Hate and Love

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Kim Ryuhae’s heart skipped a beat as she raised her head, her curtain of hair lifted from the face, revealing first her rosy lips which quirked. Then, Jieun had the placid expression that was an exact replica of her father’s one, but, the mere difference was her gaze of taunting and ridicule she had no intention of masking. His fists tightened when the heiress of the Lee spoke.

“Pathetic jealousy.”

 

After so many years, Jieun undoubtedly noticed Suho’s peculiarity of not being the one to part company first, and it was not hard to guess it was only with her. Even if now they were wrapped in an uncomfortable silence, he would never leave first, unless he was in a fit of rage.

The most puzzling part was Suho always looked like he had more to say, but his words never rolled off his tongue. Jieun inwardly sighed, she always had to play the cold-hearted role. She ran her fingers through her blonde locks and nodded at Suho before leaving for the main gate.

Along the way, Jieun passed by her 'trio underlings', but she did not even bat an eyelash. The trio in the beginning were still following her hot on her heels despite the rumours of bankruptcy, but as time passed with more articles reporting that the town’s billionaire was indeed soon-to-be in ruin, the trio thought it was finally time to rebel. They never liked her, like everyone else and now without her wealth and family background, they had nothing to be feared of her.

Sena, being the most obnoxious of the trio was the first to jeer at Jieun.

“My, my, how desperate are you to actually hug that disgusting gay?”

Jieun only continued breezily walking on; she would spare no time for these petty people. Nonetheless, Eunha definitely would not let go of this opportunity to mock the Jieun who was once at the top; what feeling is better than to trample on one’s pride? She blocked Jieun’s way and approached the latter. Taking advantage of her towering height over Jieun, Eunha provocatively tilted her head to look at Jieun and reached out, wanting to flick the red diamond ornament in her hair. Yet, her hand stilled when the petite girl in front finally looked at her in the eyes, it was exactly this moment she felt the familiar oppressing aura. Euhna drew a quick breath and took a small step back hastily.

“W-well, she must be so upset by the umpteenth rejections from Suho oppa and Luhan oppa’s never ending derision so she had to find comfort from her gay company.”

Eunha nudged at Yerim when Jieun was still holding her gaze, hoping her friend could distract the elfin devil.

“You two underestimated little Jieunnie here. Like mother like daughter, she must have been bored of straight, handsome boys. Her interest has always been the exact opposite one. Your mother taught you well, didn't she?

Indeed, the air-headed Yerim who sometimes spit outrageous remarks caught Jieun’s attention, but Eunha and Sena felt the unpleasant yet familiar chills running up to their spines. No one but them understood best the presage of Jieun being hot under the collar- exactly now with her raised chin and her half-lidded eyes which had more iciness than her callous grin.

“What’s this? Starting an act of contempt?"

Of course, the trio wanted nothing good, preferably the worst to happen to Jieun, but her intimidating appearance faltered their impulse. Still, Sena who started it first grabbed onto her remaining wits and rebutted.

“So what if we are? You think you’re better than us? We’ve been through worst from you!”

“And so?.”

Jieun raised her eyebrow, inviting their challenge. Instead, the trio hesitated and regretted their act of rashness to stir the sleeping lion. Even if the rumours were true, the Lee’s family could have overcome it in a short period. Then, it would be them who ended up with nothing good if they provoked her.

Jieun’s hostility dimmed when she saw the three’s flattened spirit, but her tone was no less harsh as she pushed passed Sena.

“Think twice before trifling me.”

Jieun’s scalp tingled when she spotted the familiar Macbeth stopping right in front of her college entrance, but she spared no second to disclose her concern over the possibility of being seen from earlier. Instead, she climbed into the car with utmost fluid and no hint of tentativeness.

However, it is as Jieun worried- Lee Taewon pursed his lips as he witnessed the scene at the campus gate. Nonetheless, he wore a big smile when Jieun approached the car, a sense of bittersweet washed through him seeing upon his daughter’s soft and childlike features. He wondered if he was the only one who could see his daughter’s real facade beneath the mask she wore.

