Brooms are for cleaning, not flying

What happens at Hogwarts stays at Hogwarts

He had been in his old school’s Quidditch team, there was no need for him to be nervous. At least that was what Sehun tried to tell himself as he was walking down towards the Quidditch pitch. Then again he had played in next to no games as basically all of them were cancelled due to heavy snowstorms. The ones that weren’t probably should’ve been as all the times they did play at least half of the players had needed to be taken to the hospital due to various reasons (most of them being related to the horrendous weather). He actually didn’t know how good he was at flying, as he had never played during normal circumstances. So if they somehow could simulate a snowstorm just for him it would be great.

 

As he started getting nearer to his destination he could feel his nerves getting bigger and it didn’t help that Kyungsoo had ditched him earlier that day so he had to walk all awkwardly by himself to the try-outs. He just hoped that the other would at least show up there so he wouldn’t have to be alone during them too. It was bad enough having to arrive alone but to make a fool of himself all by himself too was which he’d rather not do (then again maybe he would perform amazingly and not embarrass himself at all).

 

Apparently he wouldn’t have to do either thing alone as he caught Kyungsoo trying to sneak out of the pitch just when Sehun was about to enter. Kyungsoo had gotten there earlier with Baekhyun and Jongin (who were now sitting in the stands) but had decided to run away before the try-outs even started. Sehun was just about to happily join him and just leave this whole thing behind him when Taemin suddenly stuck out his head (to look for first years who couldn’t find their way most probably) and greeted them with a huge smile and a short speech about how happy he was that they’d decided to show up and help him out. So now they were stuck with trying out for the Quidditch team as they really couldn’t abandon Taemin now without hurting him immensely in the process. Something neither one of them wanted to do.

 

Sulking they entered the stadium and went over to stand with the rest of the students who had decided to try out. It felt like almost half their house had shown up. There was everyone from tiny first years who looked like they would break just by looking at them to burly 7th years who shot a few heads taller than Sehun. And almost all of them were nervous. It was basically a huge clump of nervousness that had gathered in the middle of the Quidditch pitch. Everyone was shuffling from side to side, eyes quickly looking at everyone without meeting anyone’s eye, quiet whispering between friends. Sehun just tried to stick close to Kyungsoo and kept his eyes firmly to the ground.

 

A door closed somewhere behind Sehun and he turned around (as well as everybody else) to see the whole Slytherin Quidditch team walking up towards them, all of them in their Quidditch robes and carrying their respective brooms (except for Taemin who had managed to get stuck with carrying all of the school’s spare brooms as well as his own). Wait… Was that Tao? Was he a part of the team? Why hadn’t he mentioned this before? Sehun felt slightly offended by the fact that Tao never had mentioned this to him before. Tao was officially no longer Sehun’s best friend.

 

The six of them came to a stop before the group of nervousness and Taemin unceremoniously dropped all the brooms (except his own) to the ground glaring slightly at them as if the brooms had deeply offended him.

 

“Thank you all for showing up.” Amelia said with a loud, clear voice, making sure that everyone could hear her. “As you all know we’re looking for someone to take the place of Seeker-“ the whole group shuffled slightly and murmured quietly in agreement “-but we’re also looking for two people that can be reserves in case any of our main players gets sick or injured. One chaser and one keeper. So if any of you want to try out for that part instead you can do that or if want you can try out for all of them, in hopes of that we’ll like what we see. It’s up to you which try-outs you do.” She smiled at them.

 

Sehun looked at Kyungsoo with raised eyebrows in a question as what they should do and Kyungsoo looked back at him with the same look of confusion. Even if none of them said a word the two of them agreed with just doing the first try-out and if it went well they could continue with the others and otherwise they would just flee the pitch never to return. It seemed like it only was them that didn’t know what to do with these news. Most of the group of students got really happy about the fact of more open positions and they even heard a few fourth years bragging loudly of how good chasers they were so they clearly would get that spot. Before the younglings could realize that there only was one spot open for that and a fight could break loose Amelia clapped her hands to get the attention back to her.

