Not That Important After All...

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Tonight, he felt even more desolate than the two years of her absence.


Before Jieun could think of any response to Suho's peculiar excuse of being in the market, one of the two girls who were still standing at the booth walked up to Suho.

Suho looked at the girl with a puzzled expression, in which she lowered head before nervously saying,

 

“Can you give me your phone number?”

 

A muffled laughter caught Suho’s attention. Irritated and embarrassed by the situation, he sneaked a glance to Jieun who had already smoothened her facial expression, he waved his hand,

 

“Sorry, I don’t use phone much.”

 

It was a lame excuse, and the girl could tell too that he was unwilling to give his phone number. She sighed and turned around to return to her companion’s side.

 

“But, I can treat you to a cup of coffee,” said Suho suddenly and already picking up two cups of trial coffee from the booth and stretched out his hands to offer the hot drinks to the astonished girls. Pleasantly surprised, the girls blushed and accepted the coffee. Nevertheless, they hesitated to taste the coffee only holding to the cup with a rather awestruck face.

 

“Go ahead, the taste is not bad.” Suho said after taking a sip of the caffeine that he picked up for himself.

 

Immediately, the girls followed his lead and took small sips, their faces turned even more dreamy.

 

Seizing the opportunity, Jieun quickly added,

 

“The taste is good, right? It not only refreshes you but also leaves a lingering fragrance. It’s a taste that guys mostly prefer.”

 

 The eyes of the two girls lit up, and they excitedly bought two boxes each after some chit-chat. After lingering for a while, they reluctantly waved goodbye to Suho.

 

“Are you busy this afternoon?”

 

“Not really, why?”

Seeing Jieun’s sparkled eyes after his response, Suho had the premonition that he was being manipulated.

 

With a huff of sound close to a laugh, she smiled at him; not the usual smile reserved him, but the one like a sly merchant.

 

“Come sell coffee with me then.”

 

Suho’s instinct was proved to be correct. He was aware that he was being tricked, but he wondered why he felt a sense of triumph within?

 

Certainly, with Suho’s dazzling appearance and his charming smile, Jieun’s afternoon sales skyrocketed. Naturally, her mood was also lifted as she thought that today’s work had been well. Seeing Jieun’s faint smile, Suho initiated a conversation.

“Guess you sold a lot today?”

 

“Yeah.” Jieun responded but she barely spared a glance towards her benefactor and instead buried in the task of rearranging her booth. Feeling resentful after his hard work for the afternoon but did not get the reaction he wanted from Jieun, he spoke again.

 

“I worked hard today, aren’t you going to show me any appreciation?”

 

Finally looking at him in the eyes, Jieun narrowed her eyes but agreed.

 

“Sure, I’ll treat you later.”

 

Alas, this ‘later’ extended until two hours later and it was already past dinner time. Suho, who never stood continuously for so long, was tired and even his smile had worn off. Even so, Jieun still dutifully promoting coffee to customers until the last minute, he suddenly had the urge to support her slender shoulders, to ease the tightness of her tired muscles.

 

Naeun also finished work around the same time as Jieun, however the shock of seeing Suho next to Jieun was enough to send her back straighter and she strode over to the duo. Naeun saw how Suho’s demeanor shifted as he regarded her over and accepted her greeting.

 

Swallowing her discomfort, her mind pieced all the scenarios together. From the beginning, she noticed everything, how Suho’s eyes were always unexpectedly gentle and focused when Jieun wasn’t looking at him. Even with his calm and elegant appearance, he always emitted an indifference manner unintentionally. However, Jieun was an exception, it was as if she was the only thing he can see in this universe. Despite standing next to them, she felt like there was an insurmountable gap between them, as if she was isolated in another world different to theirs.

 

Her fingers dug into her palm and the frustration built up in her.

 

She could never understand why, of everyone else, why her? The arrogant, despised Lee Jieun?

 

Selfish, rude, cunning, sarcastic…

 

Why does he care about such an unpleasant girl?

 

Naeun’s ever sweet, smiling face was nowhere to be seen, leaving only a look of resent and jealousy.

