Habits and Farewell

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

For a few consecutive days, the internal turmoil and external threats of the Lee’s Corporate was the main interest of the local economy column tabloids. Suho was skimming through the news, but when the whispering of those gloating over the Lee’s misfortune slowly grew louder and less subdue, he folded the newspaper and hushed the murmurings with his glare. Suho held in a sigh and went to the window, gazing at the azure sky like how she always did; she did not come by for quite some time.

 

Thinking of the devil, the moment Suho lowered down his head, he saw Jieun who was looking up to his direction. Somehow she appeared to be childlike, with the sunlight shimmering in her brown orbs. At the same time, she looked doleful, like a child whose eyes b with tears.

Suho felt that he should smile to reciprocate hers which was always for him. The corners of his lips slowly lifted and about to stretch further until he noticed Jieun’s toothy smile was nowhere to be seen. Instead, her gaze left him hastily and she continued to walk on, missing the small smile on his lips that had now stiffened into despondency.

 

It was nowhere better when Suho met her later on the very same day just when she came out from his house, witnessing her hostile expression up close for the first time and again was treated with her unusual cold shoulder. Then, the days passed by without her presence.

 

Suho often forgot his mobile phone; a habit due to the constant disturbance by others. At first, it was because of Jieun’s constant bugging which exasperated him. Then, her calls and her text messages had lessened and gradually stopped. It somehow changed to being contacted by girls who he mostly did not know and they talked about meaningless or unfathomable things. The phone had become even more insignificant when he got himself a watch, since then, the mobile device had become rather negligible.

 

As far as Suho was concerned, he rarely thought it was inconvenient despite the absence of his phone because no matter where he went, the harassment from the phone persisted, only in another way and was never gone. Nevertheless, today was different; he had forgotten the device like usual, but he felt restless and apprehensive. Only when Suho saw the familiar blonde locks by the staircase entrance, the uneasiness was dispersed.

 

Jieun was standing by the entrance to his department, revealing her ever charming smile when she caught his eyes; as if the cold treatment from the previous days were just a figment of Suho’s imagination.

 

As the saying goes- Habits change into character, Suho was unable to muster a smile for the girl even though he wanted to because he was too used to either frowning or scowling at her. Between them was the swarming crowd from the lecture rooms which prevented Suho from approaching her straightaway whereas Jieun only patiently remained at her spot. Both of them were too caught up in their own thoughts that they did not realize their roles were changing; she had always been the one to initiate and him being passive.

 

The crowd looked at the two curiously and some even began to point finger at Jieun, openly mocking her misfortune. Suho’s frown deepened at this, he quickly changed to another direction. He knew Jieun would follow him and all he wanted was a place with lesser people so that they could catch up with one another.

 

She knew how much Suho disliked being seen with her. He wanted nothing to do with the malicious criticism and slander that follow her like a shadow, it would taint his image. Jieun’s smile faltered and she lowered her head to hide her uncertainty. Never had she thought it would come a day which she struggled to mask her emotions. Sneering at herself, Jieun straightened her back and cast a glance to the whispering gossipers. She flipped her hair, the red diamonds on her hair band glittered at the movement and the murmurings died down. By the time the crowd came to their senses, both Suho and Jieun were far gone from the hall.

 

Soon, Jieun saw the familiar back she could recognize anywhere anytime. She did not go to his side like she always did. Jieun merely followed him behind and tried to match his strides, but his long legs and hurried steps made it hard for her to copy. Jieun gritted her teeth, wanting to remain in keeping up with his pace, but the long strides were making her tired. Tired, a word she never thought would associate with anything relating to Suho turned up today.

 

At first, slowing down, then, after much hesitance, Jieun came to a stop and finally raised her head. The sunlight shone on her face made her eyes shut tight. Behind her eyelids, she could still see the ghostly vision of Suho’s outstretched dark shadow on the pavement which she had been chasing earlier. The image remained and stilled, Jieun subconsciously walked a step and another, as if she could finally catch up to it. With a misstep, Jieun lost her balance and before she could even flutter her eyes, a warm and firm grip caught her forearm. Her eyes shot open, widening when Suho’s face came into sight. She had unknowingly come to his side and realized Suho’s pace had become the same as hers. Jieun resisted the urge to touch her necklace that was safely tucked behind her shirt, which a bracelet was supposed to be at.