 

“Now most of you probably know us-“ basically everyone nodded their heads, only Sehun and a few first years looked a bit lost “- but for the ones who don’t, we’ll now introduce ourselves. State your name, your age and your position!” She continued, the last sentence ordered to her team.

 

“Hello, everyone.” The guy standing beside Amelia said with wave. “My name is Eric Wrong, I’m 17 years old and I’m one of the chasers. Don’t worry too much about today, just do your best and it’ll be great.” He finished with a smile. Eric was a bit on the short side, a few inches shorter than Amelia and sported unruly brown hair. He seemed to always have a smile on his face (he hadn’t stopped smiling since they’d entered the field) and that smile could light up the world with his perfect white teeth and cute dimples. He made up for his height with being quite muscular, a feature that contrasted with his adorable face. Eric nudged the guy beside him to show him that it was his turn to introduce himself. Sehun recognized him as the poker-face dude Amelia had spoken with after Taemin that fateful day that he wished hadn’t happened..

 

“Taekwoon Jung, 17, chaser.” He said, not batting an eyelid. He was tall, lean and handsome and there was a cold glint to his eyes. Sehun did not want to go against this guy, he was even scarier than Luhan and that said something. A moment of silence fell upon the pitch after the introduction before the girl beside Taekwoon spoke up.

 

“Hi, I’m Ebony. I’m 16 years old and the keeper of the team. I’ve only been here since last year so I know exactly how you all feel. Just remember to breathe and it will all go well.” She flashed a smile and it almost looked like Taekwoon smiled a little too at her encouraging words. But maybe that was just a trick of the eye. Ebony’s appearance was almost doll-like, she was really pretty but it was almost too much, giving her a kind of eerie beauty.

 

Through Tao and Taemin’s introductions Sehun zoned out a bit (he did listen at the part about Tao being a beater though, because a beater? The guy was scared of anything that moved but okay.) trying to calm his nerves a bit as he sensed that the try-outs were about to begin any minute now. And he was right. After Amelia shortly had explained how she was the captain and the other beater of the team it all was about to start.

 

“So we’ll start with the seeker’s try-outs!” She announced. “If everybody who wants this position would go over to Taemin so he can divide you into groups that’d be great and the rest of you can just sit back for now.”

 

Sehun looked over at Kyungsoo with determination. “Let’s do this!” He said and Kyungsoo gave him a nod as answer before the two of them walked over to Taemin.

 

~ * ~

 

They were horrible. And not the horrible “oh, we’re actually okay but comparing to professionals we’re horrible” kind but the horrible horrible. They we’re the worst ones there (okay maybe the girl that couldn’t even lift from the ground was worse but not by much). The first thing Kyungsoo had done was fly straight into the stands, not being able to either stop or turn, fall off his broom and land painfully on the ground. Thankfully Baekhyun and Jongin (as well as a tall dude and a Baekhyun-sized guy that Sehun didn’t know) had run down and immediately helped Kyungsoo to the hospital wing. Sehun himself was the complete opposite of Kyungsoo. He couldn’t make his broom go in any other direction than up and down. He blamed this on nerves and the lack of wind.

 

There was really no surprise when the one chosen for the spot was neither one of them but a fourth year named Minwoo No. He’d been zooming in and out of all the players like they weren’t even there, never being in the way for them either, and he was the only one that managed to catch all the golf balls that Amelia was throwing in random directions. He was now standing next to Amelia, as she was going over something with him, trying to catch his breath as well as discreetly wiping his sweat (damn that kid sweats a lot).

 

Sehun had gone over to sit in the stands to watch over the next try-outs. However he’d realised that no one he knew was watching and he felt really awkward about going up and sitting alone. He could probably have made new friends by sitting down next to another Slytherin or something but he didn’t have the guts to do that. So he settled with going up to the hospital wing to see if Kyungsoo was there still (thankfully the day before Tao had shown him around the castle so now he kind of knew his way around. Maybe Tao could be his best friend again after all).

