The Start of Her Fall

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Jiu Yi = Aunt Goomi

Suho knew Jieun had already noticed him, but she avoided his gaze and remained still. Jieun's long blonde hair was tousled by the gentle breeze and right above her head was the extravagant congratulatory banner. At this sight, Suho recalled the day of Goomi's burial when Jieun stood exactly like this with her back perfectly straight while holding Goomi's obituary picture in the mortuary; headstrong yet lonely and Suho had the urge to approach her, then before, now again.

"Jieun."

Naeun wanted to say more, but Suho's velvet voice stopped her. She thought it sounded different compared to Suho's usual tone that was always calm and polite. This one was somehow heartfelt at the same time suppressed. Naeun lifted her head, wanting to take a look at Suho, but he brushed passed her, leaving her a blinding white of vision as the sunlight shone down with his absence.

Howbeit, Jieun thought differently from Naeun.

She thought Suho had called out her name awkwardly like usual and the smile from before vanished. It was replaced by the indescribable expression she often saw. She snorted at herself for mistaking Suho was actually giving her such smile when it was for Naeun who was coincidentally from the same direction as her

Lee Jieun, don't make a fool out of yourself.

With a glance to the blue sky, she settled her emotions and turned to look at Suho, giving him her trademark Cheshire smile.

To Suho, this broad smile of hers was frigid and distant, seemingly to close off anyone including him- it was frustrating to find it futile when he tried to reach for her.

Jieun found it funny that she thought it was more suiting when Suho looked at her with the familiar furrowed brows, his narrowed eyes filled with impatience and the pursed lips; the expression that was only for her.

Earlier on, Jieun was too distracted by Suho's changing expression that she oversaw his attire until he was getting closer and stopped in front of her. He was wearing a single colour flannel over a shirt with dark-washed jeans. Jieun took note of how Suho indeed had never worn checkered that both of them favoured after the high school episode.

Suho raised an eyebrow at Jieun's focused gaze on him.

"What are you looking at?"

"Nothing." Suho paused a beat before talking again when he saw Jieun shrugging at him nonchalantly. He felt irritated that she was treating him this carelessly, but he thought it was better to put aside his emotions.

"Let's go back together."

Jieun's mouth hung slightly at Suho's unexpected statement, her eyebrow raised in question.

"To visit your father. My parents went ahead first so they have me to wait for you and go together."

"Oh, I see."

 Jieun remained rooted and fiddled with her ruby ornaments. Of course, if it was not for his parents, he would not be waiting here.

"Come on, the car is here."

Without any respond, Jieun walked ahead of Suho and the evening sun stretched her shadow long and low by her feet, seemingly to indicate the owner of the silhouette was unwanted and vulnerable.

Seeing upon this, Suho could not help but to feel unsettle. He passed by the shadow and with one step of his long stride, then, he was next to Jieun. With that, he looked back and was satisfied that the two shadows merged into one; the loneliness from earlier was gone.

〜❅〜

Kim Ryuhae and Solji were really surprised that the almighty steel man Lee Taewon would actually fall sick and bad too. The Lee's private doctor would check up on Taewon's body temperature every few hours and Ryuhae had suggested him to stay a few nights in the hospital, but Taewon insisted that he was fine. At this, Ryuhae did not say anything further because he knew the reason why Taewon refused.

Taewon literally lived in the hospital during the time Goomi as hospitalized; it was an awful memory which it was understandable that Taewon no longer wanted to take a step into the hospital. Also, the dark times in the hospital had not only affected Taewon, it was quite a toll on the young Jieun from then. This made Taewon, even more, resistant to be admitted into the hospital- he knew once he was hospitalized, her daughter who was already wired because of his sudden sickness might as well become manic and would camp in the hospital, making a hard time for herself.

Taewon was clear of his own health, he might be feverish from time to time, but he knew he was merely overworked and some resting would do him just fine.

Then, Jieun and Suho had come into the room. Jieun asked Taewon about his conditions and such only then she allowed her facial muscle to relax slightly as she vaguely talked about the video competition that she had won.

Like a miracle, Lee Taewon's pale face from earlier was flushed with blood out of joy, he pushed aside the doctor and pulled his daughter towards him cheerily.

"Jieun, go to Daegu and receive your award! Dad will make sure to recover and pick you up at the airport!"

