I'm Sorry

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Backtrack if you missed my previous update, it's rare I know but yeah two chapters updated within two days. :D

 

 

In the campus of Seoul National University, students were buzzing around to and from classes. Under one of the many zelkova tress in the campus, a male in a black and white checkered shirt was gazing far ahead along the pathway, his fingers unknowingly grazed on the smooth surface of the bracelet fitted just right on his left wrist. The leaves were starting to turn yellow, indicating that autumn was approaching and weather had been much cooler too. Just then, a female in high pony tail approached the male and shyly tapped his shoulder. The latter turned and smiled gently at the newcomer while handing her the small stack of books in his hands. The female ducked her head slightly to hide her blushing cheeks at the same time peeking to look at the male’s feature, especially the barely visible dimple when he smiled like this. Nevertheless, the male never did notice the admiration that was subtly shown from the female’s expression.

Nodding his head, he took his leave once he did what he came to do. By the end of the path, it came to the cross section of the News and Media building on the left and the rest of the major departments on the right. Every time, the female noticed that the person beside her would stop for a moment and took his time to look over the rows of the windows on the left building. His usual pair of gleaming eyes were always comparably duller and unfocused after his routine scan. The female never liked how he looked like every time they crossed by this path; the unspoken sadness in his countenance and his distanced mien. She could never decipher the thoughts he had at times like this. It gave her a sense of helplessness and also the reminder that she would not be able to get any closer to his heart even though she was just right beside him. Which was why she was more bubbly and animated whenever at times like this, so that whatever joke she made and her big movements would distract him and made him paid attention to her instead.

This time with no exception too.

Just as she was about to open to tell him an interesting excerpt she read, a figure dashed past between them and she lost her balance. During her fall, her face was scarlet from only realizing she had been so close to him that she took a whisk of his natural scent before panicking that she would make a fool of herself by falling down in front of him. Fortunately, her companion was quick and caught her by the arm in reflex. His grip was stronger than he expected which unintentionally, he brought the female closer to him and the smaller figure surrounded by his arms only grew brighter in red. She secretly took in the pleasure and thanked the careless person from before until she heard the name hollered out by the very same person she just thanked- her sweet and secretive moments with him for the past two years had just come to an end.

“You impudent brat! You’re finally back, Lee Jieun!”

She clearly felt how the owner of the pair of arms that were still holding her stiffened. The pair of eyes she loved to take fleeting gazes at jumped into her view as she lifted her head. They were much alive, the fire inside that she never noticed was dancing, giving off warmth and richer colour that she had never seen. Taking in the subtle changes of the male’s expression, the hint of ecstatic in his raised cheeks, painstakingly she realized this was the only time she saw the liveliness in him who had been nothing but a doll with carefully carved smile and politeness for the past two years.

Suho felt as if the metal clasps on his left wrist was tighter than ever, alerting him that its owner’s name was heard loud and clear. His eyes followed after the darted figure from earlier and briefly saw the slim frame that was familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. Then, Kim Heechul’s screeching cry disturbed his train of thoughts as he wailed and tackled the petite figure he had not seen for two long years.

“You heartless brat! Not a single message or call during these two years, you had me worried sick! You did that on purpose, didn’t you? You’re the worst, Lee Jieun!”

The one who was howling was indeed Kim Heechul, Jieun’s guidance mentor who had just came back from his studies in Germany. He was dismayed when he found out that Jieun had yet to return from her study leave and as the clock ticked closer to the end of her given period of study leave, she finally came back a day before she would be expelled. His bottled up anxious and worries for her finally exploded when he recognized the petite frame who was walking towards the News and Media building. He immediately sprinted towards his most precious student and clung onto Jieun who was stunned from his act of overwhelming affections that she had almost forgotten.

