To Love An Assassin

To Love An Assassin

Chapter 11

"Huh? What do you mean you won't do it anymore?!" Irritated by the yelling from the other side of the line, Hyun Joong shut his phone and tossed it onto the couch. He'd meant what he said. To put it bluntly, he wouldn't kill anymore. After all, it was the reason Ha Neul left him, right?

Hyun Joong went into the bathroom and splashed his face with freezing cold water to clear his head. It's been over a month since Ha Neul left... but her shadows have't faded away even for a moment. She was still around in every corner of his mind, and every time he closed his eyes.

He missed her, but what could he do? There's no reason to look for her; she's happy now, and probably safe, with her fiancee. Who knows, if he went to find her, the minute he shows up she might already be wearing a white dress, veil and all, ready to say "I do."

 

"Ha Neul, are you okay?" I looked up to see Jung Min kneeling down beside me, his face concerned. "You've been like this since you came back..."

True, I've been zoning out quite a bit, but I couldn't help it. I tried to enjoy what life should've been like before meeting him, but it's getting harder and harder to forget. My hand found it's way to the ring that hung from my neck; I discovered it not long after moving back in with Jung Min. It was the only thing I had left of the man who saved my life. I realize now that he must've given it to me, because he's never once asked for it back. Unlike me, an assassin wouldn't overlook something so important.

"I..." I took a deep breath, concealing the sadness in my voice. "I'm fine."

Seeming somewhat satisfied with my answer, Jung Min gave a half-hearted smile. "Then let me ask you again," He reached inside his jacket pocket and fished out a little velvet box. Flipping it open, he smiled widely. "Will you marry me?" Strangely, I didn't feel the same happy sensation as the last time he asked. Have my feelings for him already changed?

"I know, lasttimeIdidn'tevengetyouaring..." he said, chuckling in embarrassment. "But this time I'm going to do it right. So... what do you say, Ha Neul?"

"Uh... Huh?" He was speaking so fast I could barely understand him.

Instead of repeating his sentence for me again, Jung Min's face lit up and the smile on his face widened. Without a word, he pulled me into a hug and squeezed tightly. "Let's get married next month! I'll plan everything, don't worry." Although I couldn't see his face, I could still feel his aura of happiness surrounding me.

Could he have possibly mistaken my question for an answer? If so, how will I break it to him that I never intended to say yes?

 

Winter is gone and now spring has arrived, bringing happiness and life along with it. However, that's not how he felt. Squatting down beside the river, Hyun Joong tossed a few pieces of bread into the water and watched the ducks paddle over. Ha Neul would like it if she was here.

"Where's your girlfriend?" Standing beside him and facing towards the river was a girl about Ha Neul's height. In fact, everything about her resembled Ha Neul. It couldn't be... did she come back? Slowly rising to his feet, Hyun Joong examined the girl closely. Her hair, her voice, her profile; it all seemed so familiar. He couldn't be mistaken, right? Reaching across the space between them, he gently touched her shoulder, but before he could even see her face, smoke was blown into his face.

Coughing violently, Hyun Joong staggered back and bent down, hands on his knees. He hated smoke, or anything related to fire for that matter. But he hadn't even noticed the cigarette in the girl's hand earlier... If it had been a gun, he'd already be dead. How could he be so blind to his surroundings?

"You two look good together, and happy, the last time I saw you. Don't tell me you already broke up?" Taking another puff from her cigarette, the girl smiled and motioned to the cafe across the street.

So that's why I ended up here after driving all night. Ha Neul came here with me before...

Recovering from his coughing fit, Hyun Joong stood up straight. "You could say that. She went back to him." Now he could see that the girl actually wasn't anything like Ha Neul. Her face was actually much thinner and she was definitely taller.

The girl chuckled. "But she was with you at some point, wasn't she? Doesn't that count for something?"

"You wouldn't understand." Hyun Joong said through gritted teeth. "She's the one who left me."

"Ah... but she looked so happy that day..." the girl mumbled, but loud enough for him to hear. "Especially when you hugged her."

Hyun Joong turned his head as if hearing her for the first time. "Happy?"

"Yes, that's what tends to happen when we're with someone we love," she answered.

Love? That's right. He should at least tell her how he felt.

As if reading his mind, the girl laughed, "Go get her."

Feeling grateful, Hyun Joong nodded and was about to jump into his car when out of the corner of his eye he saw the girl raise the cigarette to again. Retracing his steps, he walked back to her and grabbed the cigarette from between her fingers, dropped it on the ground, and put it out with his shoe. "Smoking's bad for you. You should quit."

Another smile and a nod. "Alright, I will."

Returning the smile, Hyun Joong hurried away and in the blink of an eye, his flashy car was out of sight.