Chapter 5

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

“Hyung, you can’t do this to me.” Taehyung said as he watched the mansion warily from inside the van. He was having the goose bumps just by being at the front gate of the trouble’s territory. What would happen if he shows her stolen phone to her face? She did mention that his fate wouldn’t be ‘safe’ if he didn’t return the device in exactly two days but you never know with Min Ji Yeon.

“Oh, we can, V-hyung.” Jungkook snickered as he patted Taehyung’s back. Taehyung was tempted to swipe a hand at the kid’s head but thought that it was still useless to do so. They were going to force him to do it anyway. 

Taehyung groaned, burying his face into his hands with regret. “This can’t be happening to me. Someone, please wake me up from this nightmare.”

“Dude, what’re you so afraid of?” J-hope asked with a half-confused smile. “She’s just a girl. A maniac one, that is.” That sent Taehyung back into his shell.

“Oh god,” her murmured between his fingers.

“Just apologize to her,” Namjoon said, trying to reassure the worried boy. “It’s not going to be that bad.”

“Hyung,” Taehyung gave the leader a look. “Everything is bad with this girl.”

 

 

A soft gurgle from her stomach disturbed Ji Yeon’s midday nap. She opened her eyes slowly as if her brain was too lazy to acknowledge her hunger. “I’m hungry.” She made a statement to nobody in particular as her voice echoed through the empty halls. She knew it was pointless since the house was usually empty on Sundays.

Sighing heavily, Ji Yeon dragged her unwilling feet to the kitchen. Even though the Lee household was visiting their villa on the countryside, they didn’t forget to keep the refrigerated loaded with necessary needs for human. And believe it or not, Ji Yeon could whip herself something to eat. She didn’t live all those years alone without learning a few tricks here and there.

Ji Yeon scrutinized through the available ingredients and finally she decided on one dish. Then she started her cooking by dicing and sauteing the incredients. A few minutes later, Ji Yeon could actually feel herself drooling from the aroma and her stomach was getting very demanding. She quickly poured herself a nice big plate of the dish that she successfully made, and she skipped toward the dining table.

She was about to dive into the food when the bell unexpectedly rang. Groaning, she grabbed a nice mouthful of her food and went to answer the door. Why do people always have to interrupt her time of the day? She scowled angrily while slurping her noodles. Oh! It’s good!

Ji Yeon was about to yell at the intruder for disturbing her lunchtime when she gawked at the sight of the person before her. “What’re you doing here?” Ji Yeon demanded.

“Hey I’m really sorry about your phone and I swear I didn’t steal it or read it or stalk you I return it within two days so please don’t include my private parts in this oh and I found your address from Soongi not from your phone!” Taehyung said it all in one breath. He didn’t do that out of fear but more out of ‘I want to get this over with fast’. Yeah, right.

Ji Yeon hanged her jaw open, astonished. She didn’t even hear what he was saying to be honest.

 “Is that food I smell?” Taehyung asked, sniffing out and smelling the indistinct aroma in the air. Before Ji Yeon could say anything, Taehyung slipped through the gap between them, leaving the girl gaping at how thin he could be for doing that.

“Hey!” Ji Yeon protested, closing the door before scurrying after the boy. He bounced towards the dining like a moth to flame.

“Japchae!” Taehyung chirped, taking Ji Yeon’s seat.

Her voice failed her when she saw the boy started to gorge himself into the food she had so lovingly made. He grabbed the chopsticks from Ji Yeon in her frozen state and slurped down the noodles.

The girl recovered back her senses and her attitude started to kick in.

“Yah! Do you always walk into someone’s house and steal foods?” Ji Yeon said, trying to get her plate back but Taehyung took a hold of it and turned the other way. “Hmm!” He protested with his mouth full.

Looking back at it, he hadn’t even eaten breakfast yet so he just couldn’t help himself when there was his favorite dish in front of him. The reason of why he was there slipped from his mind when he saw the Japchae he was craving for lately.

It has the perfect sweet and savoury flavors bursting in his mouth, and the crunchy vegetables—He was savoring the taste when he saw a lunging hand from his peripheral vision. On instinct, he jerked back with the dish in his hands.

