Hand Left Out In Cold

You, My Warmth Beneath The Frost

Lee Jieun liked Suho- a fact that was well known by all, so did the matter Suho disliked Jieun. The puzzling part was despite not liking Jieun, Suho connived with Jieun's continuous tyrannical actions towards the girls who liked him. Furthermore, Suho might have loathed Jieun, but he would still allow Jieun to stay by his side. As impatient as he would show openly, Suho was never once harsh at her.

Perhaps, Suho was also wary of the power behind Jieun's family?

No. Suho Kim family was in fact also one of the top notches aristocratic people in the whole South Korea (Along with the Lee's).

It did not make sense either if Kim's were to have a joint marriage with the Lee's because with Suho's standard, there were far better candidates that the Kim's would choose.

Then, why?

This was also exactly a question that Suho could not give an answer to. He might be able to name countless reasons he did not like Jieun, but could only remain silence if were to point out aspects that he liked from Jieun. 

Obnoxious, selfish, ill-natured, oppressive... Would there be anyone who would like this kind of girl?

To Suho, Lee Jieun's existence was like a red flag to a bull.

De facto, the Lee's and Kim's were old family friends. Suho's father- Kim Ryuhae and Lee Taewon grew up together and had been good friends since. To Lee Taewon, Kim Ryuhae was more like a brother compared to his blood-related relatives that curried favour him. Ryuhae was the only one that stayed by Taewon's side when he left his family for Jieun's mother. Consequently, both Ryuhae and Taewon's children were each companion since young.

Jieun was never well liked by others even when she was young, including Suho's mother- Solji which her main reason was due to Jieun's mother, Goomi.

Goomi was a Chinese that illegally crossed into South Korea in search for work. She had been working in clubs before she met Lee Taewon. Solji viewed herself highly as a daughter of the well-reputation Hwang family, henceforth interacting with Goomi meant degrading her status. It was natural that Solji looked down upon Jieun that had half Goomi's blood in her. However due to Ryuhae and Taewon's friendship, Solji had always maintained a clinical social relations out of politeness towards Jieun and Goomi. In contrary to his mother, Suho was particularly fond of Goomi and stuck to her like a glue. Which was why, Jieun and Suho spent their early times fighting for Goomi's attention and favour. When Goomi passed away, Suho who sees her as his mother was as heartbroken as Jieun. 

Goomi might be the reason why Suho overlooked Jieun's constant pestering, or so he thought.

〜❅〜

Today, Lee Taewon had events to attend and Jieun was left alone, instinctively she stopped by Suho's house. Just as Jieun's ride reached the gate of the mansion, Suho was coincidentally there in a casual outfit. He did not even lift an eye at the presence of the Maybach and proceeded to head towards the direction of the subway station in the area by foot.

In terms of displaying their respective family background, the two had a drastic difference. Albeit Jieun never flaunted her prestige, she was too overbearing that people discerned the very source of her arrogance- she was loaded. In Suho's case, his genteel and placid personality made people unaware of his well-off family background yet still well-regarded. Just as how he would take public transport like any citizen unless it was urgent. Jieun was well aware of Suho's character, henceforth ditched her ride to follow him to the crowded metro station.

It was a weekend and the station was as congested as during the holiday season. Platform conductors were around to limit the number of passengers at the waiting area. Just then, the platform barricade was pushed out between Suho and Jieun when they were walking with a distance between them like a perfect stranger.

Before Suho could take a step further, his sleeve was tugged and he turned to look at Jieun that was callously held up on the other side.

"I'm with him." Jieun's soft voice was barely heard among the bustling people, but no doubt the staff who was in charge caught it because of the slight flick of an apologetic expression; he mistook them as a couple yet still refused Jieun's request due to safety issues.

"I'm sorry, miss. The people behind will rush in if I opened the barricade"

"I want to be with him." Jieun repeated with a more demanding manner.

Subconsciously, Suho looked down to the small hand that was grasping tightly at the cuff of his shirt. For a fleet moment, Suho was convinced that the owner of the small hand really needed him and could not bear to leave his side. He felt his heart constricted as if suffocated, but he dismissed the feeling with a turn of his head and went further into the waiting area.

Jieun was caught off guard, she did not expect Suho to just leave her then. She slowly retracted her outreach hand, taking in the emptiness that was not unfamiliar. The platform conducted was surprised, however before he could apology, Jieun looked straight at him. She lifted a corner of in sarcasm and pompously said, "You don't allow me to go through just because there're too many people?" 

Unexpecting a retort, the platform conductor faltered while the people behind grew more impatient.

"Please wait for another turn!"

"Why are they allowed first?" Jieun sneered, "Where in fact we bought the ticket at the same time. Just because you coincidentally blocked me instead of them?"

"Please wait-" Clearly, the staff did not see this coming- that a petite girl could talk so offensively and grew agitated when he was rudely cut off.

"Who do you think you are? The government or the Prime Minister himself? Even the Prime Minister is apprehensive to democracy. So what right do you have to stop me? Do you want to be banned from the metro station?"

"How-how dare you say that?" The staff station would have given into his anger if not for the motto of his post- 'Putting the passenger first' and tried his best to suppress his fury.

"I have the freedom to say what I want. As for you, just because you're given this petty authority so you're abusing it to relieve all your dissatisfaction for being mere crew station."

Veritably, it was hard to not hear Jieun's dispute. Unable to withstand it anymore, Suho just simply walked into a train that had just arrived with most of the passengers ascended. Before the train departed, a figure Suho was so used to see came into the very compartment he was in and flagrantly sat beside him. Jieun's Cheshire cat-like grin was disregarded by Suho's turn of his head. Needless to guess, the staff must have had enough of Jieun and let her passed through.

 Gone the haughty girl that spoke so venomously from earlier when Suho remained tight-lipped, giving her the cold shoulder. Suho had always been too caught up with his vexation to notice Jieun's quietness; Jieun hesitantly curled up her fingers into a grip, as if reminisce a hold on something.