Heechul could not help but sobbed even harder when he took in Jieun’s appearance- a head of black bob haircut with loose fringe framing her small face, the pair of sharp and stubborn eyes looking down at him, clad in outfits that could not be any simpler and without her gleaming red diamonds trademark in her hair, she seemed as if she was stripped of her overbearing demeanour from last time. She looked more like her age, more approachable and one with an amiable manner, except that…

She’s much thinner…

Heechul hugged her even tighter as if his hug could replenish her anything she had lost and needed during two hard-by years in another city.

Jieun’s eyes grew colder as seconds passed and shuddered when Heechul made it sound as if they had a lovers’ quarrel and playing the scene of reunion in the campus.

“Are you done with your crying?.”

“No, not even the slightest!”

Jieun closed her eyes, trying her best to keep her anger at bay.

“That’s enough. Let go of me now.”

“No! Absolutely not! I won’t!”

Jieun felt her last string of patience disintegrating as she looked up to the sky and took a deep breath. She clenched her fist which afterwards aimed hard at Hecchul’s waist. The latter howled in pain this time and immediately released his iron grip on the culprit of the hard blow at his precious waist. With his ever dramatic reaction, Heechul took a few steps backward while holding his injured area and whimpered.

“Jieun, you’re so cruel, deliberately target a men’s most important body part after…”

Jieun did not even spare a glance at Heechul’s crude gesture on his ‘jewel’ between his legs, instead she continued her way to her major’s department for her registration. Then, a familiar voice with a cautious tone called out to her.

“Xiao En…”

Turning around, she saw the checkered shirt on him that she had not seen for years. His face openly baring the surprise at her presence, yet his stiffened stance and the female he was holding to between his arms seemed to tell her that her she was not a pleasant surprise regardless that he called her by her pet name. Albeit, the pair was in an awkward state of half cuddling half supporting each other, they still looked exceptionally compatible as two years ago.

Jieun crinkled her eyes as a faint smile grazed her lips,

“It’s been a while.”

He had given many thoughts and imagined countless scenarios of how it would be when they reunited. May it be an awkward, anguished or even an elated one, he never imagined it to be such a calm and remote act. There was no radiant smile from her that he remembered, neither the rare display of emotion in her voice as she called out his name that seemed so long since he heard it, not even the unperturbed and taunting gaze of hers he was so used to see. He was treated just like any person from the street, dismissed with a faint and distanced greeting.  

Suho’s hand jittered and he was awakened from the trance caused by Jieun’s sudden appearance. Only then he realized his position with Naeun and hastily put a distance from her. In a rare jittery state, Suho wanted to explain, but Jieun paid no heed to him and forthright took her leave with a mere statement.

“I still have matters to attend, see you.”

Suho’s unspoken words froze at the tip of his tongue while he could only looked on at the disappearing figure. He scratched his face to cover up his awkwardness, realizing that even if he were to explain, what was there to explain? Unbeknownst to him, his eyes lit up and dimmed, reacting actively towards Jieun and no longer lonely.

〜❅〜

Jieun had just finished her registration to re-enroll into university, once she stepped out of the office, she was glad to see that Kim Heechul had finally left her alone. Nevertheless, as she glanced around, still deciding which direction to take, she suddenly saw the trio who used to follow her around. Unfortunately, she met the eyes of Yerim whose eyes turned as round as tangerines when she realizes who she was. Jieun sighed inwardly, she barely had a moment of silence and now the trio was here. She took a look at the wrist watch and decided to get it over with, she had a job interview at a nearby bakery shop and if she did not hurry, she would be late, hence took the opposite direction which would be faster.

“Lee…Lee Jieun!”

Yerim blurted out when she recognized the person who was walking towards the opposite direction. Gone the long blonde locks and replaced by the healthy and natural raven hair that was void of any stylish haircut she used to have in the past. Gone the gleam that always emit from her direction due to the ruby ornaments.

Still, she would not have mistaken the pair of proud and patronizing eyes; Yerim felt the familiar shuddering when the eyes rested on her briefly. Out of habit, she grabbed onto Sena and Eunha who were chatting animatedly about their recent shopping trips, unaware of who she just saw.

Why are  you mentioning that name all of a sudden?”

