What even is Quidditch?

What happens at Hogwarts stays at Hogwarts

Sehun was walking down towards the Quidditch pitch, closely followed by the two Gryffindors who’d inconspicuously (not really) been stalking him ever since that fateful day outside the girls’ bathroom with the rat. If Sehun sat with Baekhyun at lunch they would conveniently sit right beside him, glancing over the bacon at Sehun, and if Baekhyun spent his lunch elsewhere the pair would sit at their own table “reading” newspapers with eyeholes cut out from them. Discretion wasn’t exactly their thing, Sehun thought. Since they seemed to be close friends with Baekhyun he had asked him about them but the other had only told him that they were idiots and to ignore them. They were Gryffindors after all so what could you expect.

 

Speaking of Baekhyun, Sehun was a bit pissed about being ditched once again by all the other Slytherins. He could understand Tao and Taemin, as they obviously had to prep with the team, but the rest? No. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had run away from him when he’d arrived at breakfast with shouts of having to get the best spots (Sehun calls bull at that one as you could see the field just as well from basically anywhere on the stands) and Kris had magically disappeared after claiming to need to use the bathroom (either he lied or he was still there). So now, again, Sehun has to walk all by his lonesome to the Quidditch pitch.

 

It wasn’t hard to find Kyungsoo and Baekhyun once he arrived as they somehow had managed to bring an enormous, green banner that said ‘Go, Taemin and Tao, Go!” in sparkling, silver letters (when Sehun got closer he noticed the tiny yellow square in the lower right corner that said ‘We believe in you, Jongin!’) with them that now was floating above their heads. He sat down heavily beside Baekhyun and gave them both a very pointed look that clearly said ‘please explain why you’re a pair of asshats that couldn’t even wait five minutes for me as normal good friends would’. Or at least that’s the message Sehun wanted to convey.

 

“Hey, don’t blame me! Blame Soo!” Baekhyun was quick to blame so Sehun guessed that his glare must have spoken a little at least. “It’s his fault that we need to get here early so that we get to be as close as possible to the field and the stairs leading down to it!”

 

“Well, I’d rather be here early than too late like that time two years ago…” Kyungsoo answered and both of them shuddered just from the thought of it.

 

“Yeah, that was quite gruesome…” Baekhyun agreed.

 

Sehun didn’t know if he really wanted to know what had happened two years ago but at the same time he wanted to know why their seats was so important. So he asked.

 

“In case of an injury, obviously.” Baekhyun answered as if that was the most obvious thing ever.

 

“Injuries? Is that common?” Sehun asked, worried that what he was going to watch wasn’t a friendly game of Quidditch but some kind of horrible bloodbath between houses. “And also if there is, aren’t the teachers handling that?”

 

“Of course they are. But this worrywart,“ cue Baekhyun throwing his arm around Kyungsoo and squeezing him into a side hug of sorts “can’t stand not knowing what happens to his Jonginnie so he has to get down to the field as quick as possible whenever something happens to hold his hand.”

 

“I react just the same when it’s Taemin that gets injured!” Kyungsoo splutters as he breaks free from Baekhyun’s hold. “And I don’t hold his hand…”

 

“Of course you don’t.” Baekhyun snickers.

 

“And also if it weren’t for you knowing that Muggle Heimsteich move, or whatever, it would have ended extremely bad in our third year.” Kyungsoo quickly says, trying to change the subject “Why do wizards always have to use magic in the most unnecessary situations?” He adds with a quiet grumble.

 

“Heimlich manoeuvre.” Baekhyun corrects “and madam Hooch would probably think of it sooner or later anyways. And either way it’s more than right for us to contribute at least a little since all these injuries basically are our fault.” He continues and Kyungsoo agrees with a grim nod.

 

“Your fault?” Sehun asks, ignoring the mumbles of ‘raise that bloody banner a bit higher so I can ing see something or I will murder your toads and eat all your candy’ from the people that had begun to enter the stands and were now trying to see something from the row behind Sehun and the others.

