No Looking Back

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Jieun simply closed her eyes and enjoyed the warm salty breeze caressing her face. She raised an arm as she stretched her body and heaved a sigh when her stiff muscles relaxed slightly. Suddenly her balance was thrown off to the left and before she nearly slipped off, she regained her balance again.

“Yah.” Jieun’s tone was soft but crisp and the one riding the bicycle stiffened visibly.

“A stone! I was avoiding it!”

Jieun rolled her eyes and supported herself with both hands now behind her, gripping the back seat metal on the bicycle. Soon, her ride slowed down and they reached the seawall that was the nearest from where she lived. Jieun went to sit down by the seawall, leaving her legs dangling above the piled up boulders.

With the upcoming storm, the waves were wilder than usual as it struck on the boulders, but Jieun was in no hurry to look for shelter, instead relishing in the wind that had picked up speed.

A huff was heard by her side and a nudge was given to her left arm.

“What?”

Jieun opened her eyes and glanced towards her left when she did not get a response.

“I thought you were sick or something, I mean you never left work early.”

Jieun raised her eyebrow and the boy’s words.

“Stalker much? So what if I’m sick and had an early leave?”

The boy opened and closed his mouth, trying to word out his reason and eventually shrugged in defeat. Jieun turned back facing the ocean, her neck dropped backward as she leaned back on her elbows. Jieun had a faint smile grazing on her lips, her companion reminded her of Kim Heechul, albeit this boy was a version of how Heechul would be if he was only younger, less crazier and of course straight.

Maybe a tad shy.

Jieun smirked when she tried to picture Heechul being like the boy. Even so, the resemblance did not strike her when they first met. He was a boy spotting with a hideous round cut fringe with his hair touching his neck. His head was the only thing she saw during the first few days they moved in to the new place; the boy just could not resist poking his head out from the wall outside.

Jieun paid no heed to him at the first place until he started following her like a puppy after the day she helped his mother in retrieving her handbag from a thief. Now or then, Jungkook would still marvelled at her side kick she gave to the thief and retelling the story to the younger children in his Taekwondo academy.

It was unnerving initially when Jungkook kept following her like her little minion, but gradually, she grew used to his company. In fact, he was a good company because he stays quiet most of the time like now, allowing her a moment to breathe all the while accompanying her, a reminder that she was not alone. Jieun would not say it aloud, but Jungkook, at some point, became her mental support throughout the 2 years.

“Noona, really, why did you take an early leave?”

Jieun opened her eyes and stared off the stormy sea far ahead. She could almost smell the rain coming.

“Old lady summoned me.” Jieun replied and lazily looked at Jungkook who was scratching the crown of his head with his index finger.

Jieun smacked away his hand, “Will you stop that already? One day, that’ll become a bald spot.”

Jungkook fidgeted even more and he started to rock forward and backward.

“Oh..okay. Noona, I think there is something-”

Jieun was actually being patient and was about to listen to what Jungkook had to say despite his stalling words, but the sky had a different thought.

The rain poured down just then, Jieun and Jungkook immediately stood up, rushing for the bicycle. By the time they reached Jieun’s place, they were both soaked to the bone. Jieun was shoving Jungkook aside playfully and at a turn of her head, she saw a figure emerging from the corner. No matter what the situation, Jieun would definitely recognize him anywhere.

Jungkook shoved Jieun back, not knowing her attention had long fixed on the figure behind him, hence, his heart leapt out when Jieun lost her balance and bumped into the wall. Before Jungkook could apologize, she moved away and ran ahead. Jungkook’s grip on the bicycle handle tightened when he saw who Jiuen had rushed off to see. In the end, he was not able to break the news to her first before letting her seeing this.

Jieun looked at him and her heart grew heavier as the minute passed. If he was back this early at this time…

“Jieun-ah.”

A flicker of surprise showed on her father’s face, but he gradually softened to a small smile for her. Her hands curled into tiny fists as she took in Lee Taewon’s drenched state.

 “Dad, let’s head inside, you’re all wet.”

Jieun grabbed Lee Taewon’s arm and passed by Jungkook who was still standing there.

“Hurry home, your mum will be worried.”

Jungkook looked as if he wanted to say something, but he nodded and turned away after Jieun placed her hand on top of his, giving a few reassuring taps.

Jieun lightly climbed up the stairs after a quick shower. In the room, Taewon had his back facing the door, his suits was wet and all wrinkled from the rain. His frame that was thinner than before made him looked even more desolate than ever. Jieun’s nose stung slightly when she thought of how straight and confident looking her father’s back view used to be.