Kim Ryuhae had been one to witness Jieun's growth, he might perceive Jieun as an eccentric girl and one who was not liked by many, but he knew Jieun treated him with an exception, most probably because he was her father most trusted person. Even so, Ryuhae thought it was indeed peculiar that Jieun whom he thought was unworldly and blatantly ignored Taewon's family members other than Goomi, was so passionate towards his own son. Yet, his son who was well-mannered and amiable was exceptionally cold towards Jieun.

Youngsters are indeed a tough nut to crack.

Ryuhae smiled fatherly at Jieun, "Jieun ah, I have always expected to you to have such achievement. You're indeed Taewon's daughter. Even Uncle I, couldn't help but to feel envious of you too!"

On the other hand, Solji's attention had long shifted to her own son the moment he was in the room. She had seen how Suho stole glances at Jieun from time to time and now at her husband's praises for Jieun, A soft smile simply blossomed on Suho’s face with his eyes fixed on the latter. Solji furrowed her brows deeper when she saw Suho’s expression glowed with pride and happiness- as if he was the one who had won and was praised. Nevertheless, Solji smiled instead. Her face bared no trace of displeasure from earlier.

"Don't take pains on such matter, Jieun. You're only going to Daegu to receive an award. Such trip at most would only take you up to two days. Furthermore, Uncle Kim and I are here to take care of your father, he'll be fine!"

Solji said it so firmly that Jieun almost wavered at her words, but it was Taewon who cleared her last worry with a touch on her head as he lovingly told Jieun he would be fine.

What Jieun never thought was that after her short trip to Daegu, she was going to face an irreversible quagmire.

After the Lee's private doctor had decided to call the visiting a day, Suho went back home with his parents. Once Solji slipped into the back of the car, she looked at her reflection in the mirror that was specially installed at the back of the headrest. Then, she moved her attention to her own hands. The slender fingers that were free of cuticles along with the perfectly manicured nails seemed to be even more refine than the diamond ring that was being worn- a pair of hands that belonged to one who was born with a silver spoon. Out of the blue, she spoke, with indifference while still peering at her hands.

"Joonmyun, don't get too attached with Jieun."

Out of reflex, Suho repelled at his mother's statement and pointedly asked, "Why?"

Unwilling to face her son, Solji continued her self-admiring, but her tone dripped with dominance.

"There's no why. Just keep a distance from her."

Suho had always disliked how his mother acted prudently and all noble. Not wanting to tolerate the sight of Solji any longer, Suho peered out to the window. The rows of streetlights that passed by in fleeting moment looked as if the time had hit reverse; Suho was drowned in the flashbacks of the same girl. Despite her ever-changing appearances, that smile of hers, the tingle he felt when her lips pressed against his cheek, her silence, her lonesome appearance, everything about her, he realized, they were all scorched onto his mind, heart.

At this awareness, Suho was certainly more than anything and his resolve had hardened his voice.

“I’ve promised Jiu Yi to take care of Jieun.”

Solji felt like a pricked cat that had its tail stepped on. Suho was clearly her son whom she birthed to, but since young he was only affectionate towards that hateful woman. Unable to keep her calm act anymore, Solji dropped her hands and turned to Suho, her eyebrows raised in vexation.

“What’s with the Chinese term? Whatever it is a dead person has no right to deserve your appellation for her. Don’t mention this lowly woman ever again!”

“Mother!” Solji spoke so fast which Suho only managed to protest after hearing all the insults for Jieun’s mother, but he was glad that Jieun never needed to hear such words. Such suffering he should, at least, take it for her.

Solji was no stranger to her son’s temper; the harsher and blunter she acted, Suho would resist even more. Hence, Solji played the rare motherly card. Her stretched out hand stopped abruptly at when Suho dodged her hand with no hesitation. Solji’s pupils contracted at the memory of her son only allowing the woman to touch his cheeks and head. Gritting her teeth, Solji forced herself to relax and soften her expression more whilst her hand held onto Suho’s. She spoke with utmost earnestness.

“Joonmyun, listen to me. Keep yourself away from Lee Jieun.”

Suho scoffed once he realized his father would never bother to speak a word. With much disbelief, Suho withdrew his hand and climbed out of the car just as it stopped.