 

“We did give them one copy each of Quidditch Through the Ages…”

 

“And they mention quite a lot of fouls in there…”

 

“Which gave them the idea…”

 

“To see who could get away with the most fouls during a game…”

 

“Which then led to them researching and finding more fouls…”

 

“Also more obscure fouls…”

 

“That they simply ‘had to try out’…”

 

“So basically they have a bet going on…”

 

“Two boys…”

 

“One game…”

 

“Who will win?”

 

“Who will lose?”

 

“The result will be astounding…”

 

“No one would ever predict it…”

 

“The Lee Twins…”

 

“Soon on VHS and DVD.”

 

 

“Have you guys practiced that?” Sehun asked as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun still were dramatically looking out into the horizon.

 

“Nope we’re just awesome.” Baekhyun then answered with a blinding smile, ruining everyone’s chance of becoming the next Minister of Magic and the moment all at the same time.

 

“However I might add that they’re absolutely not trying to injure one another.” Kyungsoo added as if to reassure Sehun that the twins weren’t completely bat crazy after all. Sehun wasn’t entirely convinced.

 

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone put out a fire as fast as Taemin. Like, he was almost faster to put it out than he was to conjure it, and that’s impressive!” That statement did absolutely nothing to diminish Sehun’s worries about this Quidditch match.

 

“Shut up, it seems like it’s about to start now.” Kyungsoo said as he hit Baekhyun to make sure that he wouldn’t say anything more. And it seemed as if he was right as Sehun could see the two teams enter the field from opposite sides. Sehun looked over to the teacher’s tower and saw a young Ravenclaw happily preparing herself to narrate the game. If he remembered correctly her name was Adriana Hart.

 

“Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the Quidditch game you’ve all been waiting for: Hufflepuff vs. Slytherin!”

 

“This is the highlight of the year.” Baekhyun explained to Sehun “Considering Taemin’s and Jongin’s antics it’s always the most interesting game.”

 

“I’m your commentator, Adriana Hart, and I’ll explain everything so that even if you fall asleep you won’t miss a thing.” Her voice echoed around the pitch as both team’s players got on their brooms and Madam Hooch said something to them. “And I mean that as a good thing not in a way that means I won’t say anything meaningful. I’ll be great, I promise.

 

“And with the release of the balls from Referee Hooch they’re off!” As soon as Madam Hooch threw the Quaffle into the air all players were in motion and Sehun stands up with a cheer together with the rest of the Slytherins as Eric is the first to reach the Quaffle.

 

“Wrong catches the Quaffle and passes to Lee, expertly reading and avoiding Kudrjavtseva, one of the Hufflepuff team’s many new faces this year. Alongside Kudrjavtseva we also have Tähtinen and Wang as new Hufflepuff players and in Slytherin we have Minwoo No as the new seeker, taking former star Jimin’s place. He’s currently flying high above the pitch looking bored, probably searching for the Snitch. Minwoo I mean. Not Jimin. Jimin’s most likely in the stands. But what do I know…”

 

“Did I hear ‘Tähtinen’?” Sehun excitedly nudged elbowed Baekhyun. Last time Sehun had been in Finland he’d lived with a family whose surname was Tähtinen and if this Hufflepuff girl was related to them this might mean that Sehun could make a new friend. Not that he didn’t like his current friends, but the more the merrier, right?

 

He never got an answer from Baekhyun as Taemin did a loop to avoid a Bludger from Jonghyun to then pass the Quaffle to Taekwoon who effortlessly scored a goal. All the Slytherins (and whoever else rooted for their team) stood up with an ear deafening cheer and Kyungsoo had their huge banner do a little dance before settling down again.

 

“And it’s 10-0 for Slytherin as their chasers show us some fantastic teamwork and a beautiful goal from Jung. Let’s see if Hufflepuff can answer as the other Lee – professor, can’t I just call them by their first names? – is in possession of the Quaffle. He passes to Tähtinen… and it’s back to Lee… back again to Tähtin- Ouch, that must’ve hurt. Tähtinen is hit by a Bludger from Huang and the Quaffle is back in Slytherin’s hands as Wrong catches it.”

 

“That’s my boy!” Baekhyun screams as he hugs Kyungsoo and Sehun thinks that the letters spelling Tao’s name on the banner are sparkling a bit brighter.

