To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 13

I think I've aged 25 years within the past hour. I've never felt time go by so slowly or torturingly. I sat in the waiting room, praying that whenever the doctor came out of that emergency room, his words wouldn't be "we tried our best."

I flipped through a magazine, reading every small print and examining each picture to the tiniest detail. I had to keep my mind busy; anything to keep from thinking of Hyun Joong. But despite my diligent efforts, I couldn't keep the image of his cold, lifeless body out of my head.

Aside from that, stupid memories flooded my mind's eye. Memories of the way he resisted smiling at my clumsiness, the way he would mock me until I cried. Would I not see that anymore? My throat tightened at the thoughts and I fought to keep my tears locked up from the prying eyes that stared at me from across in the room.

But it was impossible. Hot tears slipped from my eyes and dripped off my chin onto the magazine. Once the first drop had broken the barrier, there was nothing to hold me back. It was as if a dam had collapsed and the water came pouring out. I gasped to keep my breath and looked helplessly around. But there was no one around. I crumbled, burying my face in my hands, and wished for a shoulder to cry on.

 

Getting out from his car, Kyu Jong walked through the hospital doors and stopped dead in his tracks. He hated the smell in this place. Cringing, he stepped up to the reception desk and asked for directions to the ER. "Take the elevator to the third floor and it's the waiting room down the hall to your right," the receptionist said. "Are you looking for a specific patient?" she asked. "If so, I can look him up for you."

"Uh... no." He wondered himself why he was here if there was no one he wanted to look for. But then again, he was looking for someone, just not a patient. Kyu Jong followed the receptionist's directions to the third floor but before he even reached the waiting room he could hear angry voices from down the hall.

"Would you just SHUT UP?" A woman in her mid-thirties stood in front of Ha Neul, an enraged look on her face. "Do you think you're the only one here with problems? Quit your sniveling and stop trying to make everyone feel sorry for you!"

"Excuse me, is there a problem?" Kyu Jong asked, stepping between Ha Neul and the woman. Nurses stood around watching, all sharing the same scared look as if they've just been attacked.

The angry woman looked up at him with a red face. "Yes, there is. Do you know what I've been through this week? How many times I've had to tell myself to be strong? Well, this girl does not have the right to be making a scene here. All her crying and sniveling is NOT helping any of us!"

Kyu Jong turned to Ha Neul. Her face was filled with sadness and guilt as she tried to control her sobbing. He turned back to the woman. "Ma'am... I'm sure you're an understanding person. This girl, she's young and probably doesn't have the composure that you do. Please don't mind her."

His words seemed to have worked magic, for the woman's anger dissolved almost immediately. "Fine. Just take her and leave if she can't be quiet." Kyu Jong nodded appreciatively, took Ha Neul's arm, and led her out into the hall. He let her go and she fell against the wall, her body limp and powerless.

"You shouldn't have let her yell at you like that," he said, looking down at her disappointedly. He felt mad knowing she didn't even try to protect herself.

"What was I supposed to do?" she whispered, her eyes faraway. "When he's gone, what am I supposed to do?"

It must've been his guilt taking over, because Kyu Jong suddenly wanted to do everything in his power to comfort this girl. "I'll be here," he suddenly said, surprising even himself. But what good would that do if I don't mean anything to her?

Ha Neul's crying ceased as she looked up at him. Why? she wanted to ask, but at that moment, it didn't matter. She was just glad someone had come to rescue her from the deepening hole. She moved into his open arms and buried her face in his chest, tears of gratitude soaking his shirt.

 

"Excuse me, Miss. Are you here for Kim Hyun Joong or Park Jung Min?"

I opened my eyes to find a doctor dressed in green standing in front of me; Kyu Jong was nowhere in sight. I must've fallen asleep and was brought back into the waiting room. "Yes, h-how are they?" I straightened up quickly and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Well, Kim Hyun Joong's condition is stable now and he's been transferred to a ward. But Park Jung Min... his condition is a bit more serious since this is his second major injury. He'll be kept in ICU until further notice." At the mention of Jung Min, a tremendous amount of guilt swelled up inside me. His words were like weapons of accusation, and I was the accused.

"What is Kim Hyun Joong's room number?" a voice asked. Kyu Jong had miraculously appeared beside me.

"Fourth floor, 415." The doctor gave a nod and quickly walked back into the emergency room.

"Come on, let's go." Kyu Jong handed me a hot cup of cocoa and led the way towards the elevator.

I followed him slowly, taking my time with each step. Jung Min's condition occupied my thoughts as I neared Hyun Joong's room, but when we entered, I was completely overwhelmed by relief and nothing else mattered. I immediately rushed to Hyun Joong's side. His body was connected to numerous tubes and machines and he looked unhealthy. The heart monitor repeated a pattern that didn't seem too reliable and the breathing mask made me wonder if he had much time left. Kyu Jong pulled up a chair and gently guided me into it. "Don't look so worried. The doctor said he's stable," he reminded.

I nodded but was unable to keep my eyes off of Hyun Joong, so I sat waiting for him to wake up. I didn't know it was possible to miss someone's voice so much.

The soft flutter of fingers against my hair brought me back to reality. I awoke to find Hyun Joong laying in bed, staring blankly at me.

"Hyun Joong... You're awake." My words came out as a whisper, afraid that anything loud would scare him away again. Unexpectedly, he turned his head the other direction and closed his eyes. "Hyun Joong, are you okay?" I stood up and leaned over him, trying to get a glimpse of his face, to see if he was in pain. He ignored me for nearly five minutes before I made a move for the emergency call button. Suddenly, he turned back and grabbed my wrist with his good hand.

"Why are you still here?" he demanded.

I stared at him, bewildered. It didn't cross my mind that he didn't want me here, just maybe that he had some sort of amnesia and didn't remember me. Seeing my confusion, he strengthened his tight grip on me. "Leave."

Seeing the tears brim my eyes, he let go of my hand and turned away again. An imprint of red encircled my wrist. Not knowing what else to do, I gathered my things and inched towards the door, hoping for him to say my name, call me back. But as I stepped into the hall and took one last glance at him, it was evident that he would not. I closed the door quietly and shuffled down the hall, unsure of my destination.


It was really hard writing this chapter! Probably because the actual MV already ended and now I have to make up an ending, so I thought this chap was kinda crappy. But to make up for it, I will update within this week, so don't leave me, guys! lol, thanks for reading. ^^

-Buju