Weren’t we suppose to be Jieun’s close family friends? Suho felt as if he never knew the two people he called parents.

Since then, Suho made a beeline to his room and stayed inside. He did not bother to show up during dinner as well.

Kim Ryuhae lifted his head towards the direction where Suho would come in if the latter did and set aside his chopsticks.

“Those two had grown up together. Furthermore, Joonmyun has always been neutral even unfriendly towards Jieun. Aren’t you making too much of a fuss out of this?”

 Solji nibbled on her food and only faintly smile once she swallowed it.

“What do men know? It is precisely they grew up together not to mention Joonmyun being difficult towards Jieun is the problem here.”

“What’s the problem?”

“Who else have you seen Joonmyun being difficult to?”

Ryuhae gave a thought on his wife’s words and only he realized his son had indeed treated no other than Jieun with such attitude. Suho had always been obedient and polite to anyone else, but only Jieun, would make him get angry, flaring his temper as if there was no tomorrow.

It was interesting but at the same time out of place, Ryuhae thought.

Solji picked up her spoon and took a sip of the soup, then completing her husband’s train of thoughts.

“Because of overly fondness ended up confusing with which attitude to face her. Our son is still a child.”

〜❅〜

The news of the infamous Lee Jieun winning the Nation’s Video Competition spread like fire and with the big congratulate banner to be hung on the News and Media building, it would seem unlikely for no one to not know about it. In the meantime, a figure passed by the art building while drilling a basketball carelessly. Then, a string whipped down and coincidentally landed on the figure, causing him to miss the orange ball which rolled to the side. The student who was in charge of hanging up the banner immediately came to the figure to check his condition.

“Are you alright? I’m so sorry! The wind is too strong and I couldn’t get a good grip on the string.”

The student panicked when he recognized the victim of the string banner- the college’s Grumpy, Luhan. He repeatedly explained and apologized, but Luhan’s face that was beginning to show a red streak did not make the situation better. Instead, as if bewitched, Luhan looked more ravishing, or rather lovely with the redness spreading on his fair cheeks. The student who only wanted to apologize, also could not help but to admire Luhan with his ears reddened.

Meanwhile, Luhan was too preoccupied in his own thoughts to pay attention to the apologizing student and his bashful act. He narrowed at the sight of the banner which the words ‘Lee Jieun’ jumped at him, causing the place he got whipped seemed to be burning up more. Luhan patted his throbbing face and merely sidestepped away from the student.

“Whatever got to do with her is definitely nothing good.”

〜❅〜

Suho was relieved not to see Solji’s lurking figure when he came down from the stairs. Ever since his parents spoke of staying away from Jieun, they had been restricting his contact with Jieun and keeping a close tab on his daily activities. Suho still could not get his head around his parents’ intention of doing so when they were almost like a family to Jieun and her father. Nevertheless, Suho was happy enough to think that he could slip away to send Jieun to the airport. Yet, he tensed up and hid himself from the sight when he saw his parents sitting in the living room with a man whom Suho thought was awfully familiar.

Suho grumbled at his parents’ effort of cutting his contact with Jieun, he knew the news of Jieun flying off today could not be kept from his parents.

“Sir, this is what you have asked for.”

“I knew this would be the right job for you since you’re always by Lee Taewon’s side.”

Suho’s ears perked up at the mention of Jieun’s father. Unable to resist his curiosity, he peeped from his hiding spot and saw the man struggling to keep his smile up.

“Sir…then, what I have requested…”

“Don’t you worry, there will be no problem!” Solji assured the man before taking a sip of the coffee gracefully.

As if the place was like a burning hell, the man wanted to leave more than ever.

“Sir, Madam. I’ll be leaving then.”

Kim Ryuhae made no effort to detain him and simply muttered, “Let’s having a good time working together.” But the man was too overwhelmed to the extent he stiffened up and would not raise his hand to shake with Ryuhae’s. The latter merely shrugged and the poor man left in haste as if escaping.

Kim Ryuhae flipped through the document handed by the man earlier and his face could not contain his gleefulness that was close to hysterical.

“With this, the company finally reign over Seoul!”

“Seoul is simply that start off of everything.With him gone, nothing could ever counterbalance with us.”

Solji was certainly pleased but once she placed the ceramic cup on the coffee table, she turned her head in reflex. There, Suho was standing by the stairs. Solji panicked a second and quickly recomposed by narrowing her eyes.