“Xiao En.”

“Dad, why did you come all the way to here?”

“I’ve finished the tasks on hand and thought of picking you up on the way. What were you talking with the girls?”

Jieun’s fingers curled slightly at the question. So, he saw.

“Oh, it was nothing. They wanted me to hang out with them, but it’s too hot. So I didn't go.”

Taewon felt numbness spreading across his heart, but he played along with his daughter’s jolly act as he good-naturedly smiled at Jieun.

Back in the house, Jieun wore the necklace out like always and fondled with the oblong jewelry, therefore, it was not hard for Taewon to notice another missing bracelet on her daughter’s precious necklace. He was aware that one of the bracelets belonged to Suho, but never knew how his daughter got a hold on his bracelet. Nevertheless, he was more surprised to hear that Jieun gave it away for her lecturer than the fact she gave the bracelet away. The lecturer must have been her trusted friend.

Friend.

At this thought, Lee Taewon’s expression turned grim. Jieun put down her pair of chopsticks, unhurriedly dabbed the napkin on and turned towards her father.

“Dad, now that we are finished with dinner. You can tell me what’s on your mind.”

Jieun naturally knew something must have happened the moment her father personally came to pick her up. Now his stern expression confirmed her suspicion.

Likewise, Taewon was clear there was nothing he could hide from his daughter. He was not one to beat around bushes, therefore, the most he could do was to deliver the bad news with an even tone.

“Xiao En, the fund which served as the company’s last resort had been winded away by your Uncle.”

“Stolen?” Winded away, stolen, they were still the same. The fund was gone.

“He used my name to withdraw the money and transferred it to an overseas account. Your uncle had fleeted.”

“How could he so easily withdraw the money?”

Taewon tiredly touched his forehead, “…Do you remember my assistant, Kwon Ryul? When I was ill, he slipped in a few authority hand-over documents, one of them is the slip to withdraw this money.”

Jieun thought of the assistant’s gentle smile and the current dire situation of the company which was caused by the very same person. It was no wonder that the saying ‘Appearance is deceiving’ existed since a long time ago; that sickening pretentious trait that every human has.

“…Dad…” No matter how angry she was, Jieun’s anger dissipated at the thought of the betrayal and disappointment her father must have felt.

“I’m too naïve and trusting that people take advantage of me.”

Jieun dug her fingers into her palms when she saw how her dad gave a wretched smile which was a mixture of remorse and hurt from the disloyalty.

“Is there any way to recover the fund?”

Taewon shook his head, “The company is facing cash flow difficulties. It is expected since other parties who intended to collaborate had retracted the funds, the leaking of confidential files, the company’s share also fell drastically with how your uncle sold some of my biggest shares carelessly…”

Jieun’s mind buzzed when her father seemed to endlessly list the problems the company was facing. She did not feel any better as her father mentioned about Suho's father with a battered tone and dropped the topic after a short pause. Her father ended the night of the conversation with a sigh and a weak smile.

We couldn’t even count on Suho’s family to help now?

Once she sent her father to his bedroom, Jieun finally gave into the turmoil of feelings she was undergoing, breaking the calm facade she had put on for her father’s sake.

“Xiao En, once the company is announced to face liquidation, we have to prepare for the worst outcome…”

Jieun recalled as how her ever strong-willed father also tried to avoid mentioning the word, bankruptcy at the times of this. This was just a perfectly planned conspiracy, with every steps and stage meticulously planned! It did not take a genius to realize it was done by someone close; they had fallen into their trusted person’s machinations.

〜❅〜​

After pondering for a few days, Jieun finally decided to flunk her lectures and came over to the Kim’s house. In truth, there were things that were clear and obvious deep down in people’s hearts even if they were not spoken; it all started when the Kim’s family remained silent amidst the whole crisis of their household matter, her father’s grim expression and unfinished sentence when he mentioned about his best friend. Jieun knew, but, she did not want to admit, not just yet.