 

“And it’s 20-0 as Lee scores another goal for Slytherin. The right Lee that is as it would be quite embarrassing if Jongin scored for the wrong team… again. It happened two years ago and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do that, it’s not exactly a common thing to take place. Kudrjavtseva is trying to score for Hufflepuff, and it’s probably the best chance for a goal we’ve seen for Hufflepuff so far but Summers saves. A good addition to the Slytherin team since last year that girl. An exceptionally good keeper she is. And we have 30-0 to Slytherin as Lee scores once again taking advantage of the many Hufflepuffs being on the wrong half of the field.”

 

And the game continues like that, Slytherin scoring most of the points as the Hufflepuff keeper Yixing Zhang seems to have a tough time guarding the goals. The score is now 90-20 to Slytherin and Sehun has yet to see the famous Lee fouls that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had spoken about. He had started to relax a bit, thinking that maybe today would be the day that nothing weird happened.

 

And just as he thought that Kyungsoo suddenly shot up from his seat eyes fixated on something on the field. Sehun followed his gaze and saw Jongin fighting to keep himself upright against the weight of a longsword that he was currently holding in his left hand while dangling upside down from his broom. One by one the other players started to notice the slowly descending upside down Jongin and soon the whole game had paused as they were watching the struggling Hufflepuff. Adriana was for once completely quiet and even Madam Hooch didn’t seem to know what to do, as she was standing just as still and quiet as everybody else. About 10 seconds passed like this until Jongin decided to give up and drop the sword. He got himself upright and that’s when everyone realised that they still had a game to play. A confusing situation that Adele Tähtinen took complete advantage off as she with a light toss threw the Quaffle right past Ebony and scored a goal for Hufflepuff.

 

And so the game was on again. Neither Minwoo or Julia had made any move at catching the Snitch as of yet, they were both still circling above the rest of the players only stopping sometimes to share something funny they’d seen from above. The two of them seemed to be good friends despite Minwoo being three years younger than Julia and from a rival Hogwarts house. It was quite a fun sight to see when Julia impersonated the upside down Jongin and Minwoo answering by copying Ebony’s unconscious posing while waiting for Hufflepuff to attack.

 

For quite some time the game continued as normal as it could get, only a few tackles and cat distractions when Hooch didn’t look. The next interesting thing to happen was when the score was 110-60 to Slytherin and Taemin seemingly pretended to fall asleep on top of Jongin so he dropped the Quaffle and Eric could catch it from below. Madam Hooch didn’t buy Taemin’s story though so it all ended with a penalty shot that Jongin easily scored. That seemed to spark the Slytherins as the suddenly started to fly, throw and hit with even more precision than before and soon they were up to a 100-point lead.

 

Sehun had almost started to get bored as it now seemed as if Slytherin would win easily and therefore it probably was his fault to what happened next (as fate clearly was against him…). Everything was going smoothly, Taemin was scoring more than usual (or so Sehun was told), Adriana commentated relevant information and the audience was happy. Then suddenly the whole pitch turned black and it all, surprisingly, seemed to origin from Jongin (to Kyungsoo’s horror). It was first when people started screaming and ducking in terror that Sehun realised that the blackness actually was a huge amount of live bats that now were flying out over the audience, trying to get away from the pitch.

 

After a short time the bats seemed to be gone and Sehun dared to open his eyes and remove his arms from above his head. He noticed that most of the Quidditch players actually had managed to stay airborne and by the time he saw that Jongin was lying in a heap beneath the Slytherin goal posts Taemin and Kyungsoo was already by his side. 

 


 

 

AN: 

I'm back from the dead!! Only to be killed by SHINee's trailer... It looks sooooooo good!!! But why do they look so sad?? And why is the car from EXO's monster there?? And why are they killing Taemin?? So many questions... I can't wait!! SHINee's Back!! Again!! And I'm so happy:')

And I've managed to get a friend into kpop bwahahahaha she's only into BTS (and 4minute's Hate... 4minute... I miss you...) as of now... but she's learned all of their names and she's looked up a bunch of interviews with them because she wanted to learn more about Jimin x) I'm so proud x) Now the next step in my plan is to get her to like shinee and exo too... and make her realise that girl groups are ing amazing... *evil hand rubbing*

 

 

SHINEE'S BACK!!!!!!