Sena puckered her lips in annoyance at the mention of this name.  The owner of this name who had been missing for two years was her nightmare, it reminded her the days she followed her like a puppy which she would grit her teeth in embarrassment and the surge of anger that could not be vent off.

“That’s her! That’s Lee Jieun!”

Yerim stuttered again as she pointed at the figure ahead and both Sena and Eunha rounded their eyes in astonishment as they took in her appearance and realizing that she was indeed Lee Jieun, the heiress to the billionaire in town girl they loathed so much.

“She’s Lee Jieun?”

Sena was still dubious, but as she observed closely at the figure who was walking away, she recognized the undefiled air the figure displayed even from how she walked and promptly exchanged a glance with Eunha. Without further ado, they both rushed up to block Jieun at her face.

Jieun did not even blink her eyes and the next step she took was to go around them. This undoubtedly fuelled on the trio’s uneven emotions as they remembered this was exactly how they were ignored for countless times two years ago. However, circumstances were different now, she no longer had her rich and affluent background to support her which meant they no longer have to resist giving into their hate for the petite girl in front, they were ineffably exultant.

“Oh my! Isn’t this the heiress to the sole billionaire in our town?”

Eunha was taller than Jieun and she took her height to utmost advantage as she dauntingly crossed her arms and peered down at Jieun with a mocking stare.

“But why does a billionaire’s daughter wear such outfit that even the mid soles of the shoes are compressed? How long have it been since you worn it?”

They never thought it would come a day that they could make fun of Jieun’s appearance when any clothing or item she used to wear was more expensive than everything they wore combined together. Sena purposely flaunted her new heels from Walter Steiger that had almost dried up her savings. As they were gleefully expecting Jieun to explode because of her egoistic pride that would not allow herself to be derided, sh reacted in the exact opposite. Jieun merely brushed off their taunting with a shrug and smile that was almost invisible.

“Don’t block the way.”

Her ever sharp gaze which held threats for them if they had more nonsense to say had the trio squirmed momentarily before remembering they had no reason to fear Jieun.

“You still think that we’re afraid of you? You’re now just a beggar who don’t even have the right to look down at us!”

Yerim shoved at Jieun when what Eunha had said was absolutely true and gave her guts to do so.

“That’s right! Time has changed! You’re not a billionaire anymore!”

Jieun’s temper riled up when Yerim would not stop her shoving and her fiery glare stopped Sena’s hand that was about to join the shoving. The latter gulped and opted to verbally attack her instead.

“Lee… Lee Jieun! Just you wait! We’ll make your life miserable here!”

Jieun snorted as if she heard a really bad joke. She raised her chin and looked down on them with her infamous glower.

“Is that a threat? Don’t look to high up upon yourself. You’re no match.”

Sena flew into rage out of humiliation and her hand shot out from instinct towards Jieun. To her dismay, Jieun grabbed her striking hand and turned her wrist. With the little balance provided by her high heels, she easily toppled down to the floor.

“Think twice before trying touch a hair of mine.”

“That’s enough, Lee Jieun!”

The feminine voice that was loud and laced with anger echoed through the hallway. The same ponytail flung before Jieun’s eyes and the female had taken the place in front of Sena who was on the floor.

It was just like any justice heroine’s entrance with hands outstretched to the sides.

Jieun's annoyance shot to her entire body when this plague-like girl kept on popping up at times like this.

Naeun quickly helped Sena to her feet whereas Eunha and Yerim who were in stupor by Jieun’s counterattack quickly regained their composure. Immediately, they pulled out the victim’s card when someone was helping them in their stead. They knew no matter what and how the situation turned out to be, it would always be Jieun who took the most blame due to her unlikable reputation that was known, especially this girl who showed up seemed to see Jieun in the bad light as them.

“Lee Jieun, why must you always resort to violence whenever things aren’t the way you want?”

Jieun’s glower dimmed as her gaze at Naeun turned scrutinizing because what the latter did was anything but justice and unbiased. She slightly shook her head and snickered as she thought of how Naeun criticized her for being full of herself when ironically she was being the same too.