Even earlier in campus, for the first time, Jieun felt the uneasiness and inability to look straight into Suho’s eyes; she could not find the usual tranquillity which comforted her whenever she turns to Suho.

As soon as Jieun stepped into the Kim’s mansion, Solji did not even bother to hide her distaste towards her. Even so, Jieun was not the slightest disturbed by the house lady’s treatment and departure upon her presence, leaving only her and Suho’s father in the living room. She stood there, without feeling self-conscious, instead cut to her point.

“Uncle Kim, could you help dad’s company?” This was solely her purpose of coming here.

Before coming, Jieun did imagine several scenarios that would happen once her request was made known. She even expected it, still, seeing what one expected did not lessen the shock. Then, the shock was replaced by amazement, with utmost detestation.

Kim Ryuhae did not react to Jieun’s words, he had his head buried deep into the black and white newsprint, closely reviewing it slow and in detail as if it was a treasure map. Jieun lost count of the time when the older man ‘realised’ she was there and finally put down the newspaper in exclaim.

“Oh, Jieun, you’re here!”

Jieun’s eyes narrowed in such a way that it reminded Ryuhae of her father’s gaze, which was incisive and never fail to make people nervous. Ryuhae’s face stiffened in result and decided to drop his act of years.

“The fatal mistake in the business field is antagonizing oneself, yet, your father did it. It's just like the pyramid food chain, no one would hesitate to step over another if an opportunity rises. In the end, it's nobody but his fault that no one’s willing to give a hand.”

Like the coldness seeping into her darkened orbs, Jieun’s heart sank and turned cold.

“My dad never wronged you in any way.”

It started with a chuckle, then, a sickening laugh where in between the man mimicked Jieun's statement.

“Ever since your father started his business, wherever he’s at, Kim would always be the second. Everyone only cares about the Lee’s and up to him! The Kim’s- I! I’m not lacking in any aspect as compared to your father, but, why it must be him who everyone wishes him to come a cropper gets lucky and rises further each time!”  

For the first time, Jieun misjudged herself; she had always thought she was observant that even though Solji perfectly hid her distaste for her, she still knew, at least felt about it. Yet, now, with how Solji’s husband looking at her as if she was a pest needed to be ridden of, she wondered how scheming and sly was this man which he successfully tricking Jieun and her father into believing him from all these years.

Jieun’s heart wretched in pain and anguish as she recalled the faint smile on his father’s lips when he mentioned about the very man sitting in front of her. How much pain her father took in to smile at her despite all this? She snickered at the flashback as how she believed her father when he ensured her that Suho’s father would help them in anyway just before she left to Busan to receive the video award. Coming here was the stupidest mistake she ever made in her life.

Her father’s action and hesitance clearly explain the situation, so why did she come here to receive the insult in her face? What she should exactly do at the moment was to be by her father’s side, letting him know that even if the world turned against him, she would still be supporting her father’s wounded back.

Kim Ryuhae basked in glee as he finally shed his tiring façade and spit out the words buried in his heart, nothing could have been more satisfying than seeing the proud and almighty Lee Taewon’s likewise daughter with her head hung low. Kim Ryuhae’s heart skipped a beat as she raised her head, her curtain of hair lifted from the face, revealing first her rosy lips which quirked. Then, Jieun had the placid expression that was an exact replica of her father’s one, but, the mere difference was her gaze of taunting and ridicule she had no intention of masking. His fists tightened when the heiress of the Lee spoke.

“Pathetic jealousy.”

Like a prick to the sorest part, Ryuhae jumped in anger, loudly shrieking, “Jealous? How ridiculous, I, Kim Ryuhae need to be jealous? Now, I’m the winner! You Lees are destined to lose to me!”

