To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 10

[RECAP]

"How can I forgive you so easily?"

---

Suddenly without warning, Hyun Joong began moving closer with his head tilted a bit to the left and his hands lifting my face up to meet his.

What's happening? I could feel his warm breath on my face as he inched in. Is he...? He couldn't! He's not trying to kiss me... is he?

Without thinking, I automatically closed my eyes, waiting for it. This was neither the right place nor the right time, but now I couldn't pull myself away.

Minutes passed before I opened my eyes again. Hyun Joong gazed at me with smiling eyes.

"It's because you love me," he simply answered.

 

He hadn't kissed me. I sat there confused. Because I love him? That's the reason I forgive him? It couldn't be true.

"And how would you know?" I defended. "Don't be so narcissistic--"

I was interrupted by the sudden touch of Hyun Joong's lips against my own. My eyes widened in surprise and my heart pounded in my chest as he pulled me into his arms, a hand cradling the back of my neck. His sweet scent enveloped me, turning my mind completely blank. The gentle way he kissed me was enough to melt away any remaining anger I had. I was momentarily happy. Is this what happens when you kiss an assassin?

When he finally pulled away, I realized I had been holding my breath the entire time. I slowly breathed in, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"See?" he said. "That's how."

"I..." I didn't know what to think, and I didn't want to. Deciding whether I should be happy or guilty just stressed me out even more.

Wearily, Hyun Joong gave me a small smile and patted my head. "Eat up, your spaghetti's getting cold." Getting up to leave, he turned back once more. His eyes seemed a bit sad... like he was longing for something. I wanted to say something to him, but before I could think of what, he was already shutting the door behind him. This time, he didn't lock it.


Hyun Joong sighed and slumped down on the sofa, flipping his laptop open. Ha Neul seemed to be under so much pressure. She probably didn't want to accept him. Was he going to lose this friend forever? This friend that meant the world to him? If only he hadn't become an assassin...

Bing! An email popped up on the laptop screen. He clicked it and opened the attached file.

'Thought you'd kill me?' was printed in large bold letters across the top. Hyun Joong scrolled down to see a picture of Park Jung Min still in recovery at a hospital. 'Well, think again.'

Not being very rational, Hyun Joong immediately got up and grabbed his gun, checking to see if it had enough bullets, and tucked it behind his back. He threw on his jacket and scarf and hastily ran out the door.

But how could Jung Min have sent the email if he was still in recovery? The thought didn't cross his mind.

 

After getting the room number from the nurse at the front desk, Hyun Joong raced towards Jung Min's ward. Pulling out his gun and kicking the door open, he was faced with a large curtain dividing the room in half. The rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor from the other side made him pause. This is Ha Neul's fiancee he was going to kill. Again. Was this the right thing to do? Is his job more important than her happiness?

Taking hold of the curtain, he jerked it back to find... nothing. There lay a bed, empty except for a handheld tape recorder, proudly shouting beep beep beep.

Stupid. How could he be so stupid? He immediately dashed out of the room. It was obviously a trick, one that he'd fallen for. He quickly started his car and sped back the way he'd come. That Jung Min must be there by now.

 

"Ha Neul!"

I was startled by the panic in the person's voice. Who was calling for me? Hyun Joong? But it didn't sound like him... Although strangely familiar. Doors began slamming open and shut down the hallway, and I jumped at the noise.

"Ha Neul! Where are you?" the man shouted. More poundings, closer this time.

Suddenly it stopped. He was standing in front of my room now. I clutched the base of the lamp in my hand, ready to protect myself. The knob slowly turned and I cautiously moved away from the door. With the barrier swinging open on its rusty hinges, the person on the other side was revealed. Relief flushed his face and he began to smile. "Jung Min." His smile widened as I uttered his name. "You're not... dead?"

Am I dreaming? Or am I so filled with guilt that I'm hallucinating?

"No..." He advanced towards me, pulling me into his arms, squeezing the life out of me. "How could I leave when you're in danger?"

Danger? But I was completely safe.

Realizing the situation, Jung Min stood up, grabbing my arm. "Let's get out of here." He pulled me out of the room and towards the front door, but my feet felt too heavy to move. As we neared the exit, I unknowingly held back, lingered. A framed picture of Hyun Joong caught my attention. I had took it some time ago when things were perfect and understandable. It was the one time he allowed me to take his picture. I wish I could bring it with me.

My arm was given a beckoning tug and I reluctantly followed, not taking my eyes off Hyun Joong.

I'm leaving, and I don't even have anything to remind me of home.