“I’m eating here!” Taehyung said with his muffled voice from the noodles.

“Give me back my food! Damn it!” Ji Yeon growled and jumped on him, grabbing the plate as hard as she could. “I just f***ing cooked it!”

“No!” Taehyung refused by applying the same force on the plate.

In slow motion, they lost their grips on it and hopelessly watched the dish hit the floor, shattering the plate into million pieces.

Silence engulfed the room. Taehyung looked at the girl as she continued staring at the destroyed meal. Her ravenous stomach complained from the disastrous scene.

“Technically, you’re the one who pull it first.” Taehyung broke the silence. His face paled when Ji Yeon snapped her eyes at him. He’d never felt the need in his life before to shrink into a fungus. If only looks could kill.

“Out.” Ji Yeon uttered with a dangerous tone.

“But—

“Out! Out! OUT!” Ji Yeon yelled, her hands grabbing one of the broken shards. Drips of blood started to leak from the cut but Ji Yeon didn’t seem to notice as she sent ‘daggers’ at Taehyung’s way.

Taehyung silently nodded and leaved the house. He took one last look at Ji Yeon’s annoyed and dejected face before an idea struck him. Excited, he got into the van, startling the guys from his bouncy behaviour.

“I expect everything is ok?” Jimin leaned in.

“Not really,” Taehyung said, shrugging. “But I need to buy something.”

 

 

Ji Yeon muttered angrily as she ate the ramyun. Her lips were scorched from the heat but she wasn’t in the mood to wait for the noodles to cool down. She watched a rented horror movie, sitting cross-legged on the floor, too hungry to care for manners.

She didn’t care to begin with.

Ji Yeon heard the front door opened, and she didn’t bother to look up, knowing that it was probably the Lee family.

“Ji Yeon-shi?” Soongi walked in, seeing her cousin in front of the TV. “Sorry to disturb you but there’s a gift-wrap with your name written on it.”

Ji Yeon didn’t show any reaction as her eyes stared lifelessly at the TV screen. She brought the ramyun cup to and finished the soup with one gulp. Taking the sign that she didn’t want to be disturbed, Soongi set the gift-wrap beside Ji Yeon’s knee before climbing up the stairs.

Curiosity got the best of Ji Yeon as she tore the object open. Inside were her phone, warm take-out dish of Japchae and a roll of bandage. What the heck, she thought as she her phone. It was intact so her threat did work somehow. She flipped her phone open and her eyes widened in surprise at her lock screen picture. It was the blonde idiot, showing an apologetic smile with the infamous victory sign beside his head. At that correct time, the phone tinged, indicating an incoming message.

 

Before you accuse me of anything, I swear I found them when we bumped into each other at that coffee shop, you know, the jerk as you called it. -Taetae

 

The Japchae and the bandage is courtesy from Kim Taehyung, your new friend =) -Taetae

 

P/S: Treat your hand -Taetae

 

What an a**hole, Ji Yeon gave a snort of indignation. Before she could stop herself, her fingers pressed the buttons to reply back.

 

 

The BTS members were goofing around while waiting for their turn to perform at the Music Bank, the exception for Namjoon, as he was busy discussing matters with the manager. The maknaes line and J-hope were immersed in Bangtan Bombs filming, ridiculing themselves in front of the camera. Yoongi curled himself at the corner of the dressing room while Jin was playing games on Taehyung’s phone.

“Hey, V! Someone send you a text!” Jin told him, pointing at his vibrating phone, which interrupted his game session.

With his guard down, J-hope quickly seized the chance to sneak his shoes away and waved them in a triumph way at Jimin. Meanwhile, Taehyung took his handy gadget and unlocked it, finding the text he hasn’t been expecting at all.

He blinked. Never thought that she’d reply. In million years but she did.

 

Don’t spam me with useless words. –Ji Yeon.

 

Taehyung smiled despite her harsh words. He knew that he’d to live up to his promise with Soongi and he’d do it no matter what the consequences are. It might not be as fun at first hence today’s hangout-ish. But he didn’t have to meet Ji Yeon to be friends with her.

He just has to be there.