Home Visit

Missing You

Yoorin's POV

I woke up to the feeling of the sun's rays caressing my face. I stood up and walked over to the window and saw that today was brighter than usual. It was the kind of brightness that made you think of new beginnings... And I guess, in a way, it's true because it was the beginning of a new season... Summer, to be exact.

Spring flew by faster than I thought, and each day proved to be eventful with the new circle I found myself in. Not one day was dull with Chanyeol and Baekhyun's endless bickering and Yixing's stories of China. Slowly, I found myself beginning to feel a bit of comfort in their company, especially since Lu Han and Sunmi are always there, too.

But as the weather began to get warmer, I started to feel an all-too-familiar coldness within myself. It was as if the seasons had a reverse effect on me, that as my surroundings got brighter, my heart began to get darker... But it wasn't always like this...I didn't used to hate summer. In fact, it used to be my favorite season... Until four years ago.

I glanced at the calendar beside my bed and saw that it was, indeed, officially summer. For most people, it symbolizes the start of brighter things, but for others, it could mean the end. A sad smile crept upon my lips as my eyes found their way to a portrait that made me feel both happy and sad all at the same time.

 

Chanyeol's POV

I walked along the streets of the neighborhood, trying to trace back the same steps I had taken that time I had walked Yoorin home. I'm pretty sure that if I see even a glimpse of their house, I’d know exactly where to go, but for now, this map Sunmi drew is all I've got to find the Ji residence.

Yoorin has been absent from school for more than two weeks now, and aside from my personal curiosity, Kris-hyung also wanted to know why she has been absent from music class, so as a representative, I took the responsibility of checking up on her.

At first, when I asked Sunmi and Lu Han-hyung, they seemed to know what was up, but were reluctant to say anything at all. So I pleaded and reasoned that the teachers were worried about her... And that seemed to work, because right after I said that, Sunmi gave me a drawn map to Yoorin's house, but not without telling me firmly, No matter what happens, don't ask. You'll probably find out for yourself sooner or later, but for now, just check up on her and let her be.

It seemed a bit odd, but I could tell there was something going on, so I just opted not to pry any further.

After a few minutes more of walking, I finally found Yoorin's house. I rang the doorbell twice, and soon enough a lady in her late twenties came to the gates.

“Hello, how may I help you?” the lady asked nicely.

I smiled and bowed before I answered, “Hello, this is where Ji Yoorin lives, right? I'm Park Chanyeol, her classmate from music class... It's just that Yoorin has been missing quite a lot and our teacher asked me to see if she's okay.”

The lady hesitated, but in the end, she let me in and told me to make myself comfortable in the living room while she fetched Yoorin from her room.

I looked around the quite spacious living room of the Jis and two things caught my eye: One was the white grand Bosendorfer piano at the center of the living room and the other was the large portrait of Lee Hongsik placed at the wall.

Lee Hongsik was a famous balladeer and musician, who was considered a genius when it came to composing and arranging songs. I used to idolize him when I was in my preteens, and up till now, I still listen to some of his songs. It's too bad he passed away so suddenly, though. The media weren't really clear on how he died; but his death was unexpected and it shook the whole music industry. And if I'm not mistaken, it was around this time of the year when his passing was announced to the public.

Why do they have his portrait? Maybe Yoorin's parents are fans of his work.

As I was thinking this, I heard someone cough from inside the room. I turned and saw Yoorin, who was still in her pajamas.

“Hi, Yoorin-ah! I just came by to check up on you... Kris-hyung and the others have been worried sick, and with the summer festival coming up, we really need you as the pianist... So...” I rummaged through my knapsack and pulled out several sheets of paper.

“Here. I thought I'd bring you the arrangements and if you're still not feeling well, maybe you can practice it here, at home since you obviously have something to practice on.” I told her, eyeing the piano I'd been admiring just a while ago.

Yoorin looked at me with an unreadable expression before mustering up a sad smile. “I'm sorry for making you worry, Chanyeol-ah. Please tell songsaengnim and the others that I'll be practicing this at home.”

Something was off about Yoorin... She seemed... Disconnected from the world. I wanted to ask her what was wrong, but Sunmi's reminder flashed in my mind and I suppressed it.

“Okay, but Kris-hyung told me that I should at least show you how to play the last arrangement, because it's quite tricky... So, may I?” I asked, gesturing over to the piano once more.

Yoorin nodded absently as she made her way to the sofa, while I arranged the music sheets on the piano.

I sat down and pressed the keys to see if they were in tune, and although the piano felt as if it had been a long time since it was used, all the keys were still in perfect tune, so without further ado, I started playing Prokofiev's Sonata No.7.

The beginning of the piece was loud and tense, but as it got to the middle, it began to soften with a mixture of notes that were highly unlikely, but seemed to work.

I don't know what Prokofiev was going through when he wrote this sonata, but I'm sure he must have been feeling some kind of inner turmoil for him to be able to create a piece as complex and contrasting as this one.

I played some more, channeling the appropriate emotions for the song and before I knew it, the song was finished.