“Didn’t I tell you, you’re not allowed to go anywhere today?”

 “Who was that?” Suho was more annoyed at himself for unable to recall the familiar guest than his mother’s antics.

Unlike Solji, Ryuhae was not the slightest nervous to be seen by his son. He thought that whatever he was doing, it was partly for the sake of his son. After all, what he got, for now, would eventually belong to Suho, hence with a fleeting smile, Ryuhae dismissed his son.

“You will know it soon enough.”

〜❅〜

Lee Taewon was still unwell and unfit to go out, but he insisted on seeing Jieun off to Daegu and along the way, out of convenience, they picked up Kim Heechul which irked Jieun a lot. This was due to the whimsy act of her mentor who was acting all coy and shy, even stuttering at each question by Lee Taewon.

With much effort of promising and persuading from Jieun, only then Taewon agreed to stay in the car and let his precious daughter walked into the departing hall without his accompaniment. Before boarding the plane, Jieun noticed the gray cloudy sky which seemed to be holding up and if not careful, something might burst out; she felt uneasy. In the meantime, Kim Heechul unable to resist anymore and excitedly pulled Jieun to one side.

“Jieun ah! Your father is so dashing!”

Jieun felt discomfort washed all over her and the goose bumps made her skin, even her scalp crawl.

“Does your father accept homo- Ahh!”

Her stomping on her mentor’s foot prevented the further blooming of admiration and adoration in the latter’s eyes at the mention of her father. With that, Jieun left Kim Heechul alone and immediately closed her eyes once she reached her seat to save herself from Heechul’s non-stop nagging. Eventually, Jieun drifted into dreamland and she dreamt of Goomi.

Not once Jieun had dreamt of her mother after she had passed away as if it was all for the sake for Jieun to move on; even the memories Jieun had for her mother were becoming blurred and slowly unrecalled. Yet this time, Goomi was there, in her dream. The flashback of Goomi’s laughing voice and a clear view of her face made Jieun thought the cabin she was in was a dream instead.

In Jieun’s dream, Goomi said nothing, just simply gazing at her with eyes that spoke all of her sorrow and worries. Jieun had thought the countless time of the words that she would say to Goomi if she could ever see her mother again, but now Jieun was mum like Goomi. With her ever adamancy Jieun tried to hide her emotions by up her hands, nonetheless her aloof expression which acted as her mask gradually slipped away, leaving only a daughter who was filled with desolation and bleakness. Then, Goomi shook her head and sighed, lightly which seemed like a mist from the sadness reflected in her eyes and gradually permeated Jieun’s vision until it was all in endless white with the exception of her mother’s pair of eyes.

Right on cue, Jieun awoke from her slumber. She blinked her eyes and tousled her hair while her mind gaining back conscious slowly along with the imprint of her mother’s eyes.

In such rarity, Jieun was able to dream of her mother yet Goomi never said a word except for the unexplainable gaze she gave. At this thought, Jieun’s right eyelid twitched and twitched.

The moment Jieun reached the hotel in Daegu, she holed up in the room and called up room service to save her trip to the restaurant. Jieun made a few calls to Lee Taewon, but it was switched off and when her house phone was picked up by a servant, the servant stuttered that her father did not come back ever since he was out in the morning.

Right now, Jieun could not be anymore perturbed with Kim Heechul’ request of reaching Daegu one day earlier for the sake of ‘consorting like-minded prodigies’ when they could actually just arrive on the day of the award ceremony. If not, Jieun would still be able to keep her father in bed to rest a day more before he would work himself out again like now.

On the day of the award ceremony, Jieun attempted to call her father but it remained dead like previous day and her right eyelid twitched again. Meanwhile, Kim Heechul dolled himself up like a butterfly and posed for cameras that were intended for Jieun. The director who awarded Jieun was a rising star in the entertainment industry and had won a university competition just like her. As Jieun received her award, her right eye twitched to the extent she could not open it. Kim Heechul noticed this and with his little insight, he rattled on his superstitious belief on how twitching of right eye symbolized misfortune. Jieun shot him a glare that seemed to have made his Mohawk shortened by one length and ignored his plead to stay for the after party by dragging him to the last plane leaving for Seoul.

