hyun Joong had decided not to let her fall into the hands of someone who would hurt her.

"I know you took her," Kyu Jong said. "Just give her to me and you won't ever have to worry about her again. I'm sure you're tired of taking care of a stranger."

'He couldn't be more wrong.' Hyun Joong thought, but showed no signs of disagreement. "Sure I saved her," he said instead. "But what makes you think she's still with me?"

A long moment of silence went by as Kyu Jong pondered. "So you don't know where she is?" he asked, turning to face Hyun Joong directly this time, daring him to lie.

Hyun Joong stared right back into his eyes, a sign of telling the truth. "No."

Kyu Jong gave a small nod, then got into his car.

Hyun Joong watched as he sped away, and let out a sigh of relief as soon as the car was out of sight.

"Hyun Joong?" He turned around to see Ha Neul right by his side, holding two foam cups steaming with cocoa. "Here," she held one out towards him, smiling brightly.

Slowly, he took it, but instead of drinking it, he put it on the top of the car.

Ha Neul pouted. "Don't you want it?"

Without answering, Hyun Joong took her drink and set it on the car too. Then he grabbed her hand and pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her. He her silky hair as he held her body tight against his. He could feel her warmth making its way through his body and up to his heart. "You're okay," he whispered, more to himself than to her. "I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise."