Chapter 06

Paper Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Author POV

The sun had sunk in the west, the blue skies turned grey already when the night comes. An autumn breeze hits her, Hayi has been waiting on Hanbin for almost 4 hours. She wants to give his birthday present. She huffed for a few time, both her hands were turning white because of the coldness, it just too cold outside but she kept bear it—just for Hanbin's sake and their childhood promise. She looked at the cakes and her present box beside her—staring blankly at those things. She turned her head off to the entrance gate of the park right after she heard a footstep—hoping if it was Kim Hanbin, she's squeezing her tie as the anxiety hits her more, she expect it but everything turned to be a huge disappointment when she had saw that it wasn't Hanbin.

"He will come, I know." Hayi mumbled at herself, despite of anything that happened today—she's still willing to wait on him.

In the other place, somewhere around seoul district, in one cozy cafe—the place where Hanbin and Wendy at, it supposed to be a fun day since it was Hanbin's birthday, so did Wendy who had done and prepared anything for him; cake & gift. But rather than showing that he felt happy or grateful, he just looking uneasy and unexcited at all which is pissing Wendy off.

"Can you appreciate me a bit?" She asked him, demanding his full attention only for her but rather than responding to her rampages, Hanbin kept ignoring her by playing with his cellphone as if she was invisible.

"Kim Hanbin!" She exclaimed, this time Hanbin finally take a look on her, he looks straight into her eyes, but his eyes told her that he felt so irritated. Wendy tried to smile, she was about to give him a present when out of a sudden he stood up from his seat as he says, "I need to go. I am sorry, noona."

Wendy stared vigorously at him, too upset and getting frustrated at the same time. She curled up all her fingers into a fist, her jaw clenched, "You bastard." She said, mad at him.

"I know, thats why I said I am sorry." Hanbin said as he left Wendy all alone - with all of her tears and pain, no matter how many time she tried to approach him the gap between them is become more bigger and farther away each days.

Wendy lifted her head as she felt someone touch her back, she knows it right away who is he - those warm touch of that magical hands, Nam Taehyun. Now, Taehyun is kneeling down right in front of her, with a tip of his thumb he wipes away all her tears. Wendy is still sobbing hard as she take a look at Taehyun - her only beloved best friend as well as her lover intently. Taehyun touched her head gently as he pulled her into his embrace, at that time, the only thing that she wanted so much right now is being on Taehyun side at any costs because he is the only person who can make her calm, the only safest place to rely on.

He caressed her hair gently as he slowly kiss her head for a brief moment and he says, "I told you to stop, why are you being so stubborn?"

"Then, how about you? Why don't you stop?" She asked him as she hide her beautiful face on his chest. He cupped both her cheeks and lifted her head, so their eyes could meet into each other; into their souls, into their deepest heart and their true feelings, "you know, I can't." Taehyun said.


* * *


It seemed that Hanbin couldn't act calm, he looked at his phone repeatedly as if he was waiting someone to text him or call him. His eyes are wandering around through the window - everything seems like moving in slow motion, like it just prevent him to get back quickly when all he want right now is going back home, to the place where Hayi at.

Hanbin head off from the subway right after the subway had stopped. He dashed and went straight to the place where Hayi at - to the playground where they used to spent their times as a child. Hanbin run and run as if tomorrow never exist, he know that Hayi is currently waiting on him through the cold night, he don't mind the pain on his chest for every step that he takes, the fact that Hayi never love him more than a friend is doesn't matter anymore - he needs to see her at all costs now.

Hanbin stopped his way after he had reached the place. His heart clenched when he saw a girl that he love the most, sitting quietly at the bench park all alone - waiting on him and only him. Even-though, he just looking at her from behind, he know who she is - with her head down, showing her white nape. He took a few step closer to her, so close until he could see her reddened cheeks in a pale peach color, both her lips are parted and her eyes are open wide right now, happy for seeing Hanbin right before her eyes.

"I know you will come." She smiled.

"Are you cold?" Hanbin asked her, worried. He reached both her reddened cheeks to keep her warm. No matter how much he tried to get her out of his mind it never work out, her existence is way too strong imprinted in his mind and irreversible.

Hayi shook her head, rather than angry Hayi feel glad and grateful that Hanbin came to see her. She smiles at him, "It feels cold just a little, though." She added, trying to reassure him that she was okay.

Hanbin chuckled as he grabbed her wrist, "just a little, you say? Look, your hands are turning white! Are you a fool? I said that I won't come."

"But you came." Hayi cuts his words as she staring at him intently but Hanbin didn't budge at all nor staring at her back and it broke Hayi's heart so much, no matter how much she tried to accept it, she couldn't accept the fact that Hanbin has fallen for her and she hate her selfishness for couldn't accept Hanbin's decision; out of her life.

"Saengil chukkae, Hanbin-ah." Hayi broke their silence as she handed Hanbin's birthday gift. Hanbin sighed and took that book from her hands, "thanks." He said with a slightly smile.

Hayi couldn't bear it anymore, slowly she cupped both Hanbin's cheeks so then their eyes could meet into each other. Hanbin could see a clouded tears around her eyes and it breaks his heart into a million pieces, but he know, once he wiped that tears away, he would cross the line once again. It would back to the square one when he's supposed to move on.