 

At this close proximity and with the only two of them around, Suho racked his brain to utter a sentence that would make up his countless questions and thoughts regarding Jieun’s wellbeing. When the news of her family’s deteriorating business condition being reported for consecutive days, Suho never once missed a day to ask his parents about it but to only be carelessly replied that he should not give too much thought on it. Suho would have continued to ask more about the Lee’s company if it was not that his parents finally confirmed with him that they would aid the Lee’s.

 

Suho knew the finance ability of his family’s company was not much far off from the Lee’s at their prime. Therefore, with the affirmation of his parents’ statement and now seeing the look of tranquillity on Jieun’s face, it seemed that her family’s condition was not as dire and irreversible as how the reports described.

 

Everything will be fine, thinking this, Suho decided not to mention anything about the company, just in case it would dampen Jieun’s spirit. Yet, with this decision, Suho realized he had nothing else to talk of. Just as he was in deep thoughts to come up with something he can talk with Jieun, Naeun showed up out of a blue and caught Suho off guard.

 

“Suho oppa! Let’s go to the bookstore and buy the novel you recommended me!”

 

Happening to see Suho’s surprised face, Naeun gave a smile wider than usual because Suho rarely displayed other emotions aside from the polite smile yet detached demeanour.

 

Suho opened and closed his mouth, uncertain of how he should reject Naeun. Just then, Naeun’s cheeks coloured when she noticed Jieun who was standing right beside Suho and a feeling of disappointment pooled in her chest.

 

“…I suppose you two have plans…”

 

Suho was about to say something, but, Jieun was faster than him.

 

“Yes, we have and we’re about to leave.”

 

Naeun felt even more awkward and looked towards Suho, waiting for him to refute or something, but, he remained silent, seemingly to confirm what Jieun had said. Her cheeks were no longer red but paled.

 

“The- then, I guess we’ll go next time. I have an errand to do, see you.” Naeun hastily left after biding her brisk goodbye.

 

Of course, Jieun noticed how Nauen’s face paled after she said back ‘Bye’ rather monotonously. Jieun sighed inwardly, eyes staying at the pink figure until it was out of her sight.

 

I only have this one time, after today, you’ll have plenty of time to spend with him…

 

Nevertheless, what happened earlier reminded Suho of how Jieun could act up to just to drive away the girls who approached him. His eyebrows furrowed at the thought that she was starting it again. Seeing upon Suho’s reaction, Jieun knew what he was thinking and out of consideration, she assured him.

 

“I know she’s special, I won’t do anything to her.”

 

However, Jieun was too cautious of her tone that it came out to be strangely unconvincing with the lack of emotion. Suho’s frown deepened and he even sounded impatient as he spoke.

 

“I’m going to the bookstore, you coming?”

 

It turned out that I’m the one who disrupted your plan with her…

 

Not wanting to further upset Suho, Jieun only nodded and was awfully quiet on their way to the subway station. The train was considerably empty since it was still office hours, but, this made Suho slightly nervous because he did not what to do to ease the uneasiness that was building up as Jieun continued to be quiet. If it was before, she would be chatting away or ended up doing something which he most likely would reprimand her for doing so. Yet now, Suho was not used to the silence surrounding them. In the end, he wore his headset and closed his eyes. He knew anytime from now, Jieun would break the silence and it would be just like before.

 

Jieun, on the other hand, only watched Suho’s side profile, carefully looking over each of his features. Her eyes trailed his clean forehead, the long lashes that trembled from time to time, his soft cheeks which would rise to reveal his row of teeth if he smiles and his eyes crinkle, similarly to a cheeky and cheerful child. How long did she not see such smile from him that she would have forgotten if she did not constantly think of it?

 

She remembered so many things about him, the one who had been by her side, growing up with her, experiencing and witnessing each and every moment in his life. But, how about him? Was he the same? Or he did not even bother to remember? Perhaps, all these years, she was nothing but burden and trouble to him.

 

Just like one little girl which both of them disliked when they were in kindergarten because she constantly pestered Suho. One day, the girl confessed to Suho and Jieun knew he was certainly not happy with it because he could neither say no nor accept; the girl was known to be a spoiled cry baby and Suho, being the goody two shoes, could not bear to make her cry. Therefore, Jieun ‘saved’ him by kissing his cheek and threatened the little girl to stay away from him. Even so, Suho was embarrassed when the other children  about the kiss and he was so mad that he ignored Jieun for quite a time.