 

When he sneakily snuck into the hospital wing (did this thing have visiting hours like regular hospitals?) he immediately found Kyungsoo. He was sitting in a hospital bed with his back against the headboard with Jongin beside him (Jongin was on top of the covers though) and Baekhyun sitting on a chair beside the bed. They were all laughing about something and only stopped (kind of) when Sehun was standing right in front of them.

 

“How’re you doing?” He asked Kyungsoo who looked exactly as he usually did, maybe with a bit messier hair than usual but not much.

 

“He’s-“ Jongin started but shut up when Kyungsoo softly elbowed him in the guts.

 

“I’m perfectly fine.” Kyungsoo answered instead. “These idiots just found it extremely necessary to get me here for some reason.” He gave the two others a small glare but they would have none of it.

 

“You broke your arm!” Baekhyun basically yelled.

 

“So?”

 

“And were unconscious!” Jongin retorted sounding just as exasperated as Baekhyun had.

 

“It could’ve been worse!” Kyungsoo yelled back. How they hadn’t gotten the attention of Madam Pomfrey yet with their yelling was a wonder. “But I totally embarrassed myself, right?” He continued after a moment’s breath with a much smaller voice. “Now I’ll be forever known as the one that got himself unconscious at a try-out…”

 

“Actually,” Baekhyun started “I don’t think that many noticed. Most people probably watched the girl that jumped around on the ground trying to lift off or maybe the guy that only managed to fly straight up and down and not in any other direction.” He laughed as Jongin agreed with him trying to cheer up Kyungsoo a little. Sehun felt himself go red at that last comment.

 

“That was me…” He muttered getting the attention of the other three guys.

 

“What?”

 

“The guy who only could fly up or down… That was actually me…” It was quiet for a few seconds as all three of them were looking at him, letting his words sink in. Then suddenly Baekhyun burst out laughing.

 

“Oh my god, really?” He wheezed out between laughs, wiping away a stray tear that had escaped his eye due to too much laughing. “That was you? You’re golden!” Baekhyun seemingly couldn’t stop laughing and Jongin joined him (although not as violently) and even Kyungsoo spared a small smile at the sight.

 

“Hey, at least I made it out unscathed!” Sehun defended himself mistaking Kyungsoo’s smile for a crack at him.

 

“Apparently you did.” Kyungsoo answered with a smirk “You know, we would make a great team. You flying in the vertical line and me in the horizontal.”

 

“Now we just need someone who only can fly in circles.” Sehun said completely agreeing that they should make a Quidditch team. “But that shouldn’t be too hard to find. So we’re good. Think they’ll let us compete in the school tournament?” He asked but before the other could answer Jongin quickly interrupted (Baekhyun was still laughing at the side lines, almost having fallen out of his chair at this point. Sehun didn’t think his terrible flying skills was that funny but apparently the older boy disagreed with him).

 

 “Please just let me teach you how to fly properly before you embarrass yourself and everyone else any further.” He said. Being on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team since his second year he felt quite confident in his flying skills (his teaching skills was another matter but how hard could it be?). “We just need to combine your individual “skills” and then you’ll be good to go.”

 

The two terrible fliers (that could be their stage name!) looked at each other with trying to read each other’s minds before turning to the hufflepuffer.

 

“Deal!” The both said and Jongin smiled in return.

 

“Oh God, this is going to be so much fun.” Baekhyun said as he finally sunk down on the floor, still laughing. “I love you guys.”

 


AN:

What how why what where how upvote what why how wow why what asdsgjshbfjktkynf Thank you~ 

^ what I thought when I saw that this had one upvote

Okay so we know some of the Quidditch players now (all of the slytherins + Jongin) and the others will be introduced soon enough too :3 and the actual plot starts in the next chapter most probably (I'm slow I know... I ...) say whaaaat :O

And I've done something I never thought I would do... I joined the No One Dies This Time kaisooaufest and I'm so scared.... What if I totally disappoint the one that came up with the prompt I took and basically just more than I usually do.... But it's fun so yay :D 

But thank you for subscribing, reading, upvoting and whatevs (no matter if it's by mistake or not)~ We loves you~