Jieun was not the slightest disturbed by the maddened side of a supposedly well reputation and dignified businessman. Instead, she tittered, similarly to a child’s while watching a cartoon show.

“Kim Ryuhae, if you weren’t- aren’t jealous, why bother to scheme all this just to topple my dad down? It’s because you’re not confident in beating my dad, therefore, you’re the loser, it has always been you.”

Jieun did not even wait for Ryuhae to chase her out with his hollering and turned her heels to leave this sickening place. Just then, she came face to face with Suho who just reached the gate of his dwelling. His face was red from the scorching sun and seeing upon Jieun’s ghastly expression, he staggered to say something. Soon, he was left with a cold brush of shoulder and negligence by the last person he thought would do so.

〜❅〜​

In Jieun’s hands was a photo album, as she lifted her head, she met her father’s gaze that was a mixture of apology and worries. She could see the wheels turning in her father’s mind and put aside the photo book, continuing to pack the clothes on her bed indifferently.

Lee Taewon came to sit on her daughter’s bed, looking thinner and more exhausted as days passed. The only thing that did not go down was his coughing.

“Dad, I’m pretty much done. We can leave anytime you want.”

He was clearly spent, both financially and physically. Even though their current house was sold and needed to be passed on to the buyer in a few days, it was not enough to cover the losses of the company. Within a day, Taewon indeed turned into a poor wretch from a business expert.

“Dad, it’s okay if the company falls because we still have each other. But, if you were to fall too, then, I really have nothing left.

Jieun’s heartfelt and quiet words hung in the room as Taewon was stupefied at her daughter’s ‘wake-up call’. Yes, he knew even after the betrayals and backstabbing of those whom he trusted and closest to, there was still his daughter who remained standing behind him, following him towards the very end. It was this very reason he decided to leave this town, away from the collapse of his company, leaving behind the place where his daughter was preyed on so that he could start afresh in a new place and let her daughter lives fearlessly like before. So, how could he, sulking here and let the one he was supposed to protect to be worried about him? Since when he was this careless and weak?

With a laugh, Taewon immediately recovered his usual aplomb.

“Why would you think I would fall too? We are only temporarily leaving this place and definitely would come back to reclaim this house.”

Jieun knew they would not be back just to reclaim this house which stored the happy memories of her family, but also their status and dignity; she trusted her father’s words and never once doubted it. Just as how Suho, in a way, once was her epitome of hope, her father was an embodiment of faith.

However, Taewon could not help but to sigh and saddened at the sight of the photo album laying on the floor.

“Xian En, although all this was the handiwork of the Kim’s, I’m certain Xiao Mian is kept in the dark.”

Seeing his daughter’s quietness, Taewon’s expression became solemn again.

“I was too young and foolish then, failing to recognize Ryuhae’s conflicts. He had been restricted since young, he didn’t even get to choose his spouse. Although he gradually came to love Solji, I knew he envied and yearned for the love I had with your mother. He did help a lot when I first established the company. Perhaps, successfulness came too easily that I came to treat people casually and take it for granted. Yet, this all lead to Ryuhae’s jealousy for me and never once I realized that I was his source of misery…”

“Dad…” Jieun zipped up the luggage and the light shone into her eyes, revealing her taunting look as she thought of the man her father spoke of. The glitter in the red diamonds hair band wrapped around her wrist shone as she moved her hands, made it believable that she was the mythic invincible god.

“Just because he cannot have it, therefore he is allowed to destroy? There’s no such absurd reasoning which makes him forgivable and you being at fault.”

Taewon understood the trait of his daughter’s clear demarcation between what and who she hates and loves, therefore, he knew there was no point in arguing more on this and changed the topic.

“You should at least give Xiao Mian a proper farewell.”

Again, at the mention of Suho, Jieun became quiet again. Resignedly, Taewon caressed his daughter’s head and left her with her thoughts.

*Gasp* Jieun is leaving! Do you think she will bid farewell to Suho?