Chapter 9

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

Silence was what the girl needed.

And it just had to be ruined by that blonde idiot.

They were enjoying the silent night when Taehyung made a random decision to rap. Ji Yeon had nothing against rapping but that guy was the worst rapper she’d ever seen. And it didn’t help that he was self-praising while rapping (?).

“Yah! You piece of s***!” Ji Yeon splashed him with water, which he quickly dodged. “Can’t you be any louder?”

“Now that you mention it---HERE I GO!” Taehyung yelled out loud that Ji Yeon wouldn’t be surprise if the nearby policeman showed up. “Handsome Alien is my middle name. Wiping up the sunbaes is my thing. Boys look up to me, girls wants---ACK!”

Ji Yeon kicked his feet; causing him to lost his balance and fell into the fountain. She heard the sound of gargling he made, before he struggled out of the water, spitting. He blinked at the girl, who was facing him with her arms on the edge of the fountain.

“How’s the water?” She asked blankly.

“Refreshing.” Taehyung managed grin, placing a hand on her arm. “Care to join me?”

“Get off.” Ji Yeon shook his hand away. She rested her chin on her arms, scanning through Taehyung’s face until finally settling on his eyes. Reaching up, she flicked his forehead, mumbling, “What’s behind your smile, I wonder.”

“Huh?” Taehyung rubbed the sore spot.

“Nothing.” She replied as she had the glazed look in her eyes. She wasn’t stupid. She knew every outer persona had a back-story, and she doubted that Taehyung was all sunshine and rainbow inside.

“You’re hiding something.” Taehyung asked, tracing a wet finger on her hand. “You know, I’m all ears.”

Ji Yeon felt like her insides were collapsing under his words. Did she waver under his spell? Why didn’t she fight him back when she pushed others away? What was so special about this a**hole? Was it because of her hormones? She did admit that he was quite a looker.

She sighed as she moved his hand away from her hand, standing up. She looked down at her watch and mumble out that it was getting quite late, and they should head back.

Taehyung was going to argue but Ji Yeon covered his mouth, successfully keeping him still. He wasn’t all too happy that she’d shut him up. “You’ll open up to me, Min Ji Yeon,” He said with a muffled voice, thinking that she won’t hear him. “Just you wait.”

Ji Yeon let out a smile as she voiced out, “And wait I’ll do.”

 

 

Taehyung was surprised when Ji Yeon invited him into the house. She ignored the wary gazes the butler sent her when he saw the boy, but nevertheless he nodded when she asked for dry clothes. In a flash, the middle-aged man walked back with a fresh set of clothes in arms.

“They were Mr. Lee’s but I think they fit you perfectly,” He smiled warmly and led him to the bathroom nearby to change.

After changing, Taehyung looked around for the girl’s silhouette. She really like to disappear, isn’t she? He groaned. The butler noticed his searching eyes and beckoned him to the stairs.

“She’s at her room, Kim Taehyung-shi.” The butler bowed. “Just make yourself at home.”

Taehyung raised his eyebrows. He didn’t expect the man to know his name, much less treat him like they’re close when he just met him. But he could sense the gratitude and appreciation in the man’s eyes as he silently thanked the boy. Taehyung wasn’t so sure for what he thanked him but Taehyung nodded back, climbing up the stairs.

Finding Ji Yeon’s room was easy for Taehyung, as she had drawn a huge red ‘X’ on her door. It was quite intimidating at first, but he giggled as he caught sight of the snoring girl from the small gap. It amazed him of how different she looked in her sleep.

She had a kind face.

He averted his eyes before he could do something a man would probably regret. Attracted by the bright colours on her desk, he walked over to it. There were four birthday presents in total. All were from Soongi, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, her sister and the servants.

They really care for her, Taehyung thought. His eyes softened at Ji Yeon’s sleeping figure. He frowned at the time, as it was almost midnight. Shouldn’t she be opening her presents now? They were birthday presents for goodness sake!

“Yah, wake up,” He shook her shoulder. Big mistake.

In a blink of an eye, Taehyung stepped back with a red handprint on his left cheek, where Ji Yeon had slapped him. Thankfully, it wasn’t that hard since she was sleeping but he was surprised that she would slap him in her sleep. The girl squirmed and turned to the other side, back facing him. He sighed as he sat besides her. Ji Yeon showed no reaction to that as she continued snoring.

“Sleep well, birthday girl.” Taehyung raked a hand through her hair before tracing her scar.

 

 

After the announcement, Taehyung tried to catch the girl’s eyes. Naeun noticed him and nudged Eunji, nodding her head at the boy’s direction. The said girl blushed bright red and bowed at him from distance.

Taehyung frowned at her formality as she fiddled with her fingers, too shy to look him in the eyes. When they’d first met, he was able to become close with her, thanks to his undeniable friendly personalities and charms. Until Min Ji Yeon moved into the picture and brought them back to the beginning with her well-chosen words. Tsk.

“That little good-for-nothing,” Taehyung muttered to himself as he watched Eunji from the backstage. She started to sing and dance to Apink’s song, ignoring his gaze.

He’d have stared at the girl like a lovesick puppy if it weren’t for J-hope, who dragged him by the ear to their dressing room. Taehyung’s screams of pain echoed through the hallway, causing the staffs to turn their heads at them.

“Ow! Hyung! OW!” Taehyung complained. J-hope finally let go of his already red ear when they reached the room, where the other members were getting ready for their next schedule, which was another fansigning event.

At that thought, Taehyung was tempted to call Min Ji Yeon. Why? You ask. He wasn’t sure himself. But he was her friend, right? And it was normal to call a friend, as they hadn’t seen each other after the girl’s birthday. The group rarely had time for themselves as they had to promote their latest album through music programs. It was the period of time where they’ve to work their a**es off.

When the members were in their van, driving off to their destination. Taehyung decided to give Ji Yeon a call. She didn’t answer at first call but he tried again. First ring, second ring…

“What?” Ji Yeon snapped. Yup, there she goes.

“Yah, is that how you answer your phone?” said Taehyung, chuckling. Yoongi heard his laugh and exchanged glances with Jin, who was behind Taehyung. They both snickered under their breath.

“I don’t believe this,” Ji Yeon let out a sarcastic laugh. “F***. I don’t even care anymore. Why do you even call me again?”

Frowning, Taehyung sensed the bitter tone in her voice, as if she was on the brink of tears or sanity. He pressed the phone to his ear closer, whispering, “Is something wrong?”

“Oh, grand,” Ji Yeon faked a cherry tone. “I honestly don’t know why people ask me that, like I’m the crazy one here. Well, let me tell you. I’m. Not. Crazy.”

“Min Ji Yeon,” Taehyung said softly but firm at the same time. “What happened?”

“Everything,” Ji Yeon let out a deep sigh. “ Everything is totally f***ed up for me here. Do you know what it’s like to live a life where you can’t trust a soul? Where everyone going against you? It tastes like s***!”

“What---Taehyung sat up, alarmed by her words---What do you mean by that?”

“It’s too late for me to smile again!” Ji Yeon cried. “I just can’t stand it anymore.”

“What? You’re not thinking what I’m thinking, are you?” Taehyung shouted into the phone, ignoring the members’ curious eyes. “Whatever it is, don’t do it! I’m coming to your house right now!”

“I had fun, Kim Taehyung,” Ji Yeon smiled. “But I had enough. Goodbye. ”

“Wait! Min Ji Yeon!”

The line went dead.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Ooooh……..

Is this the end?