 

Maybe now, she was the pest to him. Jieun continued to look closely at Suho’s side profile and her eyes fixated on his right cheek. If she was deemed a pest, then let her be one until the end.

 

“Xiao Mian… if I were to kiss you now, will you be angry like when we were young?”

 

Jieun mumbled to herself and edged closer to him. It had been so long since they sit near to each other in such peace. Hence, Jieun decided to act out her heart around Suho this time, because she knew, after this, she knew they would hardly have a chance to be this close anymore.

Just as she was one breath away from Suho’s cheek, she stopped and hesitated at the flashback of how she used to take his small hand into hers when they were young. Suho would glare at her but still let her held onto his hand with a look of helplessness. The bittersweet she felt that time scorched into her mind that she could even taste it now.

 

The heat from Suho’s cheek tickled Jieun’s rosy lips and despite being this close, the courage from before dissipated. She dared not to go closer, funny how the fearless girl she was would fear of what could possibly happen if she did it. She did not want their last moment together was him being angry with her. At this thought, she lowered her eyelids in defeat and was about to shift back to her original seat. Yet, Suho’s eyes fluttered, as if woken up from a dream and abruptly turned his head.

 

A humid breath brushed across Jieun’s philtrum. Her eyes widened at the softness and warm sensation on her lips, taking in the familiar scent as she slowly relaxed. Suho’s eyes gradually opened and his eyebrows shot up when he realized what happened.

 

The feeling of his lips on Jieun’s sent him a pleasant humming stir to his whole body. He could feel his own hot breath and Jieun’s lips were so soft that he could not help but to raise his chin slightly, wanting more. For the first time, Suho gazed into her pair of eyes in such proximity and just as how he noticed, her eyes were even more radiant and soul captivating up close. It was as if he could see the innermost of her soul and thoughts, but was it truly her pool of truest emotions? Most of the time, he wondered what was on her mind.

Suho blinked once and noticed his own reflection from Jieun’s half lidded eyes. He looked at himself who seemed mesmerized, affectionate and… happy.

 

Realizing what he was feeling, Suho pulled back, suddenly uncertain with his reaction towards Jieun and frowned. Jieun thought, Suho was shy like her, but when she saw his furrowed eyebrows during the fleet moment he turned his head away, she dismissed the feeling of butterfly in her stomach.

 

Just then, the train reached a station, Suho wasted no time in leaving the carriage. Jieun quickly followed suit too.

 

“Xiao Mian…”

 

Suho heard his pet name which was called with much uncertainty and cautious, but, his strides never stopped.

Seeing this, Jieun came to a halt, bitterly smiled to herself. He was mad after all. In the end, it resulted in a way that she did not want the most. She allowed herself one last time,

 

One last time…

 

then, she would pocket all these, the memories, the feelings, in the deepest part of her heart.

 

“Joonmyun…”

 

“Stand clear of the closing doors.”

 

Jieun did not have the courage to look at his back any longer and hence, lowered her head. Soon, the door rang with the alarm of closing and the door slid. She mustered a smile like she always do for him.

 

“Goodbye…”

 

You no longer have to worry about being seen with me, you can wear your favourite plaid shirts freely, associate with any girls you want to, enjoy your free time without my presence and forever got ridden of this ‘Lee Jieun’ shadow.

 

Mother, you told me Joonmyun was a good kid, if I treat him good, gave all for him like you did to me and remained unchanged, I would be appreciated back. But, mother, you had forgotten that even if I remain unchanged, there was no certainty the other would do the the same too. He grew to dislike me, distancing himself from me and stopped caring for me…

 

Jieun felt dragged down by the gravity pull. She gripped onto the hem of her top and allowed herself to take a deep breath before letting it go slowly.

 

“He seems to be more angry compare to last time…at least…I’m leaving, so I don’t have to see his sulky face again and say sorry…”

 

Only then, Jieun managed to regain a smile and she looked up at her reflection on the glass door. She tied her hair and straightened her back. The red diamonds in her hair shone and she smiled even wider and with confidence.

 

 

-A/N-

Hey, my lovely readers, I'm so sorry for not updating like...months, but for the following week i will be more free and should be able to update another one soon :D. Anyway...so here's a super long update for you all and would you please recommend me any picture that would be fitting for this chapter? I couldn't find one I'm satisfiy with >< I may edit this chapter again tomorrow...but for now enjoy reading and good night!