To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 2

I sat down at the table as he laid the tray in front of me. It was our usual routine, he would make me something to eat and I would stay quiet. But today, I didn't feel like staying quiet.

"Where do you go everyday?" I asked, breaking the silence. For the past few days he was always gone, but for some reason I never tried to leave. I would wait until he came back everytime.

I stuck my fork into the salad and lifted it to my mouth, pretending I didn't really care, that I was just trying to make conversation. He looked at me with surprise, but didn't say anything.

I swallowed hard. Maybe he didn't want me prying into his life, and maybe he was getting angry with me.

Suddenly he got up and made his way around the table to me, an annoyed look on his face. He placed a hand on the back of my chair, giving an irritated sigh, and leaned down until his face was inches from mine. A shiver ran down my back, but not from the cold. I was scared.

It was a while before he actually spoke, and I could feel his breath on my neck. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

What did he mean by that? I thought.

"Try me." I said turning to face him. That's when I realized he was much, much closer to me that I had thought. Our noses were practically touching and I could see the outline of the black pupils in his dark brown eyes. I gasped, pulled away from the sudden closeness, and saw the corner of his lips twitch into an amused smile. My cheeks burned in embarrassment.

"Wanna go out for ice cream?" he suddenly said.

A voice inside me shouted Yay! I was glad I didn't have to spend another day cooped up here. But on the other hand, why was he being so warm and... human all of a sudden?

"Uh... okay." I got up and put on a light jacket, feeling a small tingling of excitement.

--
As we walked out to the ice cream stand, a bouncy ball rolled towards us from across the street and stopped against Hyun Joong's foot. A small voice cut through the air. "My ball!" I looked up to see a little boy about four years old running to us. "Can I have my ball back, please?" he said politely reaching to Hyun Joong who had picked up the ball.

"No," was his instant reply.

Tears began b in the little boy's eyes and his lips began to pout. "But it's mine..."

Hyun Joong crouched down to eye-level with the boy. "If you promise me something, I'll give it back."

The boy rubbed his wet eyes but seemed to have calmed down. "What?"

"The street is very dangerous. Do you promise to never run across the street again?" he asked, pointing to the road. Nodding enthusiastically, the boy promised. "Good." Hyun Joong handed him the ball and in addition, walked him back across the street to his frantic mother.

I couldn't help but feel proud. So this cold, unfeeling Hyun Joong who didn't bother to talk to me for the last month did have feelings after all.

"Hey." When I looked again, Hyun Joong was standing in front of me, a concerned look on his face. "What's going on up there?" he asked, tapping my forehead with a finger.

"Huh?" I must've been so engrossed in my thoughts that I'd zoned out. "Um... You're really nice." I said. That familiar feeling of safety made its way through me again.

His lips turned down in disappointed as if he was scolding himself for revealing his soft side. With a sigh, he turned and walked away with his hands in his pants pockets. I hurried to keep up with his long strides.

--
We sat on a bench in the park eating our ice cream cones; silence surrounded us. I cleared my throat, "So... do you come out for ice cream everyday? Is that why you're always gone when I wake up?"

He raised an eyebrow, puzzled. "This is the conclusion you've come to?"

"No... but... I do want to know why I don't recognize you."

He stared at me, expressionless.

"I feel so blank, Hyun Joong. I don't remember anything..." My heart was racing and my head began to hurt. "The only thing I know... that I'm sure of... I know you saved my life."

Sighing, He raised his face to the sky and shut his eyes, thinking. "Isn't that enough?" he whispered wearily. It was like my question had drowned the energy out of him. For the first time, he didn't reply because he didn't know what to say.

But his words confused me. How could it be enough? I needed to know why the oldest memory I have is the pain from the bullet in my arm. Why don't I have any childhood memories? Why don't I recognize this town?

But then... I guess he was right. It didn't really matter who he was or who I am. The only thing I needed to know is that he's the most important person in my life right now. Maybe I already knew that, maybe that's why I've never left him.