Naeun’s every encounter with Jieun had never been pleasant and the thought that Suho actually missed such imprudent girl made her peeved and despairing at the same time, especially when the said girl obviously sneered at her.

“Didn’t you see you caused her to scrap her knees? Apologize now!”

Jieun’s feigned breezy smile dropped as her last straw for Naeun snapped. Not to mention that, these people were wasting her precious time.

What a nuisance.

“You must take it upon yourself that you’re the kindest person in the world.”

Naeun was unable to talk back as she felt Jieun's infamous oppressive aura for the first time. However, out of reflex, she reached out and grabbed Jieun’s hand to turn her around when she was about to leave.

How could this girl with such disdain personality and attitude was worthy for Suho’s attention?

Why was she unable to replace this girl in Suho’s heart?

She was not willing to put up with this!

“Don’t you dare to leave! Apology first!”

Jieun’s demeanour turned more supercilious than earlier and side-eyed Naeun who was still holding her arm.

“Is your hobby pretend to be righteous?”

“Mind-”

“Your-”

“Own-”

“Business.”

Jieun tauntingly said each word and looked hard into Naeun's eyes whom averted her gaze at the last word.

Shrugging her arm from Naeun’s slackened grip, the latter once again lose her balance whenever she was in front of Jieun. Her body slammed into Sena who had barely stood up and this time her knees bleed from the second fall.

“Jieun, what are you doing!”

What coincidence is this?

She was so tired all of all the commotion. Like balloons with their strings cut, Jieun hardly felt anything and was oddly peace when she looked straight into Suho’s eyes which shone bright with exasperation.

“I think you saw what you want to see.”

Jieun said it as if she was never involved in the commotion that had just happened. Suho eyebrows furrowed deeper and did not think that his outcome of waiting for her could turn out to be this. He could not fathom how in such a short time when he went to buy some water Jieun had already caused such furore. Not wanting to argue with her further, he went to help Naeun up on her feet.

Why was it that even after two years, after the hardships he knew she must had faced, after that they finally saw each other, she would still recklessly trampled on anyone’s goodwill.

Up to now, why was it still so hard for her to shed even the slightest of her haughtiness and admit her wrong, why was she so stubborn to change?

Even so…he was unable to resist the urge to look at her. He found that she had turned her back towards them. Standing so straight and still that he knew she must be gazing at the sky as always after they had disagreement. Without seeing her face, Suho never knew what she was thinking and was frustrated that whenever she acted like this, caused him heartache and angst. A surge of panic pooled his chest and he frantically called out her name as she took a step and another away from here.

From him.

Xiao En!”

He had always wondered, what if he had called out for her name like now at anytime from before, would she think of him whenever she faced troubles?

Would she not turn out to be this distant?

Would she not leave…like how she did two years ago?

The moment Jieun saw Suho, she realized she did not miss him as much as she thought she did and she had not thought of him for so long. She could not help but to feel bitterness, even resentment towards Suho although he was not in the loop of what his parents had did to her father.

The changed of perception towards Suho had shook Jieun awake and saw him in a new light; she could not wrap her head around how could she put up with him who would only care for other’s well being but never hers.

What of you left for me to reminisce our times together, to appreciate you, Xiao Mian?

Just because of what my mum said?

It was such a distant memory too.

Suho hated to admit it, but he felt that it was too late, what changed had changed. Her small frame walked towards the setting sun which had shadowed her whole figure, making it seemingly that Jieun was unreachable and painstakingly far away.

His heart, that had been numb all this while, felt the crushing pain when he heard what Jieun said to him.

It was a satire to those who saw her as enemy, but a punch in the gut for Suho who truly cared for her.

“I’m sorry that I’m back.”

 

TBH, I was sad and angry when i wrote the last few parts. >:(

Jieun, here a hug from me.

P.S hopefully you guys could recommend me a more fitting picture for this chapter :D