Taewon’s name in the business field is well-known that even if he had moved to Busan, everyone recognized him instantly but they all merely gave cold side view at the no longer renowned businessman and gloated at his misfortune.

These two years, no matter where he had applied for job, it had always been a few days of employment trial before Taewon was given any kind of excuses and was dismissed. How could Jieun not noticed it had been a mean of ridicule towards her father?

Jieun believed if her father was given a chance, he would be standing on the top again, even more outstanding than anyone ever could be. However, what one hopes is a complete opposite of the reality; at time of this, even an opportunity seemed impossible.

Closing here eyes, Jieun managed her expression and emptied her negative thoughts before revealing a large smile. Just a few steps and a jump, she was on Taewon’s back, dispersing the latter’s sorrow and troubled thoughts.

“Dad, the old lady made some chicken soup, let’s go down and drink!”

“Xiao En, how many times have I told you to call her grandma? It’s impolite to address her as the old lady.”

Taewon’s pinched his nose bridge tiredly when Jieun gave a nonchalant eye roll at the mention of this topic.

“Come on, changed out of the wet clothes and come down already. If not, the old lady will start howling until our ears bleed!”

Jieun made an exaggerated expression of having pained ears and trickled her dad into giving a string of chuckles. Not wanting to worry his daughter further, Taewon stood up and reassured Jieun he would be down in a jiffy.

It seemed as if the old lady’s chicken soup had worked its magic because in no time Lee Taewon found a new job and he was particularly determined to not lose this job again with some pathetic excuses being forced on him.

This time the head of executive was an attractive woman named Lisa in her late thirties. Her eyes gleamed the first time she met Taewon. It was undeniable that Jieun’s father still looked good at his age; he remained the same just as he was young except that his face had a hint of the years he lived, but it made his composure more steadfast and seemingly ever-ready for any challenges thrown to him. Lisa almost made it seemed like she was set to employ Taewon no matter what because after a brief session of interview, Taewon was hired with a generous salaried job.

Days turned into weeks, Lee Taewon was relieved that this time he was not being fooled around and he had been working diligently in this small-scale company. He knew very well that as long as he could still be in this field, there would always be an opportunity for him to showcase what he was really made of. Despite that he was glad that he finally settled down on a job, there was always this uncomfortable feeling whenever he was with Lisa. Yet, Taewon decided to ignore this feeling because there was nothing unbearable if he were to see his daughter’s overjoyed expression when he told her the good news.

“Xiao En ah, this time I’ve found a job for real. The company treats me well and you don’t have to work so much anymore. Once I’ve settled down, you could continue your studies again.”

It was the first time in the two years that Taewon mentioned this, but Jieun clearly knew that it had been on her father’s mind all this while. Not wanting to rain on her father’s parade, Jieun obediently nodded her head and went along with her father’s decision. Most importantly, she wanted her father to remain this newly returned confident smile.

Even so, nothing good can ever remained that long. Taewon slowly realized that he might have been employed at the first place because Lisa did recognized his talents, but due to Lisa’s upbringing in overseas, she had never been shy of her interest in him and had been forward of her intentions as time passed. Soon, there were rumours circling in the company that Taewon was Lisa’s toy boy and it had been unbearable especially when the latter came close with personal intentions. Yet, every time, Taewon swallowed the anger and the burning guilt towards Jieun’s deceased mother once he thought of his precious daughter working in a restaurant.

He kept one eye closed at Lisa’s flirtatious advance on him, not accepting, but not rejecting either and slowly Taewon became increasingly quiet and lacking of the enthusiasm he had initially in the job. Jieun was kept in the dark and was only growing more puzzled at her father’s tired face and lethargic response when she asked about his work.

Gradually, Jieun became worried of her father and the day she decided to find out what had happened to her father, she had an unexpected visit from someone she had not seen for over two years in her workplace.

A man that was so attractive looking that he could even stand next to the soju endorser cut out and not lose out stood by the counter and requested for Jieun. That instantly, Solbin and Jinyoung pursed their mouths into a tight lines filled with jealousy. The manager was also stunned by the imposing manner of the good-looking man in his store, but another reason he allowed Jieun to have a break as requested by the beautiful stranger, it was because Jieun had been so out of it since this morning and perhaps a break might do her good.

Naturally, they did not have any reason to cross each other’s paths anymore, especially not after her father’s company had announced bankruptcy, but Jieun still went to him and politely greeted the man who reminded her of someone who had a striking resemblance to him.

Of course my dear readers will know who's the one who called Jieun noona. Who do you think is the one who came to see Jieun? Stay tune :D