"Is it really hard for you?" Hayi asked Hanbin reluctantly. Her voices were cracking, and her tears started to fall, down to her cheeks and this time Hanbin couldn't help it any longer. He pulled her into his arms without even think, embrace her tiny body with all he might be. If he could asked for a wishes, he hoped that the time would be stopped and stay like this forever, when he had her on his arms.

"Hayi stop crying, I can't bear it to see you cry and please I wasn't supposed to be avoiding you, but I have to." He whispered, he hugged her more tightly, he don't want to let her go and being away from her is killing him softly.

"That's why, this is the last time and I will let you go." Hayi finally said and get her hands away from him, she stepped backward—step by step, slowly as much as she can, so she could remember Hanbin's face for the last time and keep it on her mind. A gentle and sweet Hanbin, her beloved best friend, "good bye, Hanbin." Hayi added before she left him completely. Hanbin didn't have an urge to hold her except letting her go and watched her disappear like a dust—it’s all scattered, everything seems like to suffocate him as it make him hard to breath and started to cry.


* * *

Hayi POV

Morning has come, the sun shines brightly as if it would burn you up. I stepped outside, wondering around at the every space, every corner of the streets in front of me. Hanbin’s existence was nothing to be found. Somehow, I feel lost and completely lonely without Hanbin.

I just hoping that today would be ended soon and days passed one by one real quick until everything back to normal—time would heal, right? Until that time comes, I have to bear it but the urge of wanting to skip that day is much bigger than I expect it.

Today class has ended, it went so damn long than usual. I just wonder, maybe it’s all because I really want to skip it as soon as possible but in the other case, I am glad that today I am able to avoid Hanbin. None of us were trying to speak each other, it just make us like a perfect strangers.

I went out of the class together with Jisoo. I heard all her stories with Bobby oppa, she told me that Bobby might be feeling the same way as hers, which was great. I secretly envy her, she could convey her feeling very well. I wonder if I could do the same thing like her—conveying all my feeling over Taehyun sunbae.

I stopped as soon as I caught Hanbin in front of me, laughing with his friends. I turned over just in case he would see me in any second, at that time I just thinking about the proper way to leave and excuses to avoiding him.

“Hanbin’s here.” Jisoo said, I ignored as possible as I could. She glanced at me, she knows something might be up between me and Hanbin, “did you fought again?”

“Nope. I think, I should go.”

“Hayi-ya…” I put my finger on my lips, motioning Jisoo to keep her shut but it was pointless when I glanced at Hanbin as our eyes met. His dark eyes feels so intimidate me, his gaze somehow seemed so strong as if it could take my breath away.

I swiveled over and dashed away from him, as far as I could. I ran down the stairs, passed the school hallway until I finally reached the school’s yard. My chest feel tightens and barely breathing.

“Whoa, have you practiced for marathon or something?” Someone snapped me with his deep voice. I was about to jump from my place when I turned my head over him, Taehyun sunbae had already standing there, beside me.

“Sunbae… oh my God, I thought that you were a ghost!”

He laughed as he caressed my hair, I flushed.

“Why did you run like crazy?” He asks. I watched his eyes were twinkling, it just looked so beautiful. It’s different with Hanbin’s strong gaze, Taehyun’s gaze could make me feel at ease while Hanbin’s gaze would make me feel hardly to breathe—uneasy.

“Hanbin was there and I am trying to avoid him.” I murmured.

“Why? Do you have a problem with him?”

“Um, nope.”

He chuckled and leaned closer, I blinked my eyes repeatedly but it was feeling different than the last time, my heart feels calm.

“Do you want to join me?”

Oh wait, did he invite me to date? Are we having a date? My brain-function can’t even analyzing his words properly. My heart started to race.

“Don’t worry, it’s not a date though.” He said it so casually as if he could read my mind. Not a date? Well, I suppose I won’t expect anything before so I wouldn’t feel disappointed.

“Where are we going?” I asked him reluctantly.

“You will know, I am going to help you both.” He said as he took a lead of me by grabbing my wrist. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to analyzing his words when he said ‘help you both’—both, who?

* * *

Taehyun sunbae dragged me along with him, so I just quietly following him wherever he leads me to. I stared blankly as soon as we reached El Caliopta, one of a decent Mexican café somewhere in Hongdae area which as far as I know, Hanbin always spend his time here with all of his friends. I panicked out of sudden.

“Come in.” Taehyun sunbae titled his head, gesturing me to come in. , I just hoping that Hanbin wouldn’t come here or else it would be a total awkward.

I sighed as I stepped up the stairs. The café located at the second floor, you could see some Mexican touch as you entered to the café. The delicious smells of tacos were lingering in every space of this place.

My pulse increasing in every step that I took, doubled when I could heard Hanbin’s voice were echoing in my ears very clearly. I just want to runaway but Taehyun sunbae knows as he suddenly held my hands as if he won’t let me to runaway. At that time, I’d wish to disappear or become invisible.

“Hi, guys. Sorry I am late.” Tae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter