To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 15

Hyun Joong sat in his living room with gun in hand, turning it over and over, examining it. He also had another gun slipped in behind his jacket and his boots hid a couple of knives. It was the third day he's been able to live in peace and quiet, but he wasn't going to let his guard down. He was surprised his home wasn't already ransacked upon his return.

He glanced outside into the black night, and suddenly there was a slight creek from the ceiling - footsteps. They finally came. Hyun Joong quickly ripped the sling* off of his arm, threw it behind the couch, and ran to the nearest exit. He slid out the balcony door and jumped off, landing smoothly on his feet.

After running a couple hundred meters, a shout came from behind. "Hey, there he is!" A mob member had noticed him and now all were after him. Hyun Joong sprinted around the corner and into the parking garage nearby. He could hear the mob coming after him, but they weren't close enough yet, so he hid behind one of the many cars that would soon be thinned to ashes.

As the running footsteps neared, Hyun Joong pressed himself against the car and covered his ears. A large explosion echoed through the garage as one of his pursuers tripped over the planted wire. Screams of agony and pain carried through the enclosed space, but he did not feel pity for them.

Despite the ambush, the mob did not stop. They continued to swarm in, all with one target - their boss's killer, which they believed to be Hyun Joong. A few minor bombs went off, followed by painful groans, and the already dim lights in the buliding flickered out. On cue, the assassin slipped skillfully through the darkness and with each kill, the blast of light that came from each gunshot guided him to his next victim. By the time the emergency lights kicked in, more than half the mob, about fifty or so people, were laying on the ground, dead or injured.

Seeing him standing still in the middle of the chaos, a mob member jumped out from behind a column and swung an iron fist at him. Hyun Joong took one step back and pointed the barrel of the gun at him, pulling the trigger. He then threw the empty gun away and pulled a knife from his boots, stabbing the next person who came after him.

 

"How are you doing?" I whispered softly, setting myself down in the chair beside the weary Jung Min. He had just been admitted to a ward, but could be taken back to the intensive care unit at any moment.

"Better." His sick, pale face still held a smile for me, but somehow it wasn't the same. It was more... understanding, and less enthusiastic.

We looked at each other in silence. I wanted to tell him my true feelings, about canceling the marriage, but I knew his condition wasn't ready for that. I wondered when I would get the chance.

"Ha Neul..." Jung Min lifted his hand up weakly, beckoning me in closer. I scooted the chair in and listened carefully to his frail voice. "It's okay if you don't want to marry me."

I pulled away and stared at him in confusion. It wasn't disappointment that overwhelmed me, but surprise, and amazement. Why would he suddenly say this? It was like he could read my mind and wanted to save me the trouble of bringing up the subject.

"You could've told me earlier, you know..." The understanding smile was still on his lips like a father who was ready to give away his daughter.

I lowered my eyes to the ground in shame. I've known this man all my life and I at least owed him the truth, yet I had to keep it from him. I wish I could melt into the floor.

"I want you to be happy."

"But..." It wasn't right. I didn't want him to worry about my happiness. I didn't want him to be kind. I wish he would be cruel and abusive so I wouldn't feel so guilty leaving him.

"I'll still be here," he reassured. "Go if you need to. And if you regret your decision, I'll still be here." His kindness brought tears to my eyes. Who am I to deserve this kind of love?

"But I don't want you to be here," I cried. His face fell, having been rejected by me. "I don't want you to do that for me."

Although in deep sadness, Jung Min still looked at me with persistance. "Wouldn't you do the same for me?"

I stayed silent. I didn't know if I could.

"Just go," he said encouragingly. "Hurry, before I change my mind."

I could see my reflection in his eyes becoming clearer; his tears were gathering. "Thank you." I quickly got up and rushed out the door, not wanting to cause him any more embarrassment. His heart was breaking as I hurried outside and hailed a taxi, but at least it wasn't bleeding anymore.

 

With the last of the murderous mob gone, Hyun Joong began heading home without a single scratch except for the hospital wounds. Nearing the exit, he was faced with a dark figure standing in his way. The figure raised his gun at Hyun Joong and pulled the trigger.

A fraction of a second before the shot was fired, the assassin leaned back and was already falling out of the bullet's path. The bullet soared past him and struck a mob member square in the forehead. Springing back up, Hyun Joong could now see the man who had fired the shot - Kim Kyu Jong.

Hyun Joong was in awe for a moment, seeing who had come to his rescue. But then he remembereed Ha Neul. She must've been left unprotected now that Kyu Jong is here.

"Why did you come here?!" he shouted angrily. Although it was never discussed, there was an unspoken agreement between the two that Kyu Jong would stay and look out for Ha Neul while Hyun Joong came to deal with the boss's vengeful followers.

"Do you think it would be worth it if you died just now?" Kyu Jong reasoned as the killer stepped up to him and yanked his shirt collar. "What would Ha Neul do then?"

Hyun Joong's anger ceased immediately and was replaced with resignation. "She's better off without me," he said, letting go of Kyu Jong and continuing on his way back to the apartment.

Kyu Jong trailed behind, still trying to convince him. "Ha Neul needs you! Do you know that the past week she's been standing outside your room every day? She wouldn't even eat! Or did you not notice how much weight she lost?"

Nothing could stop the cold-hearted assassin, for he had regained his emotinal shield. "She needs to grow up then."

"No, you're the one that needs to grow up. Take responsibility for what you've done!"

"I've done nothing."

They were nearing Hyun Joong's apartment and they both knew that once he went in, he would pack his bags and leave. They were up the stairs and standing in front of Hyun Joong's door and at last, Kyu Jong stopped his following.

"If you aren't strong enough to fight for her, then just say so." Hyun Joong paused his hands from turning the key in the knob. "Don't use your dangerous situation as an excuse. We all know you're the best assassin around and if you really wanted to take her and leave, nobody would find you. Not those people who tried to kill you just now, not Jung Min, not even me." His speech was greeted with silence. Frustrated, he said something that was sure to attract some attention. "You're just scared she might still love her fiancee. Well, if you won't go get her, I will."

This seemed to trigger something within Hyun Joong. He glared at Kyu Jong. "She's nothing to you," he reminded.

He scoffed. "So? I'm pretty sure I'm something to her. After all, I've been there for the past ten days when neither you nor Jung Min could." He raised his eyebrows in an uncaring way and began to walk off.

Hyun Joong held his breath and tried to calm down. This Kim Kyu Jong couldn't possibly be thinking of taking advantage of Ha Neul, could he? But why does it matter? She can take care of herself.

Using all his strength to restrain himself from tackling Kyu Jong, he opened the door and was greeted with the most wonderful scent, a scent that had long faded into a faint shadow. It was her.

Did he miss her too much? Was this just a hallucination?

He proceeded in slowly, scared that he would find nothing. As he pushed the door further in, the smell floated out to greet him, and he breathed it in, forgetting all his anger. He heard the clanking of a spoon in a cup, and the aroma of chocolate mixed with the beautiful scent.

Stepping into the kitchen, he saw a girl with her back turned to him, stirring hot chocolate in a mug. He didn't dare touch her. Would she fade away?

When she realized she wasn't alone, the girl turned to face him. At first there was a startled look, but then it was replaced with a smile. "You never drank that hot cocoa I bought for you." She lifted the mug in her hands toward him. "Try this."

Hyun Joong reached out hesitantly, still not believing that she could really be here. "Ha Neul..." He took the mug from her hands and set it down gently on the countertop.

"Hey..." she looked down at the steaming cocoa, disappointed. Then suddenly Hyun Joong pulled her into his arms and hugged her tight. He buried his face in her hair and took a deep breath. She really is here.

His heart seemed to swell with happiness with her in his arms again. And this time, she had chosen to be with him. He decided what Kyu Jong said was right. He would take her away from this place and they would never be found again.

An assassin's needs are that simple. He doesn't need money, and he doesn't live off the fear he inflicts in others. He doesn't even really need all the skills he's acquired throughout his training to survive. He only needs love to bring him out of his trance, and love to give him oxygen. And this girl in his arms was the one that broke through his barriar. She was the only one willing to love an assassin.

 


*sling - In the last chapter I said HJ's arm was in a cast. I now realize I made a mistake, it was supposed to be a sling because you can actually slip out of it yourself as opposed to a cast where you have to get it removed by a doctor.

So what do you think of my ending? Should I do one more chapter, the epilogue? You guys vote please. Your opinion counts! Thanks for reading and all the comments that have encouraged me to keep writing. ^^ It really does matter to me. All 47 subscribers are loved and I hope you'll continue to follow my works. My next fanfic is Angel In White. Starring Hyun Joong again XD

- SINCERELYBuju -