Observations

Missing You

Author’s POV

Chanyeol spent that night searching for Yoorin’s profiles on various social networking sites. He tried Facebook, Twitter, Kakaotalk, Line… but to no avail. Just as he was about to give up, he saw a profile on instagram with the same name.

Clicking on it, he saw a collection of pictures and quotes by famous authors, along with some quotes that were unfamiliar to him.

This account looks like it could be hers. Chanyeol thought as she looked at the vague pictures, seemingly embodying the character he thought Ji Yoorin was. Aloof and wary.

There were no pictures of the user to verify that it was the Ji Yoorin he was looking for, but seeing a picture of his favorite brand of cookies along with a carton of his favorite milk surely made his assumption concrete.

Aside from the trivial facts, Chanyeol had to admit that he knew nothing about Yoorin. Now, he knew exactly why he’d told her they didn’t know each other that day they’d encountered each other at the convenience store.

I guess she’s right about considering me as a mere acquaintance… Chanyeol thought wistfully as he stared blankly at his laptop screen.

The next few days, Chanyeol found himself standing outside Yoorin’s classroom every time he could. He stayed outside, observing through the windows as she scribbled away contently, alone… until Sunmi and Lu Han picks her up. She was almost always left alone to ponder, but other times, other students would approach Yoorin and ask her to join them for lunch… but the former would only offer them a smile and decline politely.

It was during these times of observation that Chanyeol was able to see more of Ji Yoorin. The way she smiles as she stares out the window wistfully… The way she tucks her hair behind her ear, out of habit… The way purses her lips as she writes on her binder… They were little things, but he knew they somehow mattered.

As the days of that week flew by, Chanyeol began to notice the bigger things. The way Yoorin stares after her classmates as they scurry out of the classroom… The way she looks expectantly at the doorway after her few moments of basking in her writings… The way her face lights up when she sees Lu Han and Sunmi… The way she stares off into space with sad eyes before shaking it off with a smile..

Chanyeol glanced at her sadly. She’s so… withdrawn.

Chanyeol had been preoccupied with this even as he practiced with the band. Lu Han, Baekhyun and Yixing were getting a bit worried, so they decided to ask.

“Chanyeol, why are you always staring into space with a bothered expression? Are you on drugs?” Baekhyun asked in all seriousness.

Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts to glare at his best friend. “Yah! I am not.”

Lu Han then looked at him with wide eyes, as if he had just found out about a secret. “Don’t tell me…”

“W-what, hyung?” Chanyeol asked cautiously, afraid that Lu Han might actually have a clue on what’s been keeping him preoccupied.

“…You’ve gotten someone pregnant?!” Lu Han exclaimed as he covered his mouth in shock.

“Yah, hyung! I don’t even have a girlfriend.” Chanyeol pointed out as he pondered whether to ask Lu Han about Yoorin.

“Well, if it’s not that serious, then I guess we don’t have to worry… Now, let’s practice!” Lu Han told them as he started playing some notes on his bass.

They ended their practice by sunset and by that time, barely anyone was inside the school premises.

Lu Han, Baekhyun and Yixing all went home immediately after practice while Chanyeol had decided to stay behind to put away the equipment they used.

Just as he was about to return the bass, he saw Yoorin in the same music room as before, playing on her guitar. Chanyeol wasn’t able to hear the melody she was playing, but looking at how her fingers expertly moved across the fretboard told him the girl could play well. Eyes moving from her hands to her face, Chanyeol saw that she was looking at someone with that genuine smile he had seen on her the day they were formally introduced. His eyes scanned the room for the object she was looking at and saw that Yoorin was in the company of her best friend.

Sunmi was seemingly singing her heart out, making weird faces while Yoorin played the guitar and laughed while she tried to sing.

Seeing this scene with no sound to accompany it made it seem much more comical to Chanyeol’s eyes as he felt a smile creep its way onto his lips.

So there’s this immensely cheerful side to her as well.

It seemed as if no matter how much he tries to observe Yoorin, he still couldn’t figure her out. She seems aloof one moment, then she seems so welcoming the next.

That night, Chanyeol decided to seek some answers.

Lu Han-hyung? He asked through text.

After a few seconds, Lu Han responded.

Nae?

With a deep breath, he typed: Can I ask you a question… about Yoorin?

Chanyeol gripped his phone in anticipation as he waited three long minutes for Lu Han’s reply.

As his phone lit up, he glanced upon Lu Han’s response.

Ask Away.

 


Double update! Waaahh! ^^ This is a first for meeee, tbh.

Anyway, sorry for the short chap OTL 

I typed this along with the previous chapter at about 3-5am. xD

Anywayyy, happy reading chingguuuuus! :)))

Thank you so much to the new subs! I hope you're enjoying this so far.

:D Please do tell me what you think! :))) COMMENTS are deeply appreciated. 

Saranghae! :D