During the trip back to home, Jieun was filled with anxiety because of the trivial belief said by Kim Heechul. She thought of how her father did not pick up his phone for the last two days. Jieun rubbed her right eye, hoping nothing was wrong.

Once she landed in Seoul, she made a beeline to Lee’s Corporate. The first step Jieun had taken into Lee Taewon’s office, a file flew to her feet.

“What I need now is a solution report, not more of papers talking about the ever increasing problems!”

The files sprawled on the floor was the making of Lee Taewon, who was pale in the lips with his face and neck red as if fire burning from inside. Even so, his rage could not prevent his fits of coughing and Jieun’s grip on the crystal medal tightened subconsciously.

“Dad.”

Taewon immediately eased up his expression and tried to contain his coughing, he waved away the higher executives who had remained quiet all this time.

“Dad, is anything wrong?” Not beating around the bushes, Jieun asked straight away and her right eye twitched, painfully.

Taewon felt his forehead, knowing the matter at hands could no longer keep in secrecy.

“The confidential information for a few of the important and big deals of contracts were leaked out by someone, so opposing companies had given these clients better deal which caused us to lose them. We are somewhat facing an economic crisis at the moment.”

“Can it be overcome?” Jieun patted her father’s back, hoping to make him better from the coughing.

“Tricky…but not to the extent of bankruptcy.”

Despite the tone of joking, Jieun knew it was indeed a crisis at the mention of bankruptcy. She never knew much of the complexity of the business industry so she could not come up even with a suggestion, yet comforting was not her forte too. Hence, all Jieun could do was staying still by her father’s side, showing her silent support.

No one to share his burden as he carried all alone and with the addition of his health state, his strong mentality which Lee Taewon had always been proud of cracked when he saw his daughter standing there in silent, helpless. He seemed to have let his daughter knew a tad too much.

With a sigh, Taewon opened up his arms, “Xiao En ah, it’s alright. I can overcome this.” Jieun slipped in naturally to the form of his father’s embrace and nodded.

“I know. I trust you.” I trust my dad who has always done his best for mum and I.

At that, both of them smiled in sync, the heavy atmosphere gone, as if the talk earlier was a trifle matter.

“Why are you back so early? I was thinking of once I’ve finished handling these files, I would go straight to the airport.”

Jieun casually swept past the files on the floor before sticking out her tongue playfully.

“I just don’t like being with Kim Heechul.”

The very one being mentioned sneezed and was walking by the roadside he was left by a certain girl. His flower patterned shirt flailed with the billow of the strong wind, looking like a pair of snapped wings.

〜❅〜

A word of scandal spreads like a spot of oil; it was likely that media outlets were tipped off by some sources, hence, the economic sites and tabloids were all making speculations about the Lee’s corporate economic crisis and the leak of confidential information the very next day. In the campus, many could not wait to mock at the almighty Lee Jieun’s misfortune or rather karma, they preferred to say. Yet, Jieun’s nonchalant attitude like any other day made others doubtful of the truth of the news. Feared of being Lee Jieun’s enemy if they poked her at the wrong side, hence, everybody was still keeping a polite distance from Jieun despite all the badmouthing in the dark.

Again, from afar Jieun noticed Suho and Naeun were talking with a hint of laughing. Naeun shyly took over the books and CD cases from Suho while he was pointing to one of the cases, seemingly to explain something. Jieun let herself dawned on the soft features of Suho before shifting her gaze to the sky above. It was as blue as ever and the azure colour of the sky washed away the commotions in her heart. When her eyes could not bear the blinding sun rays any longer, she cast her gaze downwards and looked straight at the filmography related books in her hands. Jieun’s mouth quirked at the thought of how Kim Heechul would react if she ditched his lecture. Then, Jieun turned and left the sun glaring place.

The windy weather had once again unraveled the strings of the banner and half of it went along with the wind motion in the air but making struggling noise because of its heavy textile. Naeun leaped towards Suho in surprise with her cheeks flaming up once she realized she was too close to the latter. Suho never noticed the bashful and secret smile of Naeun, he instinctively looked towards the flying banner which eventually dropped back once the wind died down. The banner fluttered for the last few times before becoming still and Suho for a moment thought he saw the familiar blonde hair, but on another closer look, no one was close by except for her bolded name on the banner.