It was only then that I noticed a beautiful, middle aged woman with short brown hair standing near the doorway with an expression that could be deemed as surprise. I saw the resemblance right away, so I bowed down in respect before greeting.

“Annyeong haseyo, Park Chanyeol imnida!”

Yoorin's mom smiled and waved back. “Hello, I'm Ji Miseok, Yoorin's mother. It's nice to meet you, Chanyeol-ssi.”

“It's nice to meet you, too Mrs. Ji. I'm sorry for intruding in your home, I just came by to check up on Yoorin and to give her the arrangements for the summer festival.”

“Oh.. How nice of you! Well, maybe you should stay for dinner. I'm sure Joohee cooked something delicious.”

I shook my head shyly at this. “I really shouldn't...”

“Why? Are your parents going to be mad?” Yoorin's mom asked.

Again, I shook my head. “No, actually, it's just me. My parents and my older sister are all in the US.”

With this, she smiled and patted my shoulder. “Then I insist. Come on, dinner should be ready.”

Along with Yoorin, Mrs. Ji led us to the dining room and had their helper, Joohee, prepare the table.

After setting up, Joohee-noona sat with us at the dinner table and ate.

We talked during dinner and I found out that Joohee-noona was actually a scholar of Dr. Ji aka Yoorin's mom. She was a friend's daughter, and since she can't afford to go to med school anymore, she asked the Jis for help and in return, she'd serve as their maid. The Jis just wanted to adopt her officially so that there will be no need for her to serve them, but Joohee was against it and said that she didn't want to take advantage of their kindness, so she worked around the house during her free time.

Joohee-noona, Mrs. Ji and I talked lightheartedly during the meal and we had fun stories to tell, but I couldn't help but notice Yoorin's quietness. As the conversation jumped from one topic to another, I learned more about Yoorin than I'd ever imagined I would.

“Yoorin told me once that she refused to go to sleep without her ukelele next to her. Is that true?” I asked, recalling the first time Yoorin and I talked about music.

“Yes, she even wants to bring it to school, the mall... Even the amusement park!” Mrs. Ji told me, chuckling.

“Well, it definitely paid off. She's gotten really good.”

“I can say the same for you, Chanyeol-ah. That piece was pretty hard to pull off. I'd only ever seen two people who could play it that well.” Mrs. Ji complimented.

I blushed and scratched my head. “Jinjja? Thank you so much, that means a lot. I've heard it live once at the late Lee Hongsik's concert and I was inspired, so I practiced it day and night until I could get it right... By the way, Mrs. Ji, I saw a portrait of Lee Hongsik in the living room, were you a fan or something?”

I don't know if it was just me, but everyone grew quiet the moment I asked.

After a few more moments of silence, Mrs. Ji spoke again. “Yes, of course, I was... You could even say that I was his biggest fan.. I am his wife, after all.”

After that, all of us resumed dinner quietly. I didn't know how to proceed with the conversation, so I just opted to stay quiet.

After dinner, I told them that I had to go home, so I bid goodbye to Yoorin's mom and Joohee-noona, but not without apologizing.

“Thank you for the meal, Mrs. Ji... And I really am sorry for earlier.”

“You're welcome, Chanyeol-ah... There's no need to be sorry. Come back again, okay?”

“Nae.” I bowed before them and started to exit the gates, when I heard Yoorin say.

“I'll walk you out.”

She caught up to me and walked alongside me quietly.

Once we were outside the gates, she spoke. “I'm sorry you had to find out this way, and I'm sorry for making you guys worry... But I'm okay now. I'll be back at school on Monday.”

I looked at her blank expression and discovered immediately the facade she was trying so hard to put up.

How long has she been keeping this all to herself?

With another glance at Ji Yoorin's slim frame, impulse took over and I pulled her in for a hug. I know she doesn't normally do this kind of thing with just anyone, but I also know that it's what she needs right now.

She seemed shocked at first, but she didn't pull away.

I put my chin on top of her head and spoke, “It's okay to cry... You shouldn't have to bottle them all up inside. It'll only make you sadder.”

Yoorin pulled back from the hug and said with a faint smile, “I think I've already used up all my tears.”

I reached over her face and caught a teardrop that was just about to fall. “...Not all of them.”

I then patted her head before turning to leave. “This might be too soon for you, but you should know that I'm always here okay?”

With glossy eyes, she gave a curt nod.

“Oh, and one more thing! Here...” I told her as I threw her a plastic bag from the nearby convenience store. “..to cheer you up.”

I gave her one last smile before walking ahead, and I don't know if it was just my hallucination, but I think I heard a faint “Thank you.

 


                       Helloooo guys! It's been a while since the last update, so I really hope you liked this one.

                         I'm sorry I haven't been able to write for so long... school's been really hectic. :((((

                        Anyway... this chapter is dedicated to Exo880408 and vanadium_elmm. :)))))

                        Thank you so much for the support.. and to everyone who hasn't unsubbed this until now...

                        Jeongmal kamsahamnidaaaa! Saranghaeyo!

                        I won't be making any promises as to when I'll update but I'll try to post them as soon as I finish with a chapter.

                        Okaaayyy. That's all. Hehe. Till next time, chinggus! :D