 

Suho stared at the iced milk tea in his hand, the chocolate-colored foam undulating, and the aroma of milk wafting. It seemed nothing special, but the taste was better than its appearance.

 

"Is this your thank-you gift?" He asked, disappointed.

 

Just nodding slightly, Jieun indulged in her milk tea. After a whole day of working, she was parched. Only having sample coffee around, which made her even thirstier, combined with tirelessly promoting coffee to customers, Jieun’s throat felt like it was on fire.

 

Suho was sulking as he quietly drank his milk tea. He wasn’t hoping for much, perhaps just grabbing dinner from fast food chains or even just some street food, he was anticipating some time to be spent with her. However, with just this cup of drink, the time being together was cut short much quicker than he would have wanted.

 

"Is this... your treat?" he asked again.

 

Feeling Suho’s disappointment, she finally released the straw in and said, "I'll treat you after I get my salary."

 

At first, he was taken aback, then smiled after a beat. Subconsciously, he had learned to restrain his awkwardness. He realized that he indeed wanted to spend time with her and as long as his clumsy and awkward behaviour remained, he would not be able to get close to her at ease.

 

"After I get my salary, I'll treat you again." Previously, Suho would never have thought that the proud and aloof Jieun would be saying this. Seeing that she had to be financially constrained, it led him in thinking about her hard work and effort throughout the day,Suho’s heart began to ache again.

 

"Well... to make sure I get a meal from you, I'll come to accompany you tomorrow too."

 

Suho said as he looked to the front, feeling shy as he wanted his gesture to be shown as his willingness was not to gain favour, rather just wanting to spend time with her.

 

Hearing Suho’s words, she hesitated for a moment. As far as she could recall, Suho avoided her as much as possible. When she asked for his help today, she was prepared to be rejected, but she didn't expect him to agree so readily. His expression was not like before, full of disdain and impatience; he treated her like... like he used to treat others, amiable and kind. If not for her commitment to fulfilling her duties at work, Jieun would surely have analyzed her childhood friend's peculiar behavior.

 

Now that he said he would accompany her to sell coffee tomorrow, she couldn’t hide her surprise anymore. For a moment, she only stared blankly at Suho, whose face gradually blushed with the stretched silence without an answer from her.

 

Just as he thought of coming up with more excuse, her small mouth opened,

 

"Are you that free?"

 

This question had stumped Suho and he wanted nothing but to hide himself in embarrassment. Mimicking her manner earlier, he aggressively on his milk tea, choosing to remain silent.

 

Used to being ignored by Suho, Jieun didn't think much. She only walked silently beside next to him, allowing themselves wrapped in silence.

 

This kind of silence used to be what Suho longed for, when Jieun used to buzzed around him like a bee, but now it made him uncomfortable all over. Feeling increasingly awkward in the silence, Suho spoke without much thought,

 

 "Jieun, let's go eat. My treat."

 

Almost simultaneously, Jieun's monotonous phone made a "beep beep" sound. Signaling Suhuo to wait for a moment, she answered the call. On the other end was her father, who had finished work early and wanted to have dinner with her. Since returning to the city, he had been busy every day and almost never had a proper meal with his daughter.

 

Looking at Jieun’s slender profile as it took on a fuzzy golden edge under the dim yellow street lights, he suddenly recalled the evening two years ago. She waited for him for the whole afternoon, yet she waved goodbye to him with no hesitation even though he finally relented and went out from his room to see her. Merely because it was time for dinner and she had to head home to dine with her father.

 

Her expression was the same as he remembered, her unwavering gaze as she readily rejected his offer and his heart sank.

 

“…Myeon, my dad is back, I have to go. Thanks a lot for today. Tomorrow just rest at home and I’ll treat you to a meal once I have my salary.”

 

Sure enough, even after two years, even though their situations had changed, and their mindsets had matured, some things could never change. Like, he wasn't that important, after all.

 

"Okay." Suho smiled, and the sudden bitterness in his heart was known only to himself.

 

"Well... bye."

 

"Yeah, bye."

 

The slender figure quickly disappeared into the flow of cars. Suho stood in place, the streetlights stretched his tall shadow even longer, making him appear incredibly lonely.

 

Tonight, he felt even more